Dollarama

Canada2,996 reviews

Found 2,996 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,038 reviews
cashshelfstorecashierstockingaislestockskid

Stressful depending on location

Going up in the company is super easy, however the location is everything. Also is usually very unstaffed. Once full time though, benefits are really good and cover a lot of things.

Pros

Benefits with full time

Cons

Long Hours, Customers can be rude

Emploi pour étudiant

Manque d'heures régulièrement. 25 heures en moyenne.

Insights into Dollarama

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Fast-Paced, Great for engaging in customer service!

A typical day of work at Dollarama Corporation was very fast-paced, sociable, and enjoyable. I enjoyed the rotation between cash and stock. Overall the most enjoyable was being able to interact with customers and meet their needs.The management for Dollarama, Keswick, could be greatly improved. There was no solid management at the location I worked, and it caused a lot of unprofessionalism.

apply if you're a teenager or if you're desperate

this is the worst company ive worked for. management and home office couldn't care less about you. if you're a high school student its a decent job but you'll hate your life 80% of the time

Bad company but great employees and time for your day

Listen, it’s not bad or good place to work at depending what location you select. The pay is not enough for this job because the company doesn’t even care they only want $$$. However, the location I choose has the best management & co workers I proudly made friends with. It’s an very easy and fast paced job (so wear comfortable clothing including shoes!) hours go by so fast because there’s so many customers come in and go. On your first day, you’re probably gonna be working on cashier. The cashier screen is very simple. You will be confused for the first 15-25 mins but that’s alright because the employees will happily to help you knowing the company is bad at training people. After hour at cashier, you will get used to it and say this isn’t bad but wait until you meet the customers. Because of this reputation we have in dollarama customers wouldn't really care if you clean that area or get easily impatient. You’re gonna get the Karens in your life too. You’re also gonna get the annoying kids when it’s back to school who don’t know how to count and gonna get voids or cancellations. (Avoid cancellations as much as possible because the company the silly hqs really does care about that) But that’s normal, you’re always going to get really bad customers in your day and don’t let a customer ruin your day. Like I said, cashier is easy and if you’re not confident in money DON’T WORRY the cash actually tells you how much you pay back. When you’re merchandising, it’s different and not bad at all you’re away from customers most of the time and you’re doing your own thing. The only -

Terrible Management

The work itself is fairly easy - stocking, merchandising, cashing out customers. The only good part. There's a high turn around for a reason. Upper management doesn't care, in fact they will tell you to your face that you are replaceable. Store managers take no accountability for their actions and will pin it all on lower level management. Training consists of watching a 20 year old video about merchandising, completed outdated and irrelevant. Then you are shoved on to the cash register and left on your own. Being promoted is easy because everyone leaves. Pay is pathetic for the amount of work you do. It's "negotiable" but what that means is they'll tack on 25 cents after you threaten to contact hr. No communication between management at all, store manager doesn't even train employees.Managers get bonuses, but they're useless since the amount they give you gets taxed so much that you end up with less on your paycheck than what you would've had without the bonus. Rest of the staff get nothing but a dollarama gift card at Christmas.Schedules are made on a weekly basis, so good luck trying to make plans. Shifts aren't guaranteed every week, you get thrown on whenever. Hours are bismal- full time hours at dollarama are 25 hours/week. Trying to book time off is pointless because the manager doesn't care to keep track and you'll be scheduled anyway. Quite possibly the most toxic environment to work in.

Pros

Easy merchandising, mostly flexible hours

Cons

No set hours, hard to book time off, no communication

Repeated Work Everyday

For busy stores, you got more hours to work but they never give a bonus or any incentive for high sales. For stores not too busy, expect fewer working hours and pay is good compared to work.

Do not work here

I worked for the company for 2 years, that cannot provide hours for a regular adult to survive, pay your bills, and make a living, they are not very accommodating at all if you have a 2nd job. Their proporties are not very good.BUT depending on the store you might find a great friend in a coworker. Other then that I don't recommend.

Don’t waste your time

Management sucks customers are the worst you’ll get i know retail sucks in general but it is definitely a scam to work there. not an enjoyable work place..

Pros

50$ gift card at christmas

Cons

everything else

Work life balance

I appreciated how flexible scheduling was. I also was very flexible in return when needed. Co workers were great to work with. Day goes fast. Good starting out job into retail as you will be cross trained to do many tasks.

Lively

Wonderful experience to work there ! I started here as a fresher and during my work ; I learnt and learning lot of things that will help me to acquire project management skills.

Only if you're desperate!

No consistency. Poor management and leadership. Disorganized. Low pay for expected work demands. You have no life once you're hired as a member of the management team. You're expected to work whenever they demand, even on holidays. Treated unfairly in a very dramatic environment. If you aren't a "favorite" you will be made miserable. If they don't like you they do petty things like cut hours, give you closing shifts or all cash shifts to push you to quit. It's against their "policies" but upper management encourages it to be done.

Just ok

It was good while it lasted. Some of my co workers were the best part while i was there. Good starter job and works with my schedule. But i think Management Should have pay more to their employees.

It's okay for a first job but don't stick around too long

At first, it was an exciting first job, however overtime management started introducing unnecessary rules that made it harder for cashiers to do their job. On top of that, there was never enough staff in the store to be backup cashiers. The manager would always put ONLY one cashier and most of the staff would always be in the backroom and you'd be there struggling by yourself while customers in line give you dirty looks. Also the pay does not match the amount of work you have to do in the store. Especially if you work at a bigger location with little staff, it's just not worth the pay. Lastly, there's too much favouritism among the staff because majority come from the same background and always speak there language.

Pros

Nothing much

Cons

Long hours, not enough staff available to help, poor management, favouritism

Very hard work

Company doesn't care about their employees. Big employee turnover and management burn- out. They will work you past your healthy limits, until you drop.

Pros

Some nice coworkers

Cons

Lots, as already mentioned

A temporary solution.

The people were nice. It is a decent job, if you are lacking options, but there is no work/life balance. The pay to work ratio is WAAAY out of whack.

Fun

Working here was great! It was a good after school job when I was in high school.fair hours great people got to stock new stores and lots of room for improvement

Ok place to work

Had pretty good experience working at Dollarama. My location did not have self checkout so I was a constant cashier. Personally prefer being cashier than stocking since time goes fast. My manager was not that strict but make sure to avoid theft at cash if you notice. Stocking is a fun change of pace if you don’t like interacting with customers. I sucked at socializing but cashing is simple compared to stocking where I had no idea where items were and was unable to answer customers questions about where specific items were.

pire travail

discrimination et gérant ayant un comportement déplacé avec ses employés (parfois mineurs)

Bonne expérience

Cet emploi est parfait pour toi si tu sais travailler rapidement et tu aimes progresser dans ton travail.

Pros

Espace repas avec micro-ondes, bon environnement, formation rapide et pertinente.

Cons

Courtes pauses.

Horrible management

They have ridiculous policies, with most of what they’re deciding it’s like they’ve never actually worked a day of retail in their lives. If you’re a student who closes with nothing to do don’t expect they’ll let you study even for a minute. You’ll get thrown under the bud and you’ll be treated horribly no matter how hard you work. Never work for this company even if desperate.

Pros

Cons

Toxic environment, horrible management, types of customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement