Devon Energy Employee Reviews

Great place for a college student to learn about office work.
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 January 2015
A typical day at work always changed for me. I got to enter time sheet, enter inspection reports, and did lots of filling. I learned how a office environment was all about. I never really got to meet the company management, but the lady I worked under was very pleasant to work for. Co-workers were very pleasant and always willing to help me with anything I had questions about. I can't think of anything that would have been the hardest as I was only doing it as work experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was going out to the Devon Gas Plant and getting a tour then working for a few hours in the office.
Guys on the floor are good but management is very poor.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB. Jackfish plants30 June 2014
Work was good, camp was good, pay was good but the management was terrible. The always made empty promises and never ever had your back. If you had an opinion you better keep it to yourself or be prepared to look for work. If you get on the wrong side of a boss they will just get rid of you even if you are a good worker and don't cause problems because you think for yourself. I worked there for 4 years and saw 4 people get let go with a cheque and no good reason to have left.
Pros
time off and pay
Cons
Great company - poor people management
Communications and Design Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2014
I worked at Devon for seven years, and at my performance review at the end of each, I asked for more challenge and responsibility. Not once was my request addressed - so I maintained a flat trajectory for the duration of my work life there. Work/life balance? Salary? Fantastic. Job satisfaction and management? Not so good.
Positive experience
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2014
This company is highly regarded in the industry and I have thoroughly enjoyed my limited time here
they say its like home. unless you like sleeping with men!
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB19 September 2013
management and panel operators get retention bonus. the rest get 0. equal bull. like one manager said we can get monkeys to run plant. well have not seen them there yet. maybe he was referring to his siblings or family. flights given to B.C. and Alberta workers rest get your own way to work. then they preach safety on the highways. lots of favoritism.
Pros
wild life and thats not the monkeys either.
Cons
Preservative foods Preservative foods mmmmmm! no taste no flavor!
Fun environment
Assistant Plant Operator (Practicum) (Former Employee) –  Fairview, AB2 August 2013
Its a rotating shift work with 12 hours per shift, 28 days rotation. I learned Natural Gas process from wells to sales. The management were nice, they are very concerned about safety of individual. My mentors were great, taught me safety procedures, like doing repairs. They are very supportive. Hardest part of the Job is you have to work in any type of weather condition but I dont mind it. The most enjoyable part of this job is everyday challenge. You have to use all your senses.
Pros
profit sharing for regular employees
Cons
no pay for practicum students
Great place to work.
Communications and Design Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2013
Great remuneration. Great benefits. Great overall company to work for. Learning provided, flexible hours if required, good teamwork. Management can be ego driven, and advancement is limited.
Pros
free flavoured coffee in kitchens!
Cons
not always opportunities given for advancement.
Devon needs management shake up
asset (Former Employee) –  calgary10 April 2013
worked for few year in the thermal side of Devon Canada.
Devon needs to send some of the mid and high level management back to school. They just know simple gas reservoir and can not handle the SAGD complexity.
devon also needs to change the simplified view of thermal projects and get to the details or stick to gas business and sell the SAGD.
Pros
steady pay no real challenge
Cons
no real future
Was good company to work for but was there only there for 4 yrs. and seen high high turnover of operators.
Gas Plant operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC13 March 2013
Start my day. Drive to my sour plant. Walk through plant. If nothing pressing go review wells on SCADA. Then do dailly books and plan day. Winter time alot of dealing with hydrates using all methods. Changing particle and coal filters. Dealt with water plant at camp..Operated turbines, wakashaws,and ajax..Taken many courses through Devon. Well and compressor optimization. Trouble shooting catydines..countless saftey courses..

I enjoyed working for Devon. And recomend them as place of employemnet...If you become an employee not contractor.
Pros
great people to work with. give saftey as number one.
Cons
high turn over for contractors..
Good job security because there is no accountability
Operator (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta4 January 2013
It's so hilarious about the last commenter mentioning how hard they try to tell you - never show you - that they are the best oil company to work for, because I experienced the same thing.

My experience was that management/supervisor expectations for employee performance were very low, and in turn, they expected you to collect a paycheque without showing any ambition to do more.

There is too much of an old boys club in the field; too many supervisors hiring their buddies and far too many complacent Anderson Exploration/Home Oil guys running the show.
Pros
- hourly rates are very good and they are willing to spend money to fix problems
Cons
don't expect a career, it's just a job
stay away, poor name in the industry
operator (Former Employee) –  alberta18 October 2012
- Zero trust
- I learned there are better places to work
- Poor very old school management
- Work with some good guys
- Very strange company, would always tell you how great a place it is to work, over and over. Have never had a job like that before
- Best part of the day was leaving,

- There are much better places to work
Pros
a pay cheque, not much else.
Cons
micromanagement
Great place to work as long as you don't mind being treated with a kindergarten mentality.
Competent, hard worker. (Former Employee) –  Calgary23 September 2012
Hmmm. Great place to work until 2009. Open door policy?...........
Hmmm.... Don't even think about rocking the boat. "Cult like" policies
and procedures. Seems they will hire anyone. There was a girl who showed up in " Hello Kitty" attire every day. Hmmm....
Pros
great atmosphere until 2009....then things started to get a liitle strange....very tense.
Cons
favortism, management overlooks sub par performance, more concerned if you are 5 minutes late than what is accomplished at overall.
A very good company to work with
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Canada21 March 2012
A very good company to work with. It is nice being part of the SAp implementation project at Devon.