DURHAM DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Fun place
Summer School Tutor/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 September 2018
Amazing place to work and build connections
Management was easy to approach via telephone/email
taught subjects I was scared of teaching (highschool vs primary)
Fun working environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 July 2018
Learned a lot about the workforce and learned how to properly act in an interview for a job offer. Also learned Standard First Aid & CPR for free which is amazing
Great work/life balance
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 June 2018
DDSB is a great employer. Very supportive of work/life balance. Great culture. Very collaborative environment between departments. Excellent benefits.
Excellent
Intermediate Teacher - Arts Liaison (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 June 2018
Excellent professional environment. Many opportunities for different skill sets. The last 23 years have been rewarding. I have had the opportunity to work with many wonderful staff and students.
Supply Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 May 2018
Have only been with the DDSB since November but have learned a great deal. I feel that my toolbelt has expanded a great deal and I am a stronger person.
Daily violence; underfunded and understaffed
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 March 2018
The job started as assisting children with education but after years of cutbacks became more like a security guard/bouncer, putting out fires with little support, no thanks, and a lot of backstabbing.
Pros
hours
Cons
Workplace violence and harassment
Part-time learning
NIGHT SCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 January 2018
This was a part time position for night school, training in the subject of graphoanalysis.

I truly enjoyed the students and night school supervisor who made all amenities available.

This course was developed and presented by me and because of student interest it was offered more than a few times.
Pros
eager student
Cons
n/a
An enjoyable place to work
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON13 January 2018
The Durham District School Board is an excellent employer. I enjoy the diversity of my position as an Educational Assistant. The staff are like family and truly care about each other
Excellent work Enviroment!
Junior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 December 2017
A typical day at work is discussing the tasks that are at hand for the day. During the discussion we create a time chart to make sure we stay onto of the projects we receive.

Few things I learned about the job was it is a multitasking line of work, a lot can overlap but, you will get through it fine!

My boss was very nice and understood that with this job it does have some challenges to meet clients needs in a productive and timely manner as she was willing to help any step of the way.

The hardest part about the job was leaving the company once time was up, it was an amazing group of partners which continue to inspire me through my career!

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see that after all the hard work you put into the final concept, the client is happy and joyful which makes me want to continue having more people feel like that through this type of career.
Pros
Social environment with helpful partners!
Cons
The hardest part about the job was leaving the company
review
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON6 November 2017
The Board Has been amazing to work for. In the past 14 years I have felt like a part of a family in the current job role I am in. Great and positive attitudes.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
unsure
Theater Technician
Theater Technician (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2017
Responsible for meeting all the permit holders needs and requests. This may include setup and tear down, setting up microphones, running the lighting system, running any audio or anything else the permit holder requests.
Productive and beneficial.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON29 August 2017
All of my previews and current work places have taught or are teaching me a lot of great life lessons and teaching me how to live an organized life where i am able to take care of myself.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
High paced
Enjoyable work environment
Casual Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON16 August 2017
DDSB is a professional workplace. Ability to work with a wide range of students that may be academically challenged or physically challenged. Ability to work at the individuals required pace.
Pros
Weekday hours
Cons
Different locations daily
amazing place to grow and work with a outstanding team
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON3 August 2017
really good culture here, great pay great staff , amazing time working here . would recommend this job to all who enjoy teaching and working with kids
Pros
summers off
Cons
full time hard to get
Good supportive work environment
Primary French Immersion Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2017
- good staff training
- good communication
- don't always feel well supported with adequate resources
- sometimes I feel that staff are moved around too much which makes for less continuity
Love helping kids
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 May 2017
You're very busy.
You learn about the needs and the differences between all special need children. No one is a like.
Every Admin staff is different, each work on their own rules to accommodate you when needed.
Workplace is good, it is mostly an all women environment.
Days can be long and tiring if you've had a rough day with a child that is having a rough day.
Best thing is seeing a child succeed.
Pros
summers off
Cons
Do not get paid enough for what we are expected to do.
Fun, Productive
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON5 May 2017
Working for the Durham District School board as a tutor was super fun. The staff was great, and everything was well organized. I had a great time tutoring the kids, and felt a lot of satisfaction. I would recommend this job to University students who are looking for a summer job, and are willing to tutor.
Intense career but incredible job satisfaction
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON13 April 2017
Being a teacher was the best job a person could ask for and I don't regret a single day. I've learned more in my job as a teacher than in most things. As long as you are prepared to teach with lessons and back up plans, you will be ready for almost anything.

It's not always easy and the trick is to adapt to any surroundings and possibilities. However the most enjoyable part and most satisfaction is seeing a student understand what is taught, especially the most challenging ones.
Pros
the end of the school year when the student graduates.
Cons
the challenging ones that purposely choose to make it difficult for the teacher.
Productive fun work place
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 January 2017
A fun place to work with kids you get to meet new people it's a fun environment the staff are great the kids love me butwod
Love more hours then just 1 hour a day
Pros
Great place to meet new people
Cons
I wish there were more hours to workout
Productive, fair, nice environment. Learning encouraged.
Clerical Administration (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON23 November 2016
This is a fair and enjoyable workplace. Surrounded with educators and students. Learning is encouraged and respect for all can be felt. Secure environment.
Pros
Security and fair treatment
Cons
Limited mobility.