Economical Insurance Employee Reviews

Losing great people due to being a numbers company
Processing administrator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 April 2019
My department lost a lot of great customer service focused people because they are all about the numbers. They want people to push out work- whether is it correct or not. They are not about rewarding excellent customer service and are more about shaming people for not being productive.

People are not valued especially in my department. Our team lead shames us daily for poor production and favours those who can pound out the work with a lot of mistakes.

I have been bestowed a lot of responsibility in my area for mentoring new team members, training on new systems, working on special assignments, loaned to other areas for assistance and then turned down for promotions when I am a perfect fit. I am undervalued and over used. Not compensated for the amount of extra work I do.

The employee morale is super low and the company has no clue or intention to make it better. We are losing more than we are gaining.

A great starting point for a new grad looking to make some money but not somewhere you want to spend the rest of your life and time away from your family for 30 years. High turnover due to undervalued employees
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Micromanaged, shamed about doing this correctly and not just getting the work out
Challenging and Supportive
IT Asset Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 April 2019
I worked with the IT team. The environment can be a little dull sometimes, but there are always opportunities to learn and grow. There is a strong emphasis on attention to detail and the team is highly supportive.
Terrible work/life balance, call centre
Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2019
The only good thing is the salary and benefits. If you like working in a call centre you should apply. No support from Management. Micro managed. Co workers are good.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Call centre
Working at Economical Insurance
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 March 2019
Assisted in invoicing and processing different types of insurance claims, maintaining the customer database, and drafting insurance proposals. Organized all in-going and out-going documents received for claimants and adjusters across the country.
I wake up HAPPY to go to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 March 2019
It's true - I never wake up dreading the day ahead! I really enjoy coming to work each day as the team I work with is so much fun. My manager treats me with respect; I am given autonomy to do my job and I am challenged in a healthy way.

We do lots of team things - contests, celebrations, team building events, enjoy free coffee and donuts etc.

The one thing that is lacking is clear succession planning. It's wonderful to be a part of such a large company, but without clear development paths, it doesn't make me as optimistic about what my succession plan would be 5 years from now.

Overall, I do think this is a great place to work and I plan to be here for a long time!
Pros
discount on car+home insurance, great benefits, ping pong & fooseball in cafe
Cons
unclear development opportunities (i.e. succession planning), some archaic systems used still
Flexibility, Autonomy, good salary
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 March 2019
Excellent employer, lot of flexibility and ability to work from home. Great core values, and wellness initiatives. Yearly reviews and bonuses. Exciting times as they move to a public company!
Pros
Good salary, flexibility, autonomy
Cons
Flexible benefits
Toxic leadership who consistently squeezes everything out of its staff
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 February 2019
The workload is ridiculous with unrealistic SLAs. Teams continue to operate short-staffed while Management expects staff to do more with less.

The more productive a team member, the more work is dumped on to that person. A leader in HR who is the worst control freak and very toxic to the entire department has been rewarded for her bad behaviour by way of promotions.

Any attempts to think outside of the box and be innovate are shot down because it is not considered part of the "process". Executives are more concerned about their bonuses rather than how their toxicity is affecting the culture. Turnover is through the roof.

If you want a reasonable workload in an environment where your ideas are respected, look elsewhere.
Pros
Canadian owned & operated
Cons
terrible leadership, impossible workloads, reactive rather than pro-active, antiquated systems that often break down
I will not work here again
Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 January 2019
I worked for the company for a number of years, which ended last year. The company was good to work for a few years ago, but since demutualization the company has changed from customer service to cutting costs/how to make the most money possible. There is a lot of micro management, not a lot of support from managers. Everyday turned into taking my stress home, even on the weekends, dreading coming in the following Monday. I am a lot happier and a lot less stressed after leaving. After reading some other comments about management and sucking up to your boss, I truly believe that. It seems favoritism is still present, be prepared to compete with everyone else and be compared to everyone else that works there. I am rating the company based on my last year of employment.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Mirco Management, Work will not be recognized fairly
Robotic Work
Finance (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 December 2018
To start, good salary and benefits for the work you do. Room for work-life balance, however, it is difficult to escape the stresses of the job when you leave at the end of the day. Insane micro-managing, lack of trust in employees, and no sympathy for human error. Everything is documented and there can be great hostility between departments. If you are looking for a job with set hours Monday-Friday, good benefits, and doing the same repetitive tasks over and over without truly minding what your career is, this may be the place for you.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, sick days
Cons
Micro-management, stress, occasional hostility
Good
Automation Tester (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 November 2018
Very good and cooperative environment.collbration with team.helped each other. excellent workplace to work learned lots of new things with different prospective.
Overall a good company
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2018
Overall a good company.
Direct manager is amazing.
Good work/life balance although recently, this has been on decline however efforts are being made to address this.
Workplace culture and colleagues are good.
Pros
Cons
Salary is not the best in the industry
Avoid - Too much restructuring
Processing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON3 November 2018
Economical is constantly restructuring. We're simultaneously told that 10% of us are going to be laid off but also to "not worry". Pay isn't that great, especially for such a big company, and last year they decided not to even give any of us our yearly raise.

There's a computer system that tracks everything we do, right down to our bathroom breaks, and I was told that spending 15 minutes throughout the day away from my desk (one bathroom break in the morning and one in the afternoon) was too much and I had to stop.

Very strict scheduling and difficult to take time off. If I have a doctors appointment, there's a good chance taking an hour off from work will be held against me.
Economie
Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2018
Moi j'aime bien travailler car le travaille ces très important
Pros
Rien
Cons
Rien
Old school boys club
Senior Communications Strategist (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2018
While some senior management is good, old school legacy management limits progress and is not honest, transparent or fair. Think carefully before you take a job here.
Pros
free lunches, cel phones
Cons
secrecy, lack of transparency and ethics
Great learning opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON18 July 2018
the organisation provides great opportunities for employees to challenge themselves and increase knowledge. For me working in project management, i have been privileged to deliver projects for different lines of business, this allows me have some understanding of the operational processes and how they fit in the overall organizational strategy
The company will struggle to remain relevant as new upstarts eat away market share for car insurance and property insurance
Senior Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 July 2018
The company faces an existential threat from changing customer needs (e.g. millennials who rent and don't drive), as well as new start-ups keen to erode market share for P&C.
Productive and fun place
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2018
Nice company with worklife balance and friendly people.
Hardest part of the job is the distance from my home is 80 kms
Management is helpful
Too bad it changed
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 July 2018
Used to be a great place to work. . But is now just a shadow of what it used to be.

Don't expect to be promoted unless you are ready to suck up to your boss.
good
Operations Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 May 2018
great first job for me. good wage, easy jobs very flexible hours for a student. Many employees are still my friends outside of work and after switching jobs
Too bad its gone downhill
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 May 2018
Money is more important than employees. . Regardless of their "employee engagement" speeches.

The back stabbers are the ones that get promoted to management. They made my life very difficult in the last year

Too bad. . It used to be a great company
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Beware of aging in this company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Economical Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.