Eataly

Eataly Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
2 floor managers, since fired or quit, brought the word "incompetent" to Trump-like levels. Training is non-existent. There was an abundance of pretty young Italian girls hired as sales associates that could barely speak English. Yup, THAT was excellent customer service! Procedures were changed daily...one day you're told to do things one way, the next day it was 180% turned around, which you'd only find out from fellow staff and NOT management. Favoritism is brought to an art form
Pros
Positive interactions with customers, very few "Karens". Many co-workers were great
Cons
Overworked and under-informed GM
Management doesn't care about employees, no advancement opportunities and the customer can treat employees badly but they will not defend employee. When one applies for promotions they dismiss employees.
Pros
Food on site
Cons
Management is horrible, employees cry in the washroom
I will no recommend this company. They present themselves as part of an ethical company, but it is not true at all. The workplace is not safe; there is not enough protection about the risk of burn yourself; the floor was slippery; some managers are not well prepared for emergencies.
Experiences with HR was terrible. I and others had waited for the badge three months before we got it. The HR manager seems uninterested in the problems that concern the employees.

Since I worked for, I've never seen a rightfully separate collection and, it seems that none doesn't care about it.

I recommend to those who will read to look forward and avoid working for this company.
Pros
If you want to be an employee of Eataly and want to work hard, be punctual, have skills, share those skills training others and get nothing in return ...well then Eataly is the place for you!
If you want to learn all that is negative about a career in food/hospitality industry then Eataly is a great experience!
Managers are very two faced. The Environment is very Cliquey and Toxic. I was looking for Full Time Hours and leading up to the Opening of the Restaurant I was only given one Shift which
Pros
Cons
Management, Employees.
Not a good working environment, unfair part time scheduling, incompetent and horrible facility manager who makes the schedules, he doesn't know what he is doing.Not complying to health and safety regulations especially when you are working or assigned at dishwashing area.Managers don't watch and care for employee's safety.Not even monitors if the dishwashing pit is running out of soap would not provide you PPE,you have to provide your own.Unbelievable!
Absolutely horrible place to work. Favourite picking, unprofessional management. Management take no accountability for their own mistakes and blame hourly workers. Awful customers. Terribly physical work. I hate this place more than anything and avoid working here unless you are extremely desperate.
There is no sense of community , management is terrible they bully and intimidate and pick favourites , It is the most toxic work environment I have ever experienced .
Work is gruelling, very physical and an accident prone environment ,there is no proper training , the place is chaotic.

The company doesn't care about there employees what so ever .

they say theres a family meal and its a food place but everyone who works there complains they never get any food and its usually horrible one of my coworkers compared it to prison food and the cafeteria is a mess. they cut corners on everything throw out so much food and are very frugal stingy towards staff . no breaks except for a mandatory half hour unpaid lunchbreak

The place is always understaffed and yet they keep hiring and fireing a high turnover alot of favouritism going on every worker is overworked and dissposable to the company . there is no job security no sense of teamwork

the company doesnt even wish you a happy holiday or have any social events or staff get togethers nothing not even meetings.
Brutal sweatshop! On January 6 Eataly terminated all of its non-Mexican work visa employees in its hospitality department. They did this because they can pay the Mexicans less than minimum wage ($11 to $13 an hour I hear), they can make them work many hours overtime without additional pay (so I hear) and they can make them work to 2 am and then come in again at 7 am the next day (haha!). All of this is supposed to be illegal, but is apparently fine with our government!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Eataly?
Loooooong shifts just standing around and a lot of physical work. This place was WAAAAY too hyped up and doesn’t meet expectations. Not paid enough for how much work plus cleaning you have to do! Wasn’t trained properly either...
No breaks even during 8 hour+ shifts (this is illegal). Low levels of organization and training. Managers do not care - slightest mistake can get you fired if not singled out. Management constantly overschedules staff and then complains about being understaffed. The tips and compensation are not worth the labour here. Any competing restaurant pays more.
Got hired as sales associate and my first day of work i was bussing for 8hrs. After telling them i wont buss lifting the dishwasher rack back n forth for 8 hrs i got fired....
I was expecting to be trained on the cash register or explain the items and product they have at each station. No one trains you. All items are in italian, so you have to learn basically italian. UR NOT IN ITALY HELLOOO
This is arguably the worst company I’ve ever worked for.
- work 6-7 hours with no break

- “free staff meal” was never enough for for FOH

- always discrepancies with pay and hours worked

- tips and gratuities not fairly disturbed, never tracked or see what each employee make.

- rude and condescending clientele

- bad management especially managed from other locations

- staff
-Waiters are charged for using credit card machines.
-Pooled tips, you never see your tipout.

-Hostess was forced to dishwash on opening week.

-Managers still don't know how to pronounce their dishes 3 weeks In.

-Understaffed, they bring support staff from Italy/US and paid them miserable, don't give them canadian contracts.

-AGMs have little to none previous management experience.

-GM was a waiter before this gig.
I've had a couple of amazing months working at Eataly; opening has been definitely a huge learning curve for many of us; it was not an easy task ,and it is not for everyone, however I couldn't be happier to be a part of this experience - it's great to see how things are coming together.

Just over the last couple of months I learned more than I did in years; it absolutely made me a better employee and a manager.

I like the teams, work environment and culture overall; could see myself growing and advancing with this company.

If you are ready for hard work that will pay off by your personal growth - you should definitely apply
They said they are going to train me and teach everything about pizza, they did not train anything about they told lie and I didn’t like my manager’s high-handed manner. They just wasted my time and I missed other job opportunities because of them.
Opened Toronto. Fourced to work 75hrs a week. No days off. Unprofessional management and HR. They don’t care about their employees at all. The place is just lost, nobody has direction. Feels like working at a Costco. Would not recommend working with Eataly.
I did the grand opening at Eataly Toronto at one of their restaurants. Bad work environment, where they force you to work long hours without having the chance to get any food at the end of your shifts. Slavery is what I experienced with Eataly.
Very bad on the interviews. Don't waste your time. They don't seem to care or as engaging. They will never give you a chance even if you have the experience for whatever position you are applying for. If that is the culture of the company, that is not good
Pros
If you have any professional cooking or pastry experience, don't bother applying here. After securing an interview and being asked a total of TWO questions by someone in management who seemed completely disinterested, I decided that this wasn't the job for me. This was very unprofessional, lacked respect, and more than anything, wasted my time looking for a respectable job.
Pros
Cons
poor from the very start