Destination Canada Employee Reviews

3.8Pay & Benefits
3.3Job Security & Advancement
New Sr Management extremely political
Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 February 2019
"Apple-Polishing" will get you somewhere, not your efforts or hard work. Upper management is extremely detached to their staff. It's a culture of Sr Management vs Staff.
Fun workplace that allows for experience in an education setting
Camp Councillor (Former Employee) –  Carleton University5 December 2014
I learned how to manage a large group of young kids appropriately and keep them engaged. Management was very friendly and open to dialogue. The hardest part of the job is that although the hours are 3-11 pm, you often have to be more involved than that to do an excellent job.
Pros
Food and board covered
Cons
Different schedule
ESL Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 July 2014
This perhaps was one of my favourite jobs I have ever had.

It was a summer position, so I worked for about 7 weeks in July and August. The camp hired certified teachers to teach ESL to foreign children. I worked for this camp for 2 different summers.

I was responsible for teaching English to students from Mexico, Central America, Europe and Quebec. I also was required to take these students on weekend outings.

Each day was structured into classroom periods, lunch and activities. All with the aim to have students learn English. A benefit to this position often times as a teacher you would be introduced to their languages as well.

The toughest challenge you will face is having to teach students who do not know English and you do not know their language. You learn quickly, your lesson plans need adjustment, they need adjustment on the fly and right away. As much as this is the toughest challenge it also is the most enjoyable and rewarding. To finally bridge that gap and see them learning, even one word, that is success.

Another challenge is having to see children become homesick. They are with their friends and group however they are away from home. You connect with them as a teacher and student will do and you quickly find out the challenges are far beyond learning English. It is at times in those situations that your teaching English becomes easiest. This is due to them reaching out to you as someone they trust.

The camp director and their liaisons are excellent and fully supportive.

I learned to be resourceful and to accept that your plan will at times
  more... need to change and it needs to change as quickly as possible.  less
Pros
Being able to teach
Cons
This was only summer work