Douglas College Employee Reviews

Great workplace
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC14 January 2019
Great place to work, fun and respectable co-workers. Good work-life balance. Loved working there!
Management gives lots of advancement opportunities. Very dynamic environment.
Quality service by overworked staff
Training Group staff (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC1 December 2018
I've always heard critical things about working under the Training Group and some of them were true. People LOVE what they DO (see the Douglas College motto I put there?) but the staff are overworked, micro-managed and seems highly competitive, especially those who are at management level. You know what - not everyone wants to be in management because some staff love working with clients more. However, teamwork, trust and relationship building need to actually work together to have a good and positive working environment. Clients sense and observe those things. I expected working for a college that they would have these fundamental principles when it comes to creating a healthy team - I was sorely disappointed. It makes me question whether I should stay here for the long haul. My tip for management - read The 5 Languages of Workplace Appreciation. This will change your staff and team for the better. Since you're an educational institution that inspires learning, I highly recommend you all read it. DO inspire PLEASE.
Pros
Good salary to start with, benefits, pension is awesome, team/colleagues
Cons
Long hours, little to no work-life balance, little to no appreciation, management staff don't care about you
great
First Year Student (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC21 November 2018
learning learning process, but not something i want to do, only reason i was attending douglas college was because i was discovering and figuring out what i wanted to do with my life.
Easy
Student Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC4 November 2018
Pretty easy work as a Lab Assistant. Can get monotonous, but it's fun to impart the little bit of knowledge you've gained to new students. Would probably apply for the same job again.
fun with Computers
Staff Contributor (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC3 September 2018
I love Douglas College. It is a fun and exciting place. The people are all so nice, friendly and conversational. The computers are magnificent. It is so much fun
Great place for a student to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC12 July 2018
I work as a research assistant and it is a great job for anyone who is in school. I love the people, and the school is the best one out there. Management is amazing, I would only change the salary.
A great opportunity for students
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC11 June 2018
Douglas college offers a variety of student services and as such they offer several jobs under the student assistant position. This is fantastic for students who are looking to gain experience in the academic field.
Awesome
Badminton Coach (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC21 May 2018
Really a fun while Playing badminton.
awesome, It`s a fun as driving passion and enhancing with sharing of knowledge is the biggest thing we can do.
It creates an opportunity for future goals.
Hardest part is when no ones listen
Enjoyable part is the teaching
Pros
everything is good
Cons
Nothing is bad
Great place to work with the students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC30 April 2018
I really enjoyed working with the students. The ability to be flexible with my desired hours for tutoring was an asset. I would recommend Douglas College for anyone interested or passionate in assisting one's ability to learn.
excellent
Women's Liaison (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC27 April 2018
Douglas college, was a great experience both academically and in the work place. if people can get this chance, take it. it teaches you a lot of fundamentals for everyday life.

Want to know more about Douglas College?

Ask a question
Fun workplace
Spring break Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC25 April 2018
Working with a group of 28 kids ranging in different age groups had its own challenges but it was a great experience being able to run activities with them in the gym and in the computer lab.

I instructed (with 2 other students) the sports and computers camp so we got to work in the computer lab teaching the kids how to use Word and Powerpoint. We also got to work on our typing skills, and learn a bit of introductory coding for website design. Then we would have some down time in the gym or we would go outside and play kick ball or run some basketball games so all the kids can be included and get some physical activity.

Management is really trusting in their instructors to come up and run different activities so that made it a lot of fun for us from different sport backgrounds to pool our ideas together to come up with some really fun games.
Pros
gain experience
Cons
far from home
Very interesting!
Student (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC10 April 2018
I have been cleaning the shelf, preparing the shelf, stocking the shelf and facing the shelf which is very fun to do it and I love it so much.

OOH, also, I like to social with other workers at Buy Low Foods which is very fun.
Pros
Social with other workers
Cons
Rude Boss
Fantastic place to learn
Practicum Student- Banting Middle School (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC29 March 2018
So far my experience at Douglas has been very rewarding. Most of the professors are amazing and if you really want to learn you will. Being at Douglas has changed the way I see the world
relaxed environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC12 March 2018
made sure the lab was well kept. Was not a stressful environment to work in. co-worker and manager were nice and very helpful. overall interesting and fun.
Productive and fun workplace
Welcome Centre Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC5 December 2017
Here I was responsible for answering visitor and student questions and directing them to their destination and maintained a detailed log of activities
Fun
Computer Lab Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC14 June 2017
Best experience I have ever had. It was so much fun teaching and learning how to teach. I met a lot of really influential people along the way and got to build my own network.
Satisfactory
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC9 July 2016
Satisfactory, Flexible, Accommodating. Susbstantial. Good place to hone skills. Good environment for career growth.
Pros
Time flexibility.
Cons
Less workload.
WEB UX DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC27 May 2016
Good place to work, though salaries are well below market for lots of positions due to union environment. Lots of good, kind people, lots of seatwarmers too.
Good starting point for post-secondary career path
Employee Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 April 2016
Douglas College may not have the highest salaries or best benefits package in the sector for the region, but there's an overall sense of community that you won't find many other places.
safe job with flexible atmosphere
Senior Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC11 April 2016
safe job with flexible atmosphere
broader area to try in term of technology
very limited possibility for career development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Douglas College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4