Dulux Paints Employee Reviews

Enjoyable Work Environment
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB24 September 2018
Enjoyed working with Dulux Paints. Small store and small staff makes it a comfortable place to work. If you enjoy customer service, this is the job for you. Mostly contractor sales. Enjoying working with colour and providing product info/know-how is an asset. Free coffee! Best part was evenings and holidays off.
Pros
Small staff, small store, regular customers/contractors, decent benefits, good work hours.
Cons
Small staff, some customers/contractors think its ok to be rude and pushy, must work alone sundays.
Great coworkers, great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2018
Fun company to work for until the corporate structure created an environment where people are just numbers. Great customers who I created a lot of memories with.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Low pay, no raises
Awful
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL28 July 2018
I had a terrible experience with this company. From being yelled at, to having district managers trick me into seeing naked pictures, to never having my questions answered to help better serve customers on my own.

Horrible place to work.
Benefits
Cons
Too many to list
Great job, Horrible management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON25 January 2018
Ive never seen a worse run place. These guys have no clue how to communicate between the head office and store level. High turnover and no compensation for doing multiple people's jobs. Low staff headcount makes it easy for the company to manipulate close working relationships to make employees do what they want. No negotiation process when asking for more money or addressing pay raises for increased responsibility. No security and expected to be in store alone at least an hour every day. Location makes no difference, if the expense doesn't immediately generate income, they won't spend it (I.e. Cameras to increase job safety) Just a very close minded company who thinks the work you do for them is as replaceable as a Mcdonalds worker.
Pros
Slow paces
Cons
Everything you can think of.
Good Starter Job
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS4 June 2018
I started my job at Dulux Paints following my graduation from university. I always felt very welcome coming to work and over time developed meaningful relationships with all of my coworkers which I hope to maintain even after leaving the company. I had great managers and owners who were very fair and overall a pleasure to work for. My main reason for leaving the company was career advancement. This does not reflect on my coworkers in any way shape or form. I would recommend this company to those looking for a challenging work environment as well as for those looking for a close knit family community in the workplace.
Pros
Excellent coworkers. Very flexible in terms of days off/vacations
Cons
Lunch policy, challenges of a retail setting.
Relaxed workplace, free coffee, good benefits.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB14 November 2018
Only hard part of the job are the big orders to be shipped out per week, but even that isn't bad. Great job to keep you active, thinking, and fit.
Loads of regular customers.
Pros
Free coffee, mistints.
Terrible Management and Work Culture
Sales Developement Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 March 2018
The sales manager used out of date business tactics and behaved like a used car salesman. Unacceptable requests were made and a huge disconnect with communication. Truth about products and prices were often mislead to the customers. Very clicky atmosphere and a lot of gossip and talk happening behind the scenes.

I would not recommend working for PPG as it was the worst experience I have had in my professional career. If you want to be treated with rude and disrespectful behaviour this would be the company. If you want to work in a professional, organized, honest company, this is not a good choice .... of course my opinion.
A typical Day in the Life of a Paint Supplier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 July 2018
A typical day at work included cleaning, organizing shelves, and mixing paint.
I learned about different paint products and the differences between them.
The Management were extremely encouraging.
The hardest part of the job was remembering every single product in the store and what each project each product was for.
The most enjoyable part of the job was tinting the paint, because it was the only time I ever got to work with the product itself.
Ok but a lot of work for less pay than competitors
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada10 July 2018
This company has given me a lot of business knowledge and experience and I've worked with some really great people. There is a lot of room for growth. However it has transformed more into a cold corporate company more about the bottom line and less caring towards the people working in stores. When I started in the company it was great feeling like you were apart of a team. It's a shame they strayed so far from that kind of workplace atmosphere.
Stay Away
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 July 2018
You can bust your butt, but you won't get recognized for it. And don't think about being paid according to the amount of work you have to do. You'll get paid the same as a fast food worker but will have 10X the responsibility. The company refuses to install security cameras and there are times when you'll have to work alone for hours at a time.
No raises! And bullied in the workplace.
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB17 March 2014
I had worked for the company for 2 years. They finally decided to give everyone a raise at 2%!!! I felt like I was wasting my time. My manager at the time kept telling me I was going to be a manager anytime now. That was a lie, that's all it was. A big fat lie! I went above and beyond to learn new things about the business and do whatever I could to become a store manager, yet non of my work was appreciated. And on top of that, I was bullied by fellow co workers who had been working there not as long as I was. And my manager always told me I was the one to blame for the drama and gossip around the store. I was pushed to leave, and I would never consider going back to work for this outrageously lazy business. Save yourself time, and don't apply. My experience was terrible!
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
Management, bullying, wages, no time off
Csr
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2017
Good work environment, healthy and safety updated regularly, very nice customers, manageable job load, a lot of opportunity for advancement, good benefits
Pros
health benefits
Terrible Work Environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB7 May 2017
Long hours, no set schedules, always under pressure to meet sales deadlines, no appreciation when making sales goals, upper management not supportive, senior employees can do whatever they want with out any consequences, training is terrible because they teach you one thing and do another ... Great salary and benefits but not worth the stress ... do not recommend working here
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Bullying environment, too much gossip, terrible training
Interesting place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 July 2018
Everyday is different and interesting. Lots of characters come into the store and keep you entertained. Expected to know a lot about anything related to a house even if its not paint related because random people will ask you odd home questions.
PPG ruined this company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 May 2017
Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Worked at 2 differant locations all with poor managment. Location in Kitchener drives their staff away. No room for advancement or raises. They only care about the corporate dollar value and not the well being of those who work on the front lines in their stores.
Pros
Few
Cons
Poor management skills
Corporate Company with Great Values but provided no Professional Growth.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE2 January 2013
Opened store at 8:00 am to get local contractors their paint for their daily jobs...around 10:00 you would then start to see the general public for their (D.I.Y) projects. General use of math was abundant, as you would have to know how much paint and wallpaper would be required to meet the customers needs. Worked with the same team for 12 years and considered them Family. The hardest part of the job was lifting & tinting 20ltr pails of paint...not to mention Hand Bombing the paint from Delivery trucks that did not have Hydraulic Lifts. The best and most rewarding part about the job was developing friendships with Contractors, Clients and Staff.
Pros
safe environment, benefits and training provided.
Cons
no future growth.
Very fun and atmospheric
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB24 August 2017
I have workes here for 6 months now, the benefits are great, team atmosphere is amazing, managers are informative and helpful. I never find myself intimidated when talking with hiigher ups. Outside the box ideas are very welcome.
Pros
Hands on training, great customer interactions, good physical work. Great benefits
Cons
Country music.
Poor upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Poor pay/benefits for work needed. Lifting paint all day is tough. No support from upper management. Experienced store managers have pretty much all been booted out the door in favour of cheaper/younger managers. A lot of staff rotation, good people don't stay in this toxic workplace.
Pros
co-workers and customers make the job bearable.
Cons
Low pay for hard work, typical "American" company culture: workers are treated as numbers.
Productive and fun work place with clients and staff.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2018
i loved the overall environment of the work place. I enjoyed working with my customers and the staff was a huge part of the atmosphere in the shop. The mental work part of the job was a little frustrating because of the customer complaints of products and availability etc..
Pros
customer appreciation
Cons
overload of what the employer would expect the job requirements
Very Demanding
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 July 2016
I enjoy the work that I do except, it is a very hard company to advance in. Dulux paints would rather hire from an outside pool instead of allowing their long term employees a chance at advancement. They are extremely demanding of their employees with very little compensation in return, ie. very low pay for what you are asked to do.