Domtar Employee Reviews

Found 64 reviews matching the search See all 225 reviews
Sort by: Helpfulness | Rating | Date
3.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
belle cultutre d'entreprise
Comptable à la facturation (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 March 2019
J'ai bien aimé cette entreprise les employés sont super.
J'ai appris encore plus que jamais à travailler avec le plus de précision possible.

L'aspect difficile c'est que notre supérieur ne nous faisait pas confiance.

l'aspect le plus agréable c'est qu'il ne manquait pas de job. journée toujours bien remplie
Pros
bonne journée remplie de travail
Cons
Confiance dans les pauses
Was this review helpful?Yes 2NoReport
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Agreable et fun le travail
Mecanicien (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC12 January 2019
Ok belle expérience à la centrale électrique nouveau défi merci
Was this review helpful?YesNo 1Report
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Magnìfico grupo, dinámico, servicial
REPRÉSENTANTE SENIOR (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Canadá19 October 2018
La parte más difícil fue cuando implementamos un nuevo software y no funcionaba correctamente. Lo que más me gustó fue el grupo de trabajo.
Pros
Seguro dental, médico.
Was this review helpful?YesNoReport
4.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Environnement de travail agréable
Chef de service Vérification interne (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 September 2018
• avec des entreprises dans des domaines manufacturiers internationale et de distribution d’envergure nationale;
• pour rapidement comprendre les besoins des utilisateurs et de recommander des solutions pertinentes, et ce, des équipes de soutien jusqu'aux membres de la haute direction;
• dans l’émission d’évaluations pour améliorer l’efficacité et l’efficience des processus d’affaires de nature financières, opérationnelles et informatiques, incluant la gouvernance;
• à titre d’intervenant avec la haute direction et divers comités.
Pros
Bonis annuelle et fête de bureau pour Noel
Was this review helpful?Yes 1No 2Report
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Excellent
Mécanicien d'engins lourds et mécanicien d'usine (Former Employee) –  Windsor, QC25 August 2018
On en manques jamais de rien a la Domtar de Windsor.
Was this review helpful?Yes 3NoReport
4.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Large volume call center.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 August 2018
Domtar is a pulp and paper company with offices worldwide.
We were the North American call center with a huge volume of calls.
Extensive training provided with gradual ease into assigned position responding to clients and reps. Very hectic and non-stop volume of inquiries, orders etc. Management is monitoring number and length of calls and is vigilant of logging in and out of being available.
Pros
Excellent training program, learn about industry
Cons
Hectic and production oriented
Was this review helpful?YesNoReport
4.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
progressive compnay
Sustainable Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 July 2018
Domtar is a progressive company that sees itself beyond the pulp and paper world. I am proud to say I worked for the organization . I helped bring forward the innovative ideas they had and I grew as a person as well.
Pros
understands sustainability
Was this review helpful?YesNoReport
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Merveilleuse entreprise privée
Adjointe administrative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 July 2018
Quel plaisir de travailler à cet endroit. Les employés sont engagés sur la base des valeurs de Domtar.

Milieu de travail extra, reconnaissance des employés, etc. Mais malheureusement, le voyagement à Montréal était de trop!
Was this review helpful?Yes 2No 1Report
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Belle expérience
Commis aux équipements (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 June 2018
Outils de travail à la fine pointe. Permet de développer son potentiel. Bons compagnons de travail
Pros
Salaires élevés
Cons
Aucune conciliation travail-famille
Was this review helpful?Yes 2NoReport
3.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Don't expect quick advancement
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montreal, Canada22 May 2018
Company tends to exhibit favoritism towards certain employees and there is difficulty getting a promotion in this company even after consecutive high rated performance reviews and being there for almost 5 years. I wouldn't recommend working here if you expect to quickly advance your career.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Lack of promotion, career advancement
Was this review helpful?Yes 3No 1Report
3.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Good wages and experience. Poor management.
Steam Plant Assistant Shift Engineer/ Operator (Current Employee) –  Espanola, ON21 April 2018
Great place to learn about a very broad spectrum of equipment encountered in our field.
First class rated plant allows for all required exam time.
Equipment is quite old with much upgading/maintenance needed.
The employees are generally well trained though at present are mostly new to the mill due to a high rate of retirement.
Management has a very, I say 40s style.
Safety is a priority and money is being spent to upgrade equipment.
Rotating 12 hr. shift schedule 3.2.2.3.2.2. Your schedule can and often does change on a weekly basis.
Pros
Plant size and equipment with steam time availability.
Cons
Management style and shift irregularity.
Was this review helpful?Yes 3NoReport
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Good wage
Student shutdown worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 March 2018
Didn't work there long due to it being a temporary position but the pay was great. Big company with lots of employees. Learned social aspects of the workplace.
Was this review helpful?Yes 1NoReport
1.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Not a good place, bottom line
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Dryden, Ontario9 February 2018
Terrible union that makes up rules as they go along, old DCS technology with no sign of upgrades coming, safety is said to be a priority, but only when a lost time injury occurs, worker suggestions are quickly swept aside "because that's how we do things here"

One of the worst, most negative, counter-productive, cancerous shops I've ever had the displeasure of working in. If there were a minus Star rating, I would have given it.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Pros
Decent benefits and alright pay
Cons
Little to no OT, bad shop management, terrible shop politics, unhelpful union, negative shop atmosphere
Was this review helpful?Yes 13No 3Report
2.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Bare Minimum Work Enviroment
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON3 February 2018
The difference in work environment that I noticed during my 4 years was surprising. Initially upon hiring, you are required to complete a 4 month rotation though the three difference "areas" of the mill and then are placed in your permeant area. After a full year you then complete "shift training" that only lasts about 6 weeks. The training you are given is lacking and does not have much structor other than the power house portion.

During my employment Domtar asked for their employees to complete surveys that covered their opinions regarding management, their duties, workplace culture, safety etc. After completing the surveys the results were shared however nothing was every done to try and improve any of the problems.

Management spend more time trying to keep their job than actually doing their jobs. The management employees are expected to work a lot more than the required 40 hours a week and receive minimum compensation for doing so.

As a maintenance employee the hardest part of my employment there was the constant contracting out of maintenance work. The work are things that their employees are capable of completing however would required additional planning and organizing on the supervisor/planner side. The easiest way to get around that is to contract out the work and assign (in my case) the 20 electricians on site to lightbulb duty.

Working for Domtar was not all bad. The wage is decent and the benefits aren't terrible. The best part about my experience was working with the maintenance employees on the floor (welders, pipe fitters, millwrights,
  more... operators). Despite the harsh environment, most had good attitudes towards each other and across the other trades. Everyone was willing to help each other even if it wasn't "their job".

Domtar has a lot of potential, however I don't feel like their will reach it any time soon. Their goal is to teach their employees the bare minimum, provide the bare minimum, and in turn will end of with the bare minimum. The only thing I will miss are the people I worked with, but other than that resigning was the best move for me.
  less
Pros
Decent wage/benefits
Cons
Poor work environment, high amount of safety recordables, bare minimum standards
Was this review helpful?Yes 3No 4Report
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Loved every minute
Operator /Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON11 December 2017
great job lots of room for advancement if you wanted it.
great guys good benefits.

shortage of work layoffs.
company being sold causing layoffs again.
Pros
working
Cons
not working
Was this review helpful?Yes 3NoReport
1.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Winder operator
Winder operator (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON30 November 2017
I worked at domtar pulp and paper for 6 years and I found that it was slowly going downhill with maintenance and management,it did pay well and had good benefits but I found that it would not be a job I'd want for life.
Was this review helpful?Yes 3No 2Report
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Productive and great work environment
Production Technician & Return to Work Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ear Falls, ON29 November 2017
I learned safety, production goals, team work. Lots of room for advancement with the Mill. Moved from Production to Administrative positions within 2 years. Great work culture. Hardest part of my job was leaving as Mill was shutting down. Most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with and for.
Pros
Advancement with in.
Cons
Having to leave
Was this review helpful?Yes 1NoReport
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Espanola Mill looks like a great place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nairn16 June 2017
The Domtar I worked at no longer exists so I can't really rate them anymore. I would like to work at the Espanola Mill in the future so hopefully they hire me.
Was this review helpful?YesNo 7Report
4.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
N/a
coordontaur (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC1 June 2017
Bonne entreprise, bien organisé. Excellente atmosphère d travail
Pros
Culture et ambiance
Cons
securité
Was this review helpful?Yes 4No 2Report
5.0
Job Work/Life Balance
Salary/Benefits
Job Security/Advancement
Management
Job Culture
Travaille intéressant
Analyste SAP BW, Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 April 2017
Relation interpersonnelle agréable et bonne ambiance de travail.
Pros
Esprit d'équipe
Cons
Pression des haut dirigants
Was this review helpful?Yes 3No 1Report
Claimed Profile

Want to know more about working here?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Domtar. Our community is ready to answer.

Ask a Question

Overall rating

3.9
Based on 225 reviews
579
472
347
217
110

Ratings by category

3.6Work/Life Balance
4.1Salary/Benefits
3.3Job Security/Advancement
3.4Management
3.5Culture