Durham District School Board

Durham District School Board Employee Reviews

Canada85 reviews
Learning Experience
With this being my first volunteer experience in a professional setting, I learned first hand how to work in a team involvement, where communication and respect were key factors in not only getting the job done but also providing an enjoyable work experience.
Allows flexiability with family
• Supervision includes passing lunches and other packaged food to the students, ensuring that lunchroom clean-up is performed prior to the end of the lunch period, and monitoring the students at lunch and reporting back to teachers and staff
Excellent work environment
The staff in the DDSB were amazing in teaching and including me in all activities. Very friendly and helpful. collaboration is massive in the board and the work environment shows it.
Face Paced Environment
A fair place to work and productive outcomes. Lead the construction of a 23% in pupil places, roll out of 45,000 chromebooks and financially stable organization.
Fun workplace
Good workplace culture. Working hands on with students was a great experience. Enjoyed working alongside teachers and staff in a school environment. Administrative and tutoring duties.
Excellent career choice
For supply work you never what you're getting into upon receiving your assignment but once you recieve an lto or full-time and get into a routine it is quite enjoyable and rewarding. Great place to work.
A flexible work environment.
A flexible work environment with many different opportunity. Great people to work with. Long term relationships can be built. Would recommend working here.
Love working for the Durham Board of Education. Great benefits. Friendly athmosphere. Love working with the school staff. Co-workers are ftiendly to work and always willing to help each other.
It's a government job
This is the third biggest school board in the province of Ontario. If you don't know if you want a job that is paid by the government and has the freedom of a public job you are dumb
Enjoyable job but no benefit or security
Time schedule is very convenient .
Friendly environment most of the time

Meet alot of people with varied personalities.

Learned many different ideas and methods

Very flexible where we can choose half or full day

Dealing with different people everyday

Carrying all the belonging based on the changing in weather
Relaxed environment, Great People, Need Better Mgmt in some areas
My dept was very unorganized. Reactive versus proactive. Many processes are old and outdated and VERY time consuming.
Overall, the people were great but mgmt could improve.
Learn something everyday and never boring
I loved working for the school board.
I worked along some pretty amazing staff and I loved learning about the students I worked with.

Learning new ways of handling difficult situations and always trying to make a difference students days really is rewarding.
Pros
Never boring
Cons
Being on a supply list never knowing where you are working from day to day.
My job as an EA
As an EA work can be very difficult, working with aggressive students can make it a very stressful and dangerous job. Management can be difficult but not always. Time off can be is great but not choosing your vacation time can be annoying.
work
great company to work for. there is room to grow and alot of professional development opportunities. You need to find a good school to work at because unfortunately some schools are better than others and some principals make it hard to provide the best support for the students.
flexible because i am a causal worker - hoping to get full-time
it takes long to get a f/t position.
I enjoy my work assisting the students and I work extremely hard to support and make a difference in their school life. I am not sure if that is recognized by management or rarely get seen.

the full time jobs are not visible as a causal worker.
Demanding work environment
Teaching is a demanding job. Class sizes continue to rise and individual student needs increase. Parents are very demanding and critical. More pressure comes from the Board office yearly.
Great supports in place for workers.
I enjoyed working for DDSB. They were a fair and good employer to me during my time with them.

My role was part-time beginning in the morning. I did secretarial tasks, as well as addressed student, parent, and Board concerns while supporting my Head Secretary.
Good Place to work
It is a good place to work. The pay could be better but it is a fun work environment and feels like a stable place to work. Hoping to spend my career working there but always looking for better opportunities.
Great if you love to tutor/teach in fast paced environment.
Great place to teach students various subjects and watch them improve in a short amount of time. Must change tutoring style everyday based on the needs of the specific student. Fun, relaxed environment. Would recommend as a summer job.
DDSB Work Environment
expected you to be available Monday to Friday even though the work was not guaranteed. Work schedule varies based on assignment. Some teachers were friendly while most were not very welcoming. Students were often disrespectful.
Enjoy working there
Great colleagues to work with. I’ve been
fortunate to have good working collaboration! Salary could definitely be improved along with some changes to

our working contract.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3