DSL Ltd. Employee Review

Great coffee, lots of laughs, slightly old fashioned.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Office life at DSL is characterized by the great coffee served up by the automatic espresso machine, laughter shared by co-workers, and some older style policies and procedures. A lot of the office work is manual entry or review of data, but new systems mean more and more automation will be implemented as time goes on.

The company isn't large enough for most positions to have a set career path, but it is small enough for people to make their own paths as opportunities come up. The managers spend more time on e-mail than is healthy, and as such organizational change is slow. We have recently implemented new technologies, and slowly we are adopting new methods and approaches.

The finance department is an excellent team, with a good blend of people from different backgrounds. The management group in this department is strong and is capable of setting goals and making the changes that they commit to. Finance team members are encouraged to further their education and the company is willing to financially support employees pursuing designations or degrees. The Controller is approachable, knowledgeable, and willing to help people learn.

During my time I've learned a lot about industry accounting, office communication, and presentations. My typical work day has a healthy amount of laughter, a good amount of interesting work, and probably too much time spent on e-mails and in meetings. The hardest part of the job can be balancing the demands of different people in the office while accomplishing my own goals. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I can make a
  more... difference in the company every day and that I have the opportunity to continue to learn new skills and take on new challenges.

My experience with DSL has been great, I've learned a lot, grown as a professional, and enjoyed some great coffee. The finance department is a great team and can be a great place to work.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Old fashioned policies

Other DSL Ltd. Employee Reviews

Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2019
I worked there for two year and a lot has changed over that time. It’s a good place to work with lots of hour if you want them with overtime after 8 hrs. Company Trucks are new and good to drive and it mostly indoor work which is great in the winter. Lot of infield training if you know how to ask for it and are will to work and try. Over all I would recommend to give this place a try.
Pros
Free slush and ice cream, company truck, indoor work, good training
Cons
Fast passed, lot of travel
Technicians beware!
Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2019
Get ready to suck up to everyone in the office. Otherwise you're not getting work or support. They undervalue good technicians while overvalued line towers are glorified.

If you're the kind of technician who fixes soldered electrical connections with tape, or have no problem bypassing safety interlock devices for the sake of keeping your job, then this is the place for you. Tow that line and you'll be fine.....unless you're needed as a sacrificial goat.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Everything else.
Official response from DSL Ltd.
21 May 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review DSL. We are an organization that takes pride in its supporting and caring for our technicians. DSL’s technicians are not only provided the opportunity to go to school and apprentice with DSL, they are also guided on pathways to learn new skills. It is unfortunate that you felt unsupported. We conduct several company culture surveys a year to gauge employee satisfaction and to give them an opportunity to express their opinions and ideas for improvement at DSL. We take these surveys seriously and use them as a guide to help make DSL a better place to work.
We aim to constantly recognize and provide room for growth at DSL to ensure technicians always feel valued and appreciated. We are proud of the fact that we are a privately-owned family business and our best practices for hiring or promotion are always based on the best candidate available. In addition to putting many technicians through apprenticeship programs, we have also promoted a team of quality leads in the field, as well as having promoted several recent Service Managers from roles as technicians in the field
At DSL Safety comes first, we ensure this by providing free safety training for all our technicians. Health and safety are a main priority that is constantly assessed and evaluated through spot checks and checklists that are required of technicians and management. We have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to not following health and safety requirements. Please contact us with accurate examples of these dangerous activity’s so that we can be made aware of what may happen  more... and take the necessary corrective action.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSL Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.