Dillon Consulting Limited

Dillon Consulting Limited Employee Reviews

At DIllon, depending on what industry you want to end up in afterwards, provide a great platform for "learning the ropes" - i.e., things to do and not to do working for a engineering firm. They have a very firm power structure that is fairly top heavy with partners and associates with the bulk of project work completed by regular employees. Their culture is a good one - very community focused with lots of opportunity to socialize with coworkers. They are very process driven, so if you're not, you won't last long. There is also fairly moderate pressure for ownership for those who want to move up in the company. You will learn good technical skills for the type of work they do, and compensated decently.
Pros
Good culture and company events (dragonboat, socials, potlucks)
Cons
Long hours, pay not great for junior employees.
Dillon has simply been the very worst place to work in my career. Years later you will still remember the hypocrysy of people and management.
Pros
Positive points are not important when negative points are so overwelming
Cons
The whole company is bad; a bad place to work
I worked as a student there for 4 months, and I really enjoyed it. They are very welcoming and helpful. Beautiful office in downtown London. I found as a student I was given a lot of opportunities to do different work, like design work, site work, or even more departments. They really want you to see all the angles of engineering and find your groove. I only regret I didn't take advantage of it more. I would really recommend this place to students, because it's a great place to learn and get a feel for the field. And they do hire a lot of their students back after they graduate, so you feel like you're actually working towards a real job.
Pros
everything
Cons
leaving
I loved working with Dillon Consulting. I worked there for 8 years and I would love to work there again. Great environment, no micro managing. You can keep to yourself or be social in the work place, depending on your personality.
Pros
Givin Responsibility, and Trust.
Cons
Large company, with large share holders
While working, I found myself in a open and collaborative environment as I worked. People were encouraging and easily sociable which provided a very productive and yet relaxing work environment.
Managers are not trained properly before joining the company. This leads to poor communication in teams. When I first started working at dillon, no one helped me and no one cared. But I was supposed to help everyone else. I also had no training on the job and my supervisior was clueless on how I was to get work done.
Pros
Free parking & good benefits
Cons
Working overtime without pay. And without notice.
Great opportunities in regards to projects and client exposure. Working environment was relaxed and very communicative. Would recommend for those who like to work in teams.
The entire team at Dillon are great. Everyone works together and helps each other out. You truly feel like you are part of the team right from the start.
Dillon is a great place to work; I was surrounded by a wonderful team of administrative assistants to a team of project managers for the overall life-cycle of multi-disciplinary projects. Dillon has its own financial management system, standard templates, and business procedures, which need to be followed. All admin staff take part in preparation, maintenance, and filing of project documentation in accordance with Dillon’s business procedures, and assisting project managers with drafting project plans and health and safety plans. I found the title naming confusing, and not at all in keeping with industry standards, but all admins provide assistance with word processing and report and proposal production activities, including formatting, editing, proofreading and working with graphics, and other administrative duties as required, as well as Reception back-up (Mitel 5500 switchboard system.)
Pros
great social committee structure
Cons
There is constant pressure to show billable hours
Dillon is an awesome company and the overall atmosphere of the office is wonderful. There is a great team environment with all members working toward the same goal.
Overall a good company. Has received Best Managed award for many years running now. Many offices coast to coast with over 700 employees and many disciplines that work together throughout each office. New president is great - very personable and down to earth and makes an effort to know the employees.
Dillon offers a client relationship-based approach to consulting, focusing on quality deliverables. They offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits, as well as professional development opportunities.
Management expects staff to bring connections and opportunities to the office and will allow staff to be critically underutilized for weeks on end . Senior staff often forgets who is on the teams and will resort to cronyism without consideration of workload/underutilized staff. Overtime/sick time is expected to be used up if you have no project work, and senior staff forgets what qualifications and experience the junior staff have. If your clever and ambitious you will be ignored, unless you come from Ontario. Instead of branching into the industry sectors that require servicing, or putting up booths at trade shows and conferences the company would prefer to engage in gimmicky business activities such as luggage monitoring to expand brand recognition. Good coffee though.
Pros
Able to study philosophy and improve software skillsets when not being used
Cons
Under employed, ignored, expected to be mediocre
Great place to start. Good learning opportunities in technical skills. It would be nice if training was provided on their overall business. Company is more geared towards civil and other disciplines are sometimes neglected. Limited room to advance.
Pros
travel, free lunches
Cons
Little room for advancement
During this intern position I was able to gain experience in different areas of the field such as research projects, AutoCAD projects, creating cost lists for contractors as well as going out to the field for meetings. I reviewed and edited plans for clients and help design the workplace exterior garden. I worked with other engineers that were part of the same projects and learned a lot about plant types and really enjoyed being a part of a company that improves the quality of living.
Pros
learned a alot
Cons
Excellent opportunity to take on increased responsibilities but difficult to get recognition or advancement. Often sacrificing work life balance due to lack of appropriate staffing.
Pros
variety of project work
Cons
long hours, lack of recognition
Worked with landowners, residents, and stakeholders to reduce anthropogenic impacts on streams in a suburban environment. Recruited and lead a team of crew members for field restoration activities.
Poor local management and frequent belittling and bullying tactics used to manipulate jr staff. Inconsistent project work leads to stockpiling by managers to make sure they have work flow regardless of jr staff utilization. Project managers often force jr staff to do project work while charging hrs to admin time to save on project budgets. This lowers utilization rates and makes jr staff less likely to achieve pay raises or advance in the company. Company has great HR policies and talks a lot about work/life balance, unfortunately these policies are not followed on a local level. Company talk a lot about being employee own but shares and annual bonuses only really benefit Associates and Partners. Full time regular staff do not receive bonuses and are so limited in the number of shares they can purchase that the dividends received are minimal. During project work, hrs of work expected were unhealthy and unsustainable. (Sometimes over 100hrs/week, 7 days) Management would push field staff to maintain and exceed these hrs but when confronted would blame field staff for working the hrs management had forced upon them. Engineers or EITs are hired to do field technolgist work with no clear plans or path to develop or advance within the company. At times local management turned away more fulfilling and more technical work for their jr staff so that they could keep their team on standby for field supervision.
Pros
Free parking, decent health/dental benefits
Cons
Poor management, average-to-below average pay
Dillon Consulting Ltd. was a fantastic place to grow and develop as a young professional. The office has a great attitude, they work well as a team, and give you the tools needed for success.
Glad that i worked for Dillon consulting because it is one of the really finest companies to work in. Learned alot from the senior staff, very cooperative and enthusiastic team dillon has got.
I have nothing but positive things to say about Dillon Consulting Limited. Excellent staff, impeccable training leaders and overall a fantastic company to work for.