Douglas College Employee Reviews

Awesome
Badminton Coach (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC21 May 2018
Really a fun while Playing badminton.
awesome, It`s a fun as driving passion and enhancing with sharing of knowledge is the biggest thing we can do.
It creates an opportunity for future goals.
Hardest part is when no ones listen
Enjoyable part is the teaching
Pros
everything is good
Cons
Nothing is bad
Great place to work with the students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC30 April 2018
I really enjoyed working with the students. The ability to be flexible with my desired hours for tutoring was an asset. I would recommend Douglas College for anyone interested or passionate in assisting one's ability to learn.
excellent
Women's Liaison (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC27 April 2018
Douglas college, was a great experience both academically and in the work place. if people can get this chance, take it. it teaches you a lot of fundamentals for everyday life.
Fun workplace
Spring break Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC25 April 2018
Working with a group of 28 kids ranging in different age groups had its own challenges but it was a great experience being able to run activities with them in the gym and in the computer lab.

I instructed (with 2 other students) the sports and computers camp so we got to work in the computer lab teaching the kids how to use Word and Powerpoint. We also got to work on our typing skills, and learn a bit of introductory coding for website design. Then we would have some down time in the gym or we would go outside and play kick ball or run some basketball games so all the kids can be included and get some physical activity.

Management is really trusting in their instructors to come up and run different activities so that made it a lot of fun for us from different sport backgrounds to pool our ideas together to come up with some really fun games.
Pros
gain experience
Cons
far from home
Very interesting!
Student (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC10 April 2018
I have been cleaning the shelf, preparing the shelf, stocking the shelf and facing the shelf which is very fun to do it and I love it so much.

OOH, also, I like to social with other workers at Buy Low Foods which is very fun.
Pros
Social with other workers
Cons
Rude Boss
Fantastic place to learn
Practicum Student- Banting Middle School (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC29 March 2018
So far my experience at Douglas has been very rewarding. Most of the professors are amazing and if you really want to learn you will. Being at Douglas has changed the way I see the world
relaxed environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC12 March 2018
made sure the lab was well kept. Was not a stressful environment to work in. co-worker and manager were nice and very helpful. overall interesting and fun.
Productive and fun workplace
Welcome Centre Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC5 December 2017
Here I was responsible for answering visitor and student questions and directing them to their destination and maintained a detailed log of activities
Fun
Computer Lab Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC14 June 2017
Best experience I have ever had. It was so much fun teaching and learning how to teach. I met a lot of really influential people along the way and got to build my own network.
Satisfactory
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC9 July 2016
Satisfactory, Flexible, Accommodating. Susbstantial. Good place to hone skills. Good environment for career growth.
Pros
Time flexibility.
Cons
Less workload.
WEB UX DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC27 May 2016
Good place to work, though salaries are well below market for lots of positions due to union environment. Lots of good, kind people, lots of seatwarmers too.
Good starting point for post-secondary career path
Employee Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 April 2016
Douglas College may not have the highest salaries or best benefits package in the sector for the region, but there's an overall sense of community that you won't find many other places.
safe job with flexible atmosphere
Senior Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC11 April 2016
safe job with flexible atmosphere
broader area to try in term of technology
very limited possibility for career development
Reasonable hours, co-workers are easy to work with
Student Actor (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC19 February 2016
Met with the people I was to work with after a debriefing on what we were to do, and we went from there. My co-workers were friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers, To the point instructions
Cons
Not many job oppurtunities
Excellent oppurtunity for current students to network with their professors
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC16 January 2016
Working as a Student assistant for 4 semesters, was an amazing experience. The staff at Douglas are kind and encouraging to not only their students, but their TA's as well.

The only flaw is that you work varying hours, so you can either get a lot of work 10+ hour/week out of a max of 20, or very little
(around 4).

If I had to give an opinion, the most difficult part of the job, would be tending to issues that are very uncommon, and may not have anything to do with the course itself,

for example a student's computer experiencing technical problems related to the way the school has it set up is not within your control.
Pros
Great opportunity, for networking with staff and potential references for employment
Cons
Hours vary, don't think promotions are possible.
Fun worlkplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC1 November 2015
Great working environment with great colleagues and a supporting staff. Helps improving personal skills through the different tasks that staff members are asked to do.
Provides excellent good worklife balance
Faculty Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam17 August 2015
Colleagues and co workers are great .
Administratively there is no formal orientation program for new faculty or mentorship. Most faculty work in isolation.

There is inconsistent messaging from management at times regarding what can and can't be done by faculty members. Some staff allowed to take vacation outside of summer time ( during a semester while others are not )

Non transparency of work assignments for faculty / seniority lists not posted

Health Sciences dept lacking in policy / procedures and protocols much of which you need to search through Dept meeting minutes to find.
Opportunity to learn and grow
Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC25 May 2015
I was able to lean my craft and further grow my skills. I was given the opportunity to experiment and was also permitted the time to complete tasks. Its laid back but not in the careless sense... if you are working on your task then you are left alone to complete it.
typical day at work
Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  New westminster, B.C19 June 2014
Work with teachers in class, helped students solving different kinds of questions based on Words, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
Also, Checked homework and in-class exercises in detail and helped correcting errors.
This job strengthened my communication skill
fun place with visits and tour with the other employees
Peer Tutor _ computer Skills (Current Employee) –  Westminister, MD13 June 2014
The hardest part of the job is to make student satisfied about the services that are offered in douglas
Pros
Free printing and all other facalities
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Douglas College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3