Durham School Services Employee Reviews

No perks none at all and durham officials won't help you if a child acts up with you and if the parents get involve . No back up what so ever from dur
Professional Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WA17 May 2018
The office crew sucks they pick and choose so yeah if kissing up to them will help you get more hours then this is the place. It's good to get your CDL B there and theirs only a hand full of people person's there.
Pros
Sometimes free food
Cons
None no benefits
Bus driver Jacksonville FL
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL16 May 2018
No back up if kids on the bus act up from schools or from company. Short work days. Ok job for parents with school holidays and summers off. Not the best place to work.
School Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, IL16 May 2018
Great place to work considering it is just part time. Working with children can be very challenging but as long as u have patience it will go smoothly.
Great job
School Bus Driver/Charter Driver (Former Employee) –  Watervliet, NY15 May 2018
Durham School Bus Services is a company that is committed to helping transport people every single day, it is really exciting to be a part of it. The management team is 100% committed to helping employees succeed and do their best. CEO truly believes in each employee and is always available for any questions/concerns
Good job to get free CDL B
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI13 May 2018
Initially I loved working here, but that feeling is no longer around. I honestly would quit at this moment but I feel a duty to finish off the school year. Durham doesn’t care about their drivers, they only care about keeping their exsisting contracts. The managers also make up silly lies and try (but fail) at covering them up with another lie. Even though the pay is $20.69/HR the hours don’t make up for it. . Durham also caters to any special needs student that is eligible for transportation since they get reimbursed so you can lose that 30 minutes layover between pick up and drop offs and get a bus monitor thrown on your route at anytime. Last but not least, Durham doesn’t appreciate their employees. We recently had our first appreciation breakfast last week on short notice and the only reasoning for that was for Durham to talk us out of voting in a local union. Oh and the day after Super Bowl Sunday they brided us to come to work by offering a “special gift” which turned out to be a $1 scratch off ticket.....
Pros
Free CDL B training.
Cons
Split shifts, summers off, poor management
Great job.
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO13 May 2018
Great job to drive the school bus. Kids were mostly fun to take back and forth to school. One of the things I did learn was safety in transporting the students.
Good coworkers and management.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZ12 May 2018
Good place to work for. They do have rule you need to follow just like any type of job that deal with school services. You really can work about as much as you want. there are times it is busier than other time and summers are slow work conditions. but they have charter service work also and you can get some hours there also. Management is good.
Too much drama and little pay!
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, FL11 May 2018
This company is horrible. Worse insurance benefits. Long hours and little pay. Not worth the hassle unless u want a cdl. No paid training and dont expect to move up unless you kiss a** to each and everyone of the upper management staff.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, severe stress, too much drama
Find The Right Fit For You.
Transit Bus Driver (school) (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SC11 May 2018
All of the companies I've worked for pushes diligently to make driving our children to and from school a major safety concern.
Monthly meetings are essential to stay current with changes concerning laws and training. In some cases meetings are called to bring you up to date on things effective immediately.
Pros
The company normally train you and you can earn a CDL, B class with a P and S endorsement providing you pass those vigorous test.
Cons
If you don't have a heart for dealing with children, the schools, the parents, and the bureaucrats, then driving a school bus/transit is not for you.
It's not worth it, unless youre retired and really have nothing better to do.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KS10 May 2018
I've worked for Durham for 6 months and I've seen enough. Management DOES NOT care about you. You are a driver to them, you fill a spot, that's it. Your child is sick? It's okay, bring them on the bus with you. You have kids fighting on your bus? Oh, okay, does that mean you need police?
.....
The things that should come along with a common sense answer, don't. You have to spell everything out, WORD FOR WORD.

I worked in Topeka, and the way it was is - One driver ran a stop sign and had an accident. This caused all of Topeka to hate the company. So it was Topeka vs Drivers, on top of Admin vs. Drivers. Even the school district gave up on helping the drivers completely.

You get paid for 4 hours per day, that's it. Yes, you can volunteer for trips and such, but that's only so often.

When a kid does something wrong on your bus, they are supposed to be written up. So you write this child up, give it to the school..... NOTHING HAPPENS. So the behavior continues. Its a never ending cycle. So when you decide to complain to Durham about the problem, they ask, well did you write them up? Yes. "Well that's all we can do for now."

YEAH.

DEFINATELY do not do it if you live outside of the city!!!! You will not make ANY money out of it.
Pros
None.
I good place to work with f u have younger kids.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  new orleans louisiana, LA10 May 2018
The pay is pretty good $19.71 an hour. But I don't like that there's no AC's on the buses, no security in the yard for after hour trips, they recognize their good drivers.
Driving a bus
Driver (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KS10 May 2018
I would start my day at 7 in the morning. I drove students to and from school, work, and community outings. Most days ended at 7 or 8 in the evening. I learned organization is the key to success. Durham was casual about their wok place. I enjoyed working with the students, teachers, and paras.
Pros
Hours and being able to bring my daughter
Cons
working nine months out of the year.
not a pleasant experience
Full Time School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TX10 May 2018
Horrible work environment. Company only cared about profit. Buses were not properly maintained putting drivers and children at risk. This left morale low.
Pros
Cons
too many to mention
Part time work
Bus Driver / Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Everett, WA9 May 2018
Hourly wages above average, but work hours low. Hard to make 8hrs a day as a driver, unless you did a ton of trips that ran late into the night. If you like lots of down time, this is a good job to have.
fun place to meet people
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MI8 May 2018
Pros and Cons the pay could be better and the job insurance is not very good, The parents are very nice and you can pick your own route.You get certain hollidays off and you do not have to work in the summer unless you chose to.It is a bi- weekly pay<
Pros
fun place to meet people you get to care for students
Cons
the benefits are not good
overall
Bus Driver (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Justin, TX3 May 2018
I enjoyed the staff I worked with. All jobs have good and bad, pro's and con's. They trained me to get my license gave me a great start in the field. All the people I dealt with on a day to day basis were friendly and helpful. I had a job to do and I did it. If I had a problem with my bus or the kids I felt supported and taken care of to the best they could. I loved my job and the people I worked with and for.
It was ok to go to work at times because I loved what I did but at times the job wanted you to put them before your family and I was not excepting it.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA3 May 2018
I love what I was doing but the GM wanted you to put your job before your family the hardest part of the job was dealing with the students.. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting off.
It's okay
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN1 May 2018
This company is not the best, but it's not the worse either. You are required to be very early to ensure that your bus is safe for the students. You have to compete to get field trips which will help bring in extra money; however, sometimes they fail to pay you for the field trips and they make excuses for why you didn't get paid.
Understanding and kind environment
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Milford, CT28 April 2018
I love working for Durham. It gives me the opportunity to not only drive my daughter to and from school, but I get every weekend and holiday off with her. This job gives me the chance to watch my child grow and I miss barely any moments to create memories with her.
Pros
Good pay for part time, I get to see my daughter, holidays and summers off with pay
Cons
Not paid enough to live comfortably, no advancement options
Excellent t place to work if you are motivated!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KS28 April 2018
New drivers can easily make a great living here if they like to work. Only required to work 20 hours a week, but lots of opportunity to do much more than that! My 2nd year driving I was working 50+ hours a week during peak season and grossing $4K a month!
Pros
Great management team!
Cons
Nothing out of the ordinary.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham School Services. Our community is ready to answer.