Eastern Health Canada
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Working at Eastern Health Canada: Employee Reviews

Canada143 reviews

healthpatientpositiondepartmentstaffshiftpacelong

Great workplace for learning and developing administrative skill set as you have to work in several different departments

Climbing the casual list can be a slow process so you have to be prepared to work years before getting a permanent position. Constantly getting knocked down due to seniority taking precedent. People from other departments who have more seniority can come in and jump ahead of you.

Pros

Salary is decent

Cons

Lack of morale due to management and the length of time it will take to get a permanent position

Worst place I ever worked in my life.

It is by far the worst place I ever worked. I had more managers than staff in my department. I I would not recommend this employer to anyone. I was injured there in 2014 and am still going to Physio every week because no one believed me. Absolutely a horrible place to work. I left there in 2020 and it is the best move I ever made. Had I stayed, I would probably be in a wheelchair now.

Insights into Eastern Health Canada

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

A thankless place to work

Eastern Health is a too large health authority. It is not run efficiently. There is no attempt to retain staff or to make their staff happy. You are replaceable to them. Budget matters above their workers.

Coworker made the work place fun

Hospital is run down but work culture is amazing, which make working bearable with the acuity we have. A great place to learn from and get your experience.

Good Pay, Great Place to Learn New Information

As a casual, call in employee you have to be ready to work at any time of day in order to get all of your hours. Pay was good and OT pay was good. Some employee politics involved, stepping on toes of permanent employees just by doing your job. Job was physically demanding, long hours on your feet, as well as lifting, pushing, pulling.

Pros

Good Pay, good benefits, easy to reach management, very understanding with shifts and communication, learn lots for potential growth within

Cons

employee politics, no place to leave your belongings as a casual employee, uncertain if you would get your hours for the week

Ok workplace

Short staffed always. Fast paced environment. Management takes no leadership. Nurses doing roles of several others and their own just to get through the shift.

Pretty good place to work

I have always loved working at Eastern health but the last few years the workload has become too much for one person. Talking to management is not always taken seriously

Business is the priority not patient care and definitely not staff care.

Management only concerned with the bottom line, not patient care. Desperately and dangerously understaffed. Maybe look at how staff are treated and patient care priorities and you'll find out why you can't keep staff. If you want to save money stop creating further layers of management. Managers managing managers is not what is needed here.

Cons

Too many to list.

Stressful and overworked

The job position I held at the facility was quite demanding. The workload increased without any support from management. I was hired on in an LPN position, however, other duties were required in a clinical environment. I was doing clinical duties, ordering supplies, responsible for telehealth video conferencing, responsible for methadone screening, etc. Instead of hiring on clerical in this department, management expected the LPN to do these extra duties.

Good Work Environment

It really depends on which department you work. I worked for Environmental Service Department and the management are approachable and friendly. But a temporary call-in position can be annoying especially when you are an anxious type of person.

Pros

Good pay with benefits.

Cons

Mostly 8 hrs shift, it feels like you live at the workplace.

Great Place to wok

They look after their workers, and provide a great place to learn new skills and develop your knowledge as a nurse They need to open up LPN scope more

Pros

Great learning opportunities

Cons

Lack of work-life balance, long hours/overtime, high workload

Very short staffed. Especially in rural communities. Long hours and overtime. High patient ratio. All very dependent on the department/unit you work. Nursing staff and allied health are amazing and team oriented. Managements hands are also tied for the most part with short staffing. Some management are harder to deal with than others.

Pros

Coworkers, team setting, ok pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours/overtime, lack of appreciation, no work/personal life balance, short staff, high workload, and high patient ratios, little approval for time off.

great colleagues

Management, particularly HR, were not staff focused and were slow to arrive at resolutions even when presented with definitive evidence. Caseload were crushing, resources were scarce and waitlists were large.

Pros

fantastic team of co-workers.

Cons

non supportive HR and management.

Some positives, but a lot of negatives

There are some good aspects to working there. A good group of co-workers, some good managers, a steady schedule. But so many negatives. An upper management that has no concept what's actually happening on the ground. Budget cuts that affect the frontline workers where they can least afford the cuts, and then downloading the work from the positions that were cut to the remaining employees, making the work situation for many untenable. I was doing the work of three people, but with no increase in compensation.

Pros

Steady schedule Good benefits

Cons

High workload Out of touch management

Terrible company to work for. Mgmt care about themselves and their pockets...

Being a pharmacist is a bonus, but not a RPt, don't waste your time as a RPt, UNLESS you don't mind being a bottom feeder, or doing work a 10 year old can do...As long as the director and higher ups line their pockets, is all that matters.

Pros

Nothing, unless you want to count the jump into self hate, and worthlessness that this department forces you into.

Cons

Life long misery.

Inequality overall

Not a great place, Pay scales are low and not consistent with jobs, reclassification process which they always talk about, takes years and still no guarantee.

Pros

Cons

Inequality

Company does not promote from within.Culture is outdated and technology is as well

Company has too many managers. They need to procure technology that is up to date for the entire organization. The managers do not listen to the workers when they make recommendations.

Cons

No chance for advancement

some of the supervisors and/or management dont have a clue on how to run the day to day operations and they just dont care if the work is getting done or not. They are there for the paycheck

Pros

Pay is great and all related benefits are awesome

Cons

supervisors that only care about the paycheck

Everyone is willing to help with training and learning. If they have time as it is a very busy environment. Depending on which areas you end up working in, larger busier areas are a much faster pace.

Difficult to get FT

Great place to work but it’s temp call in or contract. Can take years to become full time unless you want to work in LTC. Positions go by seniority versus having the best suitable candidate for the position. Union does nothing but take dues.

Pros

You get paid

Cons

Temp Call In

Do your job go home because no one cares

Definitely needs a more professional support from Supervisors It’s not good when you are told they deserve more pay than you doNo incentives to stay on focus or if you are amazing or not The moral is horrible I would love to run it

Pros

Good cleaning for less infections

Cons

All about just getting a shift covered

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eastern Health Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement