Dot Transportation Employee Reviews

all about our customers
delivery specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, IL15 November 2018
overall a great job.Had very nice epiupment. it was stressful though. sitting in a truck for a few days and actually breaking down product on docks for customers to check in .Great pay, awesome benefits,and late model equipment. only downfall was unloading the truck. also being away from home was a downfall. i srewed up and lost my drivers license or would probably still work there. no job is perfect but i thought they paid us well.
Very supportative team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mt. Sterling, IL10 October 2018
Managers were encouraging and drivers were fun to work with. Benefits were good and I enjoyed my daily work. The thing I enjoyed least was the competitive nature of the managers and dispatch team.
Pros
They were many times when they brought in food to feed us to meet deadlines or extra from meetings.
Cons
Lack of ownership for mistakes due to risk of losing incentive trips.
Good company to work for
Team Driver (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CA10 July 2018
Good company to work for, pay is good, they’re short drivers right now so expect to do some LA runs and touch freight, dispatch isn’t to bad. Boss is a joke. But running team they don’t bother us so it’s a chill work environment for me.
Great company
Customer Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, IL30 May 2018
although a great company, balancing a home life while being away for 5-6 days a week is very stressful. this company has better home time than others but is not for everyone
Pros
great pay
Cons
forced dispatch
Fast paced warehouse and transportation company focused on the customer.
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MD5 January 2018
A typical day at work involved insuring that our customers were taken care of successfully and quickly addressing any issues that arose causing otherwise. I learned all about food warehousing and the transportation/distribution industry having come from a financial background. The opportunity to learn a new industry from the ground up was quite fascinating and very enjoyable as I am eager to learn. I had the distinct opportunity to serve as delivery driver, warehouse operations supervisor and transportation manager. I was the daily location contact for customer issues, the intermediary between sales and operations often executing customer sales calls with the company sales representatives. Until working for DOT, I had primarily spent my career in various sales type roles. This job educated me in the inter-workings of an operational focused environment.
Pros
Constant learning environment, new challenges every day
Cons
Because of the nature of the business, spent an enormous amount of time daily firefighting versus developing and executing action plans.
If you care about your health, family, personal life, safet then dont work hsre
Transfer Driver (Current Employee) –  Ardmore, OK3 December 2017
They are hypocrite, often preach safety then ask you to violate your log book, tamper with equipment to make it work even though it's illegal (ie. Disconnect speedometer from transmission to negate def issues) any DOT inspection will have you totally screwed if you do as they ask. Poor management and dispatch is impossible to get should of if you need something but you will get 100 calls if they need you for something.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Everything else
Long Haul driving is right for some but not for others.
Long Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Burley, ID27 November 2017
DOT is a great company to work for if you have a long haul mentality and can live in a truck and stay on the road for 2 weeks or more at a time. Wile the pay and benefits were good I struggled with staying out on the road for so long. One of the hardest parts for me was that they were located in Burley ID and I lived in Boise so for layovers of 18 to 24 hours in Burley it didn't make sense for me to drive to Boise.
Pros
Good pay, good benifits
Cons
Too much time away from family and friends.
nothing
MD ASSISTANT DISPATCHER (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MD22 October 2017
very busy work place. many people that work together there don't get along causing undo stress on others. It's hard to manage your people when they can go over your head and have their way
Pros
stability
Cons
enviroment
Was able to travel a lot
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CA31 August 2017
Long driving hours, gone from home 6 days per week, not enough home time. Winter driving was not pleasant. Paycheck were good, but my health, well being and safety are more important to me.
Excellent Company to work for.
Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CA3 September 2016
Excellent company to work for. Top of the line equipment. I've had he opportunity to travel to several States and see many beautiful sights. I'm just tired of doing long haul driving
Pros
Excellent company pay and benefits
Cons
Gone from home too long
Learning Finace purchasing for Federal Government
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK29 February 2016
Documented all purchases and travel, and time and attendance for the unit of 14 employees. Assisted employees with procedures, and kept files on all documentations.

Enjoyed working with the unit, they were very kind, and spent time of personal levels such as luncheons together.

Hardest part, if computer program would not work or log you out before you were done.
Pros
Keep finical purchases updated and paid
Cons
Some contacts last for serval years, the funding is harder to keep track of, and contractors wait for payments.
Great place to work and great atmosphere
TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Burley, ID15 September 2015
a typical day at work consists of waking up, doing your deliveries and breaking down the product for the customer. This is a fast paced environment. Management is great to work with. co workers are always there to help. I felt like i learned more about the trucking industry.
Great Company
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CA12 May 2014
I was responsible for the routing of all deliveries for the 7 western states. I had 70+ solo and team drivers that I had to coordinate DOT hours in order to maintain the delivery schedules. Hardest part of the job was the 24/7 on-call phone.
Pros
Good Co-Workers
Cons
On call phone
Growing Company
Gate Specialist (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, MD27 November 2013
Good company that's never had a lay-off. Decent pay with great benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dot Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.