Discovery Academy Employee Reviews

Could be a good place to work but management is not good
Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT15 May 2019
The management is pretty unprofessional, show favoritism to male workers because they are in high demand. They don't necessarily want mentors but more so strict babysitters. A lot is expected and little given in return. If you have any type of personality/ fun in you, this probably isn't the place for you. Met a lot of incredible co-workers and that aspect was good, but it could be a competitive and gossipy environment in a lot of ways, unfortunately.
Pros
co workers, the kids
Cons
long shifts, no breaks, letting male staff get away with practically anything well female staff is held to high standard
Reason behind the job is what makes the job worth it
Tutor/Substitute Teacher/Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT29 April 2019
I worked on the academic side of this job and it wasn't difficult by any means. I feel like there are things about how the school is run that I don't agree with or see beneficial, but being able to interact and get close to the students really makes you want to go to work here. Even when the students pull your strings, at the end of the day you feel like you have done good and most of the time the students will tell you have too.
The staff was great!
TODDLER TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 April 2019
Great environment. Management was easy going. There was no room for growth. The children was the main readon that I stayed. The staff made it feel like a family.
Pros
Breaks, teamwork
Cons
Pay
Review
Youth Mentor/Assistant Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Provo, UT11 January 2019
Chill work environment, sometimes the kids can be hard to work with. Staff is very good at making everyone aware of any circumstances that we need to be aware of during the shift.
Fun always doing something
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT 8460110 January 2019
The staff always willing to help if an when needed. Great support from supervisors and fellow workers. Very caring and relaxed environment. Supervisors always willing to help.
Pros
Free meals
Toddler Teacher
TODDLER TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL2 January 2019
I love working at Discovery Academy 2. The culture and environment is relaxing and comfortable. We are truly like a family here. The children keep me coming in.
A great place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT15 November 2018
I loved working at Discovery. I enjoyed helping the students work on their individual skills and try to overcome challenges. I was able to coach the basketball team which was a lot of fun and a challenge.
Fun people
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NE24 October 2018
Teachers are fun and easy to get along with. Families are great! Management cared more about making money than the children, Curriculum wasn't age appropriate.
Interesting
Voluntary Library /Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire18 September 2018
I worked half time in the Library and Half time in the Administrative Exam Department, with the Promise of an Apprenticeship they gave to someone else who didn't have to prove themselves.
A Word of Caution
Youth Mentor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT14 August 2018
I agree with the Therapist! Most of the people who work there like the kids and the program itself, but do not enjoy the way that things are run. The management are not professional with their employees. They keep the employees who they have a personal connection with, and can discipline the kids.
Staff are encouraged to get to know the kids, but only at a level to keep them in line. Any kind of personal connection to help them is not allowed. Your job is too report on their behavior, and to keep them safe. Do not apply for this job if you have a personality, or want to mentor/ help the students with their school work this is not the place for that.
Pros
Pay, school teachers, amazing kids!
Cons
poor management, gossip, lack of communication
Great Daycare
Lead Before and After School Care (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NE21 May 2018
This is a great daycare. The work days goes by fast and the place is friendly. If you have a child and work here your monthly cost is lower than most daycares.
Fun work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GA7 May 2018
While at Discovery Academy I had the pleasure to assist bright and wonderful students and their family. The office atmosphere was open and fun. I enjoyed bonding and mentoring the students in my free time the most.
productive, collaborative, stressful
Associate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CT25 April 2018
As an Associate Instructor, pay and benefits were good. Colleagues were helpful and respectful. The stress came from continuous observation and evaluation while working with a diverse community when, at times, academics was not the primary concern.
Great program, terrible management
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT28 December 2017
Most of the people who work there like the kids and the program but do not enjoy the way that things are run. Professionals are expected to work 40+ hours in the office and be on call 24/7 365 days a year, vacation is hard to take and you are always expected to answer your phone and email for work related things that come up.
Pros
Great Students
Cons
Terrible ED
exciting, structured
Papillion- Lead Classroom Instructor (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NE8 November 2017
Working was always interesting, there was never a dull moment. I loved putting together lesson plans and watching the childrens excitement grow as they were learning. The ages of the students was pretty young so there were lots of potty training accidents that would cause time constraints. I enjoyed talking and getting to know all the students parents and building a core relationship with them.
Pros
hour lunch break, free food, morally rewarding
Cons
stressful moments
High turnover rate
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UT30 October 2017
Extremely low pay for the amount of work expected from employees. Hard to get upper management on your side. Risk to reward is very lopsided. Feel like you don’t have the higher ups on your side on anything. Always having to get overtime just to make ends meet. Upper management getting upset when you get overtime. They never take the staffs word for anything. Work for a dollar and get a penny and expected to be grateful. Open discrimination and racial profiling against certain ethnic backgrounds.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
Poor working conditions, poor upper management, poor pay, Poor benefits, lack of communication from upper management, high stress level.
Interesting job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT9 September 2017
This job is a very specific position that takes the right person. Discovery Academy is a boarding school for troubled teens. It takes a lot of patience and attention to detail.
The staff is great to work with.
Medical Assistance (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT27 July 2017
Too start the day off, I would go into work make sure that all the patient medication was set up and pass out to the correct patients. Make all medical appointments, take vials. work with families, and insurance providers. Taking care of patients daily needs.
I loved working with the patients, and staff.
Pros
Staff was the best part of this job.
Cons
Management.
Great kids
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NE31 May 2017
A great day working with kids in a small environment. The basic schedule is set and you are able to provide meaningful activity to help the child develop physically and intellectually.
Pros
Freedom to have fun with the children
Cons
employee relations can be hostile& no healthcare
Stressful and hard
Mentor for at risk teenagers (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Provo, UT2 May 2017
It was one of the hardest jobs I've ever had. It might have been bearable if my coworkers were reliable and helped, but they didn't. Also the company as a whole doesn't care about the mentors at all. We do all the hard work and they don't see it. It was a terrible experience for me. I will never work here again and will never recommed someone to work here either.