Devon Energy Employee Reviews

Workplace is fun and workers are accommodating
SENIOR PLANNER/SCHEDULER (Former Employee) –  Alberta7 April 2018
I have so much fun working with the company specially working with my team wherein they are all very helpful, also the environment is so conducive and I fell safe working in the office and at site.
Fun place to work, great accommodations
Materials & Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2018
Jackfish Lodge in Conklin, AB is the finest camp in the region.
All facilities you need including a movie theater, hockey rink & 2 baseball diamonds.
All the comforts of home.
Pros
Too many to list, friendly staff, great food
Cons
zero cons
Great Company to work for
FIELD PRODUCTION OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB22 February 2018
Can't say anything bad about the company or it's culture was a pleasure to work for them. Commodities buisiness and that has it's ups and downs, but thats a risk with almost any job.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
Commodity business and the risks that come with it
Project Manager (contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2018
bureaucratic at times. This irritating that I have to review a company that I did a contract for only 4 months. do not take this as an accurate reflection on devon
Very thorough, expand your mind
EHS Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2018
With this job you are always learning! Dealing with new health and safety issues daily. You are working with all kinds of people and situations. enjoyed going to work every day.
Productive, Respectful, and Fun Work Environment
Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 October 2017
One thing that keeps Devon above many producer companies is gender equality. This even extends to working in their fields up North. In general, understanding of individuals and their varied needs is well taken into account in this company.
Really good
Contract Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 August 2017
was super good to work for, they bought me on with no operating experience and was willing to train me. it was all good until CNRL bought out Devon and I was let go.
Pros
Great area
Cons
CNRL bought them out
great Company
Pipe Desk Coordinator / Materials Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2017
devon was a great company with solid plans in place. They were fair in all aspects, great people to work with. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Really enjoyed the work I did with Devon
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Kontaneelee, Yukon Territory5 April 2017
I got my best work experience while with Devon. they supported me in working up my levels over the years in every work environment they had up to running my own plants and overseeing everything. the staff right to the home office in Oklahoma seemed available anytime for whatever reasons.
IT Asset Management
Lead Analysis (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
Devon Energy was a good place to work, lots of challenges to manage the IT Asset management role, including the IT Procurement. Canada had a very good handle on their assets showing a 99% accuracy of its assets and Life-cycle management of the assets.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Some weak management lead me to leave the organization.
selfish, not cooprative and fun work place
operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB1 September 2016
It used to be a fun, happy and productive place to work, but after some people left, especially some team leaders left , the culture went to down the average ! There was competing or finger pointing or complaining , but not cooperation and teamwork! Some team worker was so selfish, cold hearted, no caring at all and lots of back stabbing, or trying to give bad or difficult time behind! No common rule for each one, so no fairness there, like covering the corresponding course tuition : some people got covered , so they could move faster by taking part in courses in school! A lot of politics , same mistake , but not same treatment for different people ! the culture not for getting work or company business better , but worse! So glad left!
Pros
pay
Cons
selfish, politics and unfairness, no repect for seniors or hardwork
very good
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Egypt, ON12 August 2016
very big company and very organized and it was a very good experience to work with young expeienced professionals

good work environment and very nice people
A great place to work.
operations/special projects (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, AB22 July 2016
Work was interesting the people were fun to work with and the management were easy to get along with and helpful. The company always tried to keep up with the latest developments and trained their people well.
Pros
good work atmosphere
Cons
quite a few call outs
Good Job, great benefits
Plant / Field Oerator (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, AB6 June 2016
Devon Energy were a great company to work for. Open communication between management and employees. Supported individual growth, just not a lot of room for advancement within district. Excellent benefits
Productive place with many great people working there
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB8 April 2016
Fun place to work a lot of hard work when its needed, but pretty laid back and fun place when everything is running smooth. I learnt a lot about my field not really from the company but mostly from the people that work there. They have a desire to teach those who are willing to learn. The hardest part of the job is working nights, it really throws your sleep pattern off. The pay is definitely the best part of the job. Because it is fly in and out they really compensate you well in that aspect.
Pros
7on - 7off, nice pay and very nice camp.
Professional, solid, career-oriented
District Operations Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2016
Devon Energy is an overall excellent company who values the opinions of their employees.

The organizational structure is refined, with a lot of emphasis placed upon defined desirable leadership attributes (fairness, openness, etc).

Typical days are very busy, but you have the flexibility to achieve results your own way, so long as you are aligned with the team.

Devon is constantly undergoing continuous improvement efforts, and some people may struggle to keep up with the constant influx of changes, however for those to embrace change this will be taken positively.

This is a company you cannot get bored with, and who offers excellent advancement opportunities. You will be working with impassioned, driven, highly skilled individuals on dynamic teams.
Pros
Continuous Improvement, Refined organizational structure, High degree of responsibility and flexibility
Cons
Very fast paced environment may be overwhelming for some
Stifling culture, trapped in the past
Lead, Cloud Engineering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2016
When a company pledges to lead it's industry in new technology adoption, but simply throws technology at a problem instead of cultivating the cultural, process, people issues that are inherent in such a bold pledge, the company is very difficult to take seriously. Add in poor leadership cohesion, no federated direction, and biased/insulated technology leaders, and you get a company that should put itself out of its misery.
Pros
Decent salary and benefits
Cons
Poor structure, bad silos, weak leadership.
Good pay, benefits - but not a place to aggressively grow your career.
Application Services Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 February 2016
I enjoyed my time there, and had lots of exposure to projects & products - however being an Oil & Gas Company their primary focus was definitely NOT Information Technology.
Pros
Good pay, benefits.
Cons
Oil & Gas boom, bust - poor career laddering.
Enjoyed my time with Devon Energy, would still be there if it were not for low oil prices.
Day Shift Swing Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2016
Worked shift work, 7 days on, 7 days off. Did 12 hour shifts, so the days were long, but they went fast as I enjoyed my job. We had a good work environment, and had facilities after work for recreation. I personally enjoyed playing hockey with my fellow employees and squash.
Very Good Place to work
Lead Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2016
I spent 12 years at Devon Energy in various roles in the Project Management office.

Devon afforded me the opportunity to work on application development and IT infrastructure projects. Some highlights include Jackfish 1 SAGD project, Wellcore project and the Cdn Divestiture project.

Great people and great company!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devon Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2