Durham District School Board

Durham District School Board Employee Reviews

Educational Assistant

Face paced collaborative career. Very rewarding career. Great pension and benefits. Working with special needs children on a daily basis. Must be flexible and the job can be physically demanding Durham district School board is a wonderful place to work. Staff and students are professional

Always a new day to look forward to and always something new and exciting happening

I loved working with the people and kids at the schools. There was always something new every day to look forward to and the kids were awesome! The teachers were friendly, I always had fun when I went I to work, even on the hardest days we always found something good to focus on!

Pros

Great people

Cons

Having to say good by at the end of the year

Energetic work, Love to watch children play

Fun environment and helpful management, but some times some children are tough and not behaving!! Half and hour be outdoor even in cold winter. Love to watching children playing and having fun. Pleasure to help during lunch time. But some time they ignore Supervisors for some specific directions. Overall its good experience to work nearby your house if your hours are flexible. Some teachers are nice but some not friendly.

Pros

Nearby schools, management helps

Cons

One hour only, half hour outdoor during winter.

Great if you want to be a slave

Great place to work if you like back stabbing co-workers and your private life being talked about behind your back. The gossiping is ridiculous! Must follow what Union says, you don’t have your own voice! Teachers treated ECEs as minimal assistants and not valuable team members even though is ECE’s we’re doing triple the work they were for less pay!

Pros

Pay, work life balance, summers off, all school holidays off, benefits, retirement savings plan

Cons

Coworkers, no support from admin, must follow union

it is a fun and learning experience in different settings. it gives the chance to broaden one's horizon

it gives the oppotunity to pick up a lot of ideas and creativities. it helps me to manage my time and balance between by life and work, and it didn't tie me to daily planning and preparation. i like the diversity in the workplace . the hardest part is when someone doesn't feel belong and there is no friendly environment and feel rejected.

Pros

flexibility, a lot of experience of network, different experience of different settings

Cons

financial insecurity, irregular work(last minute call), not belonging(feeling lonely)

Great Experience

Great Job! Love working as part of a team and supporting students. Everyday is different and keeps things interesting. Great place to work! Typical school day hours.

Learning Experience

With this being my first volunteer experience in a professional setting, I learned first hand how to work in a team involvement, where communication and respect were key factors in not only getting the job done but also providing an enjoyable work experience.

Allows flexiability with family

• Supervision includes passing lunches and other packaged food to the students, ensuring that lunchroom clean-up is performed prior to the end of the lunch period, and monitoring the students at lunch and reporting back to teachers and staff

Excellent work environment

The staff in the DDSB were amazing in teaching and including me in all activities. Very friendly and helpful. collaboration is massive in the board and the work environment shows it.

Fun workplace

Good workplace culture. Working hands on with students was a great experience. Enjoyed working alongside teachers and staff in a school environment. Administrative and tutoring duties.

Excellent career choice

For supply work you never what you're getting into upon receiving your assignment but once you recieve an lto or full-time and get into a routine it is quite enjoyable and rewarding. Great place to work.

A flexible work environment.

A flexible work environment with many different opportunity. Great people to work with. Long term relationships can be built. Would recommend working here.

Love working for the Durham Board of Education. Great benefits. Friendly athmosphere. Love working with the school staff. Co-workers are ftiendly to work and always willing to help each other.

It's a government job

This is the third biggest school board in the province of Ontario. If you don't know if you want a job that is paid by the government and has the freedom of a public job you are dumb

Enjoyable job but no benefit or security

Time schedule is very convenient . Friendly environment most of the time Meet alot of people with varied personalities. Learned many different ideas and methods Very flexible where we can choose half or full day Dealing with different people everyday Carrying all the belonging based on the changing in weather

Relaxed environment, Great People, Need Better Mgmt in some areas

My dept was very unorganized. Reactive versus proactive. Many processes are old and outdated and VERY time consuming. Overall, the people were great but mgmt could improve.

Learn something everyday and never boring

I loved working for the school board. I worked along some pretty amazing staff and I loved learning about the students I worked with. Learning new ways of handling difficult situations and always trying to make a difference students days really is rewarding.

Pros

Never boring

Cons

Being on a supply list never knowing where you are working from day to day.

My job as an EA

As an EA work can be very difficult, working with aggressive students can make it a very stressful and dangerous job. Management can be difficult but not always. Time off can be is great but not choosing your vacation time can be annoying.

work

great company to work for. there is room to grow and alot of professional development opportunities. You need to find a good school to work at because unfortunately some schools are better than others and some principals make it hard to provide the best support for the students.

flexible because i am a causal worker - hoping to get full-time

it takes long to get a f/t position. I enjoy my work assisting the students and I work extremely hard to support and make a difference in their school life. I am not sure if that is recognized by management or rarely get seen. the full time jobs are not visible as a causal worker.

Demanding work environment

Teaching is a demanding job. Class sizes continue to rise and individual student needs increase. Parents are very demanding and critical. More pressure comes from the Board office yearly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham District School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2