District of West Vancouver

District of West Vancouver Reviews: Working at District of West Vancouver

Canada19 reviews

Fun place to work

No benefits unless you have full time contract.Otherwise nice place to work at , friendly coworkers and everyone helps each other out. Good place to start as an educational assistant

Great organization to work with!

Being a part of This organization has been the best thing in my life it feels like my family and my home. I highly recommend anyone looking for good opportunities to apply to West Vancouver.

Good place to work.

Great pay and benifits. Work is 5 days per week with two days off together. Split shifts for junior drivers. Straight shifts for senior drivers. Typical shifts Monday to Friday 6:AM to 6:PM with 3 to 4 hours off mid day. Some work on weekends and on statutory holidays. Great management team. Supervisors are very helpful. Training is provided and is very good.Great paid holiday time available after one year of employment. More than you would expect.

Pros

Free anual bus pass for one plus a spouse.

Cons

Split shifts, weekend work, working on statutory holidays.

Great Work with unfair pay

While the job I held was fairly easy, I did come to some issues with my pay. When I was hired, I was payed 3 dollars above minimum wage but as min wage grew, my pay did not. Newly hired workers were payed more than I was even after a year and a half of work and due to the casual position, I did not gain any seniority that could help me with my pay issues. This is not the reason I left the position

Not a good place to work

my experience with this employer was the worst I have had in my 25 years in the health and fitness industry. Management was unsupportive and unclear about expectations. Departments don’t communicate and the culture was not healthy.

Management does what they can for up grading skills..

But when hired you are called a temp. And can be fired at anytime with no reason . Till a permanent position comes up. And you have to apply. But if you had shaded previous information about your private life they use it as not to hire you as a full time employee. As usual the ones that is late all the time get moved up to better paying position. You need to be a yes person. Do not share when you are experiencing any kind of abuses. Even raciusm.

Pros

On an cocassion get breakie paid for

Cons

The forman say your luck today. Our supervisor got us a meal.

Corporate Environment

Incredibly hard working and dedicated staff. Unfortunately, there's a high turnover rate and people are always leaving because of the severe shortage of staff.

Pros

early hours so I have the rest of the day off

Cons

really early mornings either 2:30am or 5:30am start times

Terrible experience

Horrible communication, horrible environment. One of my worst experiences as a tech and human being. I would highly recommend for people to never apply there.

Pros

Nothing.

Cons

Horrible environment, zombie employees, terrible communication

Wish i was still there.

I was brought on in Nov right before the start of the lay off and snow season worked right through the winter with no shortage of hours. Pretty good for just getting on. Worked right up until I had some non work related issues arise that required all of my attention. My foreman, crew, supervisor and management supported and accommodated me for as long as they could before it was agreed that we should part ways for the time being. Wish I was still there loved it.

Pros

Great staff. Good Environment, support from the top (work/non work related)

Cons

The commute from Richmond.

just a job

it an ok job but i would like to see more regular hrs and a more secure work environment i am looking for a job that i like to go to in the morning and happy at the end of the day. the workplace culture is not conducive to a harmonious day

Pros

flexible work hrs

Cons

low work life balance

Glad I got hired, more glad I left

A disorganized Maintenance Department. It leads to a lot of frustrations in trying to get the job done. Not great moral. Might be due to the high turn over of Mechanics. There's no advancement or lateral movement in this organization. I'm really glad I left. The lustre wears off pretty quickly. And, even with the good Holidays it really doesn't make up for the short comings.

Pros

6 weeks Vacation

Cons

Toxic work environment

Great community centre for children to learn gymnastics

Working here includes teaching children from ages 6 months to 17 years. Culture is amazing - everyone is friendly and work hard. I've developed stronger verbal and written communication skills through this job, communicating with parents, kids, and coworkers.

Good group of coworkers, too much bureaucracy

Very large gap in communication between different departments and levels of management. Policy is very top down and some decisions are made too rash or often too slow. Management varied and often would make new policies to fit their decisions.

Initially a good place to work but the lustre wore off.

Worked there for a few years and found that middle management did not get proper support from upper management when union issues arose. It was difficult for management to operate as from all appearances the unions run the place. I believe it all comes from the top and since then have moved on to a couple of other organizations (local government as well) and found them to be more highly functioning than this organization. As well, salaries are kept lower so when you work here you are always job shopping. It's just the way it is. All said, I worked with some great people and got a few work plan issues completed. Those great people have also moved on and are happier elsewhere.

Pros

Great scenery on the waterfront, some nice and caring co-workers

Cons

Poor morale in general, poor salary and benefits, union members made more money than managers, poor support for managers from above, the unions run the show and managers are just there for appearance sake

Horrible Experience...

No communication, way below average training and horrible management. I would never recommend working there and it's no wonder people complain about City workers because of what i said above. Management are a bunch of overpaid and useless people who take our hard earned tax's for granted.

Pros

Cons

So many things to list

Recreation Software Management System.

Recreation Software Management System. • Providing product solution options for the implementation of a Recreation Software Management System (RSMS) solution from ActiveNet. • End-to-end Project Management from RFP, Vendor Selection to Go Live. • The project encompasses the purchase & installation of the required SaaS software, and related P.O.S. hardware, as well the provision for the access to a new banking system, data, training, future support & maintenance for the District.

A good Life Balance Work Place

West Vancouver is a great place to work with training and safety available for all the employees. Wages are good. I enjoyed my years there and only left to move out to the Fraser Valley Where I could afford housing. I would work there again.

Pros

Good work enviorment and pay

Cons

It was seasonal work only

Like my family

District of West Vancouver has been the best employer I have ever had to this day. District is a fun happy place and everyone treats me like family. There are great training opportunities and benefits are very good.

Great job to have as a second income

The layers of bureaucracy make it difficult to be authentic at your job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at District of West Vancouver. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement