Earls Kitchen + Bar Employee Reviews

Fun Place
Bartender/Lounge Server (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB27 December 2018
Learned everything I needed to work and manage a fast paced casual dining restaurant.
Great Staff Parties and work environment. Long hours in the summer
Good place to work if you want experience.
Swing Sous/Baker/Saucier/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2018
I started at the bottom of the food chain and I was a Sous Chef by the time I left 3 years later. Excellent people to work with, everyone is always up for a good time and usually has a positive personality. Although, because this is a relatively laid back place to work there are a lot of people who don't care about doing their job, and that kind of attitude does not sit well with me, especially because you rely so heavily on teamwork in the kitchen so it makes it difficult sometimes. Lots of quick hires and inexperienced hires in this restaurant, probably due to the high turnover rate in this industry. I will say however that the management is very invested in the partner experience and your development is at the forefront of their motivations. They sent me to leadership seminars, a food safety course, and I was part of a developmental group with the Head Chef. It makes you feel important and appreciated. Overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to move up.
Cons
High turnover rate leads to a large number of inexperienced coworkers.
Love this job
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK12 December 2018
typical day at work is getting everything ready for lunch. I grab cloths and spray for cleaning. Then I assign servers to their sections. I greet and seat customer in their desired location in the restaurant.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Not a ton of hours
Good people, and overall a great experience
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 November 2018
I worked here throughout my high school grade eleven years, hours were a little rocky, but overall, I loved the place and the people who worked with me.
Pros
Great work enviorment
pretty bad
Dishwasher/line cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2018
the work culture was terrible no one cared about the employees, managers and chefs clearly did not care. Advancement was based on who they liked. Overall not a good experience
Pros
helps you learn to deal with stress and work as a team
Cons
overall bad environment
sever (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB6 November 2018
The only reason most people stay is because of the co-workers. the manager is never around and if they are they are at the bar drinking and chatting with another manager. If there is ever an issue and you take it to a supervisor be prepared for nothing to be done about it. There are a lot of double standards. If one worker is late or does something multiple times its a slap on the wrist and a blind eye, if another does the same its a warning or a letting go. It is a very un-organized company that is only running due to high number customers knowing the chain and the amount of transient workers going through. No quality , no care. Also the schedule is usually posted the Sunday before the coming week. most of the time when requesting time off is asked, it is either never remembered or just doesn't care to think.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
Short hours, no breaks, poor management, late scheduling
Most enjoyable job to date.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 October 2018
Overall work atmosphere was amazing! Amazing co-workers and managers. Very well managed, great work structure. Was trained by very knowledgeable people. learned form supporting managers who encourage you to always try harder. loved the job, the people, and the atmosphere. Come into work stock the kitchen, cook and clean as the day progressed. Stressful at times during rushes or lack of staff during shifts. Free staff meal while working, tips, above average pay.
Pros
Tips, Staff meals.
Cons
Stressful, lack of communication.
It's a good time
Barback (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 October 2018
People are nice and leaders are super cool to talk to. Working here has really made myself feel a lot better. But I seriously don;t want to write that much so this is it.
Fun place to work with great people
Expo & Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 October 2018
Earls is a job I do genuinely miss. As a high school student, restaurant hours were not ideal but my managers were extremely understanding and did their absolute best to accommodate my needs. Everyone is willing to help each other and care for the wellbeing of the restaurant. Food is great, and very few mistakes are made in the run of a day. Shifts were not unreasonably long and the atmosphere there was one I loved to endure.
Pros
Classy restaurant/well dressed staff
Cons
(Before renovations) Old-looking building
Enjoyed my years working for this company
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Ric1 October 2018
This company gave me the experience I needed to better my career as a bartender. Fully enjoyed my time there. Food is great, experience was top notch.
hectic, and stressfil
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2018
strong corporate culture, but mixed messaging on values. Company values say people receive promotions based on performance, but often it ends up on being on looks and popularity
Fun but not the best
Line Cook/Support (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC10 September 2018
The training is pretty good and it is a fun atmosphere but I would recommend after about a year to look for a better job. You get half off your food witch is nice.
Pros
fun
Cons
not many hours
The environment is great but the pay, not so good.
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2018
The earls team is fun and out going but you shouldn’t work in the kitchen if you want to make money unless you want to spend years to make it on top. However it is a good part-time job. The people are great their.
Pros
50% off food when you work and free drinks. 10% off if you come in with friends and family to enjoy.
Cons
They will either over work you or under work you.
Don’t work at earls kitchen.
Line Cook/ (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 August 2018
I worked here almost 3 months as cook position.
I didn’t learn anything from here. And they always bill report give us stressfull. Thry want me to do so many things but the wage is ridiculously low just 20 cent more than minimum wage. And no employees beneft. Only 40% off when u done your shift. Any other day you been to earls.. no discount maybe 10% off
I would rather work McDonald’s than here. No free meal too much hours too low pay
"Expo" (Expediter) (Current Employee) –  Calgary9 August 2018
It is filled with great people, but management can try to put up barriers to prevent you from moving up. It can be exceptionally frustrating to watch people around you get promoted while you stay in the same spot.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
High turn over
Great Place to work
Full Time - Server (Former Employee) –  CA24 July 2018
As I was on a working Holiday visa. I started working at Earls Restaurant in Whistler. I was a setter and then worked my way up to a server. It was a fun place to work at and the management were amazing. I will defiantly miss my whistler family at Earls.
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 July 2018
There we can work in a fast paced environment, with people from different countries and learn different ways of doing the same job. We need to deal with pressure as well.
restaurant life
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 July 2018
extremely fun great people and great location. very fun and friendly people to work with. extremely nice kitchen with an extremely nice dinner menu with lots of choices
Pros
free food
Cons
cuts
Fast paced and a place to work at when you have no experience
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 July 2018
It's a very high-stress work place especially you work with younger group and most of them have this place as their first job. Training quality varies per manager and you're lucky if your boss is very accurate and dedicated to your development. Lively culture and atmosphere since it filled with young, like-minded people. A lot of activities like staff parties and people would usually hang out together. The company upholds their standards highly and would always incorporate their vision and goals to their partners.
Pros
Good tips every week, food discounts, lively culture
Cons
Long hours, unpredictable end times for shifts
Great social workplace
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2018
Starting as a hostess is a great way to start working in the restaurant industry, it allows you to understand the restaurant environment and flow without being too overwhelming. In general the staff is great and very friendly and management was awesome too.
Pros
50% discount on all food when working

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Earls Kitchen + Bar. Our community is ready to answer.