Dulux Paints Employee Reviews

Poor management and doesn't like to pay employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON6 March 2019
I was employed at Georgetown ON, location for a short period of time and was literally the whipping boy there. Customers were trash and didn't like seeing new faces and had rude comments about me being a new employee in front of the novice but power hungry manager. Managers don't have the best interest of the employees in mind and also don't like to pay as I didn't receive pay in over a month of uninterrupted attendance and no response about my pay from the store manager from the time of pay period to 5 days later when I quit in front of the district manager which was doing the store managers dirty work. They allow customers to belittle new employees for the sake of keeping large contractors and their big money purchases. The silly manager also enjoyed cutting hours without saying anything. So a 34 hour week would be reduced to 16 and 39.5 hour week would be reduced to 17 just because she can. I do not recommend this store or company for employment. Stay away.
Pros
Coffee and water
Cons
Everything including lack of professionalism
Backbreaking work for cheap minimum wage!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 February 2019
I was hired to work as a part-time salesperson, but spent most of my time, constantly lifting heavy cans of paint on and off of trucks! Not paid enough to risk injuring my back and the staff work hours were constantly being reduced without any notice. A horrible job and they are always hiring staff due to high turnover rate. (Another greedy, creepy corporation that only hires part-time people to avoid paying any benefits for full-time employees.)
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Horrible managment and cheap pay
Silly manager with a god complex
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON5 February 2019
I worked there for a short period, the manager lacked proper training and communication skills to train new employees. Not very professional sending emails on a public computer and server slandering their employees and talking about firing certain employees giving false reports to their manager. Overall a waste of time and don't recommend this employer.
Pros
Coffee machine and water dispenser.
Cons
Poor management, no communication, slanders and power tripping management.
Great coworkers, great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2018
Fun company to work for until the corporate structure created an environment where people are just numbers. Great customers who I created a lot of memories with.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Low pay, no raises
Relaxed workplace, free coffee, good benefits.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB14 November 2018
Only hard part of the job are the big orders to be shipped out per week, but even that isn't bad. Great job to keep you active, thinking, and fit.
Loads of regular customers.
Pros
Free coffee, mistints.
Enjoyable Work Environment
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB24 September 2018
Enjoyed working with Dulux Paints. Small store and small staff makes it a comfortable place to work. If you enjoy customer service, this is the job for you. Mostly contractor sales. Enjoying working with colour and providing product info/know-how is an asset. Free coffee! Best part was evenings and holidays off.
Pros
Small staff, small store, regular customers/contractors, decent benefits, good work hours.
Cons
Small staff, some customers/contractors think its ok to be rude and pushy, must work alone sundays.
Awful
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL28 July 2018
I had a terrible experience with this company. From being yelled at, to having district managers trick me into seeing naked pictures, to never having my questions answered to help better serve customers on my own.

Horrible place to work.
Benefits
Cons
Too many to list
Stay Away
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 July 2018
You can bust your butt, but you won't get recognized for it. And don't think about being paid according to the amount of work you have to do. You'll get paid the same as a fast food worker but will have 10X the responsibility. The company refuses to install security cameras and there are times when you'll have to work alone for hours at a time.
Interesting place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 July 2018
Everyday is different and interesting. Lots of characters come into the store and keep you entertained. Expected to know a lot about anything related to a house even if its not paint related because random people will ask you odd home questions.
Ok but a lot of work for less pay than competitors
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada10 July 2018
This company has given me a lot of business knowledge and experience and I've worked with some really great people. There is a lot of room for growth. However it has transformed more into a cold corporate company more about the bottom line and less caring towards the people working in stores. When I started in the company it was great feeling like you were apart of a team. It's a shame they strayed so far from that kind of workplace atmosphere.
A typical Day in the Life of a Paint Supplier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 July 2018
A typical day at work included cleaning, organizing shelves, and mixing paint.
I learned about different paint products and the differences between them.
The Management were extremely encouraging.
The hardest part of the job was remembering every single product in the store and what each project each product was for.
The most enjoyable part of the job was tinting the paint, because it was the only time I ever got to work with the product itself.
Good Starter Job
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS4 June 2018
I started my job at Dulux Paints following my graduation from university. I always felt very welcome coming to work and over time developed meaningful relationships with all of my coworkers which I hope to maintain even after leaving the company. I had great managers and owners who were very fair and overall a pleasure to work for. My main reason for leaving the company was career advancement. This does not reflect on my coworkers in any way shape or form. I would recommend this company to those looking for a challenging work environment as well as for those looking for a close knit family community in the workplace.
Pros
Excellent coworkers. Very flexible in terms of days off/vacations
Cons
Lunch policy, challenges of a retail setting.
Productive and fun work place with clients and staff.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2018
i loved the overall environment of the work place. I enjoyed working with my customers and the staff was a huge part of the atmosphere in the shop. The mental work part of the job was a little frustrating because of the customer complaints of products and availability etc..
Pros
customer appreciation
Cons
overload of what the employer would expect the job requirements
great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON28 March 2018
I loved my co-workers and getting to know the regular customers when they came in. Great hours, lots of online training provided. Dulux is a great place to work.
Terrible Management and Work Culture
Sales Developement Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 March 2018
The sales manager used out of date business tactics and behaved like a used car salesman. Unacceptable requests were made and a huge disconnect with communication. Truth about products and prices were often mislead to the customers. Very clicky atmosphere and a lot of gossip and talk happening behind the scenes.

I would not recommend working for PPG as it was the worst experience I have had in my professional career. If you want to be treated with rude and disrespectful behaviour this would be the company. If you want to work in a professional, organized, honest company, this is not a good choice .... of course my opinion.
Great job, Horrible management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON25 January 2018
Ive never seen a worse run place. These guys have no clue how to communicate between the head office and store level. High turnover and no compensation for doing multiple people's jobs. Low staff headcount makes it easy for the company to manipulate close working relationships to make employees do what they want. No negotiation process when asking for more money or addressing pay raises for increased responsibility. No security and expected to be in store alone at least an hour every day. Location makes no difference, if the expense doesn't immediately generate income, they won't spend it (I.e. Cameras to increase job safety) Just a very close minded company who thinks the work you do for them is as replaceable as a Mcdonalds worker.
Pros
Slow paces
Cons
Everything you can think of.
Slave work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 January 2018
Corporate structure makes it very difficult to attain bonus. Upper management is a total mess. Will never work for them again. Demand is high on workers and managers with poor support from leadership above them. Retail work and pay.
Pros
Good for students
Cons
Stores are a mess. Feel sorry for managers and coworkers
great job
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON17 January 2018
a great company to work for, a lot of communication with other companies and contacter, always a pleasure to help other with picking colours or help carrying the paint to the car
great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 January 2018
Dulux is a great place to work the staff are great. Hours a re good and the people are great people to be around there are never a dull moment at Dulux Paints
Csr
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2017
Good work environment, healthy and safety updated regularly, very nice customers, manageable job load, a lot of opportunity for advancement, good benefits
Pros
health benefits