Edgewood Health Network Employee Reviews

Nepotism, judgmental,discriminatory & inflexible
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC7 December 2018
There was visible discrimination, nepotism, and unfair treatment of employees. Lateral violence was evident after just one day of orientation on a walk through between. Seemed a bit toxic and evidence of a heirarchy/politics/lack of respect when there should be a feeling of Community and fair treatment. You get a feeling of favourtism if you don't know anyone who works there, so Nepotism is also present. For a healing centre the management staff seem to be judgemtental and discriminatory towards their clients and people who struggle with addictions and mental illness. I.e. giving unsolicited advice-while my back was turned to a fellow prospective coworker (who I didn't know I was competing for a job with until after the fact) just because of her age, that she should be careful not to start a relationship with any of the male clients and that they were quote "sick,otherwise they won't be here"(disease mentality). Assuming that she would be vulnerable and portraying ageism behaviour and labelling. The hiring process needs to be shortened as well, discrepancies with the online job description as well needs to be cleared up and more concise about their expectations for the job and especially their inflexibility with time during training/orientation towards new support worker employees. Because they do make it seem like their flexible with their casuals but they're certainly not , they will hold it against you and choose employees who don't have other responsibilities other than just their jobs over qualified/experienced/educated workers. For example: doctors appointments and  more... family obligations. Clear and direct Communication on both ends, is key for future applicants to get through the orientation aspect of the job.  less
Pros
Food and wonderful clients
Cons
Nepotism, politics, lack of communication, favourtism
Too many politics!!
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC21 November 2018
As a previous employee I found some of my coworkers were amazing to work with, the patients were great, and I learned a lot. The politics though were just too much to handle. There is favouritism galore (if you aren't an alumni prepare to never advance). There is a feeling of a clique where if you aren't a higher up you're not as valued.

I learned better interpersonal communication skills and to watch my own back and not trust anybody. The hardest part of the job was putting in a ton of effort and getting stabbed in the back.

Was told by many senior employees that Edgewood used to feel like family but now it doesn't, which is sad.

I absolutely loved my job and felt like I was making great progress, so to have everything ripped away for no valid reason was quite heart breaking, and no higher ups ever asked me how I was doing for the last two months until I left, not even a "hello".

It is a great place to gain some experience for your next job and some of the coworkers are amazing people to work with, just be careful.
Pros
Free lunches if there is leftovers
Cons
Favouritism, politics
Fantastic culture and great management team
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2018
Management team is smart and kind, with a focus on running a business with a meaningful social purpose behind it. The working environment has a supportive and collaborative culture with meaningful work life balance. Overall an amazing place to work!
Pros
Great food in cafeteria
An Organization that Helps People with Addictions
Digital Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2017
It feels good to be a part of an organization that helps saves families struggling with addiction and mental health issues. The people that have been working there for many, many years are wonderful and passionate about what they do! Senior management not the same and going through changes.
Pros
Free Cafeteria Drinks
Cons
Pay for parking
Highly recommended workplace
Executive Assistant to CEO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2017
Well-coordinated workplace that saves lives everyday. Edgewood Health Network puts high emphasis on Work - Life Balance and treats its employees and clients with respect and compassion.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edgewood Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.

Edgewood Health Network Reviews by Location