Domtar Employee Review

Great place to work before the new mill "manager" arrived.
Power Engineer - 4th Class (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 January 2013
I've been given many opportunities to learn new skills and train on new jobs. I like my supervisors and coworkers and feel like part of a team.

Sometimes, some of the jobs can be dirty or exhausting but they are not always like that. The pay is good and the company offers education incentives to anyone who wants them. There is plenty of overtime available for those who want to earn extra money but there is also plenty of time off so its fairly easy to strike a balance.

Its a unionized plant but the union and the company get along quite well so there doesn't seem to be much friction. There's lots of willingness to cooperate and overall, we enjoy a positive working environment. At least that was the case up to about a year ago when the new manager took over the mill. Now, the relationship isn't very good at all.
Pros
excellent wages, opportunities for advancement, lots of learning opportunities, positive work environment (used to be)
Cons
recent management decisions have resulted in my unemployment.

Other Domtar Employee Reviews

Don't expect quick advancement
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montreal, Canada22 May 2018
Company tends to exhibit favoritism towards certain employees and there is difficulty getting a promotion in this company even after consecutive high rated performance reviews and being there for almost 5 years. I wouldn't recommend working here if you expect to quickly advance your career.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Lack of promotion, career advancement
Good wages and experience. Poor management.
Steam Plant Assistant Shift Engineer/ Operator (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON21 April 2018
Great place to learn about a very broad spectrum of equipment encountered in our field.
First class rated plant allows for all required exam time.
Equipment is quite old with much upgading/maintenance needed.
The employees are generally well trained though at present are mostly new to the mill due to a high rate of retirement.
Management has a very, I say 40s style.
Safety is a priority and money is being spent to upgrade equipment.
Rotating 12 hr. shift schedule 3.2.2.3.2.2. Your schedule can and often does change on a weekly basis.
Pros
Plant size and equipment with steam time availability.
Cons
Management style and shift irregularity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Domtar. Our community is ready to answer.