Donato Salon and Spa

Donato Salon and Spa Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
They need serious improvement
There is a reason that clients never get to see the same stylist twice. They treat them so badly that stylists quit almost immediately. There is room for advancement but they make you jump through hoops to do so. I spent 4 out of 5 years on minimum wage before getting promoted. I was making the same as the assistants but had three times the amount of work.
Do not apply, if you do you will regret it
If I could give one star I would. Easily the worst place I’ve ever worked. Had to leave because it really affected my mental health. Everyone is out to get you and you can’t trust anyone especially the management. I was severely bullied everyday at work told that I had an ugly face and to wear more makeup. Sent home for texting a client the location of the salon. Wrote the manager a personal and private letter about how I was being targeted by one of the instructors and she showed it to the whole staff. Had to deal with someone taking credit for my work online. The list continues. I was even told to go into the mall(square one) and buy I different outfit to wear as mine was “ugly” terrible co-workers and the worst management teM I’ve ever worked with. themanagement
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Everything you can imagine
Horrible culture
They do not value call centre at all, very judgemental and hard environment to work in. They would fire employees with the customer do not like them. And pay is horrible. Very cheap company
good
working at donato was a great experience, productive and fun workplace....will recommend to all newcomers to check this place if you libusinesske to be in the hair
There is always somewhere to help out at Donato. One is able to learn and observe the techniques about the stylists there and develop professional service skills.
Pros
Supportive staff
Fun
Its okay. Its fun being that you can meet a lot of people and build clientele. Management isn't that great however. I worked as a Makeup Artist Assistant.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Too much drama
I was just a co-op student
i did not get paid so i cannot comment on salary and job security. I was a hairstylist assisstant, the staff for the most part was very friendly but they occasionally have their drama like any other work place. i wish i had gotten a job offer there
Pros
Amazing work environment
Cons
Occasionally long hours and working holidays, constantly on your feet all day
Rude People
staff was rude. customers complained a lot about how they would be treated or about how overpriced it is to get your hair done there. but no one ever really cared.
very busy
fast paced and busy environment,always updating and educating myself at the academy!! very friendly staff and good clients to encounter, good team work
Terrible, sexist, mysogynist owner who uses bullying and manipulation tactics to get what he wants
Severely poor upper management that uses lies, manipulation and bullying tactics to guilt-trip, verbally abuse, and use employees, often promising a lot to gain employees, and never fulfilling their promises. High turnover rate of great employees/hard working, lovely staff, because of awful upper management.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Awful boss
You get to work with people who understand the background of beauty
Working with inspirational artist that make you want to create different work. Ive learned how to be able to interact with many different cultures. The hardest part of the job would be when the work place is not as busy, and the most enjoyable part is your co workers become family.
Pros
friendly work place
Cons
different hours
Great people
If you enjoy working with hair all day and are good at small talk you will love it. The contract is pretty strict though and turned me away from the job.
Pros
Cons
Strict Contract
great atmosphere
learned a lot. great employees; so friendly and very talented. had fun working here. love sharing my knowledge to clients and helping them out. did not even feel like I was at "work"
Pros
great people
Cons
Being in the call center/CSR ok experience for young people
A good place to have a part time job. Lots of young people. No room to grow, poor pay, no benefits. Staff are not treated very well, they are just looking to make as much and save enough money as possible.
Donatos was a very nice experience. management and employees were all easy to contacted when needed. overall a every fun and uplifting environment to work in.
great people to work with
Management team is very unorganized and unprofessional. stylist and aestheticians do not get compensated fairly for the amount of money spent on their education to work in this industry.
Great team environment
Worked in a close environment, was able to build relationships with other employees. Management was always available and supportive with any task that required upper management support. Was able to learn about budgeting, scheduling and delegating. The client base is very friendly, was able to build relationships with clients as well.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling
Exciting work enviorment
Very lovely place to work lots of potential for growth also exceptional company for providing their staff with current educational training. the staff is fun loving and considerate of each other.The environment is beautiful and very modern settings.
Pros
lots of educational privleges
Cons
A really good experience, learnt a lot in a short period of time
Always had productive days, everyone was really nice.
I wish it was fulltime like expected, hoped for a better salary and a lot more hours.
Bad, Rude, and Snobby.
Working at Donato was somewhat enjoyable, the receptionists, stylists and colour techs, and the spa personnel were all a blast to see and talk to everyday; that is until you see a manager. a couple were alright when face to face, however when you turn your back to them BEWARE. I was let go because and I quote " you were too happy..." unfortunately I didn't exactly perfect the sour face they all had.
The Salon manager was famous for her foul expression and snobby attitude. In Seven months I saw her smile twice. once when she was getting a make-over. and the other was by some sort of miracle.

The owner is even worse. He only liked you if you sucked up to him, if not.. you were black listed. at first he seemed genuinely nice, until you actually get hired. He is rude, cheap, snobby, (which seems to be a running trend among management) and he has his assistants hold the hair up for him while he's working instead of using a CLIP.

I did however get certified in 3 classes, 2 of which they paid for, and the last I had to pay for because I was terminated. ($500) on top of losing the job.

*** Do NOT SIGN the Contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 year contract, if you quit you get sued. and if you get terminated you have to pay for everything that they said they would pay for.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working on a Sunday, solely because the sour managers and the owner would never show up there on a Sunday.
Pros
education
Cons
vicious management, treated as a number. lack of integrity
You will work hard for your money, but in the end, it doesn't make a difference.
There is no reward for hard, dedicated work, no benefits, no raises and no forgiveness. A very high drama, smile in your face, stab you in yuour back environment.
Pros
free services