Direct Traffic Management

Direct Traffic Management Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
The job is enjoyable and varied. Fellow employees mostly are good to work with. Money can be made with long hours. Decent benefits. Interesting learning the behind the scene things that happen and why traffic is diverted.
Official response from Direct Traffic Management
6 April 2020
Thank you for your review and positive feedback. We are working on communication within all levels of the Company through a variety of means including employee surveys and providing more training to our Team Leaders and Supervisors. The Assistant Operations Manager, Operations Manager and HR Manager are available to all employees and interested in hearing employees' concerns, ideas and suggestions.
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!! This company is a joke and needs to be shut down. You are pretty much a slave and nobody cares about you. They make you work 15 hour shifts overnight and expect you to come in again after 5 hours of sleep. Majority of the work is at night time.

You start your shift around 5pm. You have no idea what you are doing that shift until you get in and check the board. You do not get assigned a permanent truck and 90% of their trucks don't even have proper AC working. All the equipment is outdated and the trucks are disgusting. The supervisor who's name I will not mention basically gives out the best trucks to whomever he likes. You get to your assigned job site and you setup your closure. The only relaxing part is after the closure is setup you just sit there in your truck and chill out. But keep in mind these trucks are day cab trucks with ZERO room to tilt your seat back. You pretty much sit there until the job is done. Keeping in mind you are the first ones there and the last ones out. Usually you go until about 6am. You head to the yard after that, park your truck and head on home after filling out your log sheets and fuel sheets (roughly around 8am). By the time you reach home its about 8:30am (depending on how far you live and morning traffic). Some people do like to shower before they go to sleep especially when you have been out all night (Let's just say 9am). You have to text the dispatcher in between 10am-12pm saying that you are ready for the next shift. The dispatcher will usually reply around 1pm. WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP TO CHECK YOUR PHONE
 - more...
Cons
Long Hours, Lack of proper working equipment, Treat you like slaves
Great place to work, different jobs all over Ontario, straight forward work, the management is great to work with, the employees are like family, multiple locations (Missisauga, Hamilton). Always something new to learn, Safety is #1.
Only good rating was for work life balance. Because you are promised a lot of hours and even the unionized people were lucky if you worked two shifts a week. So yes you will have a lot of life balance. They promise you union at three months and benefits but then let employees go the day before probation period. Someone said it in another comment. You are just a number and easily disposed of.
.....if you want to make good money on a weekly basis. Management isnt the best and isnt always organized as they appear to be. Lots of room for improvement overall.
Pros
Good pay, job advancement
Cons
No set schedules, 24/7 on call, lack of good equipment
A growing company with a strong and knowledgeable management team.

As in the name, Direct Traffic Management, provides Traffic management services for clientele and contractors. You will be working on the Highway and roads including the 400 series highways, placing and moving traffic barriers to protect workers and control Traffic.

Work schedule can vary due to demand. Most highway work is planned in advance. Sometimes the work is of an immediate demand or emergency. One must be adaptable to the hours and work load demands.
Pros
Somewhat Flexible work schedule.
Cons
Rarely know the hours you will be working. Working in a dangerous environment.
Forget about having any sort of life out side of work. Management doesn't care about any concerns you or if the vehicles you're using for work are broken. You have no job security at all. Worked there for about a year and got paid off and told not bringing me back next season with out even a reason. They go through staff like candy never the same person there for long and they don't even pay you for the job you actually are doing.
I would not recommend this company to any one.
An easy place to work with minimal supervision and a good salary. There is a lot of free time some days and no free time on other days. the work is challenging at times but the people you get to work with makes it easy and sometimes fun.
Pros
Downtime
Cons
The job has it's inherent dangers, that's just the industry. Overall the company does it's best to mitigate these hazards, protecting the workers, clients and the public.

Coming from a health and safety background, I was impressed by the support from management, as well as front line team leaders. Team leaders were very upfront that if you felt that something was unsafe, that a work refusal was acceptable. That being said, I never felt that anything asked of me was unsafe.

Direct was a great company to work for and wish them all the best.
Pros
Long hours, Good Culture, Good Communication with Management.
Cons
Long hours, Inherent risk from drivers, exposed to weather conditions, short notice of work.
You find out your schedule daily. You're expected to work 6/7 days per week. Dangerous conditions. On the road driving for more than 8 hours a day. Bosses are always looking to push the legal envelope.
Pros
Decent pay, and time off at Christmas
Cons
Long hours. Lack of respect. You're just a number
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Direct Traffic Management?
usually we have good contractors that we deal with but when they are not nice its can be a downer.. Night shifts are cool but then they ask you to work weekends also. Not good for your back if you lay in the truck all day.. Extremely dangerous job...
Pros
Cons
no life/night shifts
Love my job but wanting to find an inside job.. Good company to work for there are some issues but thats everywheres you go.. Overall good company to work for
The hardest part about working at Direct, was the consistent lengthened hours that could occur while your already on a shift, as well most of your work day is spent inside your work truck. What I've gained and am proud to say that this Job has given me personal growth as I learned about road measurements as well as surveying.
Good place to work. Always willing to send you to any job site. Friendly staff. Management easy to speak to and very approachable.
A typical day would be going to the shop and loading all of the materials we need for the shift including; barrels for lane closures, various traffic signs, pylons, etc.
Head out to the job site and contact the contractors doing the job. The contractors advise us on what they would want from us and when we could set up different lane closures.

After setting up a lane closure we would protect the contractors and stay alert for the duration of our shift.

When the contractors were done for the night, we would open the traffic lanes and head back to the shop
Pros
long hours, working consistently 12 hour days
Cons
downtime during shifts