Developmental Disabilities Association

Developmental Disabilities Association Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews
Busy and a constantly on the alert kind of job
It had its great times.
It had its challenging times

Work culture is great if you are full time, not as a casual.

A must to take a course in preventative care management.
Stay away from Azure in Richmond
The job is OK and nothing special. Love working with residents and some of the staff are very helpful and kind. As I am worked for a few houses, I got to know many managers, staff and residents from each house and learnt a lots. However, the manager from Azure house in Richmond is very rude to the staff. I think he has mental health problem. I feel bad for those working at that house. Management is fake and pretend to care about the employees.
lots of physical work
Every day in the morning, need to unload the truck to get room for today's job. driving 1 ton truck around the city to collect donation bins. pack all stuff inside and outside of the bin. Need to clean all garbage around the bin. After packing , stack the bags in the truck. Then drive back to warehouse. Sometimes you need to unload the truck If you finish early.
excellent work environment.
Both the clients and co-workers are wonderful. Supportive management encourages career development through training provided and paid for by the association.
great place to work!
Loved working here. i was casual. always treated well (most of the time) and got along great with staff. unfortunately i had to leave due to long travel times for me. definitely reccomend!
I like to work at DDA, the program is comprehensive, cater to the needs of people with developmental disablities
The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients enjoy their life like everyone else.
The hardest part of the job is seeing clients get frustrated of not being understand.
Pros
in-service training, free on-line courses
Ok place to work
Depending on your department the management is great. They do some fun stuff at Head Office sometimes on special occasions such at lunches and birthday cake every month.
Ótima empresa para trabalhar
Ambiente de trabalho muito agradável, boa relação entre equipe de trabalho, etc.
clients great pay is not
if you work for them and they put you on nights then jut for gt it. thy pay you less then any other stuff but yet you are awake all night and you have to look after clients on your own,
Good Place to work
Awesome staff and Managers to work for, good benefits and flexible work situations and many houses and different positions and locations to work in . A good organization to work for.
Awesome place to work with good compensation!
DDA is the best company I have ever worked for. They value their employees & do whatever it takes to keep the culture a family vibe. The compensation is amazing, and there is plenty of opportunity for growth. The only reason I would leave DDA is to move to a different area.
ok place to work
its fun to work with people and with people with challenges. They become a part of your daily life. the work is enjoyable when you work as a team. it is challenging when management impose new things that are not well thought of.
Good benefits
The pay is okay. The benefits have offset the cost. It really depends on which department you are in and how your coworkers get along with you. I had a great manager that was able to support my needs.
Comfortable place to work at, great company to learn with
They take care of their employees better than many others, especially if staff follow the guidelines. Strict rules regarding salary, overtime and fuel reimbursement are followed. Work safe coverage is given and senior employees are respected.
Pros
Comfortable work conditions in a friendly company
Cons
Sometimes one has to work overtime without being prepared or prior intimation
Enriching and empowering workplace
The Developmental Disabilities Association is a great workplace. I am surrounded by supportive people and always given the opportunity to advance my knowledge and skills with online learning courses and interactions with new people. Some days can be long and unpredictable, but making a difference in other people's lives far outweighs this.
Pros
Training
It was a day program where I helped support 30 adult with developmental disabilities
* assisted and supported different clients in there day to day activities. ie, supported a lift required for an individual to use the washroom, helped remind others of day to day needs like proper food eating skills to avoid choking
Pros
Amazing clients to work with
Cons
limited career advancement
Nice place to work
Nice place to work and learn.
I enjoy working with clients; as well enjoy being responsible for the direct supervision of all staff within the Group

Home and Day Program.

Pros
free lunches
Cons
shift work
Working at home is great because I can choose my own hours
A typical day of working at home, is I would contact all of the people in our data base, and ask if they have any clothing to donatem, and house hold items, and if they do, I would arrage a pick up time for the donations, by letting the donar know what time the truck is coming, so that they could have the items ready in a bag outside on their front porch with DDA written on the bag.

There were no co workers to deal with, because I worked at home. The hardest part of the job was

when some of people who promised to donate forgot to follow through, even if some one else reminded them. But for the most part 86% of mine did follow through.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when I would count how many promises of donations I got per hour, and if it totalled to 6.5-7 per hour then I knew I met my quota, and that I had done a great job.
Pros
not wasting time commuting
Cons
there was no cons
Stagnating work
Not productive...not much learning scope - management not very proactive