Domtar Employee Reviews

Belle expérience
Commis aux équipements (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 June 2018
Outils de travail à la fine pointe. Permet de développer son potentiel. Bons compagnons de travail
Pros
Salaires élevés
Cons
Aucune conciliation travail-famille
Good wages and experience. Poor management.
Steam Plant Assistant Shift Engineer/ Operator (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON21 April 2018
Great place to learn about a very broad spectrum of equipment encountered in our field.
First class rated plant allows for all required exam time.
Equipment is quite old with much upgading/maintenance needed.
The employees are generally well trained though at present are mostly new to the mill due to a high rate of retirement.
Management has a very, I say 40s style.
Safety is a priority and money is being spent to upgrade equipment.
Rotating 12 hr. shift schedule 3.2.2.3.2.2. Your schedule can and often does change on a weekly basis.
Pros
Plant size and equipment with steam time availability.
Cons
Management style and shift irregularity.
Good wage
Student shutdown worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 March 2018
Didn't work there long due to it being a temporary position but the pay was great. Big company with lots of employees. Learned social aspects of the workplace.
Not a good place, bottom line
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Dryden, Ontario9 February 2018
Terrible union that makes up rules as they go along, old DCS technology with no sign of upgrades coming, safety is said to be a priority, but only when a lost time injury occurs, worker suggestions are quickly swept aside "because that's how we do things here"

One of the worst, most negative, counter-productive, cancerous shops I've ever had the displeasure of working in. If there were a minus Star rating, I would have given it.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Pros
Decent benefits and alright pay
Cons
Little to no OT, bad shop management, terrible shop politics, unhelpful union, negative shop atmosphere
Bare Minimum Work Enviroment
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON3 February 2018
The difference in work environment that I noticed during my 4 years was surprising. Initially upon hiring, you are required to complete a 4 month rotation though the three difference "areas" of the mill and then are placed in your permeant area. After a full year you then complete "shift training" that only lasts about 6 weeks. The training you are given is lacking and does not have much structor other than the power house portion.

During my employment Domtar asked for their employees to complete surveys that covered their opinions regarding management, their duties, workplace culture, safety etc. After completing the surveys the results were shared however nothing was every done to try and improve any of the problems.

Management spend more time trying to keep their job than actually doing their jobs. The management employees are expected to work a lot more than the required 40 hours a week and receive minimum compensation for doing so.

As a maintenance employee the hardest part of my employment there was the constant contracting out of maintenance work. The work are things that their employees are capable of completing however would required additional planning and organizing on the supervisor/planner side. The easiest way to get around that is to contract out the work and assign (in my case) the 20 electricians on site to lightbulb duty.

Working for Domtar was not all bad. The wage is decent and the benefits aren't terrible. The best part about my experience was working with the maintenance employees on the floor (welders, pipe fitters, millwrights,
  more... operators). Despite the harsh environment, most had good attitudes towards each other and across the other trades. Everyone was willing to help each other even if it wasn't "their job".

Domtar has a lot of potential, however I don't feel like their will reach it any time soon. Their goal is to teach their employees the bare minimum, provide the bare minimum, and in turn will end of with the bare minimum. The only thing I will miss are the people I worked with, but other than that resigning was the best move for me.
Pros
Decent wage/benefits
Cons
Poor work environment, high amount of safety recordables, bare minimum standards
Loved every minute
Operator /Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON11 December 2017
great job lots of room for advancement if you wanted it.
great guys good benefits.

shortage of work layoffs.
company being sold causing layoffs again.
Pros
working
Cons
not working
Winder operator
Winder operator (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON30 November 2017
I worked at domtar pulp and paper for 6 years and I found that it was slowly going downhill with maintenance and management,it did pay well and had good benefits but I found that it would not be a job I'd want for life.
Productive and great work environment
Production Technician & Return to Work Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ear Falls, ON29 November 2017
I learned safety, production goals, team work. Lots of room for advancement with the Mill. Moved from Production to Administrative positions within 2 years. Great work culture. Hardest part of my job was leaving as Mill was shutting down. Most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with and for.
Pros
Advancement with in.
Cons
Having to leave
Espanola Mill looks like a great place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nairn16 June 2017
The Domtar I worked at no longer exists so I can't really rate them anymore. I would like to work at the Espanola Mill in the future so hopefully they hire me.
N/a
coordontaur (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC1 June 2017
Bonne entreprise, bien organisé. Excellente atmosphère d travail
Pros
Culture et ambiance
Cons
securité
Travaille intéressant
Analyste SAP BW, Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 April 2017
Relation interpersonnelle agréable et bonne ambiance de travail.
Pros
Esprit d'équipe
Cons
Pression des haut dirigants
Merge made management unconsistant
SALES ACCOUNTING AGENT (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 February 2017
I got there in the middle of a merge with Staple.
New credit office created for this reason with new management and not much communication.
Ambience was very cold and competitive.
Very nice enviroment to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 January 2017
Nice place , worked in a team, friendly management.
Office environment , Learned and used SAP everyday. Learned computer skills and involved in projects.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
jobs are being transfered to other head office in USA
Directeur de commercialisation, province de Québec
Directeur de commercialisation, province de Québec (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Comme de nombreuses organisations du secteur des pâtes et papiers, Domtar traverse une étape de restructuration importante. En raison d’une réorganisation d’Entreprise Group récente, des fonctions ont été combinées. Cela s’est traduit par la suppression de plusieurs postes, y compris le mien. Je suis fier de mes contributions durant mes années là-bas dont avoir augmenté la pénétration dans le territoire par une gestion efficace, et je regarde cela comme une opportunité d’utiliser mes forces et mon expérience dans un nouveau cadre de travail…
Pros
environnement
Dictatorship runs stromg
Licensed Red Seal Plumber (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON6 December 2016
Absolutely the worst company I've ever worked for. Staff and management are extremely inexperienced and under qualified. Many human rights, employment standards act and occupational health and safety infractions have occurred by supervisors and the human resources department refuses to deal with the issues and the grievances they have caused. Should have never come to work here.
Pros
Cons
Falce accusations and unjust discipline run wild
paper mill
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON17 November 2016
domtar is no longer in business in canada. but at the time the people i worked with were great but the union people were selfish and couldn't care less if you needed the job. if you werent union you shouldnt be working there
Pros
Cons
everything
Solid company to work for however very little opportunities to advance.
Supervisor, Administrative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 September 2016
A typical day at Domtar as Supervisor was busy. Always problem solving since the nature of the department being service related. Mail miss delivered, parcels too heavy, receptionist calls in sick last minute, meeting room required NOW but no rooms available.

I learned a great deal about prioritizing problems and executing a top-notch service.

My coworkers were hardworking and we worked as a team backing each other up.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with an internal customer who claims he or she is right and having to defend your staff because you know they did their job. Nonetheless the client says otherwise so you have to explain calmly and try to resolve.

The best part of the job was when surveys were done every second year and the overall score was outstanding. It made me feel as though I had accomplished my job as a Supervisor.
Pros
Job security
Cons
no culture
Usine de Windsor
Aide opérateur Lessiveur (Former Employee) –  Windsor, QC13 April 2016
En période importante de retraite/embauche depuis 3 ans;
J'ai exercé plusieurs postes au sein de Domtar-Windsor, dont 4 ans aux Ressources Humaines de la Division.
Bon emploi, mais pression importante à gérer.
Non, prendre anciens employeurs
Superviseur, facturation et support technique (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 March 2016
Domtar demeure une bonne entreprise. Cependant, je préfère donner mes avis avec CST Canada Co.
great environment,carreer advancement
Electrical/Instrument Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON26 February 2016
working at Domtar had a family atmosphere ,we all worked as a team
training was available without any issues and they promoted within which was a plus for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Domtar. Our community is ready to answer.