Dogs Naturally Magazine

Dogs Naturally Magazine Employee Reviews

No more growing pains
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Thornton, ON18 January 2020
Dogs Naturally has worked hard to improve the work environment. When I started there were a bunch of employees who all hung out together. While this sounds like fun (and it was), it divided the company. Soon, you could see they would be treating the people who weren't in their circle pretty bad. They would talk about them behind their backs, whisper at each other, make faces . There were suggestive body parts drawn everywhere, lewd jokes, immature behavior and worst of all, nobody was accountable for doing a good job. I was often left to do their job and I felt really bad for the managers who had to deal with them. It wasn't good, there was a big divide in the company.

Maybe my experience is different because I wasn't part of the "cool kid" crowd. I do a good job, I've been given opportunities to learn and contribute and I'm definitely making a lot more money today than when I was hired.

Work life is better now and that's because they got rid of the people who were a problem. Negative feedback isn't always fun to get but I want to know how to do a better job so I like it here. There have been some changes to roles and jobs but the company is growing fast and we're expected to change too.

Personally, I'm happy to now be in an office with less drama and I look forward to coming to work every day. I think when you get away with childish behavior for so long and then management notices and demands better, the cool kids will put up a stink and I'm happy that's mostly over with.

I like coming to work every day (who wouldn't there are dogs here) Yes there are growing
  more... pains but I'm definitely going to stick it out and see where it goes for sure.  less
I stuck around for far longer than I should have, and it took its toll…
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON17 January 2020
The standards set are impossible to reach, often because they’re ill-defined (if they’re defined at all) and ever-changing. Company rules/policies change on a weekly basis. You’re “encouraged to go for the moon” but good luck ever reaching it.

Very harsh, daily, negative criticism is disguised as “feedback” or a “valuable learning opportunity,” from which one actually learns very little aside from the knowledge that the work done is not good enough (and that’s sugar coating it). When words like idiot, stupid, and garbage are used, you can no longer consider it constructive.

Despite leadership’s attempts to convince employees otherwise, there is a deep, very detrimental, divide between management and the rest of the team. This separation results in a culture not of respect, but of fear. There’s absolutely no accountability. When something goes wrong, the management team plays the ultimate blame game (mind you, none of the blame ever falls on them). Any attempt to resolve an issue with a member of the management team is interpreted as a personal attack on that person, and a sign that the employee has issues with authority.

When things get really bad (and I mean, really bad), the management team will attempt to “fix” things with a team lunch, or by talking to you about growth in the company. So you push through the pain, work harder (if that’s possible), put in longer hours, only to get pushed back down again…

Be forewarned, the work you do will never be good enough. The hours you put in (and no, an 8 hour day with no lunch break is nowhere near good enough) will
  more... never be enough. Your attitude will never be good enough. Nothing at Dogs Naturally is EVER good enough.

People who stay do so because they know they’re doing great work, with a group of others all in the same boat. The other "regular" employees are the reason I stayed. There’s the constant hope that maybe, just maybe, it will somehow get better. It never does. I left several months ago after a rollercoaster of emotional months. Day after day I left the office holding in tears until I could get into my car. Leaving was the best move I could have ever made. Save yourself the trauma (and I do not use that word lightly) and apply somewhere else.
Real emotional abuse becomes your new normal.
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2020
It's very rare to talk about actual emotional abuse. Usually words like "abusive" or "traumatic" are thrown around fairly easily in day to day conversations. However, working at Dogs Naturally left me with actual, real emotional trauma.

I have been out of the company for a while now and I am still dealing with some of the emotional aftermath of working there.

It will all start looking great. The staff is friendly, everyone has a great sense of humor, the property is beautiful, dress code is super casual and there are 6 dogs at the office. What's not to like!

You put in your best day to day, wanting to offer the company the very highest quality of work you can, and at the beginning you are very much rewarded for your effort. Little by little however, your extra mile starts becoming the new standard and you start being gently shamed for not delivering.

After a while, full on aggression will start happening. Insults, yelling, management will start referring to you as "the cancer of the company" in conversations behind your back - and you will actually start feeling like the problem is in your attitude, so you try harder.

Management will fool you into trusting them and throw you under the bus without skipping a beat. They will approach you asking for personal opinions or what's happening in your personal life and immediately report it back to the CEO.

You'll eventually realize that there is now nothing that you can do to make things better and you start feeling fatigued. When leadership realizes you're at that stage, they will give you a small reward - i.e. a
  more... really good chat on your growth in this company, a Visa gift card or something as simple as Taco Tuesdays. Because of these little rewards you think that maybe you're just overthinking things and choose to give a positive attitude another go. Changes don't last very long and you are shortly back hating getting up every morning to go to work again.

This abuse cycle happens over and over again for years until you realize you have put your dignity in the back seat and just choose to take it because.... looking for a job sucks, right? Plus, your co-workers are awesome and you're all in it together.

It wasn't rare that I would feel humiliated, worthless and disrespected. I know I did the right thing for my mental health by quitting. AND STILL, I find myself having dreams in which the ownership changes their way and I come back. Or catch myself missing some fun part of the very people that would not think twice before insulting me right to my face. If you've ever been in an abusive relationship you would know exactly what I'm talking about. And if you haven't, trust me, you don't need to find out what it's like.

Instinctively, it's easy for me to think "why haven't my awesome co-workers quit yet?". But looking back at how much work it took for me to feel worth more, I understand it.

Maybe too personal a review, but I think its important to express the real personal damage this company caused me. I hope you never go through the same.
Pros
Taco Tuesday (sadly)
Cons
Constant emotional toll. No work-life balance.
Progressive and fun workplace.
Marketing Team (Current Employee) –  Thornton, ON11 January 2020
This is a fast paced and collaborative job. There is room to grow in the company and lots of training. Friendly team and you get to work in the trees and nature.

The hardest part of the job is there are high standards here and if you want to grow, you have to put in the work but they work with you on your grow plan. There's a casual, friendly vibe and I look forward to going to work every day. Plus there's dogs!
You will leave with PTSD
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Thornton, ON10 January 2020
In no job ever should you drive away crying on a regular basis. The culture is toxic. The only saving grace is the excellent team you work with daily.

Be wary of "managers" that are supposedly there to help you succeed in your position, they've been known to throw you under the bus to cover their own rear ends.

No matter the effort you put in, there is always a reason it will never be good enough, no good work/life balance encouraged at all.

What is presented as the front face of the company is a facade, whatever genuine care and integrity the company may have begun with has been tossed aside and now fear tactics, bullying, and greed are the mainstays.

Yes, run.
An awesome environment with room for growth
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Egbert, ON2 January 2020
A typical day at the Dogs Naturally Office consists of showing up, having a meeting or two, and getting work done. (Expect many laughs and dog pets in between as well.)

Working here has provided an immense amount of growth opportunities through professional training. Management is more than willing to invest in their employees and actively encourage them to find avenues of growth for themselves and the business. Go getters and ambitious folk will find their effort rewarded.

The crew is awesome and super friendly, there's an air of both working hard and being good at what you do, but also being comfortable and relaxed while doing it. Overall a great culture and a great place to work.
Pros
Dogs to Pet, Flex Hours, Boss that Values Employees
Cons
Roads to business aren't always well plowed
Working At Dogs Naturally Magazine
Promotions Manager (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 January 2020
I've worked at Dogs Naturally for 5 years now, and have been here through major changes and growth. Things got challenging at times, but I was able to take courses and build myself up with the support of my employer. It's been fun building our team, working on projects together, travelling and taking on new opportunities in my role. It's super casual, I show up in comfy clothes, but at the same time very professional. It's an umbrella of companies here that range from publishing, to ecommerce and digital sales. We're always encouraged to go for the moon, and trying new things is always an option! I love the people I work with, it's nice coming in to an office of people you feel comfortable around. We work hard and challenge each other! Great place to be!
Pros
country environment, no dress code