DOWNTOWN WINNIPEG BIZ

DOWNTOWN WINNIPEG BIZ Employee Reviews

Downtown Winnipeg BIZ is one of the largest BIZs in the country. They work hard to serve the diverse needs of those who live, work, and play in Downtown Winnipeg. I worked on summer research projects and got good experience bouncing ideas off my manager and coworkers. Some days I'd be calling folks in other regions to learn from their expertise as solving problems and other days I'd be planting flowers in our city planters. Great dynamic place to work.
Very dangerous, director of operations swears and calls employees "little bi*** when they cannot go outside due to poor conditions, will lie to everything and everybody to stay out of trouble. Over 60+ human rights and Labour board complaints filed in 2020. Chances of death are very high. 100% chance of being assaulted.
Cons
At first it semed good , then you get to know the people who work with you there on a daly basis, lots of teem rivalry between everyone , toxic environment , crime and drug abuse with workers . The good thing was that the company supplys all the proper work clothing and accessories.
An average day would consist of blasting feaces vomit and urine off of every street and backlane imaginable for between $12-$14hour (absolutely disgusting) while only getting 35 hour work weeks all while navigating the bums who constantly are attacking employees in which the company can’t protect
The job it’s self is great, interacting with everyone downtown and dealing with high stressed calls. Unfortunately the Biz lacks management and leadership and will only promote you if you don’t voice your opinion. The Watch program had 1 supervisor and 3 team leads but with a huge number of employees quitting at has taken the Watch over 4 months just to fill the team leads spot, that being said the hiring process is very slow.
The Downtown BIZ does good work in the downtown community by working to make it a better and safer place for the people who live, work, and venture into the area. A typical day at work includes getting task orders from the supervisor and completing those, and doing other odd jobs. The staff are well treated. The hardest part of the job is working outdoors on cold winter days. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to my co-workers. I often hear people thanking us for our work or complementing our work.
Pros
Quality time with my co-workers
Cons
Low pay
Patrol the streets of downtown, interact with various people and businesses on the daily basis. Able to learn customer service skills, use problem solving enable to adapt in different situations when necessary. Co-workers where fun to be with and career driven that help me to push towards education and finding a well suited career. The enjoyable part of the job was meeting people and interacting with them to help them with their needs and concerns about the downtown environment.
Great environment to work in and a very good education experience, alwways learning new things and able to use what I had learnt in school.
Pros
Free lunches and food
Cons
No cons
As a downtown watch volunteer is kind a stressful job because i have to walk around downtown. I have to look intoxicated person,an aggressive pandhandler, a person who are sleeping in the street. I have to help people who are missing and giving a description to supervisor and all staff. I also give people direction in downtown area for their safety. My co-worker are also good, they're friendly. They're all staff and I'm a volunteer.The hardest part of the job is handling an intoxicated person because they're aggressive and they're not in right mind. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people around downtown and giving direction.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours with over-time