Ducks Unlimited Canada Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Too much work for one person to manage if you want a life
Manager of Events & Volunteer Relations (Former Employee) –  lower mainland, vancouver island, central bc26 March 2018
Basically on call 24hrs a day. Working 20+ and your manager saying that you need to work more and harder. Calling people all hours of the day and night and emailing them as well. You are supposed to pick up all the pieces and start juggling 25 different items at once. Impossible for one person to do.
Pros
meet people
Cons
excessive hours, lack of direction/training
Flexible if you get the job done and correct
Controller (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB23 March 2018
Worked with all levels within the organization - felt good about myself working for one of the best not for profits conservation organizations in Canada as well as with sister organization in US. Great people working for the resource for our children's children to enjoy our habitat and wildlife.
Poor culture and management
Finance (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 March 2018
Head office is near Winnipeg and a terrible work environment. Employees are expected to work weekends and answer emails 24/7.
HR does not care about the employees or their well being. Employees are treated unfairly and dismissed based on personality.

CFO is unorganized, loves to gossip and extremely political. Little work is accomplished except for politics. Senior executives are ineffective and unprofessional.

This organization wastes money terribly.
Contractor
Biologist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 December 2017
I loved this job but the positon was cut in 2008 because of the economy. I worked as a contractor on properties all over Alberta. I had a ton of resources and the management was fantastic!!
Great work environment and dedicated staff
Waterfowling Heritage Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stonewall, MB20 December 2017
Ducks Unlimited Canada is a wonderful company to work for, staff are dedicated to wetland conservation and the overall culture is like a family. My position was quite diverse and I took on many different roles while working there.
Organizing fundraising events to support Ducks Unlimited
CONTRIBUTOR SERVICES FUND RAISING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2017
Working with volunteers in many communities in southern Alberta was fun but took too much time away from family. Had my young son ask my wife if he could get an "uncle" because I was away so much.
Pros
Worked with great volunteers
Cons
Too much time away from home
Great opportunity for learning as a new graduate
Conservation Technologist (Current Employee) –  The Pas, MB11 June 2017
Learned about maintenance and upkeep of equipment
Improved skills in trailering and load distribution
Advanced my pleasurecraft operator skills
Learned about the importance of wetlands and how to manage them for highest productivity
Great non-profit organization to work for
Assistant Regional Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2017
I was analyzing variance reports most of the time to create regional reports for the controller. The most interesting times were when I was asked to go audit the field offices.
Pros
Non-profit group with great goals
Cons
Low wages due to funding by donations and grants.
Learning Conducive Environment
GIS Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 February 2015
The company provided an opportunity for me to enhance my experience in doing scientific as well as applied research. They gave me enough room to grow, given the tasks to complete with less supervision. I have leaned to work independently and manage my time efficiently. Co-workers and my supervisor then, were very friendly and accommodating. The hardest part of the job is when my term for practicum has ended. I would have loved to stayed but there was no job opportunity at that time.
Rewarding, fun and challenging work environment.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 February 2014
Everyday was different due to the nature of the position. Responsible for inspection, operation, maintenance and report on the dams and water controls of wetland conservation projects.

Want to know more about Ducks Unlimited Canada?

Ask a question
Great culture and does great work!
National Sealed Bid Auction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stonewall, MB24 March 2013
I've just left Ducks for a new career. The main I reason I left was to find a position with higher wages. As a 'not for profit' Ducks does not command the best wages, especially for administrative staff.

Otherwise the culture and the organization itself are great, I will miss it. I am still an active volunteer and suporter.
Pros
culture
Cons
wages