Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,684 reviews matching the search See all 1,708 reviews
Not a fun place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 August 2018
I worked for Dollarama perhaps about 6 weeks before I had enough of it.
They have a very extensive training program for higher up positions in management. There is 3 weeks of training at a training store, then 3 weeks at a coaching store where you applied what you learned at your training store under supervision and then there is 2 or 3 weeks at a unique environment store where you will help out at a specific location with set up, inventory or max fill.
Dollarama is very sales driven and they will push you to put out as much stock as possible.
I worked in different cities and the work environment was different at each of them. Some were nice, others were not, which my review is about.
On several occassions I got yelled at by the store manager that was training me. One specific event, I ended up in tears as I was just yelled at extensively in the middle of the store. I spoke to the District Manager who was very friendly and would talk to the Store Manager but even after that there was uncomfortable tension.
I moved on to the next store with the hopes of a better work environment but it was mostly the same. Although I wasn't yelled at in the store, I was often called to the office and told my performance wasn't good enough but no information on how to improve so I was left to struggle on my own which was hard to make decisions or delegate within my role.
On my last day there I heard the Store Manager talk about me in a negative way to a person I did not know. That disrespect was my final straw.

That being said, the upper management is fairly good. The District Manager
  more... and Regional Manager are nice people and definitely seem like they want their employees to succeed.
I also had to travel to some surrounding cities but they pay back mileage as well as hotel stays and meals. As an assistant manager or store manager you have the chance to help out in stores around the country for which all expenses will be covered.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Expected to work long hours with no notice
very busy work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 August 2018
the job was ok very busy long hours on your feet poor work place bad managment lazy cow workers but was an ok job other then that was not there long ..
Pros
its money
Cons
lazy workers and manager
Fast paced
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 August 2018
Typical day involves

- Tearing down skids
- Cycle counts
- Merchandising assigned aisles
- Cashier when needed
- As a supervisor, I'm responsible for any voids or customer issues
a cashier may have.

Our location is a fast paced location, which can become stress full at times but we have such a great team that we get through it with a smile and a few laughs. Always helps to have good management behind you to help you through the tough spots.
Ok place to work
STORE MANAGER / OPTIMIZATION LEADER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2018
Had a good experience of traveling. Job was awarding with the people one meets and some of the challenges I was given.. Expect to work a long hours, with not much of a life.
Some district managers were great, some were not.

Would I recommend to work there....no, but yes if you want to be over worked and under paid with no life.

On the positive side, sure met some wonderful people and had some great times and experiences working there. I gained more experience, was trusted to complete assignments on time and thanked many times for jobs well done.
Pros
Meeting people and working as a team
Cons
Long hours with not greatest pay for what one is responsible for.
Working at Dollarama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON11 August 2018
When I worked at Dollarama I learned many new things. I really enjoyed doing the inventory each day and helping customers find what they where looking for.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Conflicting hours
dollarama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  2469 Highway 97 N Kelowna, BC10 August 2018
Working at Dollarama was easy, i'd shock shelves in my section, and go on cash when needed, overall I wasn't happy there anymore and decided to leave.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management
Held Back
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2018
No chances for advancing in the work place. Also not the greatest work environment or hours given for specific tasks that are done throughout the day.
Great meeting new customers
Cashier/Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON9 August 2018
Well work your butt off and don't get offered keys but the next people we hire you can train them and help them and they can get keys. Great getting to meet new customers and all the normal ones.
Easy but unreliable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2018
I worked for only three months at Trainyards because they messed up my transfer to another store, the manager left and I couldnt track her down so I lost my job there. Also the training is not the best, they show you how to work cash once or twice and that's it, and they dont clarify any rules, cash access is limited so when you make a tiny mistake you need to bring in management so you feel kinda stupid. Also, no safety training!
Allas, it was pretty good, I really liked my coworkers as they were all nice. You dont really get benefits or a discount but i didnt care since its a dollar store. I only worked weekends until Christmas time where i had more hours so i had all my evenings off.
I wouldnt return if they asked me back, not worth it but I guess its a good starter job.
Don't work here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 August 2018
This place is the worst job to work at

Management is the absolute worst. They hate their jobs so in return they take it out on you. They give you the worst hours but they expect you to have everything done which was unrealistic. If you didnt have the things done that they expected of you you got wrote up.

The management and higher ups don't care about their employees they just care about making money and meeting certain quotas. I know that is business but they could show a bit of gratitude for the employess who work there because they are the ones who make "management" look good.
Stressful and Toxic work conditions.
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 August 2018
Shifts tend to drag on. I am not give any chances to work to the best of my ability because I will then have people mad at me for working too slow. Manager is very much not understanding and talks about their employees behind their backs. Key holders act like they are above everyone else and talks down to us. Employees expect you to know what you are supposed to do, even when you are new at the specific job.
Cons
Toxic, stressful environment
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 August 2018
I enjoyed my time working there. I was there for about 2 years.
I learned a lot and was always busy at the store.

Time really went fast whenever got it busy.

Great place for someone looking for their first job.
Pros
Good Envionment
safe and fun work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON2 August 2018
Employees are always welcoming they treat you like family and with every shift you always have fun. you will never feel unsafe at work all staff always have your back
Merchandise & Cash
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 August 2018
At dollarama You mostly do everything. Sometimes you will be cash & other days you will be stock. Sometimes you clean and organize stuff that aren’t supposed to be there.
Pros
Gift cards
Cons
Serious rules.
Great People, Great Place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tantallon, SK2 August 2018
I loved working at the dollarama there is always something to be doing. And everyone there is very helpful. If i could live off of working there i would have stayed.
Love
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON31 July 2018
GOOD PLACE TO WORK
GOOD PEOPLE
GOOD DISCOUNTS
GOOD PAY
GOOD HOURS
i loved my manager, i really loved coming into work, good energy and good motivaton
very educational and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2018
during my time spent there, I learned many skills that would be beneficiary to my future work life. my typical day at work would involve a lot of cashiering and stocking up the shelves and executing many after store hour duties such as brooming, moping and even taking out the garbage.
Pas assez d'heure
Responsable des clés (Current Employee) –  Drummondville, QC31 July 2018
On a pas assez d'heure et trop de travaille à effectuer pour le nombre d'employé présent sur le plancher. Ils nous prennent pour des machines.
Cons
courtes pauses et pas assez d'heure
productive and promising.
Distributor (Current Employee) –  5555, Royal Mount,Montréal, QC30 July 2018
The company is imbued with due respect for human rights. The company is entrenched with high level of integrity, discipline and and honesty. The company has zero tolerance for acts of harassment, bullying or any form of tribalism. It is a good place to work anyway save for the fact that the job entails some physical strength and thus stressful.
Pros
security of personal belongings
Cons
Short Hours (hours incomplete)
They needed more organization among the staff and schedules.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 July 2018
The schedule was disorganized and I was given very little hours due to minimum wage increase. The training was sloppy and unethical. The relations among the staff often wasn't positive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.