Diabetes Canada Employee Reviews

Amazing, Fun Environment to be
FUNDRAISING ORGANIZER (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 May 2018
I loved working here as a summer student.
We travelled to Banting House in London for meetings, and took a tour of the "birthplace of insulin".

The Windsor Branch has an amazing Manager who is knowledgable, thoughtful, and considerate.

I learned so much about diabetes, and was able to put my fundraising and community building skills to great use.
Pros
Cons
Position was only a contract
Not for Profit Dealing with People affected by Diabetes
COMMUNITY HEALTH PROMOTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 May 2018
Good workplace environment, looking to move toward community development, foundations, events and service clubs. Offers an excellent camp for children with type 1 diabetes and literature for Adults with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Also provides a website and webinars.
A great company to volunteer for
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2018
I have been a volunteer canvaser and team captain for years now. They have always been great at communication and set-up each year. I have never had any problems. The other team members are almost always just as enthusiastic.
Poor managment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB16 April 2018
Was told they had no record of my drop offs. Wasn’t even paid enough to cover my fuel costs. Mangment would not look into the matter at all. It is a good cause, but a terrible place to work.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Not getting paid
Don't work here
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 April 2018
Let go over made up reasons after a life altering work place injury. Management is a joke constantly getting phone calls or emails on days off. Over worked. Work load stated 25lbs to chest hight but management expected alot more
Would never recommend
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge8 March 2018
Promise you the world but deliver on nothing. No guaranteed hours. Constant cutting of hours. Never know how long you will work. Dirty Job. Poor wages.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON8 February 2018
As a current employee i will say if your afraid of hard work this isn't the job for you, i really enjoy my job, good management, salary is great in 5 months i have received over 700$ in bonuses for my hard work. Fast paced job, ya you might cram alot of hours in a short period tbe reward is having multiple days off, i enjoy the over time pay, couldn't be happier just passed my 6 month Mark and got my raise. Great job all around
Pros
Good money and shifts
fun workplace
Material Handler (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 January 2018
A typical day consisted of a short meeting with the supervisor, which would consist of station and call area assignment, so you would be given the station you were going to work on that particular day and the area you would be calling. After the meeting we would go to our assigned stations and start making calls.

The workplace culture was positive, we were like a family we connected to each and it felt like we had known each other for a long time it was really great.
Job not as posted
Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 January 2018
I was hired for this job based on the job description.
The job description does not match the job so I was forced to leave.
This job is for truck driver with truck driving experience as the truck is a 5 ton wiith a 20 ft box.The job is very psychical which I did not mind.
The people you work with are very nice and they work hard. The expectation of the work that can be done by one person is unreasonable and I feel it could leave injured and you are all by your self. The way the route are schedule when I was there it should be a two people job most of the day. Also what is not in the description is it is mostly long haul trucking going to the out town to pick up
after the full time guy is done working all day And working weekends.
This job should save for description
Experienced Truck driver in good shape as there a lot of labour involved
Able to work hand held computer control.
Available ever weekend as it part of your work week.
Loading and unloading by hand bombing ever shift.
They did pay alright for the posting they had but base on the job and the experience you need truck driver it is a little low. This real is a two person job at most times unless they changes thing around.
Thanks
Bad job
Driver (Former Employee) –  BC12 December 2017
Job is 12-15 hours a day of hard labour in heat and snow. Loading a truck trying to meet impossible quotas. The truck is not maintained and isn’t safe to operate. Donations are wasted and broken and just destroyed. No management support. Dispatching is insulting. They treat you like a child and expect you to dedicate your entire life to the job. Pay is an absolute joke. I worked 2 weeks I make 800$ and my finger tips were bleeding from throwing thousands of 20lb bags. Stay away unless you don’t value your health or sanity
Pros
Paid to exercise
Cons
Everything else.
Great cause
Senior Manager, Strategic Communications (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2017
There is a great deal of commitment at Diabetes Canada to help the millions of Canadians affected by diabetes. This makes the environment compelling. There is an urgent need and everyone is doing their best to make a difference.
good environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 October 2017
I am really glad to be a volunteer in Diabetes association. although it is a very short time to help them with some activities, I learned some of information of this organization.
Excellent place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2017
Excellent place to work, great work-life balance, challenging work, the staff are motivated to make a difference to the lives of diabetics.
I would recommend it to anyone
Totally misleading
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 July 2017
I applied and got a job promising part time hours and a "bit" of lifting.
I ended up doing 15 hours a day filling a big truck a few times a day.
I left before my first week was done because I was scheduled for every day of the week at 15 hour days.
The pay was good but it's more work than it's worth.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Misleading hours and type of work
Great cause
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC13 June 2017
I believe in CDA. I have a daughter with diabetes and had used some of the services offered. I answered the phone and booked pickup appointments. It was at times difficult dealing with rude people, but overall I enjoyed helping out this organization.
Pros
part time
Cons
public were often rude
Was good until upper management got involved
Truck Driver (part time) (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 June 2017
The only good thing I can say is the money was good, but you had to work for it. As a part time employee a 14 hour day was not uncommon. It would be a great place to work if upper management would let the office managers do the managing.
Pros
Money
Cons
Upper management
Focused on research, kids camp and public programs and services
Manager, Donor Relations (Former Employee) –  University Ave and Dundas Ave2 June 2017
Managing, coaching and mentoring 5 staff is ongoing to be able to provide the highest service possible to our donors.

Reviewing phone calls and email request is extremely important to maintain current donor information and a clean database.
Pros
Long weekends from Easter to Labour Day are 4 days
Cons
3 hr travel time each day
What I can give to the workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2017
In the workplace I would want to enjoy my time while working, helping customers, and most importantly getting the job done while being safe wherever I work. I would also make sure that the customers are happy and are dealt with first. If I have any questions, I would ask for help.
Pros
Having great coworkers
nice place to work
Telephone Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 May 2017
relaxed environment
quiet office
nice staff
older people on the day shift
younger people on the night shift
and they also give the option to work from home
Good place of work and coworkers- poor hours,
Cus Ser. Rep (Former Employee) –  explorer Road, Mississauga5 May 2017
It is good place to work, very good guidance and co operation from supervisor & manager. you learn lot by talking with different people and clients for their various problems and needs.

overall it is very strong association having a various departments and personal .
Pros
very cooperative coworkers and managers
Cons
hours are not enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Diabetes Canada. Our community is ready to answer.