Ducks Unlimited Canada Employee Reviews

Would only recommend for students
Conservation Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2018
Was an ok place to work but the hourly wage as comparied to the number of hours work was very unfair. Increases in wages did not happen during my time there. Employees with same education level were treated differently and unfairly. A lot of time expected to work during summer months.
Pros
Travelling the country
Cons
Low wage
Productive and fun workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Stony Mountain, MB1 August 2018
I learned multi-tasking, time management, organizing, efficiency, and sorting and filing.
People at Ducks Unlimited are very friendly, kind and helpful.
An excellent place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oak Hammock Marsh, MB18 June 2018
I would have loved to work here for the rest of my career, but I was only in a contract position that had already been extended for a year.

Working at Oak Hammock Marsh is beautiful and secluded. It is really more of a community than an employer.
Stressful environment and unrealistic expectations
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Stonewall, MB5 June 2018
Very negative environment. There is very little training and you are expected to just learn your job on your own with very little support. Upper management only supports "yes people" and you are seen as negative if you question any decisions. Overall, executive manage is very weak, unprofessional and seem only concerned with patting themselves on the back. Deadlines are very tight and expectations are not clearly laid out creating confusion and often requiring staff to re-do tasks a number of times. It is a very stressful environment where staff health and wellbeing is not considered. It is surprising how much politics there is for not-for profit.
Pros
Most people work there for the mission
Cons
Long hours and low pay
Dynamic team, making a real difference
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stonewall, MB24 May 2018
This is a workplace that's focused on getting things done. Everyone from receptionists to field staff to the CEO cares about their role in achieving DUC's conservation mission, and works collaboratively to get there.

DUC's managers are good at recognizing people's strengths, and encourage staff to build on their skills to reach professional goals. There's a priority placed on work/life balance, and in creating a positive environment.
Pros
Positive environment, collaborative team, professional development opportunities, dog-friendly offices
Kind, and friendly workers
Customer hostGreeter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2018
I only work one raffle a year.
Hardest part is the standing around and attempt to convince people to put money on certain items.
The bets part is when and item is sold and carry it around to those who bough tit.
Pros
The staff as well as the other raffle workers
Cons
To be honest I found no cons
Too much work for one person to manage if you want a life
Manager of Events & Volunteer Relations (Former Employee) –  lower mainland, vancouver island, central bc26 March 2018
Basically on call 24hrs a day. Working 20+ and your manager saying that you need to work more and harder. Calling people all hours of the day and night and emailing them as well. You are supposed to pick up all the pieces and start juggling 25 different items at once. Impossible for one person to do.
Pros
meet people
Cons
excessive hours, lack of direction/training
Flexible if you get the job done and correct
Controller (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB23 March 2018
Worked with all levels within the organization - felt good about myself working for one of the best not for profits conservation organizations in Canada as well as with sister organization in US. Great people working for the resource for our children's children to enjoy our habitat and wildlife.
Poor culture and management
Finance (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 March 2018
Head office is near Winnipeg and a terrible work environment. Employees are expected to work weekends and answer emails 24/7.
HR does not care about the employees or their well being. Employees are treated unfairly and dismissed based on personality.

CFO is unorganized, loves to gossip and extremely political. Little work is accomplished except for politics. Senior executives are ineffective and unprofessional.

This organization wastes money terribly.
Contractor
Biologist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 December 2017
I loved this job but the positon was cut in 2008 because of the economy. I worked as a contractor on properties all over Alberta. I had a ton of resources and the management was fantastic!!
Great work environment and dedicated staff
Waterfowling Heritage Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stonewall, MB20 December 2017
Ducks Unlimited Canada is a wonderful company to work for, staff are dedicated to wetland conservation and the overall culture is like a family. My position was quite diverse and I took on many different roles while working there.
Organizing fundraising events to support Ducks Unlimited
CONTRIBUTOR SERVICES FUND RAISING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2017
Working with volunteers in many communities in southern Alberta was fun but took too much time away from family. Had my young son ask my wife if he could get an "uncle" because I was away so much.
Pros
Worked with great volunteers
Cons
Too much time away from home
Great opportunity for learning as a new graduate
Conservation Technologist (Current Employee) –  The Pas, MB11 June 2017
Learned about maintenance and upkeep of equipment
Improved skills in trailering and load distribution
Advanced my pleasurecraft operator skills
Learned about the importance of wetlands and how to manage them for highest productivity
Great non-profit organization to work for
Assistant Regional Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2017
I was analyzing variance reports most of the time to create regional reports for the controller. The most interesting times were when I was asked to go audit the field offices.
Pros
Non-profit group with great goals
Cons
Low wages due to funding by donations and grants.
Learning Conducive Environment
GIS Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 February 2015
The company provided an opportunity for me to enhance my experience in doing scientific as well as applied research. They gave me enough room to grow, given the tasks to complete with less supervision. I have leaned to work independently and manage my time efficiently. Co-workers and my supervisor then, were very friendly and accommodating. The hardest part of the job is when my term for practicum has ended. I would have loved to stayed but there was no job opportunity at that time.
Rewarding, fun and challenging work environment.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 February 2014
Everyday was different due to the nature of the position. Responsible for inspection, operation, maintenance and report on the dams and water controls of wetland conservation projects.
Great culture and does great work!
National Sealed Bid Auction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stonewall, MB24 March 2013
I've just left Ducks for a new career. The main I reason I left was to find a position with higher wages. As a 'not for profit' Ducks does not command the best wages, especially for administrative staff.

Otherwise the culture and the organization itself are great, I will miss it. I am still an active volunteer and suporter.
Pros
culture
Cons
wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ducks Unlimited Canada. Our community is ready to answer.