East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

Mostly all staff are respectful and gracious, great job experience, good introduction to the food/service industry
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON18 February 2019
A typical day at work includes clearing, cleaning, and resetting tables quite often, pre-busing tables' dirty dishes, doing bathroom checks to ensure there are no shortages of toilet paper/paper towel/soap, greeting and leading customers to their tables and answering the phone. I definitely learned time management, due to the fact that I would often work shifts where there would be busy rushes of people, and how to efficiently clean lots of tables in short period of time. Another lesson that derives from that would be prioritizing tasks, especially, once again, at the busy peak hours of suppertime. However, a whole new can of worms would be learning to work in the service industry, being face to face with customers constantly, trying to help them as much as you can. Customer service can be extremely challenging at times, especially when there are impatient people whom you're dealing with. Overall, most of my co-workers treated me as equal and with respect, but there were a few who were rude, demanding and condescending on multiple occasions, but most of the time I would go home thinking it was a good shift because the working atmosphere often distracts from personal interactions. The hardest part of my job is likely the stress of trying to quickly figure out where to put a group of guests when the restaurant is busy, especially when it is a larger group of five or more adults. Trying to stay cool under pressure only works for so long and with the added task of dirty tables to clean everywhere, it can get to the point where it feels extremely overwhelming. The most enjoyable  more... part of my job was being able to work with the people I became friends with, because they helped pass the time on shift a lot faster in comfortable environment where we have each other's backs.  less
Pros
20% off discount at other CARA restaurants, half-price food on shift if paid for by cash
Cons
Short shifts
Horrible place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 February 2019
The staff is atrocious, extremely rude and unprofessional. It’s not a team dynamic, you are left with no help. Getting appetizers, pooring and making drinks yourself, running food and bussing everything; all while having an entire full section. I was never really sure what the point of tip out was here. The management is actual trailer trash and has absolutely no idea how to talk to people- let alone know how to put a few words together. The restaurant itself is literally falling apart and there are leaks EVERYWHERE. The food is disgusting, I wouldn’t even eat it when they offered it to me for free. The customers are typical Scarborough people- scary and cheap. The rudest clientele you will ever encounter. DO NOT WORK HERE. Save yourself the stress and keep looking.
Pros
Cons
Staff, customers, gross food
A Fun and Exciting Job
Host/Server/Bartender/Dishwasher/Cook (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB7 February 2019
Working for East Side Mario's could, at times, be immensely frustrating. But, overall, I spent nearly five years working for the restuarant in both Camrose AB and Red Deer AB. I loved working there and I really cherish a lot of the friends and memories I could make there. Management had its ups and downs, but the determination to keep the workplace fun and team oriented was an overlapping theme for every day I worked there. If you enjoy fast paced work, teamwork, and a fun environment than an East Side Mario's is a good choice for you. That and the tips are always good! Definitely recommend for any college students looking for work!
Pros
Tips, Discounts on Food, Flexible Hours
Cons
Stressful at times
Productive place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 February 2019
The restaurant was pretty much always busy. The environment was fast paced. The staff was lovely to work with, and the managers tried their best to accommodate to everyones schedule.
Busy environment with fun staff
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC5 February 2019
The environment is fun and keeps you busy. There is never a dull moment and the environment is supportive. The management is creates some tension within the company but overall it's a good environment.
Pros
Great tips
Great Pasta
WAITRESS (Former Employee) –  1861 Robertson Rd30 January 2019
Great family restaurant that has a variety of different pastas. Great for the family and nice for birthday dinners. The best party was singing happy birthday for customers.
So Much fun
BARTENDER/SERVER (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 January 2019
Working in a restaurant was an extremely satisfying job. The ability to fully be yourself and give people what they actually want: a drink and some good food. Amazing co-workers, amazing owners and management, and amazing atmosphere all together.
fun
Hostess and Busser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB29 January 2019
It was very fun to work here, many young employees, lively, and family environment so you get to meet many different people. Easy to learn new things and great place for a first job.
Structured job requirements. Good work atmosphere.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 January 2019
Good relationship with Kitchen Manager and Restaurant Owner. Unfortunately turnover was an issue which caused a lot of friction with the other staff. We were under staffed quite often. I had to cover a lot of shifts, but unfortunately that is the nature of the business.Overall though I helped as much as I could and we parted with respect.
Pros
Good equipment
Cons
Working longer than scheduled
Other employees are amazing but management/ way it is run is horrible
SWING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 January 2019
When I started here it was an amazing place to work but in the past 8months it has went so down hill and is run horribly. They can’t keep managers so they rely on servers/bartenders to do way more than their job should entitle. The owners never show any thankfulness to any of their employees.
Pros
Good tips and money
Cons
Management here is going down hill. It is run horribly currently.
positive people and workplace
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 January 2019
the management is understanding and they are there for you when you need them. they are a family there. i enjoyed the work place and the people who work there are so nice and friendly.
Pros
20% off when you are on the job and 15% off when u dine in.
Cons
long hour and working hard for money.
did not like working in this overly hostile work environment
Manager, Server, Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2019
was an extremely hostile working environment. Management was unapproachable. issues were not dealt with and no matter how hard the staff worked it was never good enough.
Productive and fun place to work with other staff.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 January 2019
Personally I believe this establishment has much to improve on when it comes to management. There is barely any communication and staff are ridiculed and punished for things they have done wrong without knowing what they did wrong. They care more about filing their own pockets and exploiting money from the staff to make a difference in the lives of their staff. Turnover rate is very high
Cons
Long hours without breaks
separate space for Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON9 January 2019
it was hard work, long hours standing up,first job with good pay, polite staff to work with, radio music to keep me occupied while I worked,on the busiest days of the week it was hard to keep up with the servers.
Pros
good pay
Cons
standing up the whole shift
Will never be a dishwasher again
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  North York, ON7 January 2019
A typical day at work would be 10h shifts with no breaks. None of the staff got fed (even though we were supposed to), so I went hungry pretty often. Lots of manual labour, working conditions were very unpleasant. The management was ok. I learned how to function as part of a team and learn new skills quickly. The workplace culture was awesome and my coworkers were very warm and welcoming. Sometimes on a busy day, they would lend me a hand. The hardest part of the job was all of it. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with co-workers.
Pros
Co-workers were very friendly, free meals sometimes
Cons
10h shifts, lots of manual labor, very exhausting work, very humid, unpleasant job
job was not so great but team made it bearable
host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2019
Team pulls their own weight and the management doesn't. Management could treat the team and employees better. Busy all the time and system kinda sucks.
Pros
bread is good
Cons
treated poorly and working here is stress inducing
great people bad union
LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 December 2018
was great working with people there, but their union does nothing for you and if there is a problem that comes up it wont be brought to your attention
Pros
discount on food
Cons
union
Do not recommend
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON13 December 2018
Needs to work on better training their management. Was a hostile environment with little appreciation, low tips and the clientele was not the greatest.
awfull negative work place
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 December 2018
Oakville location is filled with functioning druggies and drunks.
the most poor kitchen system iv ever seen in my life as well as management . you don't get scheduled breaks and they get mad when oyou go for a smoke.
Pros
the people are nice ... i guess
Cons
no breaks, lazy employees, discusting kitchen
Amazing place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON6 December 2018
This is very good place to work and is very efficient. The staff is very nice and understanding. They are fun and joke around to make everybody happy and having fun.
Pros
Fun
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Side Mario's. Our community is ready to answer.