DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society

DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
A good place to work for if you are considered a minority. Otherwise, not a lot of consideration given. Good work hours. Office equipment not up to date. Great coworkers.
I worked as a Summer Student at DCRS and it gave me the exposure I needed for work in social services and it was a rewarding experience to help the community. The staff is amazing and it's a fun place to be.
strategy changes often, affecting productivity and morale. deceptive people cause problems with collaboration and create mistrust so the team is not united.
Unionized environment but don't expect that they follow union rules. Management is so bad that they just work to retire and get the benefits. Management is based on favoritism.
Terrible middle management. No supplies. Equipment is old and breaks down. Poor IT service. HR is inconsistent. Building in Newton is shabby. Mgmt is cheap.
Pros
Cons
Almost everything
Unionized environment where social workers get a 12 week ESL certificate and bump professional teachers out of their jobs.

Management is either rude, intrusive or negligent. Professional development is not a priority and in fact most of the 'true' teachers are guiding management. Band aids are used to tend to amputations while those who are suffering are given a 'nod and a thank-you' then completely ignored. Mouth work and no action.

These are all characteristics of a small department with more administrators than needed and fewer 'true' teachers than necessary. Government-funded paper pushers not programs.

TEACH SOMEWHERE ELSE and if you are a student GO TO A DIFFERENT SCHOOL. There are way too many other options available to both teachers and students in the Surrey area.
Pros
easy to quit
Cons
unionized, unprofessional, poorly managed
It depends on which department you work for. I can only speak for education - students (and feel free to ask any students of Diversecity whether this is true) are not cared for - they cycle through teachers every few months, never learning anything as a result, never progressing to what the point of this organisation is about - getting them to function in Canadian society.

Management is TERRIBLE. Yes it's a unionised environment but that means management is made up of former employees, employees at the top of seniority do NO work while new employees will be expected to go above and beyond what is expected at any teaching job.

Management is rude and inefficient and while this place USED to be great to work at, you only have to ask any teacher or student how things fare now, in comparison to other schools. You can rely on their feedback.

Additionally you will spend most of your time doing jobs not in your contract - moving desks, filling time sheets, dealing with broken photocopiers, more and more paperwork as they refuse to hire anything but the most basic skeleton staff.

Also worth noting, if they can get away without paying you by fiddling the math on the timesheets, or if you were to be without a job because of funding, expect them not to act professionally or fairly.
Pros
Good students
Cons
duties beyond contract, very poor management made up of former employees
Its a great company to work with.
A Lot to learn everyday

Experience with with diverse background and different languages

Very busy environment

Interaction with new immigrants
it is the best company for hiring that i found it is easy to apply and finsd desired job. irecommended to everybody to use it for better company for hiring
I really enjoyed working at this company. Excellent management team. You finished worked on time always. Were not expected to work over time unless absolutely needed.
Union environment. Management is not supportive. Bumping occurs with each contract so workers are never sure of their position in the company. Benefits are good as are vacations.
A unionized environment,diverse staff,cooperative and warm environment. managers and CEO are all very caring and cordial with the staff. Flexing work hours is very easy.
Pros
Well organized, excellent benefits
Cons
nothing worth mentioning
For people looking for an employer that is flexible and a job that is part-time where you have a choice of hours, this is a great place to work.
-call all the customer and confirm with them about their appointments.
- I learned so many things like how to organize the office and prepare all the files for the customers and how to do the statistics for the all immigrants,for example ,how many speaks Chinese language .

-the management was so good because it makes everything clear so everybody knows what it is their duties for the day.

my co-workers very friendly and handily we work as a team together - the hardest part was when sometimes speaks with different kind of peoples from different backgrounds.

- The most enjoyable part of the job is when I participate to prepare the celebration of the anniversary Diversity day .
A great source of help for new comers and staff are readily available to jump in and assist any way that they can. Very busy place with exposure to many different cultures.
Pros
constantly learning and growing
Cons
no proper training
Diversified co-workers where you can learn about different cultures.
As a non-profit, the society's focus is to be of service to immigrant clients, thus interesting to learn the use of fund accounting system.
Pros
With roof top where you can stay during lunch
My experience at DIVERSECity was outstanding, not only was I given a chance to work with diverse cultures but I was also given the chance to attend conferences to further my education as a ECCE. I loved the responsibilities of setting up daily art and circle lesson according to monthly themes; as well as, working as a team with my co-workers in monthly goals and successes of each child in our care. I enjoyed my time working at DIVERSECity and will carry all my learning experiences on with me onto my next employment.