East Penn Canada

East Penn Canada Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
Great fellow employees, snake management
Good guys to work with, management was not trust worthy. I enjoyed the people I worked with and our operations manager was great. Upper management was not willing to admit there mistakes and if something that was implemented was not working, they would just keep beating it to death rather than put things back to the way they were before.
Come in and work hard, fast and accurate
Fantastic entry level warehouse job, but better be a really good forklift driver no room for error due to dangerous goods
Lots of opportunities for the go getters
Customer service
The company is good for personal development. I like the place I would ti recommend any person want to stay long there. My shift to another city that why I left the job.
Friendly staff, paid well with decent benefits.
East Penn Canada is a fantastic company to be a part of. It is one big family, everybody gets along and helps one another out. You'd be hard pressed to find someone you don't enjoy working with and that would be because management does a great job and hiring those with personalities to match the existing staff. It is not a difficult job, but with great benefits and decent pay.
Workplace culture
Fast Paced, tight deadline yet friendly work environment. At least you don't get demotivated by anyone's behavior as long as you have a positive attitude.
Micro Management to the Extreme
Try to avoid at all costs. Regular firings or employees quitting because of the management style, or lack there of. There are regular company wide communications about long term employees leaving. No decisions are allowed at the branch level because the second floor executives don't trust the people in the field. Sales reps are regularly monitored by GPS and their jobs are threatened if they do not meet unrealistic performance goals. If you play hockey, though, then you can punch your ticket to being a second floor executive.
Great Workplace
East Penn is very Team Oriented. I have never been faulted for asking questions or trying new things. I have helped implement many new procedures in my time here.
Working in a branch doesn't feel cut off from the rest of the company. The whole team is always trying to find better ways to communicate.

When I need time off for a doctors appointment or if I'm sick, I am never over questioned or made to feel guilty about it and everyone works together to pick up the slack.

East penn is definitely a fast paced, detail oriented workplace that puts every effort to provide the best customer service possible.

Overall, great place to work!
Micromanaged to extreme
Micromanaging to extreme and Management having holier-than-though attitude.
Had GPS's in company vehicle and even called on a salesman when he pulled into a residential area just doing sales notes! Said why is he parked for 10-15 minutes!!!

Avoid this company!
Pros
Gas card, LOTS of travel if you like it
Cons
Long driving hours, not receptive to any feedback
No Job Security. Less salary, Micromanagement, Bossism, Office Politics
Low-level egoistical management, the inter-department battles, and constant backstabbing. The toxicity between them is quite visible and it's very unfortunate because they are all great leaders and mentors outside of work. There were no efforts to retaining existing employees after the lengthy hiring process and background checks, which was incredibly disappointing. Have seen lots of FIRING OF EMPLOYEES WITH NO REASON. Managers micromanage the team, will tell you when to breath. No work ethics. Long hours.

Advice to Management

The resources you hire are incredibly talented and valuable start being more mature and stop backstabbing your employees in front of other team members to show off your knowledge.
Avoid at all costs
The management is never happy with the amount of work you do. No job advancements. Micro managed by head office in Ontario.Forced overtime.Written Warnings handed out for every mistake made. Avoid at all cost.
Great company with amazing people
East Penn Canada has been working hard to transform from a small to a mid-size business, and as can be expected, there have been some growing pains. However, a lot of effort is being made to maintain the "family" feel, while at the same time embracing new technology.
Avoid this company
I really felt mislead by this organization. I was not paid what I was promised. The hours were definitely outdated. Every other day there were company wide emails about about people leaving the company.

As a sales person I was told I would get a certain commission on things. It never came through. I was then told it was coming we are just behind on the numbers. Nothing ever added up right and I was asked to work extra hours which I would be paid for at 1.5 times my base hourly wage and I never saw any of it. When asked I was told I was on salary and I was now expected to work 8.5 hour days.

I asked a trainer at while on training what I could expect as far as earnings and he stated that asking about compensation of what others make is grounds for dismissal.

I would avoid this company at all costs. They don’t make you feel appreciated and you will feel short changed and in appreciated immediately. It’s a very stressful micro managed company.

I was so happy when I was laid off.
Pros
Gas card
Cons
Long hours, not getting paid what you are promised and being micromanaged.
Terrible Company to Work
Very much an old-boys culture so beware. If you're one of the top executives or have been with the company from the start then you're IN but the rest are treated poorly and micro-managed. Also, if you know how to play hockey well you're good too because that seems to be a very important factor for their hiring process of new sales guys (company hockey team)

When you are hired they don't tell you the hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with 1/2 hour lunch and breaks. Someone mentioned that these poor reviews are unwarranted but that is not true. In the few years I worked there I saw more people get fired or quit. I would not recommend working for this company. You will find out if you do.
Pros
Many nice people to work with other than top executives
Cons
See above review
Negative environment, toxic culture
Long days, job not secure (regular firings by HR), base level employees paid low and not appreciated, friends of owners get better salaries and flexibility, avoid the toxic culture.
Pros
Some nice people
Need to Care About Employees
The company is not great. Very demanding, don't care about employees. Management lowers pay and hours when company not doing well. We have families to support and not fair to cut our wages when management making tonnes of money!
Micromanaged with outdated hours
Hours are longer than average. There is a lack of trust from the top down and everything is highly micromanaged which causes the company to not run as efficiently as it could.
Pros
Location in Durham Region
company location was close to my home
Good hours a lot of culture a great place work on the afternoon shift a hand full of workers made it easier for moving about the place QUICKLY which was a plus
Good benefits, bad management.
The staff at the branch I worked at are great. Nice people, but the management team provide little to no support at all. There was no training to speak of. I learned from the local rep who was too busy doing their job to help a new employee. Calls are not returned and when they are, you are asked to wait until they can get back to you with an answer. A complete lack of direction from the district manager made it very hard to meet expectations that were not clearly defined. The company vehicle's all have GPS and you are tracked 24/7. Nice to have use of the vehicles. But they use the tracking data against you. There is a feeling of paranoia throughout the office. Low moral, high turn over in several positions.
Lack of direction from upper management leave this company in a negative light.
Pros
Personal use of company vehicle, benefits.
Cons
Lack of support, no training, bad moral in office. Micro management.
Salary is decent. Beware of management. Slow hiring process.
Worked in sales dept.. Micro-managed with company equipped GPS tracking and expected office hrs vs field time. Management will use GPS tracking reports against you during Performance reviews. Regional Managers do not have your back vs Head Office. Fellow employees at the branch / warehouse were friendly, knowledgeable and willing to assist. Without these employees the company would be twisting in the wind. Technical product knowledge training seriously lacking. Salary was decent.
Pros
Decent Salary, Personal use of company vehicle, Fellow employees at the branch level, knowledgeable and helpful.
Cons
Field Mgrs handcuffed in field from making quick decisions, lack of training, Regional Mgrs lack of support vs HO, Poor overall morale, GPS vehicles allowing Mgmt to track 24/7, No commission paid on servicing Nat. Accts
Dynamic; financially stable
The company is on a continuous path of a double-digit growth.
People are good – strong, loyal, committed professionals.

Good benefits and bonuses.
Nice employer who care in the employee, nice benefit like RRSP, profit sharing and 100 % extended benefit. The management are good and has enviromental concern.