Dollarama Pay & Benefits reviews

dollarama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  2469 Highway 97 N Kelowna, BC10 August 2018
Working at Dollarama was easy, i'd shock shelves in my section, and go on cash when needed, overall I wasn't happy there anymore and decided to leave.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management
Easy but unreliable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2018
I worked for only three months at Trainyards because they messed up my transfer to another store, the manager left and I couldnt track her down so I lost my job there. Also the training is not the best, they show you how to work cash once or twice and that's it, and they dont clarify any rules, cash access is limited so when you make a tiny mistake you need to bring in management so you feel kinda stupid. Also, no safety training!
Allas, it was pretty good, I really liked my coworkers as they were all nice. You dont really get benefits or a discount but i didnt care since its a dollar store. I only worked weekends until Christmas time where i had more hours so i had all my evenings off.
I wouldnt return if they asked me back, not worth it but I guess its a good starter job.
They needed more organization among the staff and schedules.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 July 2018
The schedule was disorganized and I was given very little hours due to minimum wage increase. The training was sloppy and unethical. The relations among the staff often wasn't positive.
Management is not good i am not satisfied with thier behaviour
Main Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON26 July 2018
I gave my best to Dollarama but still i am a part timer..
Management is not good that's why i want to switch my job..as a Full timer
But they r not coprated with me
Pros
Cons
Never
Dollarama Review
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON11 July 2018
I worked for this company for 6 years and when I had my first child and came back from maternity I was told I would have to work nights/weekends even though there were 4 other keyholders at the time, and none of them had kids, management plays favorites, hours are terrible for full-time workers (25-30) during off-peak season.
Pros
good benefits, decent pay, stable work
Cons
low hours, head office doesn't listen to concerns, unpaid break
enjoyable place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 July 2018
a good place to work enjoyable atmosphere, quite relaxed not a strict task oriented job. you know what needs to be done and as long as you do your job all is good
Did not fully enjoy
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB4 July 2018
I did not enjoy my time working for Dollarama.

My shifts were few and far between, high number of staff for the amount of hours needed.

often left without any direction and reprimanded for not having this information.

Felt as though I was not respected.
Pros
pay
Cons
management, staff, scheduling, pay
Nice place to work, management could use some work
Merchandiser/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 July 2018
I enjoy working here because the environment is friendly and it offers a decent wage, health benefits and opportunity to move up. Unfortunately, sometimes it feels like corporate just doesn't care about the people working in the stores. They want what they want done when they want it done and if you question it you're out. The work here can be very stressful and demanding on busy days or days when a lot of new stock comes in but otherwise Dollarama is a relatively good company to work for. I've definitely seen worse.
Pros
Health Benefits, opportunity for promotion
Cons
long hours, stressful, corporate management lacking
Not productive, no management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON26 June 2018
They give bad hours, I was stuck with five hours for around 3 weeks. They started me off with 15. Then down to 10. Then 5. There is barely any management. They all take smoke breaks and gossip when an employee takes a two minute break
Pros
N/a
Cons
Bad hours
nice company to work for but a lot of back stabbing
CASHIER - SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 June 2018
was a nice company to work for . you just don't know if the next time you go into work is going to be your last shift. there was a lot of back stabbing among the staff at the store i worked at
Pros
pay was good
Cons
job security
Fun place to work
1) Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON7 June 2018
Cool work culture.
Have been working here for 8 months now.
Management is good.
Given work Hours are very less so that's an issue
Would recommend them to give more hours to employees
Bad Experience with Management
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 June 2018
I've heard many people enjoy their experience working for this company, I'm sure it was just bad management that led me to absolutely hate this job. No chance you're moving up and if you are a measly 50 cent pay raise and loss of weekend time is what you have in store.
a place to start
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Campbellton, NB30 May 2018
very high pace tight deadlines hard company to work for not very family friendly no compastion to workers bad place to wok if you have a family they dont carre
Pros
good jobs
Cons
not enought in my field
Good for a first time job
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 May 2018
-The job is a good start in retail and for saving money if need be.
-Full time is 25 hours, part time can be as low as 10hrs a week.
-A lot of the time the store will be under staffed and youll have quite a bit to do in a small 6 hour shift.
-It can be easy to move to a key holder position but the raise is depressing, youll have to deal with the most ridiculous customers, and management (depending on the store) is pretty snarky.
-If you want to work here keep your head down and just go to make money.
Pros
Half hour lunches, 15 minute breaks, and flexible.
Cons
Call ins, no benefits, stressful.
Awesome ish?
Team Leader/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB13 May 2018
The people I've met as staff are freaking one in a million. Just awesome. The managers range from god awfull to the best. I worked for 6 years under this one man. He made work not just fun but made you want to push yourself and be the very best. We lost him to a back injury and the person who replaced him... well the whole staff quit within a month.

The pension plan is pretty good if you last 2 years. The benefits are pretty good too.... only took 8 years to get them. Unless you get full time right off the bat.
Pros
Staff are hilarious and fun to hangout with evem after work
Cons
Shifts continuously change
Self-driven work
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC9 May 2018
mostly autonomous work with a bit of direction, fairly typical minimum wage job. Various positions to be filled and was fairly flexible with them, from acting as a cashier, stocking shelves, customer service, and working in the back.
mediocre place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON7 May 2018
- customers can be rude and complain about pricing
- lots of theft
- a lot of multi tasking involved
- no discount for employees, or incentives or benefits for part time work
- the "no returns" policy makes customers angry
- easy job overall, but tends to be understaffed
- some management is also rude depending on the location, but if the coworkers are good, its a fun job merchandising.
- customers change their mind constantly, so be prepared to put away carts FULL of merchandise every night.
Pros
easy job, merchandising can be fun
Cons
customers are consistently rude and aggressive
Not a bad place to work, lots of hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carleton Place, ON7 May 2018
Good place to work on retail workplace experience, shortest shift was 6 hours pay cheque was always good, and management works with you in tough situations.
Pros
Working with nice people
not to bad
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NB30 April 2018
its a simple job, lots of place for advancement, but where i worked, employes always called in sick, and they always called me to come in on my days off, but besides that it was a good job
productive
Forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Montreal, quebec25 April 2018
I came to québec only over one year ago and they hired me as soon as I got here. Its a muticulturel environment. You have to perform and work fast. There is a lot of come and go as the people dont stay at that job for long. Its a good first job if you just got in the country. Not enough hours, they often send you home.
Pros
meetings every morning
Cons
short breaks, no healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.