Domtar

Domtar Employee Reviews in Espanola, ON

unstable work environment
Health and Safety (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON24 January 2020
Working at Domtar is a life changing experience day by day. One day you get a permanent role the next, your position is discontinued due to restructuring and your whole life changes again causing financial distress.

HR plays favorites and will turn her back on you without any cause at all.
Avoid like the plague!
Operating Engineer- steam and recovery (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON2 January 2020
Management is essentially all contractors. Should speak for itself. They demand you to be going for 12 hours straight. If you dare have a seat in control room prepare for written warnings and an earful. Turnover is averaging about 1 person a month over the last number of years. This is a stepping stone job for steam time. Don't read that shift engineers comment who loves it. They are all worked hard due to lack of shift engineers because half are contractors. They live under constant stress of potentially being fired over disobedience even when they are right. They are supposed to be second class but couldn't find anybody to take it so they dropped their standards to a 3rd class willing to write seconds. Save yourself
Great Pay Horrible Management
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON28 November 2019
Although the pay was great, the management is bipolar. Make one wrong move and your out, question decisions on a "bad day" and your out no discussion, no logical discipline, no coaching.
It's all about who you know in regards to advancement nothing is based on experience or knowledge.
The morale all around that place has never been lower and unbelievably still keeps dropping.
Family/work balance is null with the schedule changes happening only 2 days before a new work week especially when they start on Sundays
Don't be fooled by the "saved jobs" tactic they promised after the government funding either numerous employees got let go due to "re-infrastructure" also known as a "bad day"
75% of the staff there are scared to lose their own job and are two-faced bringing anyone they can down before it happens to them.
Think about your mental health before accepting a job at this place!
I love to work at Domtar. Ever day you face and fight new challenges.
Shift Engineer/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON22 August 2019
To work at Domtar is a big challenge. You need to be dedicated and enthusiastic. A continuous struggle and determination can make you succeed and satisfied. Time passes by so quickly that you don't realize. I love it. I want this place to to keep growing and bring prosperity to the local community and the province.
Pros
Friday is fruit day. Free fruits available at the entrance.
Cons
I don't mind working long hours
Bad place to work
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON5 May 2019
Ten years behind in safety, leadership is non existent,maintenance has been ignored for decades causing many breakdowns, low production and safety concerns. Supervisors are uneducated and nepotism is a large problem in this environment.
Pros
Pays okay for a small town
Cons
Safety culture and work environment
Worst management team I have ever seen
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON30 April 2019
In the last 3 years they have brought in a new mill manager who is mentally challenged and has small man issues
The HR manager is borderline criminal in her understanding of labour laws. They have had more good people quit in the last 2 years than the history of Espanola mill. That should be a warning
Some of the supervisors are uneducated and got the position by kissing butts and lead the work force by intimidation
Do your homework before setting foot in the place.
Pros
Good parking
Cons
No one is happy working there.
Good wages and experience. Poor management.
Steam Plant Assistant Shift Engineer/ Operator (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON21 April 2018
Great place to learn about a very broad spectrum of equipment encountered in our field.
First class rated plant allows for all required exam time.
Equipment is quite old with much upgading/maintenance needed.
The employees are generally well trained though at present are mostly new to the mill due to a high rate of retirement.
Management has a very, I say 40s style.
Safety is a priority and money is being spent to upgrade equipment.
Rotating 12 hr. shift schedule 3.2.2.3.2.2. Your schedule can and often does change on a weekly basis.
Pros
Plant size and equipment with steam time availability.
Cons
Management style and shift irregularity.
Bare Minimum Work Enviroment
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON3 February 2018
The difference in work environment that I noticed during my 4 years was surprising. Initially upon hiring, you are required to complete a 4 month rotation though the three difference "areas" of the mill and then are placed in your permeant area. After a full year you then complete "shift training" that only lasts about 6 weeks. The training you are given is lacking and does not have much structor other than the power house portion.

During my employment Domtar asked for their employees to complete surveys that covered their opinions regarding management, their duties, workplace culture, safety etc. After completing the surveys the results were shared however nothing was every done to try and improve any of the problems.

Management spend more time trying to keep their job than actually doing their jobs. The management employees are expected to work a lot more than the required 40 hours a week and receive minimum compensation for doing so.

As a maintenance employee the hardest part of my employment there was the constant contracting out of maintenance work. The work are things that their employees are capable of completing however would required additional planning and organizing on the supervisor/planner side. The easiest way to get around that is to contract out the work and assign (in my case) the 20 electricians on site to lightbulb duty.

Working for Domtar was not all bad. The wage is decent and the benefits aren't terrible. The best part about my experience was working with the maintenance employees on the floor (welders, pipe fitters, millwrights,
  more... operators). Despite the harsh environment, most had good attitudes towards each other and across the other trades. Everyone was willing to help each other even if it wasn't "their job".

Domtar has a lot of potential, however I don't feel like their will reach it any time soon. Their goal is to teach their employees the bare minimum, provide the bare minimum, and in turn will end of with the bare minimum. The only thing I will miss are the people I worked with, but other than that resigning was the best move for me.
Pros
Decent wage/benefits
Cons
Poor work environment, high amount of safety recordables, bare minimum standards
Winder operator
Winder operator (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON30 November 2017
I worked at domtar pulp and paper for 6 years and I found that it was slowly going downhill with maintenance and management,it did pay well and had good benefits but I found that it would not be a job I'd want for life.
Dictatorship runs stromg
Licensed Red Seal Plumber (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON6 December 2016
Absolutely the worst company I've ever worked for. Staff and management are extremely inexperienced and under qualified. Many human rights, employment standards act and occupational health and safety infractions have occurred by supervisors and the human resources department refuses to deal with the issues and the grievances they have caused. Should have never come to work here.
Pros
Cons
Falce accusations and unjust discipline run wild
Agree with electrician
Staff (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON12 November 2015
Some great people hourly and staff,

Good corporate entity and strategies- willing to invest in employee development.
Top notch CEO
Local management is inconsistent (understated!!)
Family connections take priority and matter.
Do your homework before committing.
Pros
great product lines
Cons
Working for current management group
Great place to develop skills and experience!
Network Technician - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON18 June 2015
Good management and helpful co-workers
Very good place to gain hands-on experience
Sometime it can be stressful depending on the nature of project
Highly industrial production environment
Job satisfaction.
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON24 March 2014
Great variety of work to utilize your skills.
Learned the use of laser alignment.
Management allows you to work independently.
Great team environment with co-workers.
Hardest part of the job is temperature extremes.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the challenges forcing you to think.
Strange and bizzare place to work
electrician (Former Employee) –  espanola ontario2 August 2013
I worked here as an electrician. They rotate you through different departments every 4 months before they put you on shift. I had no problems in the first dept and enjoyed working with the people and the bosses.
When I was sent to a new dept after about 4 weeks my boss went to all my previous coworkers to see if there were any faults in me and my work. Amazingly my coworkers who I thought were my friends were overflowing in there condemnations.
In my 25yr career I have never experienced such psychological warfare. I refused to sign a very restrictive contract for my employment, and because of this was fired.
Another bizarre aspect of the company is the fact that there is a
n a z i shrine in the basement.
If you have a heart of stone and are a chameleon then this is your company. I would recommend sticking to Sudbury Jobs.
Pros
occasional gift cards given good wage
Cons
schizophrenic management style.