Digital Media Academy

Digital Media Academy Employee Reviews

I got to do what I love for money.

I have been obsessed with music production for a while, and when I saw a job posting needing someone who knew how to use Ableton, I applied right away. I was paid a solid wage for a 2 weeks of work, teaching high school students in an amazing university environment something I was a pro at. I felt smarter just being on the campus (DMA teaches only at top-ranked universities) A typical day is just having fun, assigning tasks and projects to students, monitoring the students, having a blast so to speak, and helping students with their questions about your craft and inspiring them to pursue their dreams.

Exciting opportunity for residential youth work

Fair compensation with residential accommodations for camp counselors. The kids really enjoyed being there and made the job more fun and creative. Range of international and out-of-state residents opens up the cultural boundaries allowing other students to engage in diverse populations. One thing I would improve is the budget flexibility, i.e. allowing us to carry over $10/day per kid (forgot the exact amount) to save up for one big excursion or activity for the campers. Hoping for more after-school opportunities in the future or professional development of more than just a seasonal position.

Pros

Free lunches, dorm room, board games/recreational activities accessible, nice work/life balance.

Cons

No benefits, no growth/professional development available

Amazing company

I had such an awesome time working here. 100% recommend, I learned so much. Great work environment and they really care about their employees!! I miss it!

Good summer job as a student

This job is easy going, really friendly staff, and pays pretty well for not having a degree yet. Management is a little questionable, but otherwise, it was a great gig.

Pros

free lunches every day, very laid back, pays well

Cons

questionable management

Great workplace

Working for this company allowed me to grow in various fields and learn new skills. It was a fantastic place to meet like-minded people and work collaboratively to offer a fun and exciting program for students.

Thrown to the Pups

The company seems great, but there isn't much in employee training and they just expect you to know how to manage classroom behavior and the management isn't very helpful with dealing with incidents that effect your work hours. Either you show up for your shift on time, depsite getting sick, or you get reprimanded. They weren't very kind when my car broke down and I couldn't afford a taxi every day so I took public transit, which is not reliable and constantly got scolded for the buses being late.

Great sense of community

It was a fun place to work with hard working staff. My supervisor was a always more than supportive and my assistant director always did his best to ensure we were successful.

Amazing Experience

It was such a joy to be able to teach kids about the wonderful world of art and animation. all the kids were respectful the staff was amazing and I would happily do it again in a heartbeat.

Summer Camp from the inferno regions

Residential Coordinators are paid 400$ per month with no weekends off and expected to work from 7 am until 1 am with "occassional breaks" this was a joke of a place to work and the harassment from a particular director led to me being embarassed and feeling bullied.

Summer program that integrated technology with practical skills.

This program offers a variety of courses for children and teenagers. Management certainly had room for improvement. Rewarding do to the students- DMA truly ensures each child comes away from the program with something to bring home that is of their own creation.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Digital Media Academy?

Fun workplace with challenges everyday which must be solved as a team

Working at DMA can prove to be a difficult task; however, it is always enjoyable. From my experience, even if you are quite knowledgeable about a particular subject, you may face issues such as not having all the necessary equipment or the most effective management. Most employees are as experienced and excited as you are and thus, with teamwork, you are able to reach the goals of the week with your students and coworkers.

Pros

Good compensation

Cons

Possibly extra work

Very fun workplace

Great coworkers & supervisors, lots of fun activities, and more than enough resources to teach my curriculum. Though sometimes difficult with students on a case by case basis, the most enjoyable part was finding a unique way to connect the curriculum to each student.

Hard, rewarding work for fair pay

Typical day includes teaching/TAing classes as small as 5 students and as large as 20. Curriculums are well made. Days are 8-11 hours, management always there to help. Things are often done at a moments notice and does not always operate as planned. Supplies don't always show up on time and strong critical thinking and improvisational skills are required. It can be a stressful job, and the kids can be a lot to deal with, but the pay is very good

Pros

good pay, informal environment

Cons

Stressful, tiring

Great People and Great Kids

Great Time with coworkers, meeting new people, making new friends. Teach kids useful topics and things they will use in their future careers and hopefully change lives.

Quick paced

Work environment was definitely quick paced, but that can often be a good thing. It's fun working with the students. Management is very responsive when issues come up.

I would highly recommend Digital Media Academy to teach at! I do think that the business is run very well, very organized and the majority of the coworkers I had were awesome coworkers!

A Nice Summer Gig

If you're looking for summer work and are into technology and teaching, then I would recommend this company to you. Even if you don't feel confident in your teaching ability, I think it's a great opportunity for you to grow with the students.

Pros

Free Lunch, Compensation, Long Breaks

Cons

Temporary

It was a great summer job

it was a great job if you are looking for experience in logistics or warehousing. it was faced paced and there where lot of deadlines, but I learned a lot.

Practice makes perfect.

DMA gave me the guideline to take my filmmaking expertise into a enrichment teaching format! As a Creative - one of our biggest responsibilities has to be bestowing helpful information onto the next generation!

Pros

Structure & Competition

Cons

Traveling Compensation for Work

Responsive staff, cool culture, and fulfilling to the right people

While teaching jobs are certainly not for everyone, I enjoyed my time at Digital Media Academy at my specific location. The work culture is positive - everyone wants to help out, but your experience may differ depending on who is where and where your location is. My biggest gripes with Digital Media Academy are the little things out of their control, such as difficult staff parking at the locations, no automatic meal coverage, and sometimes spotty internet connections, all of which are dependent on the college host location. If you are not close to the college they are hosting out of, be prepared for city rush hour commutes. As for the work itself, you get new students every week, ranging from elementary to high school level. Class sizes can vary depending on the course, which may lead to different stress levels. However, as a whole, if you are a person with the right skill set that lines up with what they are trying to teach students, chances are you will have a great time employed here as a temporary summer position.

Pros

Access to Technology equipment, good pay, good work culture, will work with you for housing if you are out of town, temporary work

Cons

Potential long commutes, No compensation for parking or meals, Long days, No additional benefits

Good Summer Job

I worked here as an Assistant Director and as a Director for multiple years. It can be stressful when you're first starting out in any role I presume (TA, counselor, etc) but once you get the hang of it, then you learn how to manage your time and work efficiently. I didn't have to deal as much with the heat in the classrooms, but I imagine that's a problem for instructors. Classrooms get HOT, schools cut AC and it gets muggy. Also, sometimes classes are cancelled when not enough students sign up, which sucks for instructors and TAs. But as a director it was good, decent pay for a summer camp and it looks good on my resume. Parents are demanding or annoying sometimes, but if you've worked in customer service you're used to it. Also, logistics can be a pain if something goes wrong. Staff members are generally great to work with and the corporate departments are responsive when there's a crisis. Budgets are also a pain to work around, but that's no different from any job. For a summer camp temp job, it's good and I'd recommend if the person doesn't mind hard work.

Pros

access to cool equipment and software, flexible schedules if you're an instructor or TA

Cons

long days on Monday, some co-workers burn out or get lazy, and you have to cover their work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Digital Media Academy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement