Diabetes Canada Employee Reviews

working from home
Customer service rep (Current Employee) –  Home Based10 October 2018
sitting st computer for 6 hours making phone calls for donation. ive learned a lot of patients and be kind even in difficult situations. I love my job here just not the hours. im very dependable and love working on my own.
With many changes field staff are often the first to be eliminated and overworked.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 September 2018
Colleagues were nice. Moral was low. Advanced software platforms (CRM). Upper management did not make informed decisions that affected the field work.
Pros
flexible
Cons
stressful
Fun and charitable work place
Administrative Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2018
I did my Intern position with Diabetes canada.
Very good workplace and trained in Ms Access application.
Work culture is Non profit and concentrated on fund raising events.
Pros
Management is very helpful
Cons
limited vacancies
a typical day at work
Telephone Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 September 2018
I worked at phoning people on a list, and phoning them to obtain information about their household. I worked for part-time and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pros
phoning
Cons
doing the work
Cancerous management. Unreachable bonuses
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 September 2018
The 5 star review was written by the current manager in London. He is a joke and lies through his teeth.

I was trained on easier routes for my first week with another driver. Then as soon as I was alone my route was expanded and I was expected to work 13 hours on a daily basis.

The pay is only good once you hit overtime. They don't mind paying overtime because they are already under paying you. They can't keep staff so there was always overtime available. However, If you do manage to hit overtime, your body is in such rough shape struggling to get there that it's not really worth it.

A typical day is lifting a combination of bags of clothes or boxes of other smaller things (electronics, toys, kitchen stuff, etc.) weighing a total of 6-8000lbs. You would load this into the truck and then unload it out of the truck in the middle of your run. Driving on average 100km in the route.

Bonuses are few and far between. The most I ever heard someone earned was $37 for a 2 week bonus. There is also a bonus for 100% pick up. This is unachievable because someone always forgets or isn't called. Yet they keep this bonus around, why?

Most people quit without giving notice and don't look back.

Morale there is so low, yet head office doesn't step in and fix things.
Pros
Discount at value village
Cons
Cancerous manager, long days, extremely high expectations
productive place to start experience with
IT Helpdesk Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2018
best work place for experience and knowledge
best environment for starters who want to boost self esteem
best people at most when you work with and they teach you really well detailed
Volunteer, no pay
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
I was a great and professional place to work in.
I was volunteering my time for work experience and part of training course
Administrator and staff were friendly and everyone in the office was great to work with
Amazing, Fun Environment to be
FUNDRAISING ORGANIZER (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 May 2018
I loved working here as a summer student.
We travelled to Banting House in London for meetings, and took a tour of the "birthplace of insulin".

The Windsor Branch has an amazing Manager who is knowledgable, thoughtful, and considerate.

I learned so much about diabetes, and was able to put my fundraising and community building skills to great use.
Pros
Cons
Position was only a contract
Job restructed
Weekend Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB22 May 2018
This job has since been restructured and us no longer available. It was fairly straight forward. Would sit there and help people as them came in to donate their clothes.
Not for Profit Dealing with People affected by Diabetes
COMMUNITY HEALTH PROMOTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 May 2018
Good workplace environment, looking to move toward community development, foundations, events and service clubs. Offers an excellent camp for children with type 1 diabetes and literature for Adults with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Also provides a website and webinars.
A great company to volunteer for
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2018
I have been a volunteer canvaser and team captain for years now. They have always been great at communication and set-up each year. I have never had any problems. The other team members are almost always just as enthusiastic.
Poor managment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB16 April 2018
Was told they had no record of my drop offs. Wasn’t even paid enough to cover my fuel costs. Mangment would not look into the matter at all. It is a good cause, but a terrible place to work.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Not getting paid
Don't work here
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 April 2018
Let go over made up reasons after a life altering work place injury. Management is a joke constantly getting phone calls or emails on days off. Over worked. Work load stated 25lbs to chest hight but management expected alot more
Would never recommend
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge8 March 2018
Promise you the world but deliver on nothing. No guaranteed hours. Constant cutting of hours. Never know how long you will work. Dirty Job. Poor wages.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON8 February 2018
As a current employee i will say if your afraid of hard work this isn't the job for you, i really enjoy my job, good management, salary is great in 5 months i have received over 700$ in bonuses for my hard work. Fast paced job, ya you might cram alot of hours in a short period tbe reward is having multiple days off, i enjoy the over time pay, couldn't be happier just passed my 6 month Mark and got my raise. Great job all around
Pros
Good money and shifts
fun workplace
Material Handler (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 January 2018
A typical day consisted of a short meeting with the supervisor, which would consist of station and call area assignment, so you would be given the station you were going to work on that particular day and the area you would be calling. After the meeting we would go to our assigned stations and start making calls.

The workplace culture was positive, we were like a family we connected to each and it felt like we had known each other for a long time it was really great.
Job not as posted
Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 January 2018
I was hired for this job based on the job description.
The job description does not match the job so I was forced to leave.
This job is for truck driver with truck driving experience as the truck is a 5 ton wiith a 20 ft box.The job is very psychical which I did not mind.
The people you work with are very nice and they work hard. The expectation of the work that can be done by one person is unreasonable and I feel it could leave injured and you are all by your self. The way the route are schedule when I was there it should be a two people job most of the day. Also what is not in the description is it is mostly long haul trucking going to the out town to pick up
after the full time guy is done working all day And working weekends.
This job should save for description
Experienced Truck driver in good shape as there a lot of labour involved
Able to work hand held computer control.
Available ever weekend as it part of your work week.
Loading and unloading by hand bombing ever shift.
They did pay alright for the posting they had but base on the job and the experience you need truck driver it is a little low. This real is a two person job at most times unless they changes thing around.
Thanks
Bad job
Driver (Former Employee) –  BC12 December 2017
Job is 12-15 hours a day of hard labour in heat and snow. Loading a truck trying to meet impossible quotas. The truck is not maintained and isn’t safe to operate. Donations are wasted and broken and just destroyed. No management support. Dispatching is insulting. They treat you like a child and expect you to dedicate your entire life to the job. Pay is an absolute joke. I worked 2 weeks I make 800$ and my finger tips were bleeding from throwing thousands of 20lb bags. Stay away unless you don’t value your health or sanity
Pros
Paid to exercise
Cons
Everything else.
Great cause
Senior Manager, Strategic Communications (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2017
There is a great deal of commitment at Diabetes Canada to help the millions of Canadians affected by diabetes. This makes the environment compelling. There is an urgent need and everyone is doing their best to make a difference.
good environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 October 2017
I am really glad to be a volunteer in Diabetes association. although it is a very short time to help them with some activities, I learned some of information of this organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Diabetes Canada. Our community is ready to answer.