East Side Mario's Employee Reviews

Family atmosphere, cheap meals
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2018
Be prepared for a strong family atmosphere. Average cheque is very cheap (30-40$) resulting in poor tips with increased effort from the service staff.
Great first job
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON4 September 2018
This job is a great first job for anyone trying to work part time and make some spending money. The owner/boss is a very nice lady as long as you do what is expected. Overall great first job.
Pros
great teamates
Cons
burns cuts etc.
enjoyable workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 August 2018
I enjoyed my time working there, I learned how to cooperate with people and work well under pressure. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to talk to new people everyday.
Was a good place to work at
Host (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON30 August 2018
Very professional experience with exceptional staff, I highly recommend this job to anybody knew to the work force it was also a good learning experience.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Not enough hours
not enough hours
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON29 August 2018
good training program. Learned how to deal with guests as well as co-workers but that depends on the owners. There is a disconnect between head office and the restaurant level. More focus on numbers than on great guest service. There are many good people who are not recognized or utilized as much as they could be.
Great Place to Learn to Serve
Work part-time as a hostess and server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2018
Started as a hostess, and switched to a server.
Set and clean tables, occasionally make salads.
Take food and drink orders, run food and drinks.
Bar tending, and able to make drinks.
Bad experience
Back of House Kitchen (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 August 2018
To begin, the weekly hours given could be 10 hours one week to 84 the next, very unpredictable. Breaks are not given unless taking up smoking. There is no clock in or clock out, only the active managers "goodwill". There is no free meals whatsoever, including on a 14 hour shift with no breaks. Much shouting in the kitchen rather than cooperation. Weekly drama within staff. They do not pay your hours worked and try to undercut you many hours each week so you need to keep track of it yourself. etc. etc. etc.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No free lunches, no breaks unless smoke, constant shouting, under-appreciation, etc.
It was the manager
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 August 2018
East Side Mario's is an amazing place to work at but the manager of the upper james location, mike, was an absolute nightmare. Would make you feel like you were doing nothing and would come into the restaurant and the busiest times and stand right in the way and not respect us enough to move. Even if you did everything you could for that man, he would walk away faster than you could say thank you.
Cons
manager
Busy and fun work place
Server (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS11 August 2018
Working at East Side Mario's is usually very busy, and involves handling several or more tables at a time. While working here I have improved my time management and multitasking skills. As a server and bartender you wait on many tables, while also making drinks for everyone in the restaurant. Work days can be quite stressful, but working with a great group of people makes it a lot more enjoyable.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Don't get a break
It felt like one big family
Line Cook, Prep Cook, Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 August 2018
They started to go under an could no longer pay employees, other then that it felt like i woulf leave my home to go to my second family. If you had a bad day someone would cone to see if you were okay or needed help.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Cleaning up after the lazy ones
good working conditions
Hostess/Expo (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 July 2018
management can improve
working environment should be less harsh to new employees
improves staff stability
more working benefits for people who take last minute shifts
Good place to work face paced
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 July 2018
You're off to the races here. You'll always have something to do and customers coming in. There's always room to move stations and positions. Hard workers are rewaded with good hours and good constant shifts.
Pros
50% off food when working
Cons
Long hous and perticular managers.
Steady pace atmosphere
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 July 2018
There is always something to. Difficult to get bored and complacent. Love the environment. Most of the staff are friendly helpful and try to compromise all our guests
Very interesting place to work
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Dixie, ON4 July 2018
But I gotta admit the weekends do get a bit hectic. Overall my experience at ESM has been great. The work environment is very friendly and they are willing to help you teach things about the job. There are events almost three times a month so you get to have some fun yourself. I would definitely recommend it to a person who has never worked before but they are looking to try out their hand in some type of field.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 July 2018
Management was difficult and staff turn over was high. No consistency in procedures. Lack of teamwork which made for an uncomfortable environment. Wasnt happy here
Nobody likes each other and the work hot and uncomfortable
LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 June 2018
It seemed as though everyone hated working with each other when I worked there. No one really cared about the quality of the food and preferential treatment was given to the manager's friends.
Great restaurant but bad management
Server (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON26 June 2018
I loved the staff who worked there and the job itself. Training was great. Unfortunately the management staff were awful and very rude with their employees.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Awful Management
Good workplace, can be unhealthy occasionally.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON23 June 2018
Very stressful environment, unhealthy to be around too much. Management varies and isn't always in full involvement, back ground checks are questionable.
Pros
Tip out, discount.
Cons
Long hours, stressful and very fast passed.
first job in Canada with good experience
Worked in back area (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON17 June 2018
the management was really helpful and cooperative. they helped me to improve my skills and gave me the confidence to work in a Canadian environment. I worked there as a part-timer.
Pros
good staff
Cons
less hours
Fun environment and amazing coworkers
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2018
Overall, the scheduling system is a bit of a mess, and the salary is less than desired, but it's a fantastic environment to be working in and the staff is absolutely excellent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Side Mario's. Our community is ready to answer.