Diabetes Canada Employee Reviews

Not for profit
Office Manager, Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 February 2019
Created awareness of diabetes and focus on helping those newly diagnosed. Multi tasking a requirement of the position. Fund raising experience would be helpful.
Pros
Helping people with diabetes
Cons
lots of changes in leadership
truck driver
DZ Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 February 2019
job was really good other the not full time would have stayed working for they if was full time had great people working there was a fun place to work
amazing place to work
Ontario Program Head (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON18 January 2019
this organization is a very informative and rewarding workplace. It is long hours, but the best job I have ever had. I have been able to learn and develop amazing skills that I would not have learned at any other summer part-time job!
Great working environment with strong leadership support provided.
Tele-recruiter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2019
Have been working for this A1 Non-Profit Organization for close to 20 years and have enjoyed every year with them. Strong support and helpful input from the supervisory team always welcome and offered.
Poor company to work for
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2019
Very poor company to work for don't care about the drivers god help you if you get hurt and can't drive they take away your holiday pay and fire you and write on your roe you quit op supervisor insult you . Runs booked out of alberta if you don't meet you quota you writen up they ask you to drive more then allowed by law and then ask you to change your log book so there butts are covered management in head office is a joke they say they listen but never do any thing to help but all you get is more lies if you want to work hard get treated like you replaceable this is a job for you office staff lie and gossip about other drivers manager and op supervizors get bonus off the backs of the drivers that never see a bonus and if you do its 30.00 and they make sure
It all most impossible to get was there a year work 10 to 12 hr a day loading and off loading 4500 to 6400 lbs of clothing and house wares and never seen a bonus if you want to reman sane and healthy stay far far away from this company not worth the stress or worse that can and will happen to you
Pros
Co- workers
Cons
Long hours poor pay, unsafe work areas, poor maintain trucks, puts you at risk for tickets
poor employer
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC26 November 2018
If you like mandatory OT nearly everyday, unrealistic routes, a horribly one sided new union contract and management that doesn't care about it's employees this is a good place for you to work.

It was a great place to work prior to some upper management changes. Since then it's taken a complete U-turn.

There are better driver positions available with other companies and I recommend pursuing other options.
Bad place
Data Clerk / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton and red deer2 November 2018
Staff are not treated properly as if they do not do what the manager wants they tend to bully them out.
Also wages are not great for the job they want you to do and expect. Never will recommend this place for employment.
Pros
Cons
Too many
Solitude
Pod Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 October 2018
The day is typically spent in a pod, or a box, sitting in a decently comfy chair occasionally getting up to accept a bagged or boxed donation from customers. Not for everyone. This job taught me it's better to be busy and social than bored and alone. Management was ok, the newest manager doing all he can to improve the company. Workplace culture can't exist when there's almost no interaction allowed with anyone outside of accepting the donations. The hardest part was waiting. The most enjoyable part was.
Pros
Solitude
Cons
Long quiet days alone
awesome workplace
Programs and Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 October 2018
I really enjoyed this job, we travelled, presented presentations, office work, telephone calls, booking appointments. My co-workers were awesome. there was no overtime but that was good. We learned new information about Diabetes. It was a summer job and I did a great job.
working from home
Customer service rep (Current Employee) –  Home Based10 October 2018
sitting st computer for 6 hours making phone calls for donation. ive learned a lot of patients and be kind even in difficult situations. I love my job here just not the hours. im very dependable and love working on my own.
With many changes field staff are often the first to be eliminated and overworked.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 September 2018
Colleagues were nice. Moral was low. Advanced software platforms (CRM). Upper management did not make informed decisions that affected the field work.
Pros
flexible
Cons
stressful
Fun and charitable work place
Administrative Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2018
I did my Intern position with Diabetes canada.
Very good workplace and trained in Ms Access application.
Work culture is Non profit and concentrated on fund raising events.
Pros
Management is very helpful
Cons
limited vacancies
Fun meeting new people, going door-to-door
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2018
I spent two days collecting donations for diabetes. I went to houses in two neighborhoods throughout the NE in Calgary. The most enjoyable part of volunteering was meeting new people. It was nice to see how many people are generous.
a typical day at work
Telephone Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 September 2018
I worked at phoning people on a list, and phoning them to obtain information about their household. I worked for part-time and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pros
phoning
Cons
doing the work
Cancerous management. Unreachable bonuses
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 September 2018
The 5 star review was written by the current manager in London. He is a joke and lies through his teeth.

I was trained on easier routes for my first week with another driver. Then as soon as I was alone my route was expanded and I was expected to work 13 hours on a daily basis.

The pay is only good once you hit overtime. They don't mind paying overtime because they are already under paying you. They can't keep staff so there was always overtime available. However, If you do manage to hit overtime, your body is in such rough shape struggling to get there that it's not really worth it.

A typical day is lifting a combination of bags of clothes or boxes of other smaller things (electronics, toys, kitchen stuff, etc.) weighing a total of 6-8000lbs. You would load this into the truck and then unload it out of the truck in the middle of your run. Driving on average 100km in the route.

Bonuses are few and far between. The most I ever heard someone earned was $37 for a 2 week bonus. There is also a bonus for 100% pick up. This is unachievable because someone always forgets or isn't called. Yet they keep this bonus around, why?

Most people quit without giving notice and don't look back.

Morale there is so low, yet head office doesn't step in and fix things.
Pros
Discount at value village
Cons
Cancerous manager, long days, extremely high expectations
productive place to start experience with
IT Helpdesk Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2018
best work place for experience and knowledge
best environment for starters who want to boost self esteem
best people at most when you work with and they teach you really well detailed
Volunteer, no pay
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
I was a great and professional place to work in.
I was volunteering my time for work experience and part of training course
Administrator and staff were friendly and everyone in the office was great to work with
Amazing, Fun Environment to be
FUNDRAISING ORGANIZER (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 May 2018
I loved working here as a summer student.
We travelled to Banting House in London for meetings, and took a tour of the "birthplace of insulin".

The Windsor Branch has an amazing Manager who is knowledgable, thoughtful, and considerate.

I learned so much about diabetes, and was able to put my fundraising and community building skills to great use.
Pros
Cons
Position was only a contract
Job restructed
Weekend Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB22 May 2018
This job has since been restructured and us no longer available. It was fairly straight forward. Would sit there and help people as them came in to donate their clothes.
Not for Profit Dealing with People affected by Diabetes
COMMUNITY HEALTH PROMOTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 May 2018
Good workplace environment, looking to move toward community development, foundations, events and service clubs. Offers an excellent camp for children with type 1 diabetes and literature for Adults with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Also provides a website and webinars.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Diabetes Canada. Our community is ready to answer.