DSL Ltd. Employee Reviews

Great Culture
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC21 March 2018
Great culture focused company! DSL's core values focus on everything from the customer to its staff. Is a great place to work with some pretty good perks. On any given day there could be a slush or ice cream machine running in the office and there is always great coffee! Have been here many years and look forward to many more to come!
Pros
Fun place to work, great people, great culture
Cons
Gets very busy, but is expected in this industry
Free Ice Cream
Sales (Current Employee) –  Edmonton9 March 2018
Under the new President, things have vastly improved. The current Pres is the most qualified guy for the position as he has had experience in almost every position within the company and he is implementing great changes.
Outside of management, the company is a fun place to work. The people are amazing and there is free slush, ice cream, and coffee regularly.
It does get hectic during the summer but that is to be expected in this industry. Ultimately, DSL strives to best serve its customers.
Pros
Free ice cream/ slush, fun people, cool products
Cons
Hectic summers
Nepotism Central
Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2018
This company has the potential to be great again but not with current management.

Disorganization and lack of communication are rampant in the management team who advance family members over qualified staff. Serious offences by family are repeatedly over-looked (i.e. drinking and driving, harassment, verbal abuse of fellow staff etc.)

Staff have increasing demands placed on them but are refused the resources to complete these tasks.
Pros
Good people to work with on the ground level
Cons
Nepotism, pay (particularly for women), sexist management, lack of communication
Official response from DSL Ltd.
4 April 2018

We are sorry you feel that way about our current management here at DSL.
As you know, being a former employee, our current management team has undergone lots of changes in the last year, all for the betterment in putting the right person in the right seat. At our leadership level we have four people who are directly related to either of the owners which means 87% of the leaders and supervisors in our business are not family.
We conduct several company culture surveys a year to gauge employee satisfaction and to give them an opportunity to express their opinions and ideas for improvement at DSL. None of which your opinions have ever been expressed or reported to HR for that matter. We take these surveys seriously and use them as a guide to help make DSL a better place to work.
Regarding your very serious accusations against our management team, we would never accept these offences by anyone in the company. We give the autonomy to each of our employees to bring up any serious offense and we deal with those matters in the upmost professional way. We have a zero tolerance policy for all of the offenses named and under no circumstances is this okay in our organization, please contact us with any real examples of these offences so that we can be made aware of what happened and take the necessary corrective action.

Great Place to Work
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC12 July 2017
This is a great place to work. Flexibility to work longer hours if you want to make some extra OT. They have a banked hour program so that you still maintain a steady paycheck during slower times. Good team environment where your fellow coworkers help you out. Customers are generally pretty grateful when you help them out.
Pros
work with great people, really fun place
Cons
can be longer hours in busier periods
Dont waste your time here. If your already a journeyman its a step backwards in your career.
Refrigeration Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2017
Bad place to work don't waste your time here
Management treats you like garbage.
Office staff get treated well.
All I learned here was if your not related to the CEO or someone high up then you will always just be a worker.
Pros
Work vehicle so you can go out of town for days and days.
Cons
Too many to list
Twrrible place to work
Customer Service Representative / Parts (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 April 2017
Not a good place to work. Management is constantly changing. Four service mangers I a year. Company does not have proper documentation on police's ie how quartly bonus payments work. No room for over time. Any overtime is not paid out but banked till the slow seasons. Job security nonexistent while employed for about a year and half I saw 40 plus people let go. Mostly to that person's surprise and to the surprise of coworkers. Supervisors never know the answer to you questions and concerns, due to the change in staff all the time it feels that you have to teach you supervisor their job. Who is paid more the you. No room for advancement. Ask all the non supervisors position people there and most people have a fear of being the next person to be let go. All in all they do not put their employees 1st. Their customers are always 1st to the point where the employee suffers from this. Also if you are a person or morals, you have to tell half truths to customers on a daily basis. After a year and a half I took one thing away from DSL. They only concern is their books at end of month and nothing else. There is absolutely nothing positive to say about this company and if you are looking to be their customer of their products and services look else where. Their markup on price and what they charge is insanely high.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Everythibg else
Productive workplace
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2017
Really learned a lot through this job and was given many opportunities to try new things and be mentored in many different positions. Taking time off was easy and you were always provided with the opportunity to make up lost hours if you'd like.
Great Work Place
Finance (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2016
DSL Ltd has been a great experience working for them. Great atmosphere. Very professional all around. The employees are all great to work with.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Hard Workers
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
DSL is a company that rewards hard work and hard effort. Being a reactive service company can sometimes require overtime but it is always paid well and is fair.
Worklife balance can be difficult if you are not used to a tech or technical support lifestyle.
The people at DSL really care for the company and are very friendly, but tend to be quite busy.
Pros
Great people. Not effected by local economy
Cons
Long hours during busy times
Great coffee, lots of laughs, slightly old fashioned.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Office life at DSL is characterized by the great coffee served up by the automatic espresso machine, laughter shared by co-workers, and some older style policies and procedures. A lot of the office work is manual entry or review of data, but new systems mean more and more automation will be implemented as time goes on.

The company isn't large enough for most positions to have a set career path, but it is small enough for people to make their own paths as opportunities come up. The managers spend more time on e-mail than is healthy, and as such organizational change is slow. We have recently implemented new technologies, and slowly we are adopting new methods and approaches.

The finance department is an excellent team, with a good blend of people from different backgrounds. The management group in this department is strong and is capable of setting goals and making the changes that they commit to. Finance team members are encouraged to further their education and the company is willing to financially support employees pursuing designations or degrees. The Controller is approachable, knowledgeable, and willing to help people learn.

During my time I've learned a lot about industry accounting, office communication, and presentations. My typical work day has a healthy amount of laughter, a good amount of interesting work, and probably too much time spent on e-mails and in meetings. The hardest part of the job can be balancing the demands of different people in the office while accomplishing my own goals. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I can make a
  more... difference in the company every day and that I have the opportunity to continue to learn new skills and take on new challenges.

My experience with DSL has been great, I've learned a lot, grown as a professional, and enjoyed some great coffee. The finance department is a great team and can be a great place to work.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Old fashioned policies
Not very good
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2016
Long hours during summer, no over time paid. All time is banked for winter when it's slow. Different pay scale for appliance techs versus refrigeration techs .Even though you work on the same Equipment. They will not sign you up for the Refrigeration apprenticeship. So at least you could with time get paid they same.
Pros
Working inside most of the time
Cons
long Summer hours, on call a lot, over time not paid
not great
refrigeration tech (Former Employee) –  winnipeg20 August 2014
long hours, they expect you to have none of your own free time
Pros
Cons
a lot