Douglas College

Douglas College Employee Reviews

Great place to work.

Fast pace work environment but staff and management are great. Work site is far from downtown Vancouver. Clients sometimes cannot travel to the office location because the bus runs every hour.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Worksite to far from downtown Vancouver

That was my best work environment so far.

The training group was emazing. They are very supportive of new employees. They will do everything they can to help you learn new position. I loved working there. The only reason I left os relocation. Otherwise I would still work there.

Awesome Workplace to work at

Productive and a lovely workplace where you can work in relaxed atmosphere and flourish professionally. Moreover, management and the fellow teachers are awesome to work with.

Supportive and friendly workplace

- You can have lots of good training and workshops while working there. - Very supportive colleagues and manager. - Having access to a good library and lots of resources.

Volunteer

I was a volunteer at Douglas college. I worked with new students and as a teacher assistant. It was a really good experience working and studying at douglas.

Terrible “old boys” culture

Working here was like time traveling to 1952. They talk a big game about respect and a collegial workplace, but in action they are clinging to oppressive and largely offensive practices. Sexism, disability-shaming, and bullying of those who speak out are rampant in many departments. I’ve seen managers outright lie to keep complainants quiet. It’s disgusting, and it’s 100% why they can’t keep skilled staff. To top things off, they have the lowest salary of comparable colleges in the province, and their technology is sadly lacking. It took the pandemic to get them to allow any offsite access to employees.

Amazing job for students

The managers were so considerate of my schedule. Constantly checking in to make sure my mental and physical health were okay, that I had enough time to study, etc. I can't speak on working there as a non-student, but I had a wonderful experience in a very healthy work environment. Learned a lot about admin duties and what it's like to work in a college environment!

A great place to Work

Douglas college has wonderful culture. Good work life balance and a wonderful Group of people. Friendly , helpful and Cooperative. Management is sympathetic and gracious.

College Student

Good for college students as they can work along with their studies in their specific field.You will gain experience and learn new things which will help in you in future.

Great place to teach

I taught at Douglas College's main campus for two years and enjoyed the atmosphere and my colleagues. They had just instituted a brand new curriculum so we were crazy busy for the first year developing courses from scratch, but I worked with a great team, which made all the stress much more bearable. The salary and benefits were good as well. Too bad I got laid off due to low enrollment - just after passing my probation as well!

pretty good

if you're a student studying at Douglas and looking to make some money on the side its a great job. especially if you live close to campus, the hours are minimal but its worth having the extra cash

I love working here.

Awesome working atmosphere and great people to work with. Opportunity for advancement and work hours is great, too. I strongly recommend this company. Best regards!

Flexible

Amazing work environment for students. I've been able to balance my studies and work duties with flexible hours and understanding supervisors. Would definitely recommend to students who need jobs.

Productive and fun to work with

Usually, the volunteer starts at 9:30, but I have to be there at 8:30 to set up the place. My colleagues are very friendly and they are willing to help new people like me to adapt to the environment. The hardest part of the job is to show students places at school since I am not really familiar with all the rooms on the campus yet. Still, my teammates support me a lot. The most enjoyable part of this is that I get to know a lot of people, talking to them in English does help me improve my English skill a lot. I can also learn about many diverse cultures, too.

A wonderful place to work

At the International Office, the people are the best and the work environment is awesome. Unfortunately, there are no standard procedures and you must figure out how to do it.

Educational and Prepared

Douglas has equip me with more than just theory and skills for the workforce: it has given me confidence, connections and a lot of experience outside if the classroom. I have had the opportunity to work in the fast-paced atmosphere of Music Festivals as part of the medical team. I have worked in acute and tertiary settings for both medical and psychiatry. I feel that the best part of this education so far was the opportunities to try and master new skills.

Learning while you assist

It was part time job, around 9 hours a week. The subjects which I have studied at school, it was lab assistant job in those subjects. Assisting students while they are in lecture, so that if a student has missed or didn't get something, that student won't get lost. Brilliant way to sharpen skills.

Great workplace

Great place to work, fun and respectable co-workers. Good work-life balance. Loved working there! Management gives lots of advancement opportunities. Very dynamic environment.

Excellent

Everything was really great. Staff were nice and kind. Good working environment. It was my best opportunity to learn about international education service.

Quality service by overworked staff

I've always heard critical things about working under the Training Group and some of them were true. People LOVE what they DO (see the Douglas College motto I put there?) but the staff are overworked, micro-managed and seems highly competitive, especially those who are at management level. You know what - not everyone wants to be in management because some staff love working with clients more. However, teamwork, trust and relationship building need to actually work together to have a good and positive working environment. Clients sense and observe those things. I expected working for a college that they would have these fundamental principles when it comes to creating a healthy team - I was sorely disappointed. It makes me question whether I should stay here for the long haul. My tip for management - read The 5 Languages of Workplace Appreciation. This will change your staff and team for the better. Since you're an educational institution that inspires learning, I highly recommend you all read it. DO inspire PLEASE.

Pros

Good salary to start with, benefits, pension is awesome, team/colleagues

Cons

Long hours, little to no work-life balance, little to no appreciation, management staff don't care about you

great

learning learning process, but not something i want to do, only reason i was attending douglas college was because i was discovering and figuring out what i wanted to do with my life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Douglas College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4