DFI

DFI Employee Reviews

Canada61 reviews

Solid job not for the faint of heart

It was a great workplace, the in house training and your ability to advance in the oilfield is fantastic they take safety pretty seriously which can seem like a pain but when you get to go home with all your fingers and toes every night you will think differently.I was able to get my Class 1, learned to operate a Hydro vac, learned to lead and train other people, learned Alot about safety culture as well as many many other things the company changed my life.I thought that they paid me quite well and there always seemed to be overtime available as well.Now for the pro/con this job is not for the faint of heart, there are pretty extreme working conditions sometimes. As well there is ALOT of work, you are out of town all the time so if you like to be in the city with your wife, friends or family it can be difficult.I also really enjoyed the people I worked with there are so many stand up women and men at this company it really made coming into work a treat and its nice that the supervisors and safety guys really go to bat for you and actually care about your health and safety the team is is 5 stars.

Pros

Lots of work, great team, great safety culture, good pay, make great friends, Learn alot

Cons

Long hours, lots of out of town work, sometimes management or dispatch makes silly or questionable decisions, can sometimes be a ceiling to your growth inside the company

Great company to work for

Leadership values my professional growth and frequently gives me opportunities to advance in my career. Lots of flexibility in the office. It's very energizing to be at a company that has so much pride in what they do. Everyone is very willing to collaborate and work together.

Pros

Food trucks at the office a few times a year. Able to wear jeans to the office Mon-Fri. Medium sized, private company, so you get to know everyone. Dog-friendly office.

Insights into DFI

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Amazing employees, almost recession proof job security

I would say DFI is one of the best companies out there, that is as long as your someone who wants to work, learn, and are okay with over time. They are a pretty large company yet never make you feel like your just a number.They pay pretty well and if you need to take care of personal or family issues there's no questions asked.Sure sometimes there are hard jobs and long hours at times but that's part of the deal you make for the good wage and more importantly the job security. If your a decent worker and can problem solve I would say definitely give them a try.

A workplace is safe

People on charge are so rude! And you have to be a certain ethnic person to be acceptable in the circle friends, For this reason you get a laid off no matter how hard you work for them.

Pros

Yes free lunches

Cons

I work hard on Sundays

Kiss your free time goodbye

I was hired in Edson, then once my month of DFI training was complete I was moved to a different branch 5hrs away. They provided a mouse infested modular home in their shop yard to share with whoever is in the area. The only time I seen my family was when my hours ran out and I was near edson. They’re probably better now that the log books have to be legal. Either way I would not recommend working there, unorganized and misleading.

Cons

Misleading promotion expectations. Always away.

15 March 2021
We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time at DFI. As a truck driver it is not uncommon to spend time away from your home location, which is something that is explained during the interview process. Our bunk houses are professionally cleaned on a weekly basis, but we encourage employees to notify us if cleanliness standards are not met. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Willing to train guys

the company is willing to train youth run their equipment. I started right from the bottom and within 5 years I was leaf operator for the branch. Only downfall was it was hard to fi d time to get equipment repaired

Really good company to work for

They treat employees very good, there is always tools for everyone, no pressure, one of the best jobs I have ever had, i wouldn't mind working for them again.

The safely is a joke like every little freaking thing got written up and it dumb

I got told the starting salary was 21 then when I got hired they had me at 20 I wouldn’t work the labor-management had no clue what he was doing and everyone hated him

Good hours, endless possibilities of careers. Awesome equipment and facilities

If you're ready to put in the effort it is well worth it. They will train you and get you where you want to be. It's a lifestyle, not for everybody. But if you like working hard, they will like you.

Pros

Equipment, possibilities of careers, overtime

Cons

No set schedule, although fairly easy to get days off at anytime, as long as you ask in advance.

Excellent equipment, upper management to pushy

Equipment and shops in great shape. Management often wanted equipment put on the road that would fail inspection. Pay and incentives were good, but had 2 pay reductions due to economy. Upper management liked to terminate employees with no reason if you fought their decisions to put unsafe equipment on the road.

Pros

Great work spaces

Very Bad Company Backstabber Producers

This place should never exist on this planet. Most of the people that are working there are all related to someone that’s working there or related to the owner, you make mistakes, you’ll be treated as the clown of the entire shop. Very negative place to be if you do not know anyone or not related to anyone watch out! They’ll do tricks on you very low moral low life people if you are so desperate for having a job then maybe this is for you

10 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback. It's unfortunate to hear you did not enjoy your time with DFI. As you are aware, DFI is a local family-owned business and we believe that good people know good people, therefore we hire as such!Should you have any additional comments please feel free to get in touch with the Human Resources department so that we may understand your perspective and implement any necessary changes.

Bad place to work for waste of time

They promised things that are good to hear....only! But in reality....RUN! STAY AWAY owner is the big issue feels like working in different country. Too many foreign workers that do not understand Canadian safety. Place is for low life, desperate and brainless people. Very low moral everyone has a string attached to them to show how to act, owners “PUPPET! Too many backstabber.

10 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback. It's disappointing to hear that you did not have a good experience at DFI. We are very proud of our investment to overhaul and make continuous improvements to our safety program and additionally, we truly value the diversity in our employee base. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Alot of positive changes

In the last 6 months, changes are taking place. The management has been working hard on trying to improve the work culture at DFI. If you are a hard working person with decent integrity, come work at DFI. Smart individuals will move up the ranks quickly. I started in an entry level position and my wage has literally doubled since I've started with the company. I've been treated with respect the entire time.

Pros

Above average pay, lots of hours, improved management

Cons

Last minute call-ins to work

13 September 2019
Thank you so much for your feedback! We are happy to hear that you are noticing an improvement in the overall culture.We wish you success and continued growth with DFI.

Overall a great experience

Great learning environment to see different mechanic tasks and learn the way of the work place, very enjoyable, co-workers are very friendly and are there to help.

Pros

Was a great learning experience

good

very interesting place to work as the product we build is highly engineered. Although seem relatively simple, once you get into things change quickly. Various products, challenge sometimes

Great Place to learn

Dfi has helped me grow my career, while still allowing me time to be home everynight. The staff here are very knowledgeable and willing to teach, and help work through problems. The Diversity of work means a wide variety of jobs to do, which keeps it interesting. I would definetely recommend DFI to anyone with an eagerness to learn and grow their skill set.

Pros

Company outings (golf), lunches and bbq’s, friendly staff

Cons

Some jobs can be frustrating

amazing company ot work for lots of room to improve when there is work

Had a great time working here when there was work. Made lots moves within the company until they ran out of work and had to many employees to maintain everyone busy.

Pros

fun experience

Cons

to many employees to keep busy

if you need a challenge work here

a typical day for me is being challenged on many levels, people, equipment, time management. i have learned many things working here to be patience and understanding and have grown my knowledge of trade skills by being able to troubleshoot and repair our one off equipment. the management in my opinion has done a 180 degree turn something changed but change has been good. as management has changed the culture is changing for the better keep moving forward guys your doing a good job. the hardest part is part of the challenge look at my typical day. the most enjoyable part of the job is that i have been given the opportunity to achieve a big goal to lead a team of great people proving there is a different way of doing things and making the Company as a hole look better and be better at what we do. having the opportunity to talk with the operators and supervisors lots of good fun always makes my day better.

ok but needs some changes

really loved my job at dfi but no job securement, seniority, favorite always come first, no schedules, always on calls, do as you say or go home mentality,

Pros

paid travel

Cons

management

Office Work

This job was great. Administrating was/is something I enjoy cause the work is always a little different every day. The pay was fantastic, and I had a wonderful teacher to show me how the program worked. My issue was with the management. They would tell you you were doing find and then all of a sudden you find out you weren't. It is what you make of it. If you are a sensitive soul, I wouldn't recommend this workplace. But? If you are a little tougher around the edges then maybe this will be the place for you.

Pros

Independent work environment for the most part

Cons

Severe lack of communication from management

30 August 2018
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the autonomy of your position. We also appreciate your comments regarding communication, and will be reviewing this with our management team. We pride ourselves on continuous improvement to ensure that DFI remains a great place to work!

The spray work is great but the rest

The spray work is great and fun to do but the rest is...IDK. the management is a little sloppy they don't give you much heads up of when a job is getting started and when they tell you it's like "Oh you be here tomorrow" and by here they mean Fort mac or something little shotty. But the rest is fine. The paint supervisor and the workers are all really solid ad great. The other workers are pretty friendly as well.

Pros

Good job(in general) people are friendly, Free first aid Level 3 course

Cons

Baf managment

30 August 2018
Thank you for your review. Due to the nature of our industry and the fact we are a service provider, we must adapt to the needs of our customers.This is something we strongly stress during the interview process. DFI promotes a work-life balance, and as such we ensure that employees are able to enjoy time away from work. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed working with the people at DFI. We wish you well in your next opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DFI. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement