Dogtopia

Dogtopia Employee Reviews

Canada47 reviews
Management is awesome! Willing to work with you. Pay isn’t the best but it’s worth being with the dogs. It is a lot of work, not just petting dogs all day. Coworkers are amazing easy to work with and it’s like a big family. I would recommend working at Dogtopia Burlington.
Pros
Management, co-workers, and the dogs.
Cons
A lot of work for the amount being paid.
I was fired after a new boss came to place, I couldn’t come in for my shift because I had an anxiety attack and that should be no reason to let go of someone. The front desk people were rude and you don’t learn anything from them.
I love Dogtopia Barrie! The staff was welcoming and friendly when I started and the general manager makes you feel like part of the team right away.
With the extensive training I received I feel like I have learned soooo much about dogs and their behaviors already, Its not all glamorous and playing with pups all the time as there is lots of cleaning up after the dogs but I was made aware of this in the interview process so it wasn't a surprise. For the first time ever I love going to work every day. Thank You Dogtopia!
Pros
Work with Dogs, Friendly Co-Workers, Great Management, Excellent atmosphere
Cons
None that I have seen
Probably one of the worst run businesses I have ever had the misfortune of working for. They should all be shut down by animal services, and everyone who works there should be charged
Cons
The district manager does not know how to run a business. The workplace is completely unsafe. Most places cap out at a max of 10-16 dogs per coach whereas Dogtopia lets you get injured in a room with 20+ dogs for one coach. I made friends there and loved the dogs but management ruined it. I lost ours because a friend of the manager wanted full time hours. There is absolutely no loyalty from this company. They do not care how much work you put in. Half the time they are more concerned about making money than they are about the dogs safety and well being. Overall, I had a very bad experience with this employer.
Pros
Playing with dogs and meeting other animal lovers
Cons
too competitive, no respect and lack of loyalty
This place has no clue what they are doing. It's very disorganized, unprofessional and the management is a joke. Was treated very unfairly during my time there and the fact that the owners don't even live in the same province and have no clue what is actually happening with their investment is crazy to me. The pay is terrible for the stress of the job (and that's when they actually pay you. I had to wait over a month for my first pay check because no one knew what they were doing) and yes they reel you in with "you get to play with dogs all day" but this is very far from the truth. I would steer clear if I were you, but don't say I didn't worn you.
Pros
dogs
Cons
long hours, minimum wage, stressful, disorganized, lack of management, unprofessional atmosphere, lack of communication, no leadership, untrustworthy
You're expected to be in a room alone with 25/30 dogs and break up fights by yourself, even with walkie talkie communication no one will assist or even cover you so you can use the bathroom. They allow dogs that are dangerous to be in the room (dogs who bite humans, or are trouble makers with other dogs). Prepare to be covered in all kinds of feces and urine during your shift, the dogs aren't given a designated place to go potty in the room so the majority of your job is cleaning up after them multiple times an hour because they want to "mark" their scent everywhere. You're expected to implement coaching techniques to the dogs and do wellness checks every hour and clean the room top to bottom at close. The amount of work you're given is RIDICULOUS for the pay. The only pro to this job is the connections you make with some of the dogs. If you're unlucky enough to have management at your location things are probably even worse. You can expect to be used and lied to, given 38 hours for your schedule only to be cut to 8 hours later in the week with no warning. CEO clearly cares more about animals than she does her own employees. If you need a job and must work here, apply for shift lead instead.
Best job ever! You get to play with dogs all day! As a K9 Coach, the ability to train dogs, care for them and play with them is a dream come true! Highly recommend this job to everyone that has a love for dogs!
I didn't enjoy working alone in the playrooms with a ton of large dogs, felt it was unsafe and unfair for dogs who were not comfortable being out in play the entire time. more about satisfying the customer the welfare of the pet.
I work at Applewood as a coach and have absolutely nothing bad to say about the location, staff or coworkers. No bad reviews you see here are regarding this location. Management is honestly the best I’ve ever worked with. The job isn’t for everyone, though. You will get tired, physically and mentally. Most people might think the job is all about petting dogs all day and that’s a serious misapprehension. If you’re ok standing for hours being active and of course love dogs, you won’t regret taking the job.
I can't provide much detail without identifying myself, so I'll just say it's worth the extra time and costs to travel to the next closest doggy daycare. There can't be a more ... daycare to work at.
The condescending nature of the way you’re spoken to is enough to absolutely destroy your mental health. What starts out as a pretty exciting and often overwhelming and stressful little career quickly turns into an absolute high school nightmare filled with immature women. It’s incredibly rewarding working with dogs and it’s very easy to become invested in the work. It’s hard not to care about the dogs. It’s truly pathetic how they present themselves to the public and then turn around and treat the staff like the waste the dogs leave behind. On top of putting older and smaller dogs in dangerous situations. Putting 50+ dogs in a chaotic room completely ignoring the dogs that are absolutely terrified because “they need those numbers”. Everything rolls downhill so whatever problem the front end is having, and they’re always having problems with the blatant disorganization due to absolute archaic methods of recording anything and treating people on top of the incredibly incompetent staff they regard as “front end management”. Certain staff members will be reprimanded for something while others can do the same thing and be presented with a blind eye. Understand that you are not good enough before you start as that’s how you will be treated.
Felt like high school with all the gossip they are very good at painting the business into a pretty picture don’t fall for it management constantly talks about employees behind their back instead of speaking to them directly if there’s a issue
HOWEVER

working with dogs are great if you think you can go to work and stand in the rooms and keep your head down then try but I don’t recommend
Enjoyed being trained and working with the dogs. Unfortunately too much immature chaos goes on between employees and I had to focus hard not to get dragged down by the negativity.
Pros
The dogs and the business owners are awesome
Cons
People are over spoken and lack basic emotional intelligence skills.
This job isnt for everyone. It can definitely be a fast paced, occasionally stressful environment. But when you get a handle on a busy room of dogs it sure feels great.
You learn all the dogs names and build personal relationships with all of them.

Can be messy, but its worth it.

Great management through and through, and a great culture and team. The dogs and people make it feel like home.
This is a terrible work place and I would not recommend it to anyone. The Manager is completely unapproachable and acts inappropriately. If you're not a favorite of the Manager or Owner then good luck. But if you are a favorite
then you can do no wrong at all apparently. Decisions are made in a split second, communication is so terrible. Nobody can say anything because their jobs are at stake. The fact that the job "looks cool and fun" is held over your head, you feel totally replaceable because "everyone wants to work here". No security, no confidentiality, can't speak up. The environment is unhealthy, the rooms are small, no air circulation, and pay is low for amount of work.
Dogs and staff are treated like they dont exist here it's all about the money. The dogs are and always will be amazing but seriously knocked my confidence because managers are so shady. The overall manager/ owner of NS, BC and ON is an awful manager. It says here in other reviews about the Ontario location and I can only assume it's true. The dogs are unhappy and it's all a money grab. Pet parents are lied too. Staff are sad and are confused as the general manager is not suitable for his role at all. Most staff were lovely and seriously under appreciated. There was one or two bullies unfortunately including management.
Training wasn’t well done. They treated the employees as if they were unworthy of fair wages, didn’t pay for the full amount of time & the pay was pennies for the work put in. When this all was brought to their attention, they dodged it — then continued to expect more of their employees. Improper supervision. Didn’t handle things in a professional manner at all. Also lied to their customers/‘pet parents’ about care.
My experience working at Dogtopia Coquitlam has been nothing but amazing! The management team is incredible and they really show that they value you as a person and not just as an employee. All the people working there make coming to work fun and when you're working with dogs it's near impossible to have a bad day. I would recommend working at Dogtopia Coquitlam to anyone.
I've had several minimum wage jobs and this one by far tops the cake. Management is so accommodating and kind. Although sometimes stressful, I love being around the dogs. This definitely isn't the job for a neat freak, but if you're an animal lover you should apply! I've never worked at a job that felt so much like a team. I am excited to come to work and see all the people and the dogs. I've learnt so much about myself and what I want in my life from this job. You build connections with the dogs as if they were your own.
Staff here are lovely people (Bar maybe one person) Management are however shocking. Pet parents are paying through the nose for bad service. Shady, ego inflated deceptive GM. Small. No open air space. Falling apart due to shoddy cheap building work even though only just opened. Staff are scared to speak to management because of how intimidating they are
Any kind of concern is addressed ignorantly and insufficiently resulting in bad practice and terrible communication.