East Metro Youth Services

East Metro Youth Services Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
The culture was one of innovation, however some serious missteps in hiring of senior leadership just prior to Executive Director retiring caused serious, if not almost fatal missteps in staff management and agency planning, which the incoming CEO was unable to address in the year she was there. A year following my departure the agency merged with another agency to form a new larger organization.
this company teaches skills needed to work with a diverse population with mental health-related issues and behaviors. I was able and continue to learn skills and communicate with the community stakeholders.
At work you interact with lots of different youths, you help them be kept entertained, have snacks provided for them and keep the area clean and organized. There are many activities planed for the youths and have to keep them focused on the task and make sure they are not disruptive to others. It can be difficult to control large groups of youths because of the wide range of opinions and personalities. Language can be a barrier because of the wide range of youths that come to the programs for help.
Stay away from this company. The management is so hypocrite. They don't treat the staff well and there is no job security. They will let you go whenever they want using any excuse.
Amazing group of counsellors/front-line staff. Expectation of 17 direct service hours. Must rely mostly on peer supervision. Once unionized things got much better.
Working at East Metro Youth Centre was the best decision i ever made. Each day, I learned how to act, think and work at workplace. Each day gave me a new perspective about individuals and taught me a lot. I cannot wait till i get find an interest in a future career, and i am very excited to meet new people. The most enjoyable part of the job was that at the end of the day, we played games that educated our learning.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
no cons
I had days where I was miserable. But then there were days where we actually saw students progress. The program itself needed its own evaluation. No wonder the version program is non existent anymore. Staff were fun.
Pros
Not a high intended environment
Cons
Unorganized
Dont bother applying from externally, because its their policy to hire internally first, so even if your expertise is exceptional, they'll hire internally.

Theres very little office space and you work from a cubicle which makes for a stressful work enviro.

The pay is not enough.

Don't waste your time applying here.
Typical day consisted of lively chats and engaging plans to achieve tasks and work load.
Workload was very easy to balance with daily social life.

Overall would greatly recommend EMYS and it's services for students to achieve sales and marketing skills over temporary periods of time.
Pros
Free programs and services
Cons
Needs a more active staff and open hours
Excellent place to work with supportive colleagues and management. The youth's well-being is of paramount important and I strongly imbibe their philosophy of "do whatever it takes"
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at East Metro Youth Services?
Help out new comers and teach them about the things we do in Canada. Help them in finding a job and build there resumes. Do fun activities with them and make them engage.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Offers staff many opportunities to continue professional growth, a typical work day was being involved and 'on your toes' with the youth, they provided very structured programming that allow youth and families to have clear expectations and promotes the best treatment for individual and family growth.
Pros
Professional Growth opportunities
Cons
Closure of group homes
As stated previously, East Metro Youth Services was a great experience that has helped mould me into the Child and Youth Worker I am today. Had the opportunity to work and learn along the side of some great people in many different settings and environments
On a regular day I would go in and sign in then join a group of other members to brainstorm some idea's of what we can do to help out in the community. almost every time I went In I learned something new like how to make the best out of an situation, but for the most part the work that was given more times wasn't hard their were a lot of easy task. The hardest part of the job would probably be coming up with idea's on how to make our community a better place but with more than one individual dishing out idea's on that topic it made things a lot easier and for the most enjoyable part of the job I'd have to say lunch time when we all take a brake from everything and talk about things going on in our personal life such as school and other recent events that we might have attended.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
to much travelling around the city
This was a fun job. I helped at risk youth. I created presentations it was fun.I learned that not all kids are the same when it comes to understanding why there are a certain way because they come from all types of home settings that effect the way they are. The managers were sometimes invasive.They would try into my private life but i wasn't harmful in anyway. My co workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job was public speaking because i was scared too speak in public at the time. The most enjoyable part was reaching a kid and having them understand that gang violence and violence in a whole is not the answer to anything it just begets more violence.
Pros
reaching a young person and teaching them.
Cons
It was only for 6 months
Processing the bills from individual programs along with the head office. The job requires constant knowledge of the budget allowance as well as awareness of signing authorities for each program.

The co-workers are very approachable and welcoming to newcomers. Financial department helps me quickly adapt to the position and any process that's required.

Hardest part of the job was the intense workload in the first couple of days while trying to adapt to the program's process as well as systems.

Most enjoyable part of the job was atmosphere and culture of the organization.
Pros
Freedom of lunch periods along with sociable atmosphere
Cons
Not too many opportunities to further finance or accounting positions within the program
* Conducted computer workshop on MS Office (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint)

* Assisted Newcomer adults to learn basic computer skills and job coaching

* Conducted Community Outreach at Malvern Library to increase computer Literacy for Newcomer Adults

* Received a Certificate of Appreciation as a Valued Volunteer
Best part about this job was my supervisor and when the youth got their first pay cheque.
A typical day at work would have to a meeting to construct a plan to engage the youth to do positive activities, what i learned from working as a youth assistant is that many people are concerned about the well being of their child but if the child is not properly groomed to receive information they will find themselves looking to other people than their parents. my co-workers where absolutely the the best they would push me to be the best at work, the hardest part of the job was to maintain my cool when it comes to being in a work place filled with people who didn't understand what the mentality of a youth is. The most enjoyable part of the job was being my self and interacting with the youth
Pros
being able to be myself..
Cons
having limitatiions
Working at East Metro has been one of the greatest experiences in my child and youth worker career thus far. The people I work with are friendly, helpful, very skilled in their field, and extremely welcoming. I have learned a lot so far and am looking forward to learning more from this wonderful agency. I think so far the hardest part of this job is that I am only a relief staff, so I do not get to work on a regular basis with this agency. My most enjoyable part of the job is the staff I work with and the youth I come into contact with in the classroom; they make it so enjoyable to go to work.
Greeting and registering clients for Walk-In Clinc. Compiling stats and prepared access resources for weekly reports. Co-workers are very approachable, always willing to lend a hand in order to meet needs and requirements.