EDC Employee Reviews

Bad culture, disconnect between employees and management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 February 2018
EDC looks good on paper: Nice building, nice gym, “open culture” but you learn quickly that it’s siloed, competitive and the senior management is completely disconnected.
Pros
Cons
Toxic, fake
Great people, ineffective management
Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Ontario27 January 2018
I enjoyed my time at EDC and it was a place that I would have liked to have retired. The best managers always hold people or themselves accountable but it seems the practice of choice amongst managers is to duck the tough stuff. Simply put, the problems are largely the ineffectiveness of managers in their role as leaders. The best managers need to be recognized and rewarded. The least effective need to be moved to non-supervisory roles. That sends a powerful message. Benefits, salary and private sector feel make up for the faults. All in all a good place to work.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Très bon employeur compagnie motivante dix années de ma vie que je ne regrette aucunement
Coordonnateur logistique surintendant Nord (Former Employee) –  Charny (89)10 January 2018
Travail très motivant enrichissant en plus de pouvoir voyager au grand nord Québécois Par malheur la compagnie n existe plus
A good place to start a career
Director, Corporate Research Department (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2016
I have worked for EDC for over 16 years and seen the company going through many restructuring phases. The big transformation that began a few years ago, which intends to change the way the company operates, is very positive and puts it in the right direction. The strong “turf” culture amongst its silos has not been dismantled yet, however, resulting in rigidities that go against the grain of nimble business.
Pros
good work-life balance; possibility of telework, inspiring mandate
Cons
compensation, career-progression, silos mentality
staff underpaid and no room for advancement. Nice building and gym, but Ithe bonuses are only given to seniors and full-time staff.
technical (Former Employee) –  ottawa8 March 2015
I would say the technical support teams are highly underpaid. Good company, but the compensation is minimal. Consulting is far more lucrative and you would have far more opportunities to fulfill career goals.

Full time EDC staff are stuck in their roles for at least two years. Benefits were good, but I did not feel like management were there to help me with my goals.

The Ottawa office is nice, and the gym is free. Bonuses only given to full time staff.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
IT staff underpaid compared to government
Chef de fil
Directeur de Groupe, Stratégies et opérations (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 September 2013
Une société qui joue un rôle de leadership tant au Canada qu'à l'étranger. Elle a comme aspiration d'être la meilleure dans sa catégorie,
Pros
Un des meilleurs employeurs au Canada
Cons
On ne peut s'asseoir sur ses lauriers.