Eden Gardens - Nanaimo Travellers Lodge Society

Eden Gardens - Nanaimo Travellers Lodge Society Employee Reviews

Management needs work

There has been an extremely high turnover of Administrative staff and Management. It is clear they are unsure of how a union run facility works. Working short a lot. A lot of perm staff are unapproachable

Ex employee

LPNs, HCAs, and support service staff are wonderful to work with; Management not so much. Coworkers are burnt out from being short staffed all the time, shifts don't get called out a lot. Revolving door for HR staff, should show what upper management is about.

Pros

Coworkers and Elders

Toxic

I used to be proud to work at Eden, we had amazing standards and followed the Eden philosophy. New management has ran Eden into the ground while constantly patting themselves on the back for all they do.You never see management on the floor, they’re always “busy” when called to help, we work short staffed EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Scheduling is a mess and management backs them up. The plus side, you’ll always have work because no one wants to be here anymore. The collective isn’t followed unless it suits management that day. The downside- you’ll be short often and no one cares, the Eden philosophy is dead so you don’t need to follow it. Management is incredibly top heavy somehow always able to find money to hire more people. The turnover is huge, all in all the building has went from 10/10 to a 3/10 and that’s being generous.

Pros

Lots of shifts called out day by day

Cons

Short staffed always, not appreciated, no blocks of shifts so can’t plan your week or month, no help from management

Working here is like being with family. The elders are awesome. Work life balance is awesome especially during the pandemic.

I work with a lot of awesome people. Staff care for the elders so much. It is seen in the care practices. When I come to work I feel like I am going to see my extended family. I feel at home when I am greeted with many friendly faces. This home is by far the best I've worked at, and its because we are a work family. We work with each other for the common goal of providing the best care of our elders. I love Eden because when an issue comes brought forward we are All a part of the solution. From my personal experience when I first got a job here I was super excited. It feels good to say I work at Eden. The management has seen a lot of change over the past few years, but it has been positive. We work hard but we also play, with lots of activities that are made for care staff and for the elders. Working here has been a an overall good experience. The hardest part of the job would be the fact we are sometimes short staff. But this is seen all over the province right now during these times.

Pros

The Elders Atmosphere Good people Work-Life Balance (variety of shifts avail)

Cons

Sometimes Short Staffed

Fast paced work environment

Great place to work if you like to be challenged and enjoy a fast paced work environment. Work load is heavy but the reward is amazing. Great leadership! Would recommend as a work place!

Used to be a great place to work when it was Traveller's Lodge on Nelson Street.

When they moved, the working environment became cold and sterile, not homelike in the slightest. Also, the facility went through many disgruntled DOCs in the later years too, which probably added to the ambience. Staff are not happy working there.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, no respect, no good union support.

Amzing people to work with

The management is much for anything but the all the HCA Nurses and support services are amazing care kind people everyone the because they care about the people they are responsible for.

Pay isn't worth the workplace bullying

The concept of eden gardens is great they carry through is not perfect. The dynamic of support services staff and medical staff has a negativity. It starts at the top, treating people like they are beneath you due to position or education without consideration of the overall goal of the elders is crazy to me. If the medical staff management feels that the support staff and care aids are lower than them it trickles down the ladder... Higher management seems disconnect from staff. Often raising up some of the most frequented bullies, apparently clueless or playing favorites. High turn over in payroll/scheduling and with higher management again clueless that the nurses mess with the schedule of disliked employees to throw their schedule off kilter and affect their pay but in doing so causing a terrible problem for their payroll person to fix. The work environment can be really good depending on who you are working with but if you are a casual/on call employee you won't always know who you'll be with and it causes a shortage of casual workers who would rather pick up shifts somewhere else that doesn't have a scheduling mess or anything else... I've been told this is the industry but I thought the Eden concept might help with that environment but instead it has manifested into something altogether different.

Pros

Most workers are kind, host staff events

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, workplace bullying, management disconnected, dishonor employee rights

Wonderful place to work.

I love working at Eden Gardens. All the Care Partners who work there from Dietary, Housekeeping to RCA's and the Residents make it so worth going to work. ❤

Cons

Excellent philosophy of care and move towards better culture

as a new employee with Eden Gardens I can say that my first month has been amazing. With caring and supportive staff, great leadership and wonderful residents, it's clear why this home has the great reputation in the community that it does. There is a move towards a more inclusive and supportive culture but ultimately, the home itself has the most loving and invested care partners I've ever met. Every person seems to have the bottom line clear, we are here for the residents and to make their lives wonderful. there is great support from all levels of the organization on the philosophy of care chosen, The Eden Alternative. I'm so excited to be there and a part of such a great organization.

Pros

great teams, good pay

Busy long term care facility

It is a facility that is busy on a daily basis. I dispense medication, patient care and problem solving. The skills I have learned and practice daily are endless. The workplace is a busy fast paced environment. The hardest part of my job is being able to successfully prioritize the responsibilities and have them completed in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping the seniors and seeing a smile on their face.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Busy environment

Best place to work

First and only care home i have worked at so far in my career. Best place to work by far. Friendly staff and supportive environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eden Gardens - Nanaimo Travellers Lodge Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement