DialogueDirect Employee Reviews for Fundraiser

Do not work here
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NY8 March 2019
It's a very sketchy company with unpleasant working conditions. Sales goals are miserable and unrealistic. Constantly having to hired new employees and do not like management.
Learn a lot, Not for everyone
Summer Intern Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 August 2018
It's not an easy job if you are not outgoing and personable. That can be learned, but a lot of people dropped within the first few days. You are on your feet all day, and it can be mentally and physically draining. I was lucky to be placed with such an awesome team that most days it was due to them that I continued. Overall I learned a lot about myself and what I am capable of. If you work with great people, the day will go quickly and you will learn a lot from them as well.
Pros
Great people, good compensation if you succeed
Cons
Long days, mentally and physically exhausting
Official response from DialogueDirect
13 September 2018

We appreciate your feedback and review! Constant learning and team mentality are two of our values, so it is great to hear how much you were able to grow during your internship in New York. We understand that the role can challenge us mentally and physically since we are communicating with people through the day and working to empower others. As it may not be a perfect fit for everyone, we do agree with you that it helps people learn and utilize their potential. All the while gain the rewards of team comradery and good compensation. Thank you again for sharing your takeaways and your great work this summer!

Ok company
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC28 July 2018
The jobs it fun and you get to meet a lot of cool people. Fun meetings. This is a great summer job and that is it. No job security at all!!!! Long days outside in rain, heat and snow. You have to work non-stop to meet goals. You feel like your being pushed all the time, with no breaks.
Pros
Bonus with donors and employees referrals
Cons
Long days in all types of weather. Standing all day.
You meet some great people but thats pretty much it.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NY19 March 2018
Dialogue Direct is a place where you grow as a person. You can tell when people BS you and when people are sincere. I met some of the most amazing people here and some not so amazing. The job is never advertised for what it truly is. IT IS A CANVASSING JOB! Nothing bad of course. If you have never canvassed and are curious, give it a try, you may actually find out you are good at being persuasive and signing people up. There is a quota you have to meet every week after your "training period". Don't worry you will get paid for training. You will work in any condition, (rain, snow, hail, extreme heat) you name it. Even if it rains cats and dogs. This job is not for everyone. If you like working in an environment where its hard to tell the good from the false than this job is for you. Also, you have to learn stuff on your own since not everything is explained. The pay scale is not for everyone.
Pros
Amazing co workers, network with random strangers on the streets
Cons
Low Pay, No job work/ life balance
Pyramid scheme. Stay away
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL11 January 2018
A thankless, cut-throat job. It's a pyramid scheme. You sign up donors, and everyone above you gets a cut of what you bring in. The coworkers are fun and there is a collegial environment, but if you don't sign up 7 people per week consistently, you'll get fired. Upper management and some team leads have done shady stuff to get signups. Avoid this company at all costs.
Official response from DialogueDirect
9 August 2018

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the team atmosphere in our Chicago campaign. Our mission is to connect our charity partners with great donors to foster real and lasting change – so we have standards to ensure we’re supporting that mission and not taking away from it.

Training and support is provided for every individual joining our team to make sure they develop the skillset necessary for such difficult, but rewarding, work. We’re proud and appreciative of our team leaders and reward them for their extensive effort and time helping grow our teams. Investing in our team members and leaders is a cornerstone of the culture to improve every day and continue to be at the forefront of fundraising organizations across the world. If you have specific concerns you would like to follow up on, please contact us at cola@dialoguedirect.com.

Never a dull moment
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA11 September 2017
First let me say the office is purple! Such a welcoming environment, everyone wants to help you grow, and the morning meeting make every morning a lot lighter. The job is very upbeat, as long as you make an effort and stay in the box of expectations they are a less strict about quota.
Pros
Upbeat, Fun
Good Place
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA28 July 2017
It's relaxed, we come in to work, practice your pitch, have motivational team meetings and then go out onto the field. One hour lunch break and two 15 min breaks.
Amazing place for a college student to jump start career
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NY29 February 2016
Dialogue is a really amazing place to work, the passion that my coworkers had was awesome as well as the type of culture that was produced the only draw back is working in the winter, they don't provide with indoor sites and expects people to work in extreme conditions. Management was great until they fired/Jamal quit.. Management has made it clear that employees are not their number one concern because money and making sales and hitting numbers is their priority. Some coworkers are very gossipy and nosy, but all in all, its still a great place to work on your skills and become a better not only employee but a better person.
Pros
environment
Cons
higher ups
Good experience, get what you want out of it and get out
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 February 2016
I am a former employee of Dialogue Direct. I think that you will definitely learn useful skills and build a confidence that will get you anywhere in life.

But they pay you next to nothing. Unless youre awesome at it. If you are awesome at it then by all means make some money and hang out with cool people. If youre less than awesome then know exactly what you want to get out of the experience, get it, and move on.

The upper management doesnt care about you all, if you dont produce they will let you go with little to no warning and they have been known to promote people who do not embody the culture they CLAIM to have and people who genuinely believe in the cause are not cultivated to their highest potential.
Pros
some awesome people work here
Cons
you work outside in Chicago in the winter, management doesnt care, high pressure/stress, brainwashing
A place were you can always smile.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL7 February 2016
On a typical day I would arrive to the office at 9 in the morning, and right away begin to pitch to my colleagues and prepare for the day, this went on for about 30 minutes while everyone finished arriving then we began the team building meeting were we would do ice breaker activities to prepare ourselves for the rest of the day. By 1030 we are out the door and walk to our sites to begin fundraising. This job taught me how to always be on my toes, expect the unexpected while to talking to people out in the street. It also taught me how to approach and talk to different people from businessmen to house wives. However, one flaw of the job is dealing with the elements and sometimes rude people. The best part of the job was seeing the face of the people who signed up and knew that their money was going to be used for the right reasons. Another great aspect of the job was my colleagues and managers.
Great experience - Amazing people to work with
Fundraising (Former Employee) –  New York, NY15 December 2015
I worked at Dialogue Direct - New York for a few months but had to stop because schedule at my second job changed but trust me, this place changed my life completely. You need to have a positive mind set and if you don't have one you will build one working for them. The management are the most supportive and professional you could ever imagine. Your co-workers are motivators and caring. If you are considering working to save children lives I strong recommend DD not because of their cause but also the positive impact you will encounter within yourself. WOW..!!
Pros
Great attitude, Amazing people, Saving kids lives, Free lunch + RedBull
Cons
Some days are slow
My days of baby-saving
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL26 September 2014
I found this job from an ad on Craigslist which already sounds strange enough, right? I received a call out of the blue one day and it was from DD and I was surprised to say the least and still a little bit confused on what I was going to be doing (the ad was a bit vague but intriguing). So I went to the interview anyway because I really needed a job and I wanted to work with children. DD workers are fundraisers who work for a company called Children International. Not only do we interrupt your routine on the streets of Chicago but we helped people save a child that was living in poverty at that very moment. My co-workers were some of the most diverse, interesting, creative, and talented people I had ever met! We were all very young so we connected very easily. We were all artists trying to be a part of something better. We worked from about 10:30 AM to 6:00 PM (sometimes longer) every day. The hardest part for me was definitely the hours. We were on our feet all day long, talking to hundreds of people, with only 1-3 breaks a day. It was tough but I loved that experience.
Pros
saving children, meeting cool people, exploring downtown, connections
Cons
work hours
Fun work environment
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 May 2014
Doing humanitarian work and interacting with New Yorkers everyday is very fun and fulfilling. Beware as canvasing isn't for everyone. It's hard work and required persistence but if you can get the hang of it, it is a blast and your saving lives in the process. The people you will be interacting with will definitely have a lasting effect on your view of the world.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Rain, snow, sun, you're outside, dealing with all of it
Great empolyees
Children Fundraiser Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA10 May 2013
A typical day at this empolyment was overwhelming but yet a pleasant ecxperinece. My co-workers and manager were patient and respectful at all times.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Outside work place, hours
Creative Work Environment
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA1 July 2012
My time at Dialogue Direct was one of the best experiences of my life. This company allows you to be as creative with your approach as you want to be and always pushes you to go above and beyond what you believe your capable of. Street Fundraising is one of the most difficult jobs anyone could ever have. It pushes and tests everything about yourself, but also teaches you a great deal about who you are as a person, how to deal with rejection, how to deal with the people in this world, and how to speak to people in a way that sells your passion and ideas. The downside to this job and this company is the stress involved. Quite simply if you don't get certain numbers you're fired, which creates a sort of downward cycle where you're not doing well one day, then you get stressed, then you continue not to do well, then you get more stressed, so on and so forth. This job is not for someone who doesn't do well under pressure. It's grueling, exhausting, and can be emotionally draining. It can also be easy, wonderful, and inspiring depending entirely on your mindset and how you're choosing to look at the world. This job is either for you or it's not, and when it's for you it's the most incredible job a person could have. When it's not, it's the worst.

A day in the Life:

You get to the office no later than 10 am preferably you'll be there by 9:50 am, then you'll do a short bit of paper work. There will be some sort of inspirational talk or video before leaving the office sometimes but for the most part you wait until everyone arrives and then head to site for the day. Once you get to
  more... site there's a team talk telling you what your goals are, and inspiring you to achieve them. The first part of the day lasts until 1pm when you have a 40 minute break for lunch. During this time you're standing in the middle of the sidewalk with your charity gear and approaching people as they walk down the street. It's your job to stop them, build rapport and a strong connection, then convince them to sign up with the charity. The second part of the day lasts from 1:40 to 4:00pm by this time it's best if you've signed up at least 1 person. By 4, you should hopefully be on no less than 1. The last part of the day goes from 4- 6pm, and by 6 you need to be on 3. The minimum requirement for a day is 3, 15 for a week, and if you get less than that too often you'll be put on amber target, if you don't make amber target you'll be put on red target. If you don't make that target then you're fired. Like I said, it can be stressful. But you also get to stand on a street having a blast with your coworkers, being absolutely ridiculous, and having fun with random strangers you'll probably never see again.  less
Pros
full health care after 3 months, commision, fun creative enviornment
Cons
stressful, short breaks, tiring