DURHAM DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

review
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON6 November 2017
The Board Has been amazing to work for. In the past 14 years I have felt like a part of a family in the current job role I am in. Great and positive attitudes.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
unsure
Theater Technician
Theater Technician (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2017
Responsible for meeting all the permit holders needs and requests. This may include setup and tear down, setting up microphones, running the lighting system, running any audio or anything else the permit holder requests.
Productive and beneficial.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON29 August 2017
All of my previews and current work places have taught or are teaching me a lot of great life lessons and teaching me how to live an organized life where i am able to take care of myself.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
High paced
Enjoyable work environment
Casual Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON16 August 2017
DDSB is a professional workplace. Ability to work with a wide range of students that may be academically challenged or physically challenged. Ability to work at the individuals required pace.
Pros
Weekday hours
Cons
Different locations daily
amazing place to grow and work with a outstanding team
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON3 August 2017
really good culture here, great pay great staff , amazing time working here . would recommend this job to all who enjoy teaching and working with kids
Pros
summers off
Cons
full time hard to get
Good supportive work environment
Primary French Immersion Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2017
- good staff training
- good communication
- don't always feel well supported with adequate resources
- sometimes I feel that staff are moved around too much which makes for less continuity
Love helping kids
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 May 2017
You're very busy.
You learn about the needs and the differences between all special need children. No one is a like.
Every Admin staff is different, each work on their own rules to accommodate you when needed.
Workplace is good, it is mostly an all women environment.
Days can be long and tiring if you've had a rough day with a child that is having a rough day.
Best thing is seeing a child succeed.
Pros
summers off
Cons
Do not get paid enough for what we are expected to do.
Fun, Productive
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 May 2017
Working for the Durham District School board as a tutor was super fun. The staff was great, and everything was well organized. I had a great time tutoring the kids, and felt a lot of satisfaction. I would recommend this job to University students who are looking for a summer job, and are willing to tutor.
Intense career but incredible job satisfaction
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON13 April 2017
Being a teacher was the best job a person could ask for and I don't regret a single day. I've learned more in my job as a teacher than in most things. As long as you are prepared to teach with lessons and back up plans, you will be ready for almost anything.

It's not always easy and the trick is to adapt to any surroundings and possibilities. However the most enjoyable part and most satisfaction is seeing a student understand what is taught, especially the most challenging ones.
Pros
the end of the school year when the student graduates.
Cons
the challenging ones that purposely choose to make it difficult for the teacher.
Productive fun work place
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 January 2017
A fun place to work with kids you get to meet new people it's a fun environment the staff are great the kids love me butwod
Love more hours then just 1 hour a day
Pros
Great place to meet new people
Cons
I wish there were more hours to workout
Productive, fair, nice environment. Learning encouraged.
Clerical Administration (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON23 November 2016
This is a fair and enjoyable workplace. Surrounded with educators and students. Learning is encouraged and respect for all can be felt. Secure environment.
Pros
Security and fair treatment
Cons
Limited mobility.
Supply E.A
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON8 August 2016
A typical day at work included caring for the needs of children of all cognitive disorders, Autism Spectrum, ages and grade levels.
Fun
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 July 2016
Truthfully I don't remember much about this one I just remember names and it was fun. I was there to help the teacher with small tasks and help students with problems.
An
LUNCH ROOM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON7 July 2016
A typical day at work consisted of observing and supervising grades one to eight during lunch time. My coworkers as well as management were polite and friendly and easy to get along with. I enjoyed working here.
Pros
Short hours.
Cons
Minimum wage
Awesome staff
Lunch time Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greenbank, ON5 May 2016
New here and love the school and the kids & staff. I feel comfy there and would love for my daughter to attend this school. Id love for opportunity to open up within the classroom or in the office,
Pros
Friendly and great staff
Cons
need more assistants in classes
If you are a visible minority you will feel alone here
Clerical Work (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON8 April 2016
I was interviewed by a group of people who do not represent the community at large. I was shocked when I received the job because I was unrepresented in the interview process. Once in, I feel isolated and alone and I have received some comments that separate me from others based on my ethnicity.
The DDSB employees and higher level management do not reflect the students that they are working for, which I find disheartening. I think more visible minority students would feel comfortable reaching out to the employees if they were more representative of their uniqueness.
Albeit, the employees are very kind and friendly and I enjoyed my time here.
I kind of felt that a lot of the staff is unhappy but just working to get their pension, which is unfortunate. I would rather work for a company that I am happy to be there and make a difference, not just looking for security in retirement.
Pros
casual Fridays and summer Fridays
Cons
A lot of changes within a year, overpaid management and underpaid casuals, no ability to work from home.
Occasional Teacher
Occasional Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON22 March 2016
A typical day starts at 5:00 am, while I wait by my phone to receive a call for the day. I can teach from Kindergarten to Grade.12 therefore, I can work at an elementary school, junior school or highschool. Once I receive the call with information about grade, location and school I hop in my car, turn on my GPS and I am on my way. When I arrive, I sign in at the Main Office, where they give me information about my classroom, students and other key information that will help me have a smooth transition for the day. Once, I get to my classroom, I read the lesson plans for the day and start organization what needs to be done to ensure success for the students. At the end of the day, I leave detailed notes for the regular classroom teacher, such as what we completed, students behaviour, and any other special notes that the teacher might need to know for the following days.
Productive and fun workplace
Theatre Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 March 2016
You would come in early before the permit is set to start. Introduce yourself to the permit holder, ask for any specific requests such as, extra mics, cables, extention cords and etc. I learned more about myself and what i am capable of doing. I also learned a lot about sound and lighting and a lot of it came from my co-workers.
Pros
Learn new things
Great atmosphere
Secretary of Insurance (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 January 2016
The people are really nice, welcoming and friendly. The atmosphere is great. Amazing work life balance as majority of employees have children in the school board. Really enjoyed my time working here.
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON19 November 2015
While it is difficult to obtain a teaching position, substituting is a great alternative. It prepares you for all types of classes and age groups, also helps to hone your skills as a teacher.