Ducks Unlimited Canada

Ducks Unlimited Canada Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
I enjoyed working learning and advancements. People are excellent and caring.
Miss working there and would go backing given the opportunity

Learning new things, making new friends and moving up in the company is a great way to learn and advance in yourself
Company raises money to purchase wildlife habitat which is a process that is environmentaly healthy. Good work is you want to help environment and save animal habitat.
My time at Ducks Unlimited Canada was very enjoyable. I liked and respected the people I worked with and have nothing bad to say about the company in general.
Pros
great Cause and People
Cons
Was an ok place to work but the hourly wage as comparied to the number of hours work was very unfair. Increases in wages did not happen during my time there. Employees with same education level were treated differently and unfairly. A lot of time expected to work during summer months.
Pros
Travelling the country
Cons
Low wage
I learned multi-tasking, time management, organizing, efficiency, and sorting and filing.
People at Ducks Unlimited are very friendly, kind and helpful.
I would have loved to work here for the rest of my career, but I was only in a contract position that had already been extended for a year.

Working at Oak Hammock Marsh is beautiful and secluded. It is really more of a community than an employer.
Very negative environment. There is very little training and you are expected to just learn your job on your own with very little support. Upper management only supports "yes people" and you are seen as negative if you question any decisions. Overall, executive manage is very weak, unprofessional and seem only concerned with patting themselves on the back. Deadlines are very tight and expectations are not clearly laid out creating confusion and often requiring staff to re-do tasks a number of times. It is a very stressful environment where staff health and wellbeing is not considered. It is surprising how much politics there is for not-for profit.
Pros
Most people work there for the mission
Cons
Long hours and low pay
This is a workplace that's focused on getting things done. Everyone from receptionists to field staff to the CEO cares about their role in achieving DUC's conservation mission, and works collaboratively to get there.

DUC's managers are good at recognizing people's strengths, and encourage staff to build on their skills to reach professional goals. There's a priority placed on work/life balance, and in creating a positive environment.
Pros
Positive environment, collaborative team, professional development opportunities, dog-friendly offices
I only work one raffle a year.
Hardest part is the standing around and attempt to convince people to put money on certain items.

The bets part is when and item is sold and carry it around to those who bough tit.
Pros
The staff as well as the other raffle workers
Cons
To be honest I found no cons
Basically on call 24hrs a day. Working 20+ and your manager saying that you need to work more and harder. Calling people all hours of the day and night and emailing them as well. You are supposed to pick up all the pieces and start juggling 25 different items at once. Impossible for one person to do.
Pros
meet people
Cons
excessive hours, lack of direction/training
Worked with all levels within the organization - felt good about myself working for one of the best not for profits conservation organizations in Canada as well as with sister organization in US. Great people working for the resource for our children's children to enjoy our habitat and wildlife.
Head office is near Winnipeg and a terrible work environment. Employees are expected to work weekends and answer emails 24/7.
HR does not care about the employees or their well being. Employees are treated unfairly and dismissed based on personality.

CFO is unorganized, loves to gossip and extremely political. Little work is accomplished except for politics. Senior executives are ineffective and unprofessional.

This organization wastes money terribly.
I loved this job but the positon was cut in 2008 because of the economy. I worked as a contractor on properties all over Alberta. I had a ton of resources and the management was fantastic!!
Ducks Unlimited Canada is a wonderful company to work for, staff are dedicated to wetland conservation and the overall culture is like a family. My position was quite diverse and I took on many different roles while working there.
Working with volunteers in many communities in southern Alberta was fun but took too much time away from family. Had my young son ask my wife if he could get an "uncle" because I was away so much.
Pros
Worked with great volunteers
Cons
Too much time away from home
Learned about maintenance and upkeep of equipment
Improved skills in trailering and load distribution

Advanced my pleasurecraft operator skills

Learned about the importance of wetlands and how to manage them for highest productivity
I was analyzing variance reports most of the time to create regional reports for the controller. The most interesting times were when I was asked to go audit the field offices.
Pros
Non-profit group with great goals
Cons
Low wages due to funding by donations and grants.
The company provided an opportunity for me to enhance my experience in doing scientific as well as applied research. They gave me enough room to grow, given the tasks to complete with less supervision. I have leaned to work independently and manage my time efficiently. Co-workers and my supervisor then, were very friendly and accommodating. The hardest part of the job is when my term for practicum has ended. I would have loved to stayed but there was no job opportunity at that time.
Everyday was different due to the nature of the position. Responsible for inspection, operation, maintenance and report on the dams and water controls of wetland conservation projects.
I've just left Ducks for a new career. The main I reason I left was to find a position with higher wages. As a 'not for profit' Ducks does not command the best wages, especially for administrative staff.

Otherwise the culture and the organization itself are great, I will miss it. I am still an active volunteer and suporter.
Pros
culture
Cons
wages