DILAWRI GROUP OF COMPANIES Employee Reviews

Work here only if you're desperate and have no other options
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2018
I don't think it's any secret that the automotive industry in general can be a rough place to work, but Dilawri is without a doubt the worst there is. Loyalty means nothing to this company, either for employees or customers. They will send out mass emails ranking your job performance against other employees who dont even work for the same brand as you - for other employees and managers to see, on a weekly basis. They cut benefits three times in the time I was employed there. Excessive pay plan "re structuring" which always ended up with a pay decrease. When they realized how bad their turnover rate was, HR requested everyone give 5 star reviews instead of actually addressing any of the issues. You will be a number only at this company with no actual value as a person, being ranked on reports that have no logical benefit. And even if you rank highly on those reports, it will never be enough and upper management will find a reason to scrutinize your performance. If you dont like it, you'll be replaced by someone who will suffer through it quietly. Do yourself a favor and work for literally any other dealership that isn't a Dilawri store.
Pros
Co workers band together to survive
Cons
Everything else
Don't apply
Appointment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2018
They are not competitive in salary they will offer you way less. They even talk down to you during an interview asking why you're good enough to work for them. Save yourself the headache and avoid the company
Cons
This is not where you want to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgay19 September 2018
If you are considering a position with Dilawri, you should know that for the most part what you read in the negative reviews is accurate. The glowing reviews you read are solicited by HR to try to increase the rating as their reputation in the industry is terrible. Instead of listening to and valuing staff, the answer seems to be to fake it instead of fix it, and they somehow at the same time believe cutting pay will motivate and retain employees. People do not matter, everyone is disposable. The only thing that matters are the numbers. The mantra of promoting from within is a fallacy, as are the promises they make and do not keep. The owner and senior management run the company with an “if you don’t like it we’ll find someone who will and who will do it for less pay” attitude. Management at the dealership level is a title only so expect to be paid for it, appreciated for hard work, or be able to manage anything. While there are plenty of horrible places to work within the industry, there are far better groups or stores to work for. Dilawri believes you should be unwaveringly grateful to be part of their “team”. Having worked for larger companies than Dilawri, and in other industries, I firmly believe that being big is not an excuse for this mindset, many companies find ways to value what has gotten them there, the people who do the work day to day. Like the incredibly successful Richard Branson says “Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough, so they don't want to”.
Pros
Free lunch on Saturday and no background or reference checks if that is a pro for you.
Cons
Everything else.
Do Not Work For This Automotive Group
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2018
If you are looking for a short career where you will be talked down to and belittled in front of your peers by the director of operations, then this is the job for you. The focus is on doing dozens of reports when it should be on selling, the Owner is non-existent and if seen will not say hi to you. The Director of Operations is more focused on what company vehicle he should be driving than leading and coaching. You are just a number working for this company and he will constantly remind you that you are expendable. You will be expected to work over 60 hours a week and not be compensated. The pay is pathetic to say the least. They have grown to the size they are by saving money on pay plans. Do yourself a favour and steer clear of this company. There are better companies to work for. All of their veteran managers have left because of the director. The average person working there today has been there less than a year. Sad!
Pros
Cons
Owner, Director of Operations, Salary, Virbal Abuse.
Do yourself a favour - avoid this group
Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2018
before you apply any jobs in car business, make sure that dealership is not part of Dilawri Group. Reason? Just read other reviews, cover pretty much all aspects. All the good reviews I think posted by new hired employees who are excited about their new jobs.
Do yourself a favour, avoid Dilawri Group, don't waste your time.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
almost everything
It's the team, no it's Family!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary9 August 2018
Working for the Dilawri organization can be very dynamic and challenging. That being said, I really enjoy working with the team of people around me. They make each day worth coming in, and its great to so so many people get promoted from within the company. Our car allowance excellent, and its really nice how all employees are eligible for it after working 3 years for the company. I don't think there are other places that do that.

Workplace culture is very team orientated, yet can be competitive in a fun way too.

Benefits are quite good too, and making claims with the online ap is very easy.

The hardest thing each day is the large amount of pressure that can occur, but working with a great team makes this much easier to deal with.

While everything is not perfect, its a very good company to work for, and after 18 years of being here I am happy that I chose a career here.
Pros
Dynamic, Good benefits, Great People, Car Allowance.
Cons
High pressure.
Great people, Great Community Support
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2018
I've worked for this company for 16 years. We are very fortunate to have a lot of great people. Check out the Dilawri Foundation, or Dilawri's support of the Ride to Conquer Cancer. We have a lot to offer, come check us out.
Great people and core values to match!
Parts (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2018
Being an employee of the Dilawri Group of Companies has been great so far. I’ve been treated fairly, and managers are keeping their doors open. It’s been much better than all previous automotive jobs I’ve had. This employer values passion, hard work, loyalty and a positive attitude. There’s amazing, talented and skilled people to work with, which will allow you to thrive and become better everyday. The company provides regular opportunities for training and they also promote from within.
Pros
Constant recognition, amazing co-workers, team environment
Cons
Nothing at the moment!
Awesome company
Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2018
The company is performance driven and make no secret of that, but the rewards are fantastic and the support from management is as strong as I've experienced. Also with the continuous expansion there's no shortage of opportunities. I've had the pleasure of working with Dilawri for 4 years now in Calgary. The city has seen some tough economic times recently and despite this pay has remained good for all employees and moral stayed strong. If your looking for somewhere to start or continue progressing your career, I would strongly recommend Dilawri.
Pros
Support and opportunities
Cons
If you are thinking of applying ....
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2018
Don't do it.
There are always reasons why you should, but, overall it is true what has been already stated in previous reviews.
What's interesting to note that in the automotive industry, in general, people's advancement is linked to time served. That is to say you are promoted to manager without the necessary skills needed to manage people. A great sales person may be the best they can be selling vehicles. But put them in a managerial role, without any HR training or mentor-ship program, and watch the tides turn and staff head for the door.
What's worse is a large organization like this has the ability to change the way it promotes from within but ignores the telling signs of bad managers.
Pros
Overall staff ambition and eagerness
Cons
Managers
Avoid this group. Honestly.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2018
This group is 100% profit oriented. All they care about is short term profit maximization and being the largest group in Canada but NOT the best. Employees and customers get screwed so bad for that goal. This group is not interested in happy, loyal and proud employees. Same goes for customers. All businesses but the car industry in particular is driven by trust. I met quite a few current and former customers and 90% of their stories and experiences are negative. Terrible in some cases where it turns your stomach around.
As the owner having that much financial security already for myself and several generations, I would focus more on making this group awesome to work for and to do business with.
I personally thing it's just about making the overall numbers look great in order to sell the group even though it's internally broken.
I'm curious if the owner knows and approves what's going on here.
Pros
I like my direct coworkers
Cons
Beside the above novel, bad treatment and pay
Best career move I've ever made!
Parts Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 July 2018
I came to the Dilawri Family a few years ago and have never looked back, from being a the previous group for almost 10 years. I love how this group is all about progressive/forward thinking and always looking at the "big picture" but more importantly, The Dilawri Group is all about being customer and employee-focused, which of course you couldn't have one without the other in my humble opinion.

No workplace is perfect and with any family there are ups and downs, but there is a reason why this is the biggest automotive dealer group in Canada (and still growing!), and there's no way that could be possible without taking care of their employees, the communities, and last but not least, their customers.
Pros
Great employee benefits, Dyb, great management and great staff.
Cons
None.
Great family atmosphere
Shop Foreman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2018
I have worked.for the dilawri groups for just over 3 years now and have found them to be an awesome group to work for.i have been promoted from within from and I feel like I'm being heard and my ideas are taken into consideration. And some of them come to fruition. Every company has it's own set of quirks but I find that the dilawri groups a far and few between, coming from the last job I was at the atmosphere feels like .ore ot a family than it does a workplace.
Pros
Great benifits, great atmosphere, advancment from within
Great staff
Appointment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2018
You get to work with such great people. There is always something new to learn and new training is readily available to learn new technology and get a better understanding of how things work. I love the people I work with, the company is there to help you better yourself as an employee.
Pros
Hour lunch, no Sundays and stat holidays off.
Cons
Company could use some revamping of some management and better work life balance.
Worst culture I have seen!
General Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2018
I can honestly say in many, many years in the car business that I have never seen such a horrible display from a company. The empty promises, always having to fight for your rightful pay month to month. And when they finally give it to you, they act like they are doing you a favour! Employees have great ideas but these ideas ALWAYS go unheard. Advancement in this company is non-existent! What they say and what they actually do are two very different things! The one thing this company is good at is Micro- managing (if you like that sort of thing).
Pros
Saturday lunch
Cons
Everything else
Customer Focused/Career Driven
Internet Sales Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2018
The Dilawri Group of companies is a great place to work for.
My journey with Dilawri started two years ago and in that time I have acquired skills in my professional career that will stay with me in my future. I had an amazing manager who really cared about my life at work and at home. This company has been completely different than any other company I have worked for in the past because I felt a sense of importance that what I did made a difference. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a place to grow, learn and settle their roots.
Pros
Fun friendly atmosphere, accomodating
Cons
at times: workload
did not like working here
BDC- Appointment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2018
the day of work was awful
management was AWFUL
workplace culture meh
hardest part of the job, waking up every morning just to go into that bleep hole, worst job ive ever had.
the most enjoyable part of the job, when i got to go home
A great place to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  automall20 April 2018
if you're a hard working individual, you efforts will not go to waste with this corp. I've moved up quite quickly within this corp and i love it here.
Pros
always opportunity to grow within the company
Cons
can't think of any
Reports driven company with no care for there employees!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 March 2018
Focus driven on evaluating strictly by reports and financial statements, 3 months to 6 months turned around of there management team, with constant pressure to insure that the monthly financial statement looks good, it feels that this company is focus at leveraging there dealership rapidly so that the banks allows them to increase there finance line allowing them to purchase more dealerships, or maybe to prepare for an eventual stock option. They don’t take enough time for the personnel of a new acquisition to migrate towards there culture. With the massive amount of reporting needing to be done and reviewed for all levels of internal dealership management it is very challenging with only 10 hours work days for 6 days a week to be successful at maintaining a proper overall management of the daily, weekly and monthly duties.

Not a good group to work for!
Pros
Good reporting tools
Cons
No care for there staff. Long hours are expected more than normal.
Terrible management, would never work for Dilawri again.
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2018
Former technician that was enticed by the opening of a new dealership. Promises were made and not kept, shop was poorly designed and run even worse. Would never work for a Dilawri group company again in any capacity. Steer clear.
Pros
Brand new shop
Cons
No management, broken promises, no job security.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DILAWRI GROUP OF COMPANIES. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3