EB Games

EB Games Employee Reviews

Canada388 reviews
you scan the box, you make box, label the boxes and pick and pack they are nice people working there , the time are very short so you get to go home early.
Cons
hours are very short
Fun place to work. Perks can be great!

Senior management is poor at communicating, avoided conflict questions and deflected operational enquiries when challenged to provide answers or direction.
Pros
Discounts on games, swag and fun merchandise
Cons
Employee retention and development is not a part of the culture, very litte support from senior management, Pay below scale.
The very first person I was interviewed by was amazing. The staff were great They what kept me there but they all began to leave one by one because of the toxic culture. The manager was horrible and basically had everyone run the store so she could vacation. The store manager also took all of our incentives and gave them back as gifts. I don't recommend working here.
Pros
You learn about sweet new gaming stuff
Cons
The company is run terribly
You do, note-worthy good deeds and get fired. Then they talk dirt about you after your gone. Childish district management, minimal reward for maximum effort and efficiency. The in house insurance is a total cash grab.
Pros
Not taking the job, would have been a pro
Cons
Taking the job!
I didn't mind my time at EB Games, but my major problem was that I wasn't given enough time on the cash registrar. Their main reason for letting me go at the end of probation was that "my numbers were not where they should be". I think it is silly that we are expected to make a certain amount of numbers, but don't even get commission for it.
I worked as management for a year. Constant toxic environments, competitive managers ,constant gossip. Excessive work loads. They expect you to constantly do well with numbers while informing you there is no benefit for doing so, other then working more for them. Recently they laid me off without a blink of an eye, after 2 years in the company they decided I wasn't useful anymore.
Pros
Some health benefits
Cons
Everything mentioned above
Management and staff are always friendly and helpful. Very knowledgeable about their products. Willing to offer helpful suggestions and tips. Always a pleasant environment.
I worked there for two and a half years, sometimes the customers are rude and you don’t have a say and sometimes you deal with stealing in the end it’s a low end retail job.
If it wasn’t for the coworkers I had I probably would’ve found a better job sooner, the management at a store level was fine but at higher levels it gets a little off putting I got payed minimum wage the first year I worked there and after two pay raises due to the minimum getting bumped up I was still minimum wage.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at EB Games?
EB Games has become a sisterhood of women trying very hard to avoid becoming a 'boys club'. I'm telling you right now, if you're a male, you are going to be passed over for every single female who come through. I worked there for eight years. Fully trained as management but refused promotions again and again while they hired females off the street with no experience and paid them higher wages than I had instantly. This place does not care about you, the product the sell or the customer they sell to. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Literally none
Cons
Games are now taking a back seat to collectible junk and toys
Like video games? So did I. Then I worked here. Now...not so much. Never met so many entitled customers than in this industry. Management is poor as well. An analog company struggling to stay afloat in a virtual world. They have resorted to selling toys and knick-knacks as their main revenue. I don't see this company lasting more than 5 years, hope I'm wrong.
At EB Games you have an easy time getting in as a part time employee. Its easy to work there if you are a proactive worker who is self starting. There is always something to do. Being able to talk to customers about games, their experiences and getting to know them is one of the highlights of the job. The pace can be slow but the environment is friendly. Its a great job as a student. The job is not hard and there are no challenges.
I had a lot of fun working at EB games, staff have a good gaming culture. I got along very well with my work colleges as we shared very similar interests in the same games. Work goes quickly when having fun.
its a fun and fast-paced workplace. learned how to work with a deadline and also working in a large team. lots of opportunities to learn new and exciting stuff.
- Good workplace if your interest is in video games
- You will learn people skills

- Most enjoyable part is disusing gaming culture with others

- Hardest part is just dealing with unreasonable customers
It was a great experience to work at EB Games, they really helped me improve my skills, Good Working hours, the Nice environment at workplace, Decent Salary
Pros
Good Breaks
Cons
Contract Based
Like most people say the management for this company are idiots. For example: One summer our Air conditioning broke in the store and management spent over 3 weeks deciding whether to pay to fix it or not. Hours range from 3-8 hours a week depending on the position and you'll just quit out of frustration.
the employee discount is the same as a platinum egde card
not worth the stress to stay here for a long time, there is no advancement iun the company unless you are very lucky
It is a very good place to work if you videogames and even nerd culture. The environment is very nice, customers are very nice most of the time, the coworkers are very friendly and they present a variety of products depending on what product the customer wants.
awesome place to work for culture, seasonal can get stressful because, christmas, you know. maagement at chinook are awesome! really great bunch there. the money is obviously not good, its minimum wage and scraps for hours until around november, then you get about 30 per week which is great. would reccommend for someone with no/low financial obligations, if you get full time its pretty good.
Each customer has different requests & a variety of questions. i get extremely knowledgable customers, who I think know more than me. As well as parents who don't know much & are looking or answers to their questions & recommendations. My basic job requirements is to be knowledgeable about specific products & have up to date information, know release dates & prices.
Loved everyone I worked with, all the staff at all the stores are great people that share a passion for games and the culture surrounding them. Work is metrics-driven like most retail with a focus on customer engagement and proper store maintenance. Store managers are understanding and more than willing to schedule around your life if you're a normal associate.

Distract Management and above have absolute 0 clue how the stores actually run. Constant pointless, often detrimental orders from Head Office, required nightly email full of information the DM already has access to, constantly changing promotions and sales that make no sense. Stores aren't going to be getting extra copies of games on launch anymore. PRE ORDERS ONLY. The company is basically forcing itself to go out of business.