Dilawri Group of Companies Employee Reviews

What rolls downhill?
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2019
With changes in management at the start of the year, policies and procedures were changed for seemingly no reason other than the arrival of a new department head wanting to control optics, leaving workers scurrying to catch up with no real understanding of why we were abandoning functioning procedures for halfbaked ones. Lack of experience and direction from department heads left workers feeling unsupported and wayward. Minor positions like receptionist or cashier are not filled so the responsibilities of those positions fall on other team members. This means more work than can be done within your stipulated shift, resulting in management seeming disappointed that you either have unfinished tasks or no interest in working overtime to complete them. As an employee not in a management position, you're left with the overall feeling that your hard work is not appreciated and you can be replaced at any time by someone more "malleable". It quickly became very apparent that unless you were a friend of, or previously employed by, the general manager, or willing to devote all of your personal time to the organization, it was unlikely that you were going to fit in with the "big picture" or have a long-term position here.
Pros
Good hard-working teammates you can count on
Cons
Arrogant or inexperienced management, limited work/life balance
Terrible organisation that is self centered
Sales & Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON (Frost GM)10 April 2019
This company squeezes people to the max and it really works its employees like a dog. On top of that they shorthand your commissions, are not transparent about the pay and the managers are always threatening to fire you If you dont perform. I finally quit after 3 awful years of working here.
Pros
Its a Job
Cons
Long hours, terrible pay, rude management
Ignore the good reviews
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2019
I would suggest steering clear of any dealership owned by Dilwari. The management is subpar at best, and that's being nice. It all trickles down from the top, down to the minimally paid staff in all departments that are expected to give it their all, take the abuse, for minimal pay and incentives. They don't care about staff they care about money. They don't reward those who work hard and deserve a raise or promotion, they can always hire someone outside the company for less.
Any good reviews you do see were generated from upper management and HR asking employees to come on here and give them a 5 star rating.
Pros
I guess you get a paycheck
Cons
Everything. Literally.
I would not recommend working here
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2019
Management did not give enough feedback. I was let go with no reason. I had not been given any direction as to what I was doing right or wrong. I had heard feedback from other previous employees before I went here suggesting managers are quite often let go with no notice typically around 18 months tenure. I brought this up in my interview and was assured they had changed. They lied.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
the rest
Garbage
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Dixie mitsubishi23 February 2019
Culture is poison. Management is inept. Poor workers and pigs and butchers are rewarded while team players are thrown under the bus.. I'm talking to you jonny at dixie mitsubishi
Management doesn't follow Labour laws or company policy. Very high turnover
Just dont
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2019
Day to day operations isnt bad people arn't bad. Management will try to over work you and under pay you. Mistakes are unforgivable and hard work is never recognized or rewarded.
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor management, average pay, over worked
Technicians were great to work with.
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 February 2019
Management had huge turn over in the time I was there and they still don't have it right. They do not keep there word or follow through with bonus money. It is the worse dealership to work for and don't pay for the hours that you work.
Pros
Free lunch on saturdays
Cons
But they deduct 1 hour for lunch on saturday when there isn't enough staff to take an hour off.
A joke
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2019
I have worked for this company for several years and it seems to get worse and worse every year. Upper management is a joke, not sure if they have ever sold a car in their careers. Culture is non existent. Compensation is the lowest in the industry and job security is not a thing.

If you want to be under paid, under appreciated, and pressured and harassed by upper management every day of your life... then this place is perfect for you.
Pros
Work life balance.... sort of
Cons
Everything else...
Don't ever think of working for this dealer group
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2019
Worst culture I have ever seen, useless, political, arrogant Upper Management. Report driven but the reports always based on wrong data. Horrible finger pointing, never good enough, fire anyone at anytime for stupid reasons. Everyday thinking of how to cut your income. Super high turnover. Targets incredibly high and impossible to reach. This Dealer Group caused everyone major stress working over there which will spill into their personal life ... Do something good for yourself, avoid this Dealer Group, don't ever think of working for them.
Extremely toxic work environment
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC22 January 2019
This review is for Acura of Langley in BC.

For the sake of your sanity, emotional and mental health--steer clear of this company. The management will treat you as just another number so DO NOT be fooled with their tactics. I have never been more stressed in my life while working there.

Management and Sales Administrator are big time bullies and power trippers.

No one deserves to be treated the way they treat their employees.

Their high turnover rate speaks for itself.

Good riddance on my end. :)

Take this as a warning and happy job hunting!
Pros
Cons
toxic work environment, no growth, poor management, bullying in thw workplace
Avoid like the Plauge
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 January 2019
The horror stories about Dilawri are true. Yes large in size and numbers , but well removed from how to run a day to day business. Speaking only for Toronto Operations; much of Dilawri is run by one individual; the director of operations. An individual who has not been at the dealer level for many years; he has sincerely lost the humanity and empathy that is needed to run a dealership. The foresight to see the importance of their employees well being. This is a rule by fear mentality. A prime example is a dealership that is run just off the 404 and mullock. Think the previous ownership was bad? Think again. Take a look at the google reviews . DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY UNDER THE CURRENT DIRECTOR if you value self respect.
Pros
Cons
You will loose your sanity
Work here only if you're desperate and have no other options
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2018
I don't think it's any secret that the automotive industry in general can be a rough place to work, but Dilawri is without a doubt the worst there is. Loyalty means nothing to this company, either for employees or customers. They will send out mass emails ranking your job performance against other employees who dont even work for the same brand as you - for other employees and managers to see, on a weekly basis. They cut benefits three times in the time I was employed there. Excessive pay plan "re structuring" which always ended up with a pay decrease. When they realized how bad their turnover rate was, HR requested everyone give 5 star reviews instead of actually addressing any of the issues. You will be a number only at this company with no actual value as a person, being ranked on reports that have no logical benefit. And even if you rank highly on those reports, it will never be enough and upper management will find a reason to scrutinize your performance. If you dont like it, you'll be replaced by someone who will suffer through it quietly. Do yourself a favor and work for literally any other dealership that isn't a Dilawri store.
Pros
Co workers band together to survive
Cons
Everything else
Don't apply
Appointment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2018
They are not competitive in salary they will offer you way less. They even talk down to you during an interview asking why you're good enough to work for them. Save yourself the headache and avoid the company
Cons
This is not where you want to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgay19 September 2018
If you are considering a position with Dilawri, you should know that for the most part what you read in the negative reviews is accurate. The glowing reviews you read are solicited by HR to try to increase the rating as their reputation in the industry is terrible. Instead of listening to and valuing staff, the answer seems to be to fake it instead of fix it, and they somehow at the same time believe cutting pay will motivate and retain employees. People do not matter, everyone is disposable. The only thing that matters are the numbers. The mantra of promoting from within is a fallacy, as are the promises they make and do not keep. The owner and senior management run the company with an “if you don’t like it we’ll find someone who will and who will do it for less pay” attitude. Management at the dealership level is a title only so expect to be paid for it, appreciated for hard work, or be able to manage anything. While there are plenty of horrible places to work within the industry, there are far better groups or stores to work for. Dilawri believes you should be unwaveringly grateful to be part of their “team”. Having worked for larger companies than Dilawri, and in other industries, I firmly believe that being big is not an excuse for this mindset, many companies find ways to value what has gotten them there, the people who do the work day to day. Like the incredibly successful Richard Branson says “Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough, so they don't want to”.
Pros
Free lunch on Saturday and no background or reference checks if that is a pro for you.
Cons
Everything else.
Do Not Work For This Automotive Group
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2018
If you are looking for a short career where you will be talked down to and belittled in front of your peers by the director of operations, then this is the job for you. The focus is on doing dozens of reports when it should be on selling, the Owner is non-existent and if seen will not say hi to you. The Director of Operations is more focused on what company vehicle he should be driving than leading and coaching. You are just a number working for this company and he will constantly remind you that you are expendable. You will be expected to work over 60 hours a week and not be compensated. The pay is pathetic to say the least. They have grown to the size they are by saving money on pay plans. Do yourself a favour and steer clear of this company. There are better companies to work for. All of their veteran managers have left because of the director. The average person working there today has been there less than a year. Sad!
Pros
Cons
Owner, Director of Operations, Salary, Virbal Abuse.
Great Atmosphere to work
Appointment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2018
I enjoyed the work atmosphere, working with a team. Enjoyed the challenges that came with the position. Mostly, enjoyed the customer service aspect of the job, and dealing with great clients.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Customer interation
Cons
Internal Communication
Do yourself a favour - avoid this group
Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2018
before you apply any jobs in car business, make sure that dealership is not part of Dilawri Group. Reason? Just read other reviews, cover pretty much all aspects. All the good reviews I think posted by new hired employees who are excited about their new jobs.
Do yourself a favour, avoid Dilawri Group, don't waste your time.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
almost everything
It's the team, no it's Family!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary9 August 2018
Working for the Dilawri organization can be very dynamic and challenging. That being said, I really enjoy working with the team of people around me. They make each day worth coming in, and its great to so so many people get promoted from within the company. Our car allowance excellent, and its really nice how all employees are eligible for it after working 3 years for the company. I don't think there are other places that do that.

Workplace culture is very team orientated, yet can be competitive in a fun way too.

Benefits are quite good too, and making claims with the online ap is very easy.

The hardest thing each day is the large amount of pressure that can occur, but working with a great team makes this much easier to deal with.

While everything is not perfect, its a very good company to work for, and after 18 years of being here I am happy that I chose a career here.
Pros
Dynamic, Good benefits, Great People, Car Allowance.
Cons
High pressure.
Great people, Great Community Support
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2018
I've worked for this company for 16 years. We are very fortunate to have a lot of great people. Check out the Dilawri Foundation, or Dilawri's support of the Ride to Conquer Cancer. We have a lot to offer, come check us out.
Great people and core values to match!
Parts (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2018
Being an employee of the Dilawri Group of Companies has been great so far. I’ve been treated fairly, and managers are keeping their doors open. It’s been much better than all previous automotive jobs I’ve had. This employer values passion, hard work, loyalty and a positive attitude. There’s amazing, talented and skilled people to work with, which will allow you to thrive and become better everyday. The company provides regular opportunities for training and they also promote from within.
Pros
Constant recognition, amazing co-workers, team environment
Cons
Nothing at the moment!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dilawri Group of Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5