Dollarama logo
Happiness score is 53 out of 100Below average

Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 2,713 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,755 reviews

Family like dynamic

Its a family like dynamic in a fast paste environment Management is great and so is the teams you work with Although pay could be a little more

Pros

Paid break

Cons

No benefits

Put pressure as well as selfish environment

I have worked dollarama two weeks.In the orientation. They tell us that they will give us hours.But when they have their work done And all stock merchandisedThey start giving you excuses for not giving hours. They just give 4 to 8 hours in a week.Which is also divided in 4 hours each.They alwayd pressure the work to do fast , do fast .

Pros

No advantages just a time waste.

Just depends

This specific location, the team was amazing management not so much. If you love to just work & less interactive, good place for you otherwise stay away. Stressful for the timing. Very less hours. No benefits.

Pros

Team

Cons

Manager, short hours

Odd but interesting workplace

Everyone is a great time to be around while working but once there are no customers and you are stuck at cash for the day, it’s brutal. I do not recommend if you always need something to do because there is nothing to do other than ring customers in when you are held at cash. Stocking isles are super fun tho! Even tho they only allow the older/more experienced workers to do the isles.

Pros

Flexible hours, easy going management, wear your own clothes

Cons

Last minute schedules, no paid lunches, customers

Poor

Do not receive proper training.High expectation without pay increase.Was made to work during my pre arranged vacation period.General Manager hired a friend as Assistant Manager instead of qualified in store staff member (not refering to myself I never wanted the position).

Pros

Lots of hours

Cons

Unsafe work conditions(told no one to break down skids alone then made to do so)

Super laid back place to work. Most of my co-workers were really nice and easy to approach when I needed help. Owner was strict though. Daily tasks include stocking shelves, putting away unwanted items, cashier and answering customers questions

Pros

Nice people

Fun place to work

At my time working here I almost instantly connected with coworkers and made lots of friends including some managers. Everyone was incredibly nice and welcomed me with opened arms. The work is definitely very fast paced especially with the amount of customers.

Pros

Friendly and understanding people, some shared snacks in break room

Cons

Some managers don’t give very good instruction on what you’ll be doing during your shift.

Esprit d'équipe

J'aime beaucoup l'environnement de travaille, très agréable

One big family

Everyone gets along great. The management is awesome. Both fun and easy to get along with but, strict when need be. Everyone is like one big family here. I love it! Every work day, you go in not knowing what you’ll be doing that day, you’re either on cash, stocking shelves, keeping count of customers in the store due to Covid, ect. It’s honestly such a great environment, obviously retail isn’t always a breeze, it does get stressful at times but, having great coworkers and managers really helps. It is a fast paced job, you work hard and always on the go, wether that’s stocking shelves, cashing people out, helping customers, facing and cleaning…. There’s always something to do, something that needs improvement and if you’re not sure, the managers will gladly instruct you on what you should do and they always make sure you fully understand and that they’re there if you need any help. Coworkers as well, and everyone is just so friendly. It’s honestly such a healthy, fun, and amazing place to work at! I’ve worked retail my whole life, but this company and especially this location, feels like a second family. I love my job and I love the people I work with. It’s a great company with amazing people, and really can’t stress that enough:)

Pros

Management, Coworkers, Fast-paced, Room for advancement, Flexible

Cons

Lack of hours, Location, Low pay for the work being done

Room for growth and advancement in your career. As long as you work hard.

Been with the company for under 2 years. Great leadership qualities and a hard work ethic pays dividends. Starting salary could be a bit higher. But achievable if you have a great work ethic and experience.

Pros

Flexible schedule, benefits, Career advancement

Cons

Rude Customer's sometimes

Jobs at Dollarama

See more jobs

Productive, Respectful, and Helpful

When I was their people were helpful, respectful, and when something went wrong they were their to help. I like my co-workers because they were nice to me.

Pros

Extended enough hours in break time when needed

Cons

Not enough hours

Don’t work here as management team

Super untrained and poor management team with 80’s management style. If you’re working as part-time associates then it’s fine but if you’re working as ATL/TL then just be ready for a lot of unreasonable scolding and yelling and shouting. The store manager is incompetent to be a manager. I’ve seen staff worked extra hours but unpaid for a month and the manager saw it but never do anything about it. The manager will throw tantrums during the walk in the morning before the store opening. The store hired a lot of staff but the store manager doesn’t check through the schedule properly, every day is understaffed during the operation time but lots of hours are given to the night stock group. The schedule is so screw up every day that they want you to be the backup 24/7. Call you into work for the last minute and never respected that people do have life plans. When you highlight the problem and ask for help, the manager will tell you “it’s the dollarama way! Just do it!”How to scrub the store floor when you only have 2 staff during night shifts?No team-building, no teamwork, expect everyone work as a robot as they don’t encourage staffs to have private & personal relationships. They don’t encourage staff to exchange text msgs or hang out after work. Whoever get the job here just run away. I’m sure you can find something better!

Pros

Part-Time associates are awesome and helpful

Cons

Worst management ever

I would work there again! For sure.

I was only seasonal but would have liked to have worked there permanently. Management was great everyone was fun to work with. I was sad to go. It was a good experience for me and it was nice to always have money in my pocket because my son had started College. It was nice to start early because I was a morning person anyways and always home for dinner.

Pros

Flexible hours and days, Great training and easy going Owner's\

Cons

Going to work in the dark in the winter.

You will never be appreciated

Its almost impossible to get 40 hours a week even as a supervisor. They will constantly say they are going to move you up but never have the "hours to train you" and the pay is totally not worth how much work you are actually doing.

Best work experience I've ever had!

Dollarama was my utmost fav place to work. I was always treated with respect and loved the open door confidentiality policy, they gave fun work, and never too much pressure. Great atmosphere to work in. Very organized, clean. Professional with big hearts.

Pros

Bonus Gift cards

Cons

Never leave cause they won't take you back

Great first job with room for advancement

my only complaint was the fact that I feel as though I put more time and effort into the job than other people who had been there for longer than I have and still made more money than me. I understand that over there longer period of time they might have received raises, but as I took promotion after promotion and small pay raise after small pay raise I was still below them even though I had more responsibilities and contributed more to the company. I feel as though the manager should be able to voice their opinion on the pay of employees as they know who does what and who deserves what.

Long hours, hard work

As a manager you are scheduled 50 hrs/wk plus whatever extra is needed. The work is very fast paced (4-6 skids/day) and physically demanding. On the upside management is paid hourly, not salary, so you get overtime after 44 hrs.

Pros

Management is paid hourly not salary

Cons

Long hours and very physically demanding. Not much room for growth.

Fun work place but unsupportive Head office.

HR and Management is not supportive at all. Worst for immigrants. Loyalty and integrity does not matter at all. No one will come and stand by you and support you. You work with all dedication and all your heart and you get a 0 in return.

Beaucoup de positif, mais aussi de négatif..

Pour quelqu'un comme moi qui aime autant travailler à la caisse que sur le plancher, c'est une entreprise parfaite. En moins de quelques mois j'avais fait mes preuves et j'étais rendu responsable (assistante chef d'équipe), alors pour les possibilités d'avancement dans l'entreprise j'ai rien à reprocher. Ils donnent de super bons avantages sociaux (assurance maladie, dentaire, retraite avec collaboration de l'employeur,etc), mais il faut que tu sois considérer temps plein pour y accéder (avoir travaillé 16semaines consécutives avec minimum 25h/semaine)! Ça été long pour y arriver étant donné que le nombre d'heures donné chaque semaine au magasin, n'est jamais le même. Pour l'ambiance c'est comme n'importe où, du moment que le staff du magasin est correcte et que tout le monde sentend bien, c'est très agréable à travailler. Points négatif pour le stress que donne les cadres supérieurs, Il faut toujours changer des choses sur le plancher vu que les commandes sont jamais les même, c'est vraiment comme jouer à tetris à toute les semaines (même jour). Et faut que ça soit fait avec une grosse rapidité (assez rapide pour eux).. C'est une compagnie qui veut avant tout que son staff soit travaillant et surproductifs.. Pour quelqu'un qui veut une job relaxe et ne pas avoir à trop bouger, c'est pas la bonne place. Mais pour quelqu'un qui est travaillant, actif et qui veut une job dynamique, c'est très bien!

Pros

Avantages sociaux, Possibilité d'avancement

Cons

Courtes pause, ambiance facilement stressante et surproductive

I like working there

It was nice working there and the people are very nice i like to be with people the manager was very nice i like doing defferent stuff and see defferent peoples

Was a lot of fun

Very close family oriented, everyone got along with each other. I really enjoyed my time working there. Everyone worked good together no complaints about this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement