Edgewood Health Network
Happiness score is 40 out of 100

Edgewood Health Network Reviews with Jobs

Canada35 reviews

Felt like family at first, then became nothing but politics

At first, I was so excited to get the job! My co-workers were a delight to work with and it felt like family and home away from home. The environment was run quite organically and it was a lot of fun. Then top management came in and changed everything. It turned into one big bureaucracy from the top down. It became more about the money and less about the clients. Micromanagement became ridiculous which just created a stressful environment for the staff. There was no room for autonomy or creativity anymore. Even my supervisors' hands were tied! The organization is trying to make more money and cookie-cut recovery which did not feel like they genuinely cared about the clients anymore. They do not take care of their staff well. Feedback, no problem, feedforward never and they did not acknowledge good work. If you didn't line up with the way they wanted things done, you were considered difficult. End of story.

Cons

lack of care towards employees

Bad environment, great front line staff

Unfortunately I would have to agree with the other one star ratings. This job has a great facade but once you peak behind the curtain, the sights are horrifying. Front line staff are treated horribly by management and used to scapegoat when patients are angry about abrupt changes to the rules that management makes. Management clearly has no other goal than to make money for the company. There is so compassion at all when dealing with staff. As well, Edgewood cuts costs at the expense of its staff and quality of care just to increase their profits. For example hiring completely unqualified staff so that they can pay them below the normal wage a qualified counsellor would make. It is terrifying that people are allowed to become counsellors with no counselling education for people who are extremely sick and paying tens of thousands of dollars to be at Edgewood. It is not just lying to their patients about the quality of care they will receive but it is also morally wrong. Lots of lovely front line staff but not worth the burn out and terribly treatment from management.

Cons

Growing company with talented staff

There are a lot of opportunities for growth in this company. Pay and benefits are decent. Employees are very professional and overall a positive work environment.

Pros

Great co-workers, training opportunities, good benefits and lots of support.

Cons

Challenging work and fast pace environment.

Not Woth The Burnout

At first it's great. The facility looks beautiful, people smiling and welcoming you. But then you start to see how the system works. Frontline staff are hung out to dry by management. The managers will make sweeping changes to the client rules with no regard for enforcement, and then come down hard on staff for "failing to support the changes." Only for management to change their mind about the whole thing because too many clients complained about it.THEY MAKE SKETCHY HEALTHCARE DECISIONS. Decision-making is solely based on cost to the company and convenience for those in charge. They follow IPOC protocols (COVID regulations) when it suits them.Only benefit is that the clients and most of the frontline staff are amazing people and fun to work with. But you will burnout, get depressed, turn to your vices to cope, wonder if there's something wrong with you, and then finally realize that this workplace is toxic. We lost one corporate executive, three resident directors, five clinicians, and countless frontline staff in half a year. Just save yourself the trouble.

Pros

Supportive Peers, Excellent Facility

Cons

Money-grubbing Management, Burnout, Poor Workplace Culture

Amazing company to work at!

Great company and management. I have been here for a year. The management and environment is amazing. I will definitely recommend this company to friends and family.

Stay Away

I've never worked for a company that his such disrespect for its frontline workers. The lack of respect comes straight from the top. Run by a corporation it is clear that money comes before anything else from health of staff to treatment of clients.

sick toxic work environment

Staff are divided and management is not skilled. High turn over !!! They do not support them to have work life balance!!! No mentoring or advancement. Programming is superficial and not client centred.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

Poor management

I would not recommend working here. Poor management, and lack of compassion for staff/patients. Management is quick to react, without including all aspects or all parties involved.

Pros

Training, friendly nurses and receptionist

Cons

Hierarchy

supportive environment and work well as a team; loved it there!

I have never worked in a more flexible and supportive environment. Most of the staff work here because they are compassionate and care a lot about the the patients. Over the past few years management has changed and it is so much better.

Pros

3 weeks vacation; birthday off, sick days, great people, lots of training opportunities

Cons

addictions and mental health is a challenging field; 24/7 hours

Terrible Management, Money over Client Care, Toxic Environment

Initially, this was a good place to work, until a management change in early 2020. Micromanaging increased, lack of freedom and creativity in providing care, no supervision or consultation for psychotherapists, and used fear tactics of losing your job to 'motivate'. Management shifted into profit over care, and unfortunately, a lot of clients suffered in not getting the help for their addiction and mental health. Staff are overworked and threatened, lied to, and punished as management sees fit (anytime someone has an alternate opinion). A significant amount of staff left by/during summer of 2020 due to poor management practices, lack of autonomy, and burnout from watching clients not get the care they needed. Staff are not paid equally, and not provided work equally. Burnout rates were extremely high. Nepotism is rampant.

Pros

might (until their reputation gets around) look good on a resume

Cons

toxic environment, unequal treatment, profit over adequate care for clients

If you work hard and you're dedicated to helping others; you'll love it!

Bellwood is an amazing place to work. While the Management holds you accountable, they lead by example, are very experienced and dedicated to providing excellent patient care. The company is progressive and helpful. The Pandemic was tough but they've bounced back.

Pros

Free lunches

There are lots of other places hiring

This place really went downhill in the last couple of years after a big management change. When the parent company first came in, things were good. But after the medical director changed and the executive director left last year, and some management changed, it’s been a problem. The new medical director is a nice guy, and the other doctors are nice to work with. As are most of the nurses. Most recently they hired a new manager to run the place who has created a very uneasy place to work. The whole place unionized and mostly because of this one person. They have really lost their way and seem to be running the place without a clear sense of what they want to be doing.It’s brutal to see the stuff they publish on mental health care as they are so hard on their staff and are not nice people. There has been so much staff turnover with very few people wanting to stay much long after getting there. Few of the original staff are still there and some of them were recently mysteriously let go (hard workers and good people) No one saw it coming and management kept hiring people afterwards. There are zero perks - only ONE coffee from the kitchen a day. God forbid you have two! They make it very clear. The pay is not great and you have to pay for parking in the lot they own. Everyone is looking for new jobs. The only ones that aren’t feel stuck or are afraid they can’t get a job elsewhere.

Pros

Looks good on resume, some of the people, location, facility

Cons

Everything I said

Don't apply here if you really care about helping people

Management is extremely toxic and tries to run the place on fear, playing one staff member off another. Unlike some other treatment centers, this is PRIVATELY owned, so their overwhelming priority is simply recruiting clients to fill beds. Some of the clients they accept are people with a history of violence and have been kicked out of many other rehabs. Doesn't bother Bellwood; if you have a pulse and enough money, you're in. Senior Management takes a health care approach mostly due to the fact that they know very little about how to help people with addictions. If a client has a meltdown for any reason, you are immediately made to feel like it is your fault and chastised by management. The clients ARE allowed to stay in treatment after they leave the facility grounds to go shop, have intimate relations with each other (co-ed facility) smoke weed or do other drugs, some more than once. Clients regularly scream / spit at staff / punch walls / and physically threaten staff. Management takes no action because they would rather have the client stay and keep paying. This makes is a very dangerous place to work. They don't help many clients here; as everyone who is effective in addictions treatment knows, you cannot coddle and enable people with substance problems.

Pros

Benefits are not great but better than nothing. No other perks, unless you want to count ONE free coffee per day. They also charge for parking.

Cons

Management is among the worst I have ever seen, Constant stress due to dealing with clients who do pretty much what they want 24/7.

Not recommended

I was hired on as an LPN with EHN in Calgary and I was excited. The building is beautiful, I loved the support staff they are beautiful people and with my previous experience in addiction I felt this was it for me. Shortly after being hired I noticed tension in the air and this made me a little leery. The orientation was very poor rushed during the days, and the medical director who is in control of the hiring and firing the LPN’s was so condescending and unwelcoming that it stunned me. After further conversations with the LPN's on staff I was told that in the short time EHN in Calgary had been opened they had fired several LPN's almost all of them and also that the medical director interactions with them had been similar in experience to my own. I started feel like I made a mistake taking this job. After a really bad interaction with the medical director I talked to the site manager about my concern and my regret that this job wouldn’t be a fit for me. The manger who I liked very much convinced me that the behavior displayed was a one off for the MD, so I decided to stay and give it another shot, but only a few days after the medical director told me EHN was letting me go because I was unable to recognize hypertension. I’m a nurse with 20 years experience including working in ER, and working in addictions and being told that I was being let go because I couldn't recognize hypertension was laughable. Suggest that you only take the job if your really desperate, or when a new medical director is hired.

Pros

Support staff, building, and working to fight addiction

Cons

Nursing Management

Very supportive environment

I love working at EHN. I am constantly given positive reinforcement and feedback from my superiors. Management makes me feel supported when I have had to make difficult decisions on the job. I am frequently provided with learning opportunities and new training. There is open communication and teamwork between the nurses, as well as other disciplines. I find that management is very approachable and I can go to them with any concerns. As nurses, we are very autonomous in this environment, therefore allowing lots of room for growth as a nurse.

Pros

given lots of autonomy

Cons

street parking

Never again

The job would be great if you didn't have to deal with management in the house but you do all the time. It's really hard when the people who are over seeing everything are buddy's outside of work it becomes them against you. There's no margin for error, you have one little slip up and suddenly your fighting to stay employed it's sad.

Cons

management

Great potential hindered by poor management

I am impressed with the articulate and accurate reviews about this toxic environment. I can see the truth in some of the positive ones. Both are an accurate description of much of my experience. If you like the work this is a fun place to work because Edgewood hires great staff, but go in prepared to be mismanaged and disrespected. I concur with the remarks made about blatant discrimination, nepotism, and the description of a tight group.

Management horrible and toxic

The best thing about Bellwood is the clients and front line staff. The worst part is management and the toxic culture. Sr. Management spends a lot of time micromanaging staff, watching for little things to criticize and expects overtime without pay. It felt like a cross between mean girls and the hunger games working there.

Ok

Ok, it is a residential treatment center with a fast pace environment. It can offer lots of personal satisfaction and I recommend it for people interested in working in addiction.

Great work environment

A great place to work with great culture. Very knowledgeable staff there to assist our patients with every need. If you are interested in a rewarding career, this is the place for you.

Excellent leadership team that communicates well with their staff. Salaries are good for all positions and its a fun environment to help people. A lot of opportunities for growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edgewood Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement