Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board Employee Reviews

Acceptable workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 January 2019
This is an acceptable workplace for teaching and support staff. Catholic leadership is important and typical of this job. Opportunities for professional growth.
Good working environment
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 January 2019
Work environment is very good, morale is above average, and an overall satisfying place to work. Benefits for non-union were excellent until the Wynne Liberals slashed it, but still an overall good place to work.

There are lots of changes still coming, but outlook looks to be even better. Would definitely be a recommended place to work.
Pros
salary, work/life balance, morale
Cons
health benefits, minor management issues
Classroom Tutor/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 December 2018
Great environment, very encouraging staff. Great place to be creative with your own skills and gain experience in the school environment. Good experience if looking to get into teaching.
We are a giving community of teachers who need to support and uphold our desire to do good
teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Gerard27 November 2018
Teaching is a career that I loved and valued to the end. I have a lot of skills to offer the world and I am hoping to branch out in other ways to practice my purpose and growth
Pros
watching children grow and learn
Cons
it could get depleting if work is not done to stay balanced and grounded, the needs of a classroom of children can sometimes be uplifting and sometimes demanding
Camp leader
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 September 2018
It was a very fast pace job with a lot of resposiblities. Had a fun packed day. Watch children from ages 10 -12 years old on a daily bases. Helped clean all areas indoor and outdoor. Helped to make sure each child got their lunch and snack. Help to teach the children with all activities and routines. Dealt with minor issues/ arguments and problems.
Pros
everything free and great people to work with
Cons
had a hard time with my allergies
Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 September 2018
being a part of the school board and working in the schools is very rewarding.
the most enjoyable part of the job is being someone the students can come to if they need to talk
Good work emvironment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 July 2018
Great hours
Summers off
Christmas off
March break and other holidays most prople dont get
No micro managing, work at your own pace....................
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hrs
good place to work. safe envirament
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 July 2018
Taking care of the building inside and outside grounds.
Cleaning all surfaces including washrooms, rooms and corridors.
Communicating with all school staff verbally and by e-mail.
Making work schedules and projects for all cleaners in the building.
Hardest time to work is during winter. Removing snow ice and salting walkways.
Its pretty good
TECH VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 July 2018
It is a school board so there really isn't any pay or job advancement. They really just educate you and give you chances to volunteer. They have good management and I have had a pretty great time there
Interactive, stimulating experience and building of independence
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Malton, ON1 April 2018
During my time working as a camp counsellor for the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board, my ability to cooperate and work effectively as a group increased as those were the main requirements I had to fill daily. The workplace environment was filled with positive energy and encouragement from my coworkers as we worked together to create the best day possible for the children we were working with. My coworkers and I were divided into partners or trios, and assigned a group of around 10-15 kids that we were responsible for for that day. We created activities, monitored their behaviour, engaged in stimulating and education presentations and seminars, and accompanied the children on field trips to places such as the Ripley's Aquarium, farms, and African Lion Safari. The biggest difficulty I encountered during my time working as a counsellor was arbitrating and mediating conflicts that arose between the children. However, I was able to successfully work through it which has resulted in sharpening my skills associated with conflict-resolving.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible breaks
Cons
5 day work week for a month
great board, not as an ERW though
Educational Resource Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 March 2018
I worked as a supply Educational Resource Worker, which is what this board titles EAs. I had lots of supply work, but contract/LTO opportunities are very few and far in between. Lots of people leave because of the very few LTO opportunities and go work for other boards. I left because I was offered a job in what I went to school for, and that work pays a lot more.

In regards to the work itself, you are treated like a second class citizen. teachers leave you all alone with special needs students because they do not want to deal with them. they will also refuse to help or guide you when a difficult situation arises (mostly in elementary schools).

I prefered to work in the high school programs. all the staff there are so with it in regards to the needs and support of their students.
Pros
lots of supply work, high schools are great to work in
Cons
unsupportive, irresponsible colleages, not so great pay, few long term opportunities, unpaid lunches
Amazing instittution to work for.
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 February 2018
Very Greatfull for the blessing to have a very nice and good job,God Is Good ,its a Great Place to work for DPCDSB.....Looking forward to grow within the institution.
Pros
Blessed to work everyday, very blessed to have this job, amazing Benefits
Cons
No cons for me, so just have good Attitud be positive, smile and be Happy makes the difference.
Supportive work environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 February 2018
The DPCDSB is a great institution. They have an excellent reputation and the work environment was a supportive and positive one. I would recommend working for this organization.
Lunch Supervisor
Student Lunch Monitor (Part time) Orangeville (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON7 December 2017
Supervise 60 children during lunch hour then Yard duty for 40 min daily. Helping students during lunch time, getting them dressed for outdoor recess activity .
In classroom discipling
Pros
Working with Children
Cons
Small amount of time at position
Camp Leader
Camp leader - Unity Charity in partnership (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 October 2017
A day as a camp leader with Unity Charity would begin by helping gather children in the gym, then bring them into the cafeteria where the schedule of the day would be given. From there on out it was all about guiding and leading the kids from activity to activity making t=sure they have a fun time!
Pros
free lunches and paid breaks
Productive, fun and open workplace
Summer School Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 September 2017
A typical day was helping 2 summer school teacher throughout the day and those associated tasks. It was well managed and organized. I learned how to manage school children and stay organized. The school environment was very enjoyable and comfortable.
Terrible co workers habbits
Custodian (Former Employee) –  st basil mississauga9 September 2017
Not a good place to work pay is good if you are willing to take nonsense from others and being the scape goat when things are not right. Also turning a blind eye to work safety until you get cought.
Very fun place to work
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 July 2017
Very nice working environment with caring staff. Very supportive. My work is often appreciated.I look forward to going to work everyday.Very safe place to work
wonderful board to work for
Supply DECE & supply ERW (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 May 2017
wonderful staff
love working with students
high energy
learned alot
this is where I did my placement
close to home
work with kindergarten and school aged children
Pros
great pay
Cons
not enough hours
Stable and Supportive
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 April 2017
The Board was a great learning experience. Management and staff alike are welcoming and always willing to help with tasks and answer questions. Great opportunity for advancement as well.