Dollarama Employee Reviews

Journée de travail difficile
Distributeur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 October 2018
C'est un emploi très éprouvant qui demande une bonne condition physique. Ce n'est pas un emploi facile et réalisable pour tout le monde.
fun workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 October 2018
- maintain a clean and safe environment that prevents loss and minimizes risk
- listen to the customer and observe non-verbal cues to anticipate service needs
- engage in genuine conversation while completing Cashwrap transaction processes quickly and accurately
- keep all Cashwrap supplies in stock and organized
- lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- fill up the empty shelves
Pros
holiday hours
Bad Schedule
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2018
The schedule was painful. The manager only put out the schedule one week at a time instead of a month like most other places I've worked at. There was no regularity with days you worked so it was difficult, if not impossible, to have a social life because you can't plan things out ahead of time. If you made plans it was the week or day of. My co-workers made things bearable but you need work/life balance.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
No social life
not managed well
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON17 October 2018
The hired me for seasonal without describing that to me, and laid me off after 4 weeks without work. Had 5 hours a week. Some were friendly, also they don't handle problems well.
Love to work there
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC17 October 2018
Working was fun and management was too good. Got paid every 2nd week . Proper schedule and everyone is so polite and understanding. Love to work there again
No respect
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2018
terrible company to work for, no loyalty and management bully each other all the time. District manager talks down on employees and manager doesn't know what he is doing
Pros
Feels good when the day is done
Cons
Managment is awful
fun and ejouable place to wrok
Cashier, count pre-shift float (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON12 October 2018
busy place lots of stocking enjoyed working there. had fun stocking all the shelves. rearranging all the products around the store . serving customers, doing cashier if needed. Helping customers find things they need.
Amazing work enviroment
assistant team leader (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ON11 October 2018
I have been working with Dollarama for almost 3 years now and I absolutely love it! The staff is friendly, the benefits are good and the environment is very comforting.
productive and great work experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 October 2018
I enjoyed working there exept for running around like a crazy person for little pay... not being allowed to stop theives Or banning people who stole disrespected an employee or the store and the aknowledgement of people that Apply For hire up postions with years of experience only to loose it to somone with less then 3 years and dollarama being their only experience in retail
Trop. De tâche pas. Asser. Daventage sociaux.
Caissière et service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Bathurst, NB9 October 2018
Travail. Trop. Dure. Pour le. Salaire payer . Pas asser daventage sociaux. Et. Boucoup trop pression et de tâche. A. Accomplir. Pour. Un salaire. Minimum
Pros
Personelle. Accueillant et. Collègue. Très. Jenti
Cons
Trop. Pression trop. De taches
good
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 October 2018
I liked working at Dollarama. Nice environment to working in. Helpful people and are good with work. Staff is nice, work and friendly people . Glad to work here!
Good place to start, bad place to stay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 October 2018
Been here for three years. It was a good job as a high school student but as the years went by, my hours got cut and I was only given a raise once – a five cent raise. It's a great place to start out in retail and customer service, but if you stay as long as I have, you definitely get sick of it.
Pros
Generally relaxed environment
Cons
Rude customers are common, overbearing management
The job was not for me
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 October 2018
Typical Day: handling cash and customers, stocking products.

What I learned: Cash, Stocking

Management: Mgt and or/ Leaders do "old style" managing by yelling at staff to get them motivated.

Workplace Culture: Everyone runs away from the cashier position, so usually lucky to have one teller on a a time. when the cashier need's help from other staff they do not want you to call for help unless there is twelve customers or more standing there. (Tthey really don't want you to call for help) Because of the steady line of customers your lucky to look up from what your doing till lunch. So cashier is oblivious with their surroundings because they are so busy.

Coffee breaks are hardly given, and if you do get one, your lucky to get a 5 min break, Management does not follow Dollarama Videos on coffee break rule. There is too many leaders and not enough staff, so the bare staff that there is that has to "listen" get's everything thrown at them.There is a lot of favortism between Management and other leaders, compaired to other staff.

The hardest part of the job
You are not allowed to accidently double scan a product if this happens, you have to call a team leader to void the transaction, if this happens more than three times you can be written up and if you are written up too often, then fired. In the olden days you used to beable to cancel this with no issue.

But now you must wait for management or leader to come and void, which makes the customers angry at the cashier, when they are standing in line forever.

You are not allowed to put products with an @ sign,
  more... so say your customers have 5 products you can't go 5@ and then scan item, you MUST scan it all individually or you will be written up or fired.
You have to scan each individally which can make it where you can accidently double scan.

In the "good old days" we used to use the @ sign with no issues. It's a ridiculous rule. They have cameras to keep an eye on staff, but they claim the cashier rules are for security, I call it nonsense. In the good ol days we didn't have this nonsense and didn't have problems with theft either.

Most enjoyable part of job:
Job wasn't for me, some customers are nice, but others are pretty rude. You should definatley love customer service, since you will have to have tough skin to deal with rude customers because of the needless cashier rules that makes customers even more angry and needlessly makes your job harder.
Pros
Cons
lots
disrespectful people, wasn’t working as much as i wanted to
retail (Current Employee) –  Lacombe, AB4 October 2018
dollerama was fun when i first worked there but now that i know everyone i came to realize they were not the nicest people and they dropped my hours so i don’t work as much as i’d like to
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
don’t work enough
Great company to work for
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON2 October 2018
I had the opportunity to work at three of dollarama’s locations in Ajax and Pickering. Working at each location was a different experience, I learned a lot about the company. Great environment to work in, the employees become your family there. The managers are very accommodating and try to work around your schedule.
Injoyed my jobs
Retail personal (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 October 2018
Stocking shelves,cleaning store,helped customers with finding and buying products.unloading trucks and putting the boxes in storage room in proper lane.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Poor management at times
Loved it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC1 October 2018
Loved the customer service aspect of this position. I love people and the connection you get with regulars. I loved helping those who would come in. I love dealing with people
fun and stress free work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  2435 Appleby line, Burlington, ON L7L0B630 September 2018
I still work there but it is a really lovely job. I have high anxiety and depression so having a low-stress job is ideal. I also get sick a lot and they were always very understanding about that.
Pros
stress free
Cons
not enough hours
Horrible Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC26 September 2018
Terrible Management. Your work schedule will vary from 5 to 30 hours/week. It is a pretty much on-call position. Even if you did your shift for a week, they will call you on a regular basis because of the lack of staff they have.

The company treats their employees as potential criminals. Even the district manager comes to check your bag whether you stole anything from the store or not.

The store is usually busy. Customers are not just rude, some of them are actually dangerous. High pressure, massive work, but low pay.

I got physical injuries from work, but they did not do anything of course. IT WAS NOT WORTH TO WORK AT ALL!
Pros
Cons
Toxic environment, no set schedule, dangerous customers, low pay
Good workplace for students and part-timers
Assistant Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 September 2018
A typical day is quite busy and involves a fast-paced environment but it is rewarding especially if you're a student because of the flexible hours. It's hard to work full-time though depending on the store because hours are hard to come by. I learned pretty much all aspects of retail from this job. Hardest part of the job is the constant need to maintain the store and restock since it's a fast-paced environment. Management is great and working with other coworkers and making friends is rewarding.
Pros
Flexible hours, learn fast and proper merchandising and point of sales operation
Cons
Short weekly hours (difficult to get hours), fast-paced and very busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.