DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD OF NIAGARA Employee Reviews

Supportive
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON23 September 2019
Supportive throughout personal decisions with regards to employee health & wellness and career & family life balance. Support from administrators, colleagues & at the board level.
Always new opportunities to learn as a supply teacher
Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 September 2019
I enjoy supply teaching within the Niagara District School Board. As a supply teacher, there are some very challenges moments, but everyone is so lovely and is willing to help. I have learned much about myself and the kind of educator I want to be for the next generations to come.
School Tutor
CLASSROOM TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON12 September 2019
It was a great contract position pertaining to tutoring I was able to secure as a student. The pay was decent for a student position and I enjoyed going there and interacting with staff and students
excellent working environment
Supply Teacher / Home Tutor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 September 2019
Over 10 years teaching experience, solid transferable skills in office administration and social services. Trained in Applied analysis to work with children's and youth with autism.
Great place to work.
High School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fonthill, ON12 August 2019
DSBN must be one of the top boards in Ontario. The schools are well maintained and when supplies are needed there always seems to be money to get the things into the classroom that the teachers need.
Innovative, supportive work environment.
Elected Trustee (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 August 2019
A great place to work, innovative, supports in place for career advancement. Good opportunity to work for one of the more progressive school Boards in Ontario. DSBN is a leader in the province in terms of delivery of technology and out door education.
30 years fulltime and 10 years parttime Mathematics instruction
Long Term and Supply Occasional Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 March 2019
My career as a Mathematics teacher included instruction in every grade and every level from Grades 9-13. My greatest joy was seeing students achieve success in a subject which is not the favourite of all.

I also enjoyed coaching basketball throughout my teaching career.
Overall staff morale is very low. Don't feel like a valued employee
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 October 2018
Staff morale is horrible. EA's are undervalued and not appreciated. "they" talk about a team environment, that's absolutely not true. When I started 19 years ago, I loved my job, because I was really helping children succeed. Now, all we do is put out fires, and deal with children with behaviours. We get punched, kicked, bitten, spat at etc., so degrading!
Front-line career, fun and busy.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON2 October 2018
A career as an Educational Assistant in a Secondary school is truly rewarding. It is challenging, exciting, busy and inspirational. Our number one teacher(s) are the students with exceptionalities.
As an EA in the field for 15 years, a burnout phase seems to be among many employees as the funding is not there to staff departments accordingly. This makes for mentally and physically draining days as we work without breaks, the students and staff are unsafe due to being understaffed, and many students cannot be integrated into mainstream classes for credit as the support is not there.
Pros
The students and the role.
Cons
The unsafe work environment.
excellent place to work
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON27 August 2018
O work with special needs children. I work with a classroom teacher. I love what I do. Working with the students is my favorite part of my job. the work setting is very friendly.
Great place to work!
Disability Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 May 2018
Exceptional management, administrator and workplace culture. Good Compensation and Benefits. Lifelong Learning prioritized. Positive employee relations!
My summary of 20 years
Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 April 2018
Exceptionally poor middle and senior leadership. They go out of their way to make life unbearable to those they dislike. Students rule the school, and their opinion is believed without question or challenge. Parents are always right, and this means teachers are always wrong, despite the evidence. The work environment is toxic; it is a poisoned well, and many staff take regular stress leaves just to compensate for the harassment they endure whilst at work. I wish I had never gone into teaching. My mental and physical health are suffering because of it.
Pros
Good wage, good benefits, good vacation, good pension.
Cons
Everything else. Cons outweigh the Pros, see above.
Fast paced, busy and fun place. Enjoy working with Children
Teacher's Assistant/Lunch Supervisor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON29 March 2018
Started volunteering at Gordon Public School since 2004 and I was offered the job in 2009 until present time. Unfortunately the tutoring program I was doing was suspended by the government and couldn't go back to work in September 2017. Overall experience was amazing since I really enjoy working with children and watch them progress.
District School Board of Niagara
Elementary School Teacher (Occasional) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON1 November 2017
Good pay
union support and collective bargaining
good professional development
good pension
limited opportunities for permanent position
most work contract
Pros
Rewarding work content
Cons
Limited job opportunities that are permanent
Great to have a job for being in a position i love as a ECE.
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON3 September 2017
I have had nothing but good experiences working for dsbn. Job security, benefits, and many wonderful people to work along side. It has many great opportunities to help educate others with ongoing support and learning. Wonderful leadership with administration too.
A variety of elements to the jobs
Lunchroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON29 July 2017
Each of these jobs were very different but challenging in their own way. The pay was reflective of the entry position, but with time some grew apart. I enjoyed the people I worked with, as well as the interaction with the customers.
Noon Hour Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON23 July 2017
Responsible for teaching children ages 12 to 18 military classes in respect, honor and discipline. Organized and supervised children on field trips. Administrate medications and first aid as required.
Good for casual and flexible schedule
Educational Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 June 2017
Hard to get a full time position and as a casual employee changing schools all the time it's hard to get to know and feel connected to other staff. Also hard to get to know kids properly.
Consistent hours
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON6 March 2017
I love what I do for my career but the pay is too low, no benefits yet and not much of a pension. I'm a hard worker and am a great team player but I would like a more competitive wage, pension and benefits for my family and I.
Generally good place to work
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Peninsula, ON22 August 2016
Working and seeing the children progressing was the best part of this job. It could be very stressful and the management/union did not do much to alleviate these feelings