DialogueDirect Employee Reviews for Canvasser

Needs improvement in structure
Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA2 December 2018
This is basically a sales base job. You do not work for the charity you work for the fundraiser CANVASSING. If you are good at being persuasive then it will be a good job. You have a quota that has to be met every week or you will be let go. However the most successful employees are mainly successful because they work overtime during week. Late nights and Saturdays due to pressure of losing job if quota is not met. They appear to be passionate about the cause but that is mainly due to the pay increase when you get a certain amount of donors. They have a travel incentive for their top fundraisers or at least the ones they like.

In all they are passionate about the cause because the payout can provide for you if you are willing to dedicate 50+ hours a week. I honestly don't know if they realize how much time they devote to meet their quotas. So work life balance is non existent if you want to succeed. Training is pretty sub par especially in the field because the team leads are still required to meet the weekly quotas while training you so they may not be as helpful if they're having a slow week. Which causes them to be overworked. Some team leads were under the influence while at work. VERY HIGH TURNOVER. Your day is standing out in front of high traffic areas around the city. You're responsible for your travel with this company. Other canvassing companies in LA provide transportation to the site locations. This one does not.

Relaxed dress code. If you buy in and indulge your entire self into the job you should be successful. If not they will pretend you
  more... were never there. Some employees are nice but others are very intense. Good short term job at best if you're not deemed a favorite.  less
Official response from DialogueDirect
28 January 2019

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review so we want to make sure we address your feedback. DialogueDirect partners with amazing charities to help them fight their causes long term. We focus on consistent performance and setting goals so that we can support those charity missions. Team members join because of their passion for the cause and are also excited for travel and financial growth opportunities. These are earned through performance and being a positive team player, not through personal preference.

Every full time team member is designated 40 hours per week. If a shift or hours are missed, team members can make that time up within the same week. Within that time, our leaders are trained to lead by example so that they can best guide others and build good relationships. One of our pillars of success is a student mentality (the others being positive attitude and work ethic). If extra training is needed from any team member, we encourage asking for help and we are glad to provide that support.

To get to our sites a transit benefit card is provided. It is up to our team members on how they will use it. It is understandable that it is not a role for everyone, but we are glad to provide an opportunity where people are willing to challenge themselves, make a difference, and grow their career.

I would welcome you to reach out if you would like to discuss any more details about team members working under the influence. We take this very seriously and would appreciate any further conversation. Feel free to contact Christina at cola@dialoguedirect.com.

Raising money for great charities
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC17 January 2018
At first DialogueDirect is a great job, especially for people right out of college. Very young workplace with average age between 20 and 23. Work for great charities and feel like you're making a difference. During my time I raised the equivalent of $100,000/year. After a while however, canvassing loses its appeal. Through constant rejection and having to stand in the weather, the turnover rate is almost impressive. Not for the weak, but if you can stand it, a very rewarding job.
Pros
Ability to quickly grow
Cons
Basically required overtime to hit targets
Productive but hard to balance outside life
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NY17 October 2017
Do not I repeat do not be fooled by the payout you see here!!!!! Payout is low and everyone tries to prentend it's a great place work but the higher ups are not so great...they stay inside and work while you get paid chump change and hope for commission...so if you like working outside it's for you!! If not beware don't do this job unless it's your last option..and short breaks. Nor do they really care about the charities from their heart they only want the commission. The commission is hard to get because not everyone is willing to pull their card out in the street but some people do it's not impossible but more people will walk away from you. You do have some fun but just think about it and research before you do it!!!
Pros
Possibility for commission and growth
Cons
Short breaks, low pay
A fun working environment great experience but at times can be stressful.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NY27 June 2017
It's great but it's not for everyone.There are number goals.The can be stressful if you're doing a wild one week but not keeping a consistent There's added pressure to do Better.It can be hard because while you're working your the face of whatever charity your soliciting for.And say someone doesn't have a good experience a that charity.Some people take it out on you ,And while you out there your the face of the charity so you can't say arnything negative back.And sometimes it's not just one person it's everyone you talk to So It can get to be too much.You need to have thick skin. Otherwise you won't be able to do this job.
Pros
Diverse environment great co-workers Great learning experience
Cons
Can be stressful
Great work place for determined people with strong communication skills
Core Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA9 November 2014
Dialogue DIrect has been an amazing time for me. It has taught me so much about the organization and also about other organizations in this field. DD gave me a set of skills which I would never have gotten anywhere else, and that alone is really special. I have never been a shy person or afraid to speak with someone, however this set of skills has put me on a completely different level. Most people that work there are and actually stick around for long (many people come and go) are great and very interesting. I do have to say that management is great, however the pay system has few problems and glitches even though they are rare, I only had a problem once. THe hardest part of the job is definitely mental state of mind, because when you spend 6 hours of your day trying to sign someone up for the charity and everyone just seems to not care at all, it gets very hard to keep an optimistic mindset. The best part of the job is the opportunities that it gives you to advance in the organization quickly if you put enough work into it. The pay is great, and the work doesn't feel like work half the time.
Pros
Fun Environment, Real DIfference
Cons
Standing all day outside no matter the weather
It's is stressful to make the world a better place
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA17 January 2014
Arrive at the office in the morning and then go out to the field with your team and spend the day interacting with strangers. You cant fear rejection in this job, because that is the majority of the day. The most enjoyable thing about this job is the good karma you are putting out into the world by helping these children in poverty get the things that they really need. There is no job security and you must reach your quota every week.
Pros
doing something great for the world, meeting new people can be fun, the other canvassers are typically very good to be around
Cons
can get stressful, no job security