E.B. Horsman & Son

E.B. Horsman & Son Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
Featured review
E.B. Horsman & Son selected this as a representative review
Best employer I have ever had. (there were plenty)
I chose E.B. Horsman after much research into all the Electrical Distributors.
The deciding factors were:

- the number of employees that had been with the company for over 20, 25, 30 years after 4 generations (back then) of family ownership.

- best benefits package around

- family environment where management are open to communication.

- opportunity to grow and move around in the hierarchy and the Province (now 4 Provinces).

- Company was looking forward to growth and future stability through down turns.

If you work competently and reliably you will succeed and other positions open up for you. I have had the joy of being inside sales, technical support, outside sales, and a supervisor.

You are never expected to work outside company hours.

Input from all staff is encouraged and considered.

Ideas are often implemented.

An inclusive team environment is highly sought so that all employees are safe and comfortable working with one another.

Annual living raises are typical.

If you need help just ask as training for your position, future goals, and personal needs is available and encouraged.

I have never regretted my decision and have been here for 13 years now. I'm looking forward to another 15+ until retirement and never want to to elsewhere.
Productive workplace using a cooperative system.
At Eb Horseman we were a new electrical warehouse opening in Saskatoon when i started. I helped create the warehouse shelving and storage units and getting the warehouse ready for customers. They are very organized at EB Horseman and they value team work and the ideas of everyone. I was the newest employee there but they made me feel useful and like i had been there for years. They valued any ideas I had about making the warehouse more effieceint and increasing productivity.
Stressful
Management needs to clearly define job responsibilities. Employees need to be appreciated which I found lacking and less motivational
The company needs to communicate regularly with the employees to know what is happening with there work life
great workplace
start early receiving shipments and putting stock away
somedays you'd need help from the crew

fun and physical type of work

just keep a steady pace throughout the day
Family company who cares
I have been with E.B Horsman & Son for 3 years having moved from a large corporation. This has been my best employment experience and I will probably be here until I retire.

The industry is fast paced and competitive where you have to act like a team to succeed. My role is very entrepreneurial and you are compensated for your success. The way the company is structured, everyone in the company is compensated based on the success of the organization, we all succeed together. The company is 120 years old and continues to grow and expand while others in the electrical industry are shrinking.

The management team is young and dynamic putting policies in place for you to succeed. Because we are growing quickly, there is lots of room to move up and succeed in your career.

If you are prepared to work hard this is a great organization who will treat you like family. There is lots of opportunity for long term success for anyone willing to commit!
If you need a quick job/ some quick cash then go for it
Eb horsman is an ok place to work for a young person, or an adult who is tight on a job, but that would be it. Not great pay,bad management , endless promises of advancement with nothing to actually show, I mean i could go on forever. Your hard work and effort will be used and appreciated far better someplace else.
I have worked at Eb Horsman for 2 years , I make a very good salary and have excellent flexibility with my management team if I need time off it has always been granted if your honest and truthful in your approach the team works to meet most if not all requests the managers and supervisors I work for are outstanding people yes they care about the job however the people aspect is very high I love working there
Promises with no results
Organize intake bay for incoming product. Pick product for individual orders. Clean all areas of warehouse,gather recycling,load/unload trucks of incoming/outgoing goods. Palletize and wrap product for delivery. Good - the people. Worst- constant time pressure .
Pros
Often free lunches, snacks.
Cons
Did not receive benefits promised, unrealistic manager.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at E.B. Horsman & Son?
Good Familial Connection
My experience with EB horseman and son was nothing but forgiving and embracing. Their family culture was inviting and warm and encouraging they made me feel accepted from day one. If you work hard they recognize you for that if you’re struggling they will help you. I would still be working there had I not lost faith in my abilities. It was I that destroyed the working trust and relationships.
119 years and going strong
EB Horsman & Son is a family-owned business, fifth-generation owned and best managed for 10 years running. The company treats you like family and everyone supports one another. When a family member is in dire need, everyone steps up to offer a helping hand. The training programs are a combination of online, offsite and on the job training. We have employees that have been with the company for over 35 years!
Pros
birthday off, profit share, strong and effective leadership
Cons
need more time in the day, branches are busy
terrible place to work
Management, pay and hr are horrendous. Please dont apply if you want to work 10 hour days, get called in on your days off, be denied raises, watch your under qualified supervisors do nothing at all. Then apply at eb horsman.
Pros
Quitting
Cons
They lie about everything, the manager is horrible
Good company if you work in the office, not the warehouse
I worked in the warehouse couple months ago, the organization it's not bad, sometimes you'll get support from the bosses (if they know how to do it or operate the equipment to do the job).

Wages in the warehouse are low, even if you have been working for 2 years, you should be around $18 or $19 dls (Even if you had experience before).

Management treats better senority than productivity, the company rather gives $25 dls each month for accuracy than a raise. You'll be getting a raise each year if you are lucky.

Sick hours are good because you'll have a big amount every month, and you can use them pretty whenever you like.

I can't complain about the benefits, benefits are good and includes a big variety of services.
Pros
High tolerance for miss attendance
Cons
Low wages on warehouse, bonuses are $25 dls gift cards
Make an opportunity a lifetime career
I have been with EB Horsman for almost 7 years. I found out about the company and industry through another EB Horsman employee.

Like many employers, EB Horsman gives every single employee the opportunity to be promoted, earn a great income and have a work life balance.

The Catch: You have to work hard. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If you can work hard, you will be rewarded with flexibility, and the opportunity to spend your entire career with EBH.

In 7 years I have been promoted 7 times and get the opportunity to take on new challenges everyday.
Pros
Flexibility/Work Life
A collaborative and supportive company that cares for their employees like family
EB Horsman and Son is a family owned business now in it's fifth generation. Since 1900 they have been serving the communities of British Columbia, and now Alberta and Saskatchewan. We are a full line electrical distributor supplying products to residential, commercial and industrial customers. We have a reputation of top tier service and we feel best about our business when both our customers, suppliers and ourselves, grow and prosper together.

This company cares about it's employees. We offer great salaries, health and dental benefits, a matching RRSP program, annual profit sharing, progressive vacation and cumulative sick time and other perks. Continuous learning is a mandate of our organization and there are many opportunities for growth and advancement. We care about our communities and we strive to support them through various fundraising efforts, some local, and some regional, like the BC Childrens Hospital.

Our company is growing rapidly and the management team is working hard to make sure that the branches have the support and resources they need to continue to serve our customers at the service level they have come to expect. We have many positions currently open throughout the organization. We are looking for other hard working and dynamic individuals who share our commitment to excellence and integrity.
Pros
Good salary and great benefits, cumulative holiday and sick time, Family atmosphere, Flexible work/life balance
Cons
Some overtime may be required during peak season while covering staff holidays
Dont work in the distribution location!
Terrible management.
Was told I have no choice but to do something.

It was a great work environment until people started getting fired for terrible reasons, like to many pick errors

Real great! Fire instead of retraining!

Strongly suggest that nobody apply unless you are desperately seeking employment and even then I wold keep looking till something else comes up.

Managment only cares about sales not about the people working on the floor.
Pros
Good people in the warehouse
Cons
Terrible management
Loyal and dedicated team at EBH
The culture is amazing here with great group of employee. The company has been around for over 119 years and it really does show from their employees. The loyalty and dedication of everyone is inspiring. At head office everyone is warm, welcoming and very helpful. At the branch level it is the same and a very close knit team.

I would definitely recommend EBH to job seekers who is looking for a great company to work for.
Pros
culture, people
Cons
Alot of passwords to remember
Disappointed
Customers were great to work with but upper management was full of themselves and took forever to follow up with anything. Couldn’t trust any fellow co-workers as there was a leak inside. Salary took forever to increase even after several excellent reviews. Only good thing was the customers.
Pros
Good customers
Cons
Long hours no overtime minimal salary increase
Long term career
Life is what you make of it --
E.B. Horsman & Son allows you to make the most of life !

Many employees have had decades of employment here - a recent retiree' has worked for the company nearly 50 years. Often new employees start out as a material handler and take the opportunity to learn the business & try other roles throughout the company. Others find long-term secure employment in a position they enjoy. Of course, as they say, you have to make the grade to be included on the EB Horsman team.

EBH has an understanding that everyone is valued in whatever the job we do, focusing on providing the best customer service with the best products possible to be the electrical distributor of choice. The salary is competitive for the market place and more importantly, the company nurtures everyone's work and personal growth while providing for a fulfilling family life.
Pros
Great Co-Workers and good processes
Terrible environment to work in
Terrible support structure, low pay and everyone was very quick to point fingers at everyone else instead of coming up with solutions. They definitely don't practised what they preach. Save yourself a world of headache and avoid working for this company, very high turnover rate.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, long hours, no account for overtime, terrible management.
Great place to work!
The support you receive working with E.B. Horsman is incredible! They give you plenty of room to grow within the company and constant training! You’re always learning new things. :)
Pros
Pay, benefits, atmosphere, values.
Horrible place to work.
E.B. Horsman & Son does not practice what they preach. Management treats their employees horribly. They are either too lazy to train properly, really don't know how to do the jobs themselves, or they don't want you to know as much about the job as they do. HR is incompetent! Supervisors and managers disrespect their superiors. Very high staff turnover!
Cons
Low pay, bad management.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at E.B. Horsman & Son. Our community is ready to answer.