Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,793 reviews matching the search See all 1,819 reviews
Enjoyable
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2018
I mainly did stocking while working here. I am someone who enjoys organizing so much that it's something I do in stores even when I'm not working so getting paid to do so is a plus for me. Also helped customers by directing them to anything they were looking for.

I learned how a work environment was like since this was my first retail job.

The manager I had was very nice and encouraging, she would often praise me for good work and would help me if I was ever confused.

The people there were OK though no one really talked to much other than for work related things.

I feel like it was a pretty simple, good job but if I had to pick something that was hard it'd either be heavy lifting or memorizing locations of certain items.
Easy but unreliable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2018
I worked for only three months at Trainyards because they messed up my transfer to another store, the manager left and I couldnt track her down so I lost my job there. Also the training is not the best, they show you how to work cash once or twice and that's it, and they dont clarify any rules, cash access is limited so when you make a tiny mistake you need to bring in management so you feel kinda stupid. Also, no safety training!
Allas, it was pretty good, I really liked my coworkers as they were all nice. You dont really get benefits or a discount but i didnt care since its a dollar store. I only worked weekends until Christmas time where i had more hours so i had all my evenings off.
I wouldnt return if they asked me back, not worth it but I guess its a good starter job.
Nice place to work, management could use some work
Merchandiser/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 July 2018
I enjoy working here because the environment is friendly and it offers a decent wage, health benefits and opportunity to move up. Unfortunately, sometimes it feels like corporate just doesn't care about the people working in the stores. They want what they want done when they want it done and if you question it you're out. The work here can be very stressful and demanding on busy days or days when a lot of new stock comes in but otherwise Dollarama is a relatively good company to work for. I've definitely seen worse.
Pros
Health Benefits, opportunity for promotion
Cons
long hours, stressful, corporate management lacking
Slave labour, no breaks in 5 hours..STAY AWAY!!
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB6 November 2018
Tons of stock every day ,cardboard laying everywhere ,rushing from cash to stocking products, heavy-lifting.
No breaks... no benefits UNTIL AFTER 1000 hours!! So they only give you 10 hours a week. Who can live on that? Tons of gossip. You cannot trust anyone or anything. Hired as full time get part time no discussion. Mice ...stock and mess in food areas and bathrooms. They check you, your purse and bags because they believe everyone is a thief. Save yourself run away. Very young keypeople and team leaders that lead nothing except making their days easy and yours hard. RUN AWAY
Pros
You might get some money
Cons
Good place to start, bad place to stay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 October 2018
Been here for three years. It was a good job as a high school student but as the years went by, my hours got cut and I was only given a raise once – a five cent raise. It's a great place to start out in retail and customer service, but if you stay as long as I have, you definitely get sick of it.
Pros
Generally relaxed environment
Cons
Rude customers are common, overbearing management
Chill, but nothing special
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 November 2018
I've been working here for three years now, and the only reason why I stay is for the co-workers. The people you work with here are the only ones that make your shifts fun. Other than that, management constantly demands more hours from you even if you are a university student and cannot work any more hours.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Expect no raises
Good for a first time job
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 May 2018
-The job is a good start in retail and for saving money if need be.
-Full time is 25 hours, part time can be as low as 10hrs a week.
-A lot of the time the store will be under staffed and youll have quite a bit to do in a small 6 hour shift.
-It can be easy to move to a key holder position but the raise is depressing, youll have to deal with the most ridiculous customers, and management (depending on the store) is pretty snarky.
-If you want to work here keep your head down and just go to make money.
Pros
Half hour lunches, 15 minute breaks, and flexible.
Cons
Call ins, no benefits, stressful.
Dollarama Review
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON11 July 2018
I worked for this company for 6 years and when I had my first child and came back from maternity I was told I would have to work nights/weekends even though there were 4 other keyholders at the time, and none of them had kids, management plays favorites, hours are terrible for full-time workers (25-30) during off-peak season.
Pros
good benefits, decent pay, stable work
Cons
low hours, head office doesn't listen to concerns, unpaid break
too much expectations for part time
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2018
they expected too much, for such a low salary and for part time while I was in school, management was unorganized. workplace was quiet sometimes, during Christmas time was crazy busy
mediocre place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON7 May 2018
- customers can be rude and complain about pricing
- lots of theft
- a lot of multi tasking involved
- no discount for employees, or incentives or benefits for part time work
- the "no returns" policy makes customers angry
- easy job overall, but tends to be understaffed
- some management is also rude depending on the location, but if the coworkers are good, its a fun job merchandising.
- customers change their mind constantly, so be prepared to put away carts FULL of merchandise every night.
Pros
easy job, merchandising can be fun
Cons
customers are consistently rude and aggressive
it was an ok place to work
Cashier/Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC23 August 2018
It was an ok place to work. It was always busy because it was a larger store. I learned how use a helium tank to fill balloons and how to take down a pallet.
Pros
everything was cheap
Cons
long hours and no benefits
Awesome ish?
Team Leader/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB13 May 2018
The people I've met as staff are freaking one in a million. Just awesome. The managers range from god awfull to the best. I worked for 6 years under this one man. He made work not just fun but made you want to push yourself and be the very best. We lost him to a back injury and the person who replaced him... well the whole staff quit within a month.

The pension plan is pretty good if you last 2 years. The benefits are pretty good too.... only took 8 years to get them. Unless you get full time right off the bat.
Pros
Staff are hilarious and fun to hangout with evem after work
Cons
Shifts continuously change
retail environment
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 November 2018
working in the retail was not an easy job for me at all.
head office required a lot of achievements with cutting hours and cutting benefits.
employees themselves were very nice and helpful.
Amazing work enviroment
assistant team leader (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON11 October 2018
I have been working with Dollarama for almost 3 years now and I absolutely love it! The staff is friendly, the benefits are good and the environment is very comforting.
dollarama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  2469 Highway 97 N Kelowna, BC10 August 2018
Working at Dollarama was easy, i'd shock shelves in my section, and go on cash when needed, overall I wasn't happy there anymore and decided to leave.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management
Bad Experience with Management
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 June 2018
I've heard many people enjoy their experience working for this company, I'm sure it was just bad management that led me to absolutely hate this job. No chance you're moving up and if you are a measly 50 cent pay raise and loss of weekend time is what you have in store.
Fun Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 November 2018
Good place to make friends, flexible hours, management is great and always helpful with school, exams, last minute schedule conflicts etc. Good money and hours, especially around holidays.
Pros
flexible hours, flexible scheduling, holiday hours
Cons
money, regular hours, advancement
enjoyed working in different location to gain better understanding of the company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON21 March 2018
• Assists Store Manager in all aspects of retail store operation. Opens and closes the store, ensures rules and regulations are respected, trains and supervises staff, and is responsible for total store operations in the Store Manager’s absence.
• Executes the corporate merchandising plan. Efficiently processes stock from the receiving dock and maintains the planned merchandise placement.
• Selected to special projects “parachute” team to upgrade poorly performing stores/regions.
Pros
pention plan and benifits for all employees
Cons
Changing the seasons
Don't work Here!!!!
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 October 2018
Hours/scheduling, over worked for minimum wage, head office expects far too much of people, can't speak your mind or you get fired, dress code, management, no cameras, high turnover rate, head office is extremely picky about everything, management doesn't pay attention to availability (if you are needed in the store, then you are needed), employees are all treated like thieves, always under-staffed, management doesn't follow rules but expects everyone else to.
Pros
Great co-workers know when products come in before others, easy to work your way up in the company.
Cons
Store Managers don't know how to manage their employees
advancement opportunities, growing company, poor work life balance
DISTRICT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  various26 November 2018
as company there is huge growth which allows for growth in various positions. work life balance is not a priority set out by the company, as a DM there really isn't down time. If you put in the time and work there is room for advancement if that is what you are looking for or if that is motivation you require.
schedule is flexile it does allow for various different shifts if you need. time worked over and above is not returned.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.