Disney English Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Sales & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  China13 March 2018
It is a fun place to work and you can learn loads of things there as well. The company help employees get balance between work and life, managers are nice to get along with.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
pay is not good
Being a cast member for the Walt Disney Company
Foreign Trainer (Former Employee) –  Shanghai, China13 October 2016
Being a cast member for the Walt Disney Company was a pleasure, management are friendly and always approachable. The company offers cast members many opportunities to grow and learn, from volunteering to lead presentations to completing online courses which made available to all cast members.
Pros
Free online courses
Cons
12 hours shifts
Good working environment, nice colleagues, supportive leader, good enterprise culture
English Language Trainer (Current Employee) –  Guangzhou, China10 April 2016
It's a very good company and nice place to growth and stay.
The Company provides many opportunities to employees, help them to learn and growth.
Amateurish Training School
Foreign Trainer (Former Employee) –  Shanghai, China14 February 2016
Disney English has the potential to be a very successful English training school but they haven't been able to achieve because the management doesn't have the abilities to balance financial gain and education. Sales teams are put under a lot of pressure and given very high sales target to boost income but it creates lots of problems in the end. Over promising to parents, telling parents their kids will be fluent in a very short time. Putting children in an unsuitable age group, very young children are put in high level classes because parents demand it. Giving lots of discounts and free classes and make teachers overwork.

Teaching English to children can be very rewarding. However, with the amount of unnecessary stress, the job becomes very hard and no longer enjoyable.
Pros
Disney perks, insurances, good salary
Cons
very long working hours, you can't really sit down, have to dance and play while wearing dress shoes, inconsistency despite having a SOP, management is very immature
Engaging and collaborative workplace
English Language Trainer (Former Employee) –  C024 December 2015
As mentioned before; Disney is a great place to work for fun and team work. Learned many great teaching methods during my first 2 year contract.
Pros
Creative, fun and supportive environment.
Cons
Long hours.
Such amazing promise, such great people, lacking leadership.
Academic Management Task Force (Former Employee) –  Shanghai15 October 2015
I consider it a privilege to have worked for a Disney company. I was always a hard-worker, intelligent, and personable, but the culture and the coaches I found working for Disney English helped transform me into a true professional.

Working in this position was an amazing opportunity. Inside the corporate office I had the opportunity to write policy, contribute to new product direction, shape personnel decisions, and advise senior management on strategy. One of my favorite contributions was to the Learning and Development team, where I contributed regularly with instructional design of training materials and helped deliver them once completed.

Outside the office, I had the opportunity to visit most of the centers over all of China. I was able to open new locations, coach new managers, report on regional direction and strategy, and collect best practices for integration into training courses and sharing among the other centers and regions.

The difficulty, ultimately, was the same at day one as it was on my last day. Namely that the company's leadership never took the opportunity in the 5 1/2 years I worked there to actively shape the culture and focus on engagement of our personnel. Instead of taking a firm hand in modeling and shaping the corporate culture from the GM office to the janitors closet, the leadership allowed local and regional cultures to define themselves. This often ended with me being needed to go and re-train and re-coach. There was no excuse for this, as a Disney company there was an overabundance of rich heritage and proven culture to draw on. Yet,
  more... the hardest part of my job was ultimately one of the most common occurrences: listening to a cast member say "I know this isn't the 'real' Disney, but..."

This is a lesson I'll never forget, and in my future positions will take to heart.
Pros
Amazing tradition to be a part of, amazing co-workers, great physical support
Cons
No defined culture, lack of leadership, lack of purpose, lack of engagement
Fast-paced work environment with marketing focus
Foreign Trainer (Former Employee) –  China2 December 2014
Disney provides an excellent product to those who can afford it -- fusing fun with learning in an after-school English-language acquisition program.

Work hours are odd, and Disney contracts no outside substitute teachers, so class coverage must come from within the center which places a strain on human resources and relationships.

Physical resources are fantastic -- toys to teach each vocabulary set. Each classroom has a Smartboard, and each lesson provides associated interactive and musical media resources.
A great company to work for
Foreign Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hangzhou, China20 September 2014
In China there are many language schools looking to take advantage of foreigners, but at Disney the employees are well cared for. From the moment I landed, I had health insurance, a bank account and a phone. Though there are many areas of the company could use improvement (organization, communication about days off) on the whole, my experience with Disney was a very positive one. I enjoyed teaching English through play-centered activities and using my creative talents in the lessons. My coworkers and supervisors at the Wulin center in Hangzhou were all pleasant to be around, supportive, and interested in putting the kids first.
Pros
Healthcare, Western management team ensures clear communication for foreign staff
Cons
Long works hours on the weekend
Fun place to work with the Disney characters.
Senior Foreign Trainer (Former Employee) –  Wuhan China29 April 2014
A typical day at work would involve, in the week starting at 1:30pm and finishing at 9pm, at the weekends, normally 9-9. Normally on would teach 2 hour classes to children aged 3-12 and attend meetings twice a week. There are opportunities for career advancement but the work load is high.
Pros
Disney!
Disney English
Foreign Language Trainer (Former Employee) –  北京市, C2230 March 2014
Great opportunity to teach in a foreign country, experience new culture, and explore local sights. Management was great and worked with employees in assimilating into the local culture.

3 days a week one teaches one to two two hour classes. On Saturdays and Sundays one will teach three two hour classes usually back to back so be prepared in advance with lesson plans.

The culture and co-workers were fantastic and was a family like environment.
Can be fun but not much vacation
SENIOR FOREIGN TRAINER (Former Employee) –  上海市, C2328 August 2013
Work life balance is promoted, but can be difficult to attain..
Pros
housing allowance, decent pay
Cons
poor insurance and not alot of vacation time outside holidats
The company was great, as long as your management was acceptable.
Foreign Trainer for Taiyonggong Center (Current Employee) –  Joliet, IL6 August 2013
There are very strict about the "Disney way," but it was a fun job!
Productive and fun place to work where you constantly meet new people
Foreign Trainer (Current Employee) –  上海市, C235 May 2013
A typical day at work begins in the early afternoon (1pm) and runs late into the evening (9pm).We train children to acquire english as a foreign language through various activities based in the theory of multiple intelligences such as singing songs, physical activities where they may run and jump, and also arts and crafts. I've taken courses through Human Resources Career Development Program to learn more about master scheduling, diversity, management, leadership and multiple intelligence theories. Two of the ways i've used what I learned is to create fun promotional events for all of the children who attend our center and also schedule them on the office calendar. Management is very hands on and involved in every aspect of what we do. They are constantly implementing new strategies, policies and procedures. My coworkers are amazing! We always offer ideas for class activities to eachother and are very supportive of one another. Everyone is very warm and inviting. We spend time with eachother even outside of work and genuinely have fun.The hardest part of the job is the long unusual hours. We work on weekends and work late into the evening most of the week. Its very hard to have a work/life balance. The most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly environment, availability of career workshops and ability to create such fun interactive lessons for our learners.
Pros
friendly staff, compensation, benefits
Cons
unusual work hours
A new industry for Disney in China
Foreign Trainer (Former Employee) –  C0211 March 2013
A typical day was lesson planning, presentations for potential clients, and teaching 15+ students for 45-120min. I learned time management, organization, presentation, lesson planning, co-teaching skills, and product knowledge. My co-workers were a diverse mix of international teachers and management. The hardest part of my role was maintaining a work/ life balance and letting the role overtake all my energy. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with my co-workers and learners.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Disney English. Our community is ready to answer.