Douglas College

Douglas College Employee Reviews

Canada62 reviews

Good opportunity to build experience in a supportive environment

Typically you do your work on your own and will meet in a small group/team occasionally to touch base on projects (unless an event is happening that day). Management is flexible and understanding of student life and also tries to cater the work you do to the skills you want to develop.

Best Employer Job ever!!!

I do not have enough Characters to rave about this place. Everyone is approachable and relaxed. If you are lucky to get a job there, you will not r sorry

Pros

everything

Cons

nothing

Great place

Fun and collaborative place to work at!! Met lots of new people who were all very nice and gained a lot of work experience skills. Most of the job is planning and hosting events

Laid off during the pandemic but would love to go back.

It was a very good work atmosphere. The management was fair, helpful, and accommodating. The employees are friendly and most are happy working there.

Pros

working independently

Cons

not enough work for full time

Great people and teammates to work with - collaborative, supportive and open to share info, resources and tips with each other.

Worked in a high functioning team with trust and support among colleagues and the supervisor. Required a good knowledge of using pc/mobile/online technology. The greatest satisfaction came from the success of the clients. Some might not have achieved the ultimate goals but you could still see the improvements and how they overcame the challenges along the way.

Pros

Trust and autonomy; plenty of learning opportunities (including self-initiated ones)

Cons

Long hours sitting in front the computer

Super fun way to take an active role in your college experience

Worked at Douglas for a year now. I feel like my ideas are truly heard and like I really make a difference in my role. I get to help new students adapt to college life through campus tours and orientation events. Management in Student Life is lovely and will go out of their way to help you if you need it. One of my managers left recently and we still text occasionally as friends to check in. It's a varied role of answering emails, leading tours, running games/activity nights on zoom and in-person, and creating new ideas for getting students involved on campus. The variety helps keep things interesting.

Pros

Great management, ideas are listened to

Cons

Not many hours in the fall/winter months for this position (known from hiring), but tons of hours in the summer for campus tours and other orientation events for new students

Great place to work.

Fast pace work environment but staff and management are great. Work site is far from downtown Vancouver. Clients sometimes cannot travel to the office location because the bus runs every hour.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Worksite to far from downtown Vancouver

That was my best work environment so far.

The training group was emazing. They are very supportive of new employees. They will do everything they can to help you learn new position. I loved working there. The only reason I left os relocation. Otherwise I would still work there.

Awesome Workplace to work at

Productive and a lovely workplace where you can work in relaxed atmosphere and flourish professionally. Moreover, management and the fellow teachers are awesome to work with.

Supportive and friendly workplace

- You can have lots of good training and workshops while working there. - Very supportive colleagues and manager. - Having access to a good library and lots of resources.

Volunteer

I was a volunteer at Douglas college. I worked with new students and as a teacher assistant. It was a really good experience working and studying at douglas.

Terrible “old boys” culture

Working here was like time traveling to 1952. They talk a big game about respect and a collegial workplace, but in action they are clinging to oppressive and largely offensive practices. Sexism, disability-shaming, and bullying of those who speak out are rampant in many departments. I’ve seen managers outright lie to keep complainants quiet. It’s disgusting, and it’s 100% why they can’t keep skilled staff. To top things off, they have the lowest salary of comparable colleges in the province, and their technology is sadly lacking. It took the pandemic to get them to allow any offsite access to employees.

Amazing job for students

The managers were so considerate of my schedule. Constantly checking in to make sure my mental and physical health were okay, that I had enough time to study, etc. I can't speak on working there as a non-student, but I had a wonderful experience in a very healthy work environment. Learned a lot about admin duties and what it's like to work in a college environment!

A great place to Work

Douglas college has wonderful culture. Good work life balance and a wonderful Group of people. Friendly , helpful and Cooperative. Management is sympathetic and gracious.

College Student

Good for college students as they can work along with their studies in their specific field.You will gain experience and learn new things which will help in you in future.

Great place to teach

I taught at Douglas College's main campus for two years and enjoyed the atmosphere and my colleagues. They had just instituted a brand new curriculum so we were crazy busy for the first year developing courses from scratch, but I worked with a great team, which made all the stress much more bearable. The salary and benefits were good as well. Too bad I got laid off due to low enrollment - just after passing my probation as well!

pretty good

if you're a student studying at Douglas and looking to make some money on the side its a great job. especially if you live close to campus, the hours are minimal but its worth having the extra cash

I love working here.

Awesome working atmosphere and great people to work with. Opportunity for advancement and work hours is great, too. I strongly recommend this company. Best regards!

Flexible

Amazing work environment for students. I've been able to balance my studies and work duties with flexible hours and understanding supervisors. Would definitely recommend to students who need jobs.

Productive and fun to work with

Usually, the volunteer starts at 9:30, but I have to be there at 8:30 to set up the place. My colleagues are very friendly and they are willing to help new people like me to adapt to the environment. The hardest part of the job is to show students places at school since I am not really familiar with all the rooms on the campus yet. Still, my teammates support me a lot. The most enjoyable part of this is that I get to know a lot of people, talking to them in English does help me improve my English skill a lot. I can also learn about many diverse cultures, too.

A wonderful place to work

At the International Office, the people are the best and the work environment is awesome. Unfortunately, there are no standard procedures and you must figure out how to do it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Douglas College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement