DURHAM DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Great work/life balance
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 June 2018
DDSB is a great employer. Very supportive of work/life balance. Great culture. Very collaborative environment between departments. Excellent benefits.
Education assistant
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON8 December 2018
Supervise, assist and instruct the student(s) in a program as directed in french. Prepare classroom material and equipment as directed, assist with general pupil supervision as directed.
Fun place
Summer School Tutor/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 September 2018
Amazing place to work and build connections
Management was easy to approach via telephone/email
taught subjects I was scared of teaching (highschool vs primary)
Flexible Working Schedule
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 October 2018
Supplying at DDSB is great. Being able to go to multiple schools near my home and working with a variety of people, children, families and needs. Being able to choose which jobs I took gave me flexibility for my schedule.
Pros
Choosing my own schedule
Cons
Was not permanent
Excellent
Intermediate Teacher - Arts Liaison (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 June 2018
Excellent professional environment. Many opportunities for different skill sets. The last 23 years have been rewarding. I have had the opportunity to work with many wonderful staff and students.
Fun working environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 July 2018
Learned a lot about the workforce and learned how to properly act in an interview for a job offer. Also learned Standard First Aid & CPR for free which is amazing
Excellent work Enviroment!
Junior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 December 2017
A typical day at work is discussing the tasks that are at hand for the day. During the discussion we create a time chart to make sure we stay onto of the projects we receive.

Few things I learned about the job was it is a multitasking line of work, a lot can overlap but, you will get through it fine!

My boss was very nice and understood that with this job it does have some challenges to meet clients needs in a productive and timely manner as she was willing to help any step of the way.

The hardest part about the job was leaving the company once time was up, it was an amazing group of partners which continue to inspire me through my career!

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see that after all the hard work you put into the final concept, the client is happy and joyful which makes me want to continue having more people feel like that through this type of career.
Pros
Social environment with helpful partners!
Cons
The hardest part about the job was leaving the company
Supply Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 May 2018
Have only been with the DDSB since November but have learned a great deal. I feel that my toolbelt has expanded a great deal and I am a stronger person.
Daily violence; underfunded and understaffed
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 March 2018
The job started as assisting children with education but after years of cutbacks became more like a security guard/bouncer, putting out fires with little support, no thanks, and a lot of backstabbing.
Pros
hours
Cons
Workplace violence and harassment
Part-time learning
NIGHT SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 January 2018
This was a part time position for night school, training in the subject of graphoanalysis.

I truly enjoyed the students and night school supervisor who made all amenities available.

This course was developed and presented by me and because of student interest it was offered more than a few times.
Pros
eager student
Cons
n/a
Challenging, intense, but personally rewarding
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON23 January 2014
An 8 - 3 day which I describe to people as writing, workshopping, and presenting a one act play every 40 minutes of the day for 5 days a week for 200 days each year. In addition the job does not end at 3: planning assessing is an after hours responsibility. This is probably the hardest part of the job--an in basket which never empties. Co-workers who understand the nature of the job provided many moments of laughter about things only peers would understand without too much explanation. Management and management skill and style were as varied as human beings.
Pros
Although cliche, It's the "ahha" moments with students and the heartfelt "thank you" from a parent.
Cons
All pervasive nature of teaching tasks/expectations, An annual 10 month run without opportunity for self-directed downtime
An enjoyable place to work
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON13 January 2018
The Durham District School Board is an excellent employer. I enjoy the diversity of my position as an Educational Assistant. The staff are like family and truly care about each other
Lunchroom supervision
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON20 April 2015
a typical day at work is greeting all staff and students, and creating small talk before getting to work. I am always learning something new on the job, whether it being how to approach students depending on their mood or given a new task to work one on one with a student. My management team is very straight forward and always is pushing me to exceed my best. My co-workers always set a great example for me to lead off of. The hardest part of my job is being able to be in fully control of the students and for them to follow instructions, the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to enjoy what I do.
Pros
Work Inside school
Cons
Miss hours due to school trips with the class
If you are a visible minority you will feel alone here
Clerical Work (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON8 April 2016
I was interviewed by a group of people who do not represent the community at large. I was shocked when I received the job because I was unrepresented in the interview process. Once in, I feel isolated and alone and I have received some comments that separate me from others based on my ethnicity.
The DDSB employees and higher level management do not reflect the students that they are working for, which I find disheartening. I think more visible minority students would feel comfortable reaching out to the employees if they were more representative of their uniqueness.
Albeit, the employees are very kind and friendly and I enjoyed my time here.
I kind of felt that a lot of the staff is unhappy but just working to get their pension, which is unfortunate. I would rather work for a company that I am happy to be there and make a difference, not just looking for security in retirement.
Pros
casual Fridays and summer Fridays
Cons
A lot of changes within a year, overpaid management and underpaid casuals, no ability to work from home.
Intense career but incredible job satisfaction
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON13 April 2017
Being a teacher was the best job a person could ask for and I don't regret a single day. I've learned more in my job as a teacher than in most things. As long as you are prepared to teach with lessons and back up plans, you will be ready for almost anything.

It's not always easy and the trick is to adapt to any surroundings and possibilities. However the most enjoyable part and most satisfaction is seeing a student understand what is taught, especially the most challenging ones.
Pros
the end of the school year when the student graduates.
Cons
the challenging ones that purposely choose to make it difficult for the teacher.
Occasional Teacher
Occasional Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON22 March 2016
A typical day starts at 5:00 am, while I wait by my phone to receive a call for the day. I can teach from Kindergarten to Grade.12 therefore, I can work at an elementary school, junior school or highschool. Once I receive the call with information about grade, location and school I hop in my car, turn on my GPS and I am on my way. When I arrive, I sign in at the Main Office, where they give me information about my classroom, students and other key information that will help me have a smooth transition for the day. Once, I get to my classroom, I read the lesson plans for the day and start organization what needs to be done to ensure success for the students. At the end of the day, I leave detailed notes for the regular classroom teacher, such as what we completed, students behaviour, and any other special notes that the teacher might need to know for the following days.
Productive and fun workplace
Theatre Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 March 2016
You would come in early before the permit is set to start. Introduce yourself to the permit holder, ask for any specific requests such as, extra mics, cables, extention cords and etc. I learned more about myself and what i am capable of doing. I also learned a lot about sound and lighting and a lot of it came from my co-workers.
Pros
Learn new things
review
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON6 November 2017
The Board Has been amazing to work for. In the past 14 years I have felt like a part of a family in the current job role I am in. Great and positive attitudes.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
unsure
Love helping kids
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 May 2017
You're very busy.
You learn about the needs and the differences between all special need children. No one is a like.
Every Admin staff is different, each work on their own rules to accommodate you when needed.
Workplace is good, it is mostly an all women environment.
Days can be long and tiring if you've had a rough day with a child that is having a rough day.
Best thing is seeing a child succeed.
Pros
summers off
Cons
Do not get paid enough for what we are expected to do.
Theater Technician
Theater Technician (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2017
Responsible for meeting all the permit holders needs and requests. This may include setup and tear down, setting up microphones, running the lighting system, running any audio or anything else the permit holder requests.