Durham District School Board

Durham District School Board Employee Reviews

Canada100 reviews

boardstudentteacherschoolteachingchildamazingstaff

Enjoyable Job with Good Pay

I have been working as a supply teacher for DDSB for a few months now and I absolutely love it. There is always work available and the pay is great. The interview process was slow but smooth.

if you have a disability

They will not accommodate you in any way. Terrible organization to work for. You will be dismissed just like i was and forced to disclose your disability on a daily basis to each and every person you encounter in tye multiple schools you are sent to.

Insights into Durham District School Board

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Good and bad

Some great people who's hands are tied by management who are out of touch with present day demands on employees. Lots of great employees who do their best and a few who are there for the paycheck

Administrative

I find the work draining and work-life balance for some positions is not good for those with young families. A lot has changed since I started and the work culture and morale have definitely lowered.

Fair enough

The team was always friendly, putting on music for us and trying not to be hard on any one. It was a temporarily experience wich I found it fine and found great friends there

Great place for work life balance.

For support staff pay is low considering you don't get paid for summers. As well as a whole you don't get much of an increase in pay at the top tier. 10years and I only received $2.58 increase accumulative. Also no real room for growth as a support staff and you are with the children way more than teachers.

Pros

Great as a starter job. Hours are great for meeting the needs of work life balance.

Cons

No pay during summers for support staff, no real room for advancement, high stressful job & not as much support for role.

Always a busy environment

A great company to work for, wages are amazing, but takes a long time to get off the on call list. No job stability and you can be taken off long term contracts at anytime.

Pros

Always a different day

Cons

Never know when u might get called

Large employer with many sites and opportunities for change and growth

LOVE working Monday to Friday and when I leave the building knowing that I have done my best and that my employer is appreciative of my efforts. Generally staff work together for the best outcomes possible and support each other 110%.There is always new skills to gain and each day is not like the one before, I wish I had found this work many years ago, because I so enjoy my days and interactions, even when it is a busy demanding day I feel valued and thankful.

Pros

team work, great work /life culture, interesting diverse group of employees

Cons

At times lack of specialized services, long wait lists for additional supports/ services is frustratings

I was off on sick leave

I tried to come back they were horrible!!! Made it impossible with lawyers in every corner if you have a disability they will find a way to not let you return to work.

Pros

Hours and working with students

Cons

Biased against disabled !

Productive - Fun staff

My experience with DDSB was really good- the staff is very helpful, they appreciate your work. Was there for short term contract- but made such beautiful connections with employees and lots of memories love to work for DDSB in future if I get a chance.

Pros

1hour lunch break.

Experience varies

Experience can depend on the school/area you're teaching in, your teachables/qualifications, etc. Have been told that the board is growing and expanding

Educational Assistant

Face paced collaborative career. Very rewarding career. Great pension and benefits. Working with special needs children on a daily basis. Must be flexible and the job can be physically demanding Durham district School board is a wonderful place to work. Staff and students are professional

Always a new day to look forward to and always something new and exciting happening

I loved working with the people and kids at the schools. There was always something new every day to look forward to and the kids were awesome! The teachers were friendly, I always had fun when I went I to work, even on the hardest days we always found something good to focus on!

Pros

Great people

Cons

Having to say good by at the end of the year

Great if you want to be a slave

Great place to work if you like back stabbing co-workers and your private life being talked about behind your back. The gossiping is ridiculous! Must follow what Union says, you don’t have your own voice! Teachers treated ECEs as minimal assistants and not valuable team members even though is ECE’s we’re doing triple the work they were for less pay!

Pros

Pay, work life balance, summers off, all school holidays off, benefits, retirement savings plan

Cons

Coworkers, no support from admin, must follow union

it is a fun and learning experience in different settings. it gives the chance to broaden one's horizon

it gives the oppotunity to pick up a lot of ideas and creativities. it helps me to manage my time and balance between by life and work, and it didn't tie me to daily planning and preparation. i like the diversity in the workplace . the hardest part is when someone doesn't feel belong and there is no friendly environment and feel rejected.

Pros

flexibility, a lot of experience of network, different experience of different settings

Cons

financial insecurity, irregular work(last minute call), not belonging(feeling lonely)

Great Experience

Great Job! Love working as part of a team and supporting students. Everyday is different and keeps things interesting. Great place to work! Typical school day hours.

Learning Experience

With this being my first volunteer experience in a professional setting, I learned first hand how to work in a team involvement, where communication and respect were key factors in not only getting the job done but also providing an enjoyable work experience.

Allows flexiability with family

• Supervision includes passing lunches and other packaged food to the students, ensuring that lunchroom clean-up is performed prior to the end of the lunch period, and monitoring the students at lunch and reporting back to teachers and staff

Excellent work environment

The staff in the DDSB were amazing in teaching and including me in all activities. Very friendly and helpful. collaboration is massive in the board and the work environment shows it.

Fun workplace

Good workplace culture. Working hands on with students was a great experience. Enjoyed working alongside teachers and staff in a school environment. Administrative and tutoring duties.

Excellent career choice

For supply work you never what you're getting into upon receiving your assignment but once you recieve an lto or full-time and get into a routine it is quite enjoyable and rewarding. Great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement