Discovery Community College

Canada29 reviews

Insights into Discovery Community College

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Lack of Direction

I loved my position at DCC but unfortunately lack of communication despite repeated attempts to request clarity and guidance, lack of proper training and little accountability made for a frustrating and unhealthy workplace.

Growing company with lots to learn

I really like my job. I have worked here for 3 years now and can say that no day has been the same. Workload is constantly changing due to growth and its easy to climb the ranks if you work hard. Of course, when there is growth there are some growing pains but we are really shaping into an amazing organization full of positive, enthusiastic team players. I love my team mates and am happy to come to work most days.

Pros

Easy to move up

Cons

No benefits

Growing Career-Based College with tons of Opportunity

I've done a multitude of roles since starting with Discovery Community College in 2015. I've really enjoyed the challenges and the changes as they have come up.The job culture is definitely as strong as I've seen it. As with most companies, a few bad seeds can really ruin productivity. However, in the last few years they seemed to have cleared themselves out. We're definitely seeing a better atmosphere, growing team who are all on the same page of really wanting to help people find their new career path.I've put 4* for salary/benefits because having medical/dental benefits would be nice in the future. So far there isn't any. Paid vacation, yes. Always opportunities to advance or try new things as the climate of career-based education expands. Just as a side note -- there were lots of questions regarding being interviewed to work here. I went through 3 interviews before getting hired with varous team members. They are now mostly done virtually but when I was hired it was on-site.If you're into a fast-paced workplace with quick deadlines, this is the place for you! You're never bored and there's always something new to direct your focus on.

Pros

Great group to work with for the most part. Opportunities to advance into new roles.

Cons

No benefits.

Love it here!

I've been with the college for many years, they've been fantastic. Supportive of personal & professional goals. Constant growth and expansion. I love being a part of a team that provides accessible education for careers with the students learning environments in mind. I've written everything from entry level to management hats and always felt supported and treated fairly. This one small college continues to expand and offers a variety of programs to meet the training needs of the employers in the communities we serve. Qualified instructors, quick to adapt, and always looking for how to keep curriculum and processes relevant.Looking forward to being a part of the journey for more students and continuing to be a part of this incredible team for many more years.

Pros

Finding the right fit is the most important thing

Great job

Positive experience, working with students and administrators to best serve the overall satisfaction of business needs. Was able to get my security license and supported my needs to better my skills..

Pros

Great training and flexibility in the day

Cons

I got hired on with Discovery College to instruct the HCA program in Merritt. Our class was to start up right as Covid hit. The company and my mentors have been nothing short of amazing! DCC was able to get everyone (instructors + students) set up, online and ready to participate in a virtual classroom. Would highly recommend working for this company!

Forward thinking company with evolving opportunities

As the Interior Project Manager, I get to work with health care students in different cities throughout the region. My tasks are varied and are adaptive as new projects are introduced. This is a position for someone who has a business background, strong soft skills, office/technology proficiency, proactive in finding solutions, communicates clearly, and for someone who has a forward-thinking approach. As a coordinated person, I feel this position is adding to my professional skillset and challenges me. I work both virtually and in-person with my team, employers/facilities, applicants, and students. The best part of this job is knowing that the work we do is actively contributing to our health care system by training students for gainful employment.

Pros

Healthy work/life balance, adaptive, enjoyable work, supported, variety of tasks

Great staff and experience for everyone involved.

Great support from Tech to CEO. Student supports are first rate, opportunities and flexible schedules. Admin and support staff for the company overall strive to provide excellent experience for all.

Problematic employer

This was a very problematic work environment, particularly given the fact that it is an educational institution. Racist remarks were made openly, management lacks professional standards. The family-run nature of the business translates to unequal treatment of students and employees. The fundamental lack of policy and procedure standards. Management changes constantly.

Pros

perks depending on relationship with management

Cons

perks depending on relationship with management

Misleading from Top down

Never would I recommend enrolment or employment at this “College” . Only thing they care about is seat filling for $$. No ethics, no support, unqualified instructors. Questionable ethics from point of curriculum’s being taught. Do yourself a favour- stay far away!

No support

Management was poor. A student hit me and management sided with the student. Old building with poor heat and air conditioning. Classrooms are always switching due to no room

Community support worker

I do not recommend working here. Outdated information taught to WorkBC sponsored students by an outdated instructor without any formal education. No real interests for students' education here. Best to avoid DCC and go work somewhere else where there is meaning.

Great Place To Work

Ive been an Instructor at DCC for 4 years and I love it. Great support systems within our team. Pay is excellent and lots of opportunities for change and development.

Great experience and growth opportunity

So far my experience at DCC has been very rewarding. I have been working with DCC for two (2) years and has given me the opportunity to expand my skills, experience and growth. Great people to work with. The best part about the job are the students. It’s a great feeling and accomplishment when you hear that students are being hired by a company during their practicum.

Pros

Students and Colleagues, Growth

Behind the times back in the 90s

Stay away they don't even have qualified instructors some are even former students. Curriculum is outdated and so are the programs. All the qualified instructors quit or leave. No one is happy working there only pretend to be.

Pros

Other than the students there really is nothing

Cons

outdated, too much office politics, old curriculum under qualified instructors

unprofessional

Stay away from this college! None of the instructors are qualified to teach....none of them have their Provincial Instructor Degree... they have former students teaching the Community Support Worker program. The cirruculum is prehistoric . They add in filler programs so they can make up the hours for student programs without students realizing. All good and knowledgeable Instructors end up quitting. Way to much office politics!

Pros

students are amazing

Cons

college is a joke

opportunities for advancement

DCC is Great company, that has competitive and fair wages for instructors and staff. I have been with discovery for 5 years and with my open door policy i have had the opportunity to grow as an instructor to program manager and now ICM. All of us a DCC are happy to assist our students grow and develop the skills they need to prosper in our surrounding communities I have enjoyed working in all areas. I have watched students grow, succeed, and work in the areas of their career choice! With Student success and the great staff I work with. I can not wait to see where the future will take us very exciting opportunities in education and work.

Pros

competitive wages, opportunity for advancement, student success

Good, better ...BEST!

Discovery Community College is simply incredible and amazing workplace ! The staff and management very friendly and I truly enjoy working collaboratively with all members of our great team! There's simply nowhere else I would rather spend three and a half years growing professionally and intellectually. I am grateful for the opportunity what I proudly call a milestone.If you are looking for the friendly and ethic environment, positive atmosphere, respect and diversity, quality education,- do not look any further join us!

Pros

enthusiastic team, hands on training, expereinced instructors

Unorganized

This school doesn’t know what the left hand is doing or the right. Lots of miscommunication. No one knows the right answer and there is never any admission to wrong doing. Lots of sign this sign that. They have a lot to work on.

Pros

Great students

Cons

Student are angered by the dishonesty

Family run business too close to home

I was employed by DCC for about a year. Most employees last a year. I was thrown into my position as my predecessor upped and quit during my "training" period. As Career Advisor I thought I would be encouraged to advise potential students on what career would suit them. Unfortunately, for this private college - as well as other private colleges - that's not the case. The main objective is to promote sales rather than education. Sad but true.

Pros

fun transient co-workers all working together for the students

Cons

management pushing sales tactics (quantity over quality). Serious lack of communication

Excellent company to work for

This private college is fun, productive and a very good place to work. They encourage expending your education and encourage instructors to assist in making this a great college.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discovery Community College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement