Durham College Employee Reviews

Amazing pay for a fun summer job!
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 November 2017
I had a lot of fun working under the college for this short time. I wish I could've done it for the whole summer. although it could've used a bit more organization though that has to do with advertising the courses offered.
Pros
great co-workers
Great enviroment
Associate of Arts (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 November 2017
Everyone at durham is respectful and hardworking. They always do their best to their ability to make sure each student or individual feels safe and happy.
Great people. Job security or becoming permanent is an issue.
Instructor - Corporate Training Services (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON10 November 2017
Interesting work, great colleagues.

major drawback - working on contract - extremely difficult to become permanent employee despite exceptional work and support of supervisor
Friendly workplace
Residence Academic Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 September 2017
People are very nice, the management is great. The workplace culture is great! Everyone there is incredibly supportive. People there were always positive and kind
Amazing place to work!
Landscapers assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON11 September 2017
Great management, great environment, and fun place to be!
I would strongly recommend for anyone who has a chance to work there, to take it! Even if it is a temporary thing, take the opportunity!
great working environment
Fire Prevention and Safety Assistant (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 August 2017
awesome place to work/volunteer. Manager/supervisors were very organized, provided enough training, open to answering question, and allowed you to freely express yourself. Overall it was a great experience.
Interesting Workplace
PT-College Professor School of BITM (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, On7 July 2017
Working here is a balance between 2 worlds and 2 generations. One you have the professional world where you work with people who all have the same goal; is for the student's to succeed. The other is the students who are not professional in anyway which can be frustrating because they think that they have to take responsibility.

A typical day is lecturing and then being in class for the students as they work on their assignments. After class if necessary hold office hours otherwise go back to main office, check in with the administration any updates necessary.

Other days is composed of marking, and prep work for the next class.

Otherwise a great experience.
Partial Load / Sessional Instructor ( Networking ) (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 May 2017
A fun, engaging and vibrant environment with faculty, support staff and management who really care about giving the best opportunity and education to the students
Great people to work with and work with familiar faces.
Representative (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON25 May 2017
Worked for the summer, but the salary was great and I overall enjoyed working there cause every day was something different. Especially when we took the Jeep out to Autoshows.
Not a Bad job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 May 2017
working at durham college was a great experience for me i learned a lot about the Hospitality management Business. i would Recommend this job to someone who is just starting out in there first job.
Pros
met a lot of new people
Cons
Not a lot of hours
10/10, would tutor again
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 May 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working as a personal tutor, helping inexperienced students to learn something, generally in such a way that they also gained a benefit in their class
Pros
flexible hours, guaranteed pay
Cons
inconsistent students
Enjoyed it while it lasted.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 April 2017
I was hired here for a short-term photography job and i enjoyed it to an extent, however the late nights and loud music eventually wore me out physically and mentally.
Pros
Enjoyable environment, creative control
Cons
late hours, past midnight.
Productive and fun workplace
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 April 2017
I would fix computers at the IT help desk. The work culture was a simple but fun one, where you enjoyed doing your job without management over your head. It helped me learn a lot about computers and how to apply my skills on other computer issues.
Pros
Flexible hours with schedule
Cons
Slow paced
Productive workplace
APICS Member (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 February 2017
Typical day is being a tutor for students in a few subject areas. I learned that each person has their own way of learning things and that each person handles stress differently.
Pros
Help other students understand the material
Cons
N/a
helpdesk analyst
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 February 2017
even though i was there only a few months, i felt if there was a job at durham college that opened up, i would want to say there my whole life. (it department contract employee)
Pros
job security, 0 on call time
Cons
bureaucracy
Good Laboratory experience
Microbiology lab preparation assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 February 2017
This was a placement job in the microbiology laboratory or Durham college.
Typical days consisted of cleaning glassware, and preparation of auger for classes.
The Management was good and always clear about what was needed and training on how to properly prepare solutions was very thorough
Great school and offers amazing learning experiences
Paramedic Program (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 February 2017
Amazing teaching staff and class peers. Very inclusive and geared towards benefiting the students. Promotes community involvement and real world experience, rather than purely simulation.
Accomodating and Friendly
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 February 2017
Meeting with students to work on course material, preparation for exams, and implement effective study plans.
Staff is very supportive and friendly.
Pros
Work around your schedule
Outgoing and Ambitious Staff
Student Orientation and Transitions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 December 2016
I love working at Durham College because it allows me to expand the skills I have acquired in school and apply them to the job.
Great atmosphere
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 December 2016
Durham College has been a great place to work part time while I am in full time studies. The people are extremely friendly and it has a great atmosphere!